How old is your current driver?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How old is your current driver?

• my driver is 0 to 3 years old
    • my driver is 4 to 9 years old
    • my driver is older than 9 years
    • I do not have a driver in my bag

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2024 at 06:00 PM

OK. So I still use a titanium driver ie Cobra AMP from 2012/13.  I know the current drivers are more forgiving and probably offer more distance but I am struggling with the sound of the carbon fiber and naturally the cost of a new driver.  The latest technology has peaked my interest in that the face of these new drivers offer much more forgiveness.  I believe that Ping offered this a few years ago and others are catching up.   Digging deeper, I read an article that the difference between drivers are very minimal and that you must choose the one that looks the best and provides the most confidence when you take your stance.  I think that Taylormade and Callaway have accomplished this.. Cobra has as well with the new matte finish.   Let me know your thoughts and take the poll. 

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

Cool poll - hopefully you get a lot of participants.  

Beyond a doubt you will get more forgiveness from a newer driver than from a 2012 one - If you weren't fit for that driver, it's possible that you will pick up significant distance on sweet spot strikes as well - OEMs offer a lot more shaft options than they did then.  We have another thread on here about one our members who picked up a good deal of yardage in a fitting by finding a head shaft combo that maximized his launch/spin rate - clubhead speed and ball speed didn't change, in fact ball speed was a bit slower with his new combo but he picked up a lot of carry distance.

You could save some money by going back a couple of years - for Taylor Made it would be the Stealth - two generations earlier - Not as sure what the name of the Callaway one would be for that iteration but same thing - 

BTW I was much longer with my Ping G2 than my current driver - oh wait I was 20 years young then, too. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am looking to replace my Ping G400 Max driver that is 6 years old.  I love it but ... it might be time for a new one.  Thank goodness I use a goldendoodle headcover so my wife won't know when I get a new one.  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I just got a used SIM2max driver last year. In good condition, but still struggling with keeping it straight. Can’t seem to get rid of this damn fade/slice no matter what I do. I know it’s not the driver because when I do hit it good once in a blue moon, it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avid golfer always looking to get better!

I replaced my Callaway XR16 last year after my game had changed a lot (for the better thankfully). Now using the Taylormade Stealth 2. My plan is to get a full bag fitting every few years and see if there are any meaningful changes 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently gaming a Callaway Mavrik. I am looking at the Paradym from last year and the new Smoke Ai. Will be hitting each and comparing off center results with my current numbers and adjustability. Will definitely switch out this year, just not sure when.

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Irons:  :Takomo: 101T (4-PW)
  • Wedges:  :Takomo: Skyforger 52, 56, 60
  • Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 9 degree (S/D)
  • Woods: :callaway-small: Mavrik 3 (15 degree), Mavrik 5 (18 degree)
  • Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Ai-ONE Milled 6 T DB
  • Balls:    :maxfli: Tour / Tour X
  • Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

2 hours ago, ZoonORama said:

I am currently gaming a Callaway Mavrik. I am looking at the Paradym from last year and the new Smoke Ai. Will be hitting each and comparing off center results with my current numbers and adjustability. Will definitely switch out this year, just not sure when.

@ZoonORama I’m fascinated by how much the Callaway Paradym in mint or new condition lost value (like $150-ish) once the Smoke was announced. I’m now toying with the idea of testing and spec-ing a Smoke and then waiting until next year to pick one up. Thoughts on this?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Still gaming the Taylormade SLDR 430 I got fit for at The Kingdom in 2014 at the MGS event.  I did swap the shaft from a Diamana Whiteboard to a Ventus Black a couple years back.  Technically I'm on my 2nd head since the first started to dent in the face a couple years ago (thanks @The Dansome)

I've tried anywhere from 1-3 new drivers pretty much every year since I got it and have yet to find anything that can kick it out of the bag

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

1 hour ago, Hacker60521 said:

@ZoonORama I’m fascinated by how much the Callaway Paradym in mint or new condition lost value (like $150-ish) once the Smoke was announced. I’m now toying with the idea of testing and spec-ing a Smoke and then waiting until next year to pick one up. Thoughts on this?

Yes, golf club manufacturers come out with something "new" every year and consumers must weigh the price to performance with the latest and greatest to the previous models. I am with you on this one.  Thank you for your comments.

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

28 minutes ago, in3948 said:

Yes, golf club manufacturers come out with something "new" every year and consumers must weigh the price to performance with the latest and greatest to the previous models. I am with you on this one.  Thank you for your comments.

This is the first year I have bought the years newest model. In the past I have with Golf Clubs and Cell Phones waited for two years and there is still brand new stick but its half what it was new. I made the mistake this year of spending an hour on the range with GC Quad and that PING G430 MAX 10K and had to have it. I knew better but I fell for it. If you have a good gamer and are smart about your money wait a couple years!! So many guys would never think about spending over 80 for a round but they buy a 700 dollar driver and 1200 irons every year 🤣

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

2016 Callaway Fusion that I bought off the shelf in late 2018 (IIRC).  Last spring I did a side-by-side comparison with the Ping G430 Max and got identical numbers for carry, launch, spin.  A couple months later I broke the UST Recoil 460 F3 shaft at the adapter which was repairable.  Lost about 1 1/4” at the tip and an extension was inserted at the butt.  Might play a bit stiffer but I haven’t noticed any difference.  

I’m going to start investigating new drivers and likely replace in about 2 years unless it breaks again.  All new clubs look amazing but I like to put my money where it will do the most good.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour