Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

QC KBS shafts

I was fitted into a set of KBS C-Taper 130X iron shafts. I have heard that KBS is among the lowest rated in terms of tolerance standards and QC. I was wondering if this is still an issue and if it’s worth going through the process of having the shafts pured?

Ryan Benefield

27 Pro golfers have KBS shafts to include Cam Champ, DJ, Fowler, Mickelson, and Homa to name a few. I’ve not read or seen anything that states KBS has poor QC. If I wanted to switch I’d choose them because they give me more feedback. They’re just a little more expensive than the Dynamic Gold shafts that I also got well and like the feel of. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

I play the Tour V and have loves them. Haven't had any issues or really heard of others having issues. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

9 hours ago, Rbenefield said:

I was fitted into a set of KBS C-Taper 130X iron shafts. I have heard that KBS is among the lowest rated in terms of tolerance standards and QC. I was wondering if this is still an issue and if it’s worth going through the process of having the shafts pured?

I'd be interested in where you read/saw this.  Any links for those of us who are curious?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

15 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I'd be interested in where you read/saw this.  Any links for those of us who are curious?

I’d be interested in reading that article as well

Ping Prime Tyne 4

9 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

27 Pro golfers have KBS shafts to include Cam Champ, DJ, Fowler, Mickelson, and Homa to name a few. I’ve not read or seen anything that states KBS has poor QC. If I wanted to switch I’d choose them because they give me more feedback. They’re just a little more expensive than the Dynamic Gold shafts that I also got well and like the feel of. 

Keep in mind the shafts that go out on tour are picked for consistency and measured to the nth degree. The retail shafts don't go through the same levels of consistency and quality controls. 

Of all the shaft brands, I see more bent tips on kbs shafts than any other brand, especially when it comes to people that swing hard. 

My bag is a revolving door!

27 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Keep in mind the shafts that go out on tour are picked for consistency and measured to the nth degree. The retail shafts don't go through the same levels of consistency and quality controls. 

Of all the shaft brands, I see more bent tips on kbs shafts than any other brand, especially when it comes to people that swing hard. 

Not necessarily true. They may not go through the same qc process that the tour sorted ones do but there are manufacturers that check shafts and if one in an order is off they ship back the whole order. I and a few golfing buddies have had delays in clubs waiting for shafts from titleist because their order had bad shafts.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

55 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

It was in conversation with a couple different fitters. Several that I trust vs just trying to sell me on a service. 

Ryan Benefield

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not necessarily true. They may not go through the same qc process that the tour sorted ones do but there are manufacturers that check shafts and if one in an order is off they ship back the whole order. I and a few golfing buddies have had delays in clubs waiting for shafts from titleist because their order had bad shafts.

This is primarily what I have heard. That when club builders/fitters have received some orders, there is occasionally at least one bad shaft in the set that needs to be addressed and reordered. I like to do my own builds and this is my primary concern for when I get them in. 

Ryan Benefield

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What I'm saying is that there will be zero bad shafts that make it out on to a tour truck because they've all been inspected. The retail shafts aren't inspected that tightly which is why Titleist has to inspect them and send them back if they're bad. 

For the regular person ordering shafts, we don't get the further inspected shafts. 

My bag is a revolving door!

36 minutes ago, Rbenefield said:

This is primarily what I have heard. That when club builders/fitters have received some orders, there is occasionally at least one bad shaft in the set that needs to be addressed and reordered. I like to do my own builds and this is my primary concern for when I get them in. 

It’s not just kbs. Nippon had major delays because shipments were sent back.

See below for further opinion on this. Kbs imo and experience has great shafts and very few issues. I’ve played 3 different shafts from them and a golfing buddy it’s the only shaft he will play. He is $ taper fan

31 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

What I'm saying is that there will be zero bad shafts that make it out on to a tour truck because they've all been inspected. The retail shafts aren't inspected that tightly which is why Titleist has to inspect them and send them back if they're bad. 

For the regular person ordering shafts, we don't get the further inspected shafts. 

We will have to agree to disagree because every shaft can’t be tested when they are mass produced and like any qc product which is something I’ve done in a past life is you check a certain number of the product out of whatever management determines. If no issues you move on. If a shaft tested by titleist or whoever wasn’t tested by the shaft manufacturer it could be a single bad shaft and the rest is fine or it could be a full order of bad shafts

There is enough QC at the major manufacturers that I don’t think what the OP was told is true 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:33 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

We will have to agree to disagree because every shaft can’t be tested when they are mass produced and like any qc product which is something I’ve done in a past life is you check a certain number of the product out of whatever management determines. If no issues you move on. If a shaft tested by titleist or whoever wasn’t tested by the shaft manufacturer it could be a single bad shaft and the rest is fine or it could be a full order of bad shafts

There is enough QC at the major manufacturers that I don’t think what the OP was told is true

This is what I read about shaft manufacturers. It's not different QC for tour shafts vs what shafts are sent out to us in the public sector. Are there going to be bad shafts that get through their QC process? Of course. It's the same for club heads. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I proceeded to order the black edition c taper 130x 3-SW (9 total shafts). Everything came in perfect with the exception of one shaft. It had a slightly bent tip. Package was not damaged so this appears to be a defect from the manufacturer. I contacted my KBS rep and they promptly sent out a replacement shaft. 

IMG_7387.jpeg

Ryan Benefield