Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Perfectly UNPERFECT: THE GRIND FOR (NON)Perfection

Day 1

• Completed the Series intro ✅
  • Did a Vlog (man that is embarrassing)✅
  • Walked 9 holes on the short course ✅
    • I was super excited to use my new Shot Scope X5 watch, but I got to the course and the firmware was not fully up-to-date. I played the very front tees today. Working on accuracy from 75-150 as well as putting.
  • Read some more of a book called "Extreme Ownership". If you are a leader, PLEASE READ THIS BOOK. ✅

image.png

Samuel Hanvey 

I have a feeling we need a separate thread created to house everyone's quests and journals! I am excited to follow along and as I mentioned in @BreakfastBall15 thread, I plan on doing the same in my quest to break 80 this year. I think taking the time to journal and talk about rounds/practice will go a long way in pushing you towards your goal. As for the Barstool Classic, I totally get the nerves. I played in my first competition last year and toe shanked my hybrid OB on the first tee and played horribly most of the day, but learned a ton. I would say just try and embrace the moment, HAVE FUN, and use it as a learning event. LETS GOO!!!

:ping-small: G400 Max, 9°, hzrdus smoke black

:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: G425 4H, Stock Stiff

:taylormade-small: M4 5H, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: i210 5-PW, Blue Dot, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Kushin C

:taylormade-small: TP5x Pix

:Arccos: Sensors

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor

I’ll follow.  Since you have already Broke 90 and an 18 ‘cap, I think breaking 85 is very achievable… maybe sooner than you think.

When you post about your rounds, mention the hole where the score wasn’t good and why you think that happened.  What’s your plan for next time you play the hole, and what are you going to practice to improve.  Focus on the part of your game that caused the problem.

Best of luck!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Heck yeah man! Loved the vlog. Best of luck at the Barstool Classic, I get the nerves but everyone out there is so worried about their own games so enjoy the process. Excited to follow along this journey with you and @Karls0991 once he gets his started! I'll have to check out that book as well.

Big thanks to @GolfSpy_KFT for the OG thread and inspiring us to continue the trend!

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

@Samuel09152 absolutely love the VLOG! For me, getting to know everyone on here on as personal of a note as possible is one of my favorite things. I too have struggled with my mental health over the past couple years and have struggled for about as long as I can remember with negative self talk and self doubt. For a long time I kept that to myself because I didn't want to feel like a burden to anyone else and it impacted quite a few of my personal relationships. Once I let myself talk about it and shed some very real tears of frustration in the process (no shame), it helped me realize there were outlets in people who cared about me that I could confide in to help better navigate those tough stretched. So thank you for sharing that, and know you've got a support system here should you need it. Emotional rant over. 😅

Now, back to the fun golf stuff! Love that you are fully embracing the challenge we all face in working towards more consistent and lower scores. Good luck in preparation for the Barstool Classic and know that you have an entire army of supporters here on the forum!

I played in my first actual competitive event last year at a member/guest tournament at my club and struggled initially but settled down and played some decent golf for where my game was at at the time after I just let myself play and not worry about what other people thought.  My uncle and I didn't make the playoff round, but I have been working my butt off so that we can make it and compete for the championship this year. I would say it's a safe bet you'll do well at the event!

Looking forward to seeing you break down the 85 barrier and beyond!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

32 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Heck yeah man! Loved the vlog. Best of luck at the Barstool Classic, I get the nerves but everyone out there is so worried about their own games so enjoy the process. Excited to follow along this journey with you and @Karls0991 once he gets his started! I'll have to check out that book as well.

Big thanks to @GolfSpy_KFT for the OG thread and inspiring us to continue the trend!

Thanks man. I dont like being on camera, but I figure why not? lets get to were we need to be. I have been told that about the BSC. My only problem, is they unknowingly added pressure by saying I am the reason they are coming to Alabama lol 🤣 Stupid Twitter/X lol  I cant wait to read your journey as well as @Karls0991. Maybe towards the end of the year we can do a meet up with the OG ( @GolfSpy_KFT), and hit some balls around as a spies collab. Just spit balling here. The book is an intense form of leadership written from two NAVY SEALS, so just get your mind right. 

and big thanks to him. Been thinking of this but no courage here. 

38 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I’ll follow.  Since you have already Broke 90 and an 18 ‘cap, I think breaking 85 is very achievable… maybe sooner than you think.

When you post about your rounds, mention the hole where the score wasn’t good and why you think that happened.  What’s your plan for next time you play the hole, and what are you going to practice to improve.  Focus on the part of your game that caused the problem.

Best of luck!!

I use a Journel 18 for most rounds that aren't practice, so I will definetly let this go to it. I am an anayltics guy by trade, so I can assure you alot of these answers will be answered, and as far as drills/practice, and stratgy, I hope to be able to contribute that as well. 

39 minutes ago, Karls0991 said:

I have a feeling we need a separate thread created to house everyone's quests and journals! I am excited to follow along and as I mentioned in @BreakfastBall15 thread, I plan on doing the same in my quest to break 80 this year. I think taking the time to journal and talk about rounds/practice will go a long way in pushing you towards your goal. As for the Barstool Classic, I totally get the nerves. I played in my first competition last year and toe shanked my hybrid OB on the first tee and played horribly most of the day, but learned a ton. I would say just try and embrace the moment, HAVE FUN, and use it as a learning event. LETS GOO!!!

CAN'T wait for yours to drop! its going to be great! this is gonna a good time. Like i mentioned above let's get to it. Find joy in the process! LETS GO!!

Samuel Hanvey 

Great job so far!  Looking forward to following along on the journey!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

@Samuel09152 You may or may not know me. But I am typically a ball buster (get it). But I wanted to let you know I’m watching. Keep up the good work and I might even help you to break 85. But you need to do two things.

1. Use a yellow ball or all bets are off.
2. Follow through on your commitments.

Fail and become a victim of the Yellow Ball Roast’s thread.

IMG_1698_Original.jpeg.839b98524c29e2fa2f987ef630e3b09f.jpeg
I’m watching, always watching.

This is great! Love seeing everybody setting goals and then working to absolutely crush them! Best of luck at the BSC, I know who my money is on. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I'm gonna have to look into the Journal 18. I track most of my stuff on 18 birdies but I think writing them down might be better for me

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

@Samuel09152 absolutely love the VLOG! For me, getting to know everyone on here on as personal of a note as possible is one of my favorite things. I too have struggled with my mental health over the past couple years and have struggled for about as long as I can remember with negative self talk and self doubt. For a long time I kept that to myself because I didn't want to feel like a burden to anyone else and it impacted quite a few of my personal relationships. Once I let myself talk about it and shed some very real tears of frustration in the process (no shame), it helped me realize there were outlets in people who cared about me that I could confide in to help better navigate those tough stretched. So thank you for sharing that, and know you've got a support system here should you need it. Emotional rant over. 😅

Now, back to the fun golf stuff! Love that you are fully embracing the challenge we all face in working towards more consistent and lower scores. Good luck in preparation for the Barstool Classic and know that you have an entire army of supporters here on the forum!

I played in my first actual competitive event last year at a member/guest tournament at my club and struggled initially but settled down and played some decent golf for where my game was at at the time after I just let myself play and not worry about what other people thought.  My uncle and I didn't make the playoff round, but I have been working my butt off so that we can make it and compete for the championship this year. I would say it's a safe bet you'll do well at the event!

Looking forward to seeing you break down the 85 barrier and beyond!

To your first part, the self doubt and negative self talk is so real! My wife has been good with helping and a couple of friends as well. I’ve been talking to my doctor about it too. Some people get it but most don’t. I’m thankful for everything though and growing. Thank you for saying this stuff though! And the support! 

Im excited but nervous! I also think I’m to ready accept however it goes. Regardless it’ll be fun, my partner and I are wearing the 1999 Ryder Cup gear! 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

This is great! Love seeing everybody setting goals and then working to absolutely crush them! Best of luck at the BSC, I know who my money is on. 

Put it on the guy I get my lessons on lol 

Samuel Hanvey 

3 hours ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I'm gonna have to look into the Journal 18. I track most of my stuff on 18 birdies but I think writing them down might be better for me

To me it is worth it from some points, only thing I wish it had was a score page. I do plot my shots and I love the pre-round goals and how they set it up technical, mental, and tactical. It also ask what you focus is for the round. During the round you have fairway charts and greens to plot on, and then a post round review based on your pre round review

Samuel Hanvey 

Should have seen this coming.... After talking about mental toughness and the grind/trusting this process, I played quite possibly the worse 9 holes on a par 27 course I have ever played... Started out with a 165 flag on the front, and I hit the ball nearly onto the green for 17. (Black X was tee, Black x with circle green, red x is were my ball landed.) Even though from up high this doesn't look terrible, I have made this shot all more times then not, and I am more upset that I didn't go through my pre-shot routine. I didn't start this practice 9 with the simple stuff so how can I think this stuff will ever stick. I rushed it, like i did most of the round. Amazing part I ended up scrambling and put my chip on the finge sitting 3. Chipped it within 4 feet and sinking the putt to make bogey. Moral victory, ahhh who am I kidding that is a big win for me. 

image.png.703358a14737722dc180d60e6dcc7a32.png

Unfortunately for the gentleman I was playing with, someone I have never met (I will get into that in a min), he was in for a long 9. To be fair we were the only 2some on the coures sandwiched in between 5 groups on each side of 4somes. It was absolutely packed today. By the 4th hole, I was +7 and just not having fun. While the guy I was playing with was a good ole guy from the country, like myself, I was/am discouraged. I debated on leaving, but I knew I would have to write this saying that I was a baby about how things were going and said "(insert any and all bad words) it". I guess it was time to MAN UP, and find a positive right? So I stayed. I hated it, if I'm being honest. I ended up just started to worry about my close game since I couldnt get a GIR or even get it off the tee for that matter (YES IT GOT THAT BAD). I ended up just counting the number of chips and putts for 50 yards in, which I feel like is really improving. See there is a positive in this practice round (Just hold on, there could be more).  

Things I could have done different:

Controlled my game (i.e. Tempo, pre-shot, aim, basically everything that matters)

Remembered it was a game and that I am not a pro

and MAKE CONTACT WITH THE LITTLE BALL BEFORE THE BIG BALL (dad joke)

After the embrassment with this new friend, he gave me his card and said call him if I ever wanted to play. Nice guy really is. Felt bad that he saw my bad attitude. On the way home I called my wife as always and we talked. She could tell that I was dissappointed in my game today, but was supportive as always. She is a real one. In the back ground, I could hear AC just cutting up, probably attacking our dogs. At this point I started thinking about everything in this round and then the next 15 rounds ahead (I rarely live in the present), and my wife said, "Sam, where are your feet?" 

-This is our way of getting me back to the present, foucs on the now, and what is important. It re-centers me, and sadly this happens more then it should. I will be the first to admit, that even if I am present I am likely not all the way present. -

Anyway, it hit me. "What is the pressure for?" - This is the mental game that I eluded to yesterday. I have everything I need. I have the tools in the shed to break 85 if i can get out of my own way and just hit the blasted ball (yes I know there is more to it then that). I've been close, just got to play the game. JUST PLAY THE GAME! Remember what is truly important. 

So as for today, I guess you can say I hit that stupid @Yellow Ball around and then worked on beating my brain into submission. 

WELP onwards and upwards. Right? 

Samuel Hanvey 

9 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Should have seen this coming.... After talking about mental toughness and the grind/trusting this process, I played quite possibly the worse 9 holes on a par 27 course I have ever played... Started out with a 165 flag on the front, and I hit the ball nearly onto the green for 17. (Black X was tee, Black x with circle green, red x is were my ball landed.) Even though from up high this doesn't look terrible, I have made this shot all more times then not, and I am more upset that I didn't go through my pre-shot routine. I didn't start this practice 9 with the simple stuff so how can I think this stuff will ever stick. I rushed it, like i did most of the round. Amazing part I ended up scrambling and put my chip on the finge sitting 3. Chipped it within 4 feet and sinking the putt to make bogey. Moral victory, ahhh who am I kidding that is a big win for me. 

Unfortunately for the gentleman I was playing with, someone I have never met (I will get into that in a min), he was in for a long 9. To be fair we were the only 2some on the coures sandwiched in between 5 groups on each side of 4somes. It was absolutely packed today. By the 4th hole, I was +7 and just not having fun. While the guy I was playing with was a good ole guy from the country, like myself, I was/am discouraged. I debated on leaving, but I knew I would have to write this saying that I was a baby about how things were going and said "(insert any and all bad words) it". I guess it was time to MAN UP, and find a positive right? So I stayed. I hated it, if I'm being honest. I ended up just started to worry about my close game since I couldnt get a GIR or even get it off the tee for that matter (YES IT GOT THAT BAD). I ended up just counting the number of chips and putts for 50 yards in, which I feel like is really improving. See there is a positive in this practice round (Just hold on, there could be more).  

Controlled my game (i.e. Tempo, pre-shot, aim, basically everything that matters)

After the embrassment with this new friend, he gave me his card and said call him if I ever wanted to play. Nice guy really is. Felt bad that he saw my bad attitude. On the way home I called my wife as always and we talked. She could tell that I was dissappointed in my game today, but was supportive as always. She is a real one. In the back ground, I could hear AC just cutting up, probably attacking our dogs. At this point I started thinking about everything in this round and then the next 15 rounds ahead (I rarely live in the present), and my wife said, "Sam, where are your feet?" 

-This is our way of getting me back to the present, foucs on the now, and what is important. It re-centers me, and sadly this happens more then it should. I will be the first to admit, that even if I am present I am likely not all the way present. -

Anyway, it hit me. "What is the pressure for?" - This is the mental game that I eluded to yesterday. I have everything I need. I have the tools in the shed to break 85 if i can get out of my own way and just hit the blasted ball (yes I know there is more to it then that). I've been close, just got to play the game. JUST PLAY THE GAME! Remember what is truly important. 

So as for today, I guess you can say I hit that stupid @Yellow Ball around and then worked on beating my brain into submission. 

I’ve been there before. And recently. I don’t remember what my score was but it was a lot after the first 4. We were also playing with another 2some and these guys were both pretty close to scratch. One of the guys gave me the idea to not even keep score and just have fun as it’s something he does from time to time and it was a much more enjoyable round. So I excited out of 18 birdies and didn’t even count a single stroke. Well we get to the 18th green, I Texas wedge off the green and make the putt, and turns out my normal playing partner was secretly keeping my score. Turns out I was around +8 from 5-18 according to him. Idk if I was just more free and not caring or what but I could tell I played much better golf after not keeping score. I get we’re chasing a goal but this game should also be fun

10 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I’ve been there before. And recently. I don’t remember what my score was but it was a lot after the first 4. We were also playing with another 2some and these guys were both pretty close to scratch. One of the guys gave me the idea to not even keep score and just have fun as it’s something he does from time to time and it was a much more enjoyable round. So I excited out of 18 birdies and didn’t even count a single stroke. Well we get to the 18th green, I Texas wedge off the green and make the putt, and turns out my normal playing partner was secretly keeping my score. Turns out I was around +8 from 5-18 according to him. Idk if I was just more free and not caring or what but I could tell I played much better golf after not keeping score. I get we’re chasing a goal but this game should also be fun

I can promise you it didn’t get better for me. I just forgot and iron can make contact with a ball… thats ok and suppose to happen lol 😂 so frustrating but heck all I can do is laugh. Next round will not be for score focused. I play a Golden Bear course on Saturday with my FIL. It’s a fun track so I’m looking forward to it

Samuel Hanvey 

37 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

My first 9 hole round last year was the most miserable time I’ve ever had on a golf course. I kid you not IF I had kept score all the way through, I’d have shot in the upper 60s. Came away exactly the same, frustrated and discouraged. “Why do I play this game?” “This isn’t even fun” etc etc. 

Next time out was back to normal which at the time was still high 40s/low 50s, and all was good. This is a crazy game we play, and the mental side is so massively dominant. Good on you for sticking it out! Next time out can only go better!

#LeftyGang

Don't be too hard on yourself! I think you are spot on and just need to ensure that you don't let the bad shot effect your next shot. Stick to your routine and treat every shot like its the most important one regardless if its your 6th shot on a par 4. If you have time to listen to podcast you should check out The Par Train.

P.S. What a nice gift from your wife! 

:ping-small: G400 Max, 9°, hzrdus smoke black

:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: G425 4H, Stock Stiff

:taylormade-small: M4 5H, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: i210 5-PW, Blue Dot, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Kushin C

:taylormade-small: TP5x Pix

:Arccos: Sensors

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor

23 minutes ago, Karls0991 said:

Don't be too hard on yourself! I think you are spot on and just need to ensure that you don't let the bad shot effect your next shot. Stick to your routine and treat every shot like its the most important one regardless if its your 6th shot on a par 4. If you have time to listen to podcast you should check out The Par Train.

P.S. What a nice gift from your wife! 

I am definitely my own worst enemy. I will no doubt let a bad shot ruin a whole round. I let ego get in the way lol. I will definitely check out the Par Train, I always have time! lol 

She is the best, keeps me ground! I'd be lost without her.

Samuel Hanvey 

Today will be an off course day, as I need to take a day away from a club. I plan on working out with weights and resistent bands and trying to improve my flexibility by stretching and doing some yoga! On the way to lake I will listen to a mental game book or listen to the pod cast that @Karls0991 recommended. The joureny goes on! LET US CONQUER TODAY! 

image.png.1695e4f898792f0c5e4874e4f12cc942.png

Samuel Hanvey 

22 hours ago, Samuel09152 said:

It could’ve been worse, could’ve been on the green near the “search this area” box!

I almost walked off a round in January 2023, could not hit the ball above 5 feet and everything was a pull/hook, it was awful.  Finished the round and then reflected on what went wrong…mostly my entire swing!  Have been rebuilding since then.

Even on some of my better days, I have played shots from the wrong fairway.  Always a nice look from the other group like “how did you end up there???”

I’d say just keep working…something will click and you will get there.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

11 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

It could’ve been worse, could’ve been on the green near the “search this area” box!

I almost walked off a round in January 2023, could not hit the ball above 5 feet and everything was a pull/hook, it was awful.  Finished the round and then reflected on what went wrong…mostly my entire swing!  Have been rebuilding since then.

Even on some of my better days, I have played shots from the wrong fairway.  Always a nice look from the other group like “how did you end up there???”

I’d say just keep working…something will click and you will get there.

You are right, that sounds rough. I have no problem working, I have fallen in love with the process! It’s the fun part! Thank you for encouragement 

Samuel Hanvey 

This game never stops confusing and amazing me. While playing this morning with my FIL, we had fun. We got to the range and I noticed my irons and wedges felt good, but driver was gonna be a problem. And I was right. For most of the day I hit only 2 fairways today; however  played smart and gave myself self chances at recovery. The first 9 was terrible, shot a 51… had the triple bogeys and was all over myself. In the back 9 I decided to get out of my own way and just play golf. Got a hot dog at the turn, had two beers, and great conversation with my FIL. Came out and went tap-in bogey, par, bogey, par, par, ,par, double, bogey, and bogey. Finishing with a the back with a 42. Honestly the big change was getting out my own way and just making contact. I began to just focusing on the one shot instead of 50. Went through a pre shot routine. The talk at the turn made the difference honestly, because it was about basketball. 

I will be working on the driver tho this next week. Even though things are all over the place right now, I feel as I’m getting closer to the mental game side with what to expect and react. Being able to shave 9 shots is a good start. The break through is coming. 

Samuel Hanvey 

Today is full of family and travel, likely won't have much golf related stuff going on but that is ok. Really it is a prep day for the BSC tomorrow. Idk if yall do this for big events yall may play in other then golf, but typically when I played other sports that is how it went. The day before was rest and mental walk throughs. I plan on using the MyStrategy tonight to build a thoughtful plan for tomorrow and  get a general idea of what the course layout is. talk to my partner about our plan as we drive down, and what we can do to maxmize our game. This could get fun! I havent gotten into this mental mode in a long time and forgotten what this is gameplanning is really like. I'm really looking forward to it!  HAPPY EASTER TO ALL! 

Samuel Hanvey 

Laying down last night, I looked over the course for BSC. I’ve never played this course so I used google maps to come up with a strategy. The course looks tough and should be challenging. We do get 50% of our handicap at the tournament based off the course, which means I will be getting 11. We are playing 6600 yards, slope is 137, and rating is 72.40. My partner and I will be starting in hole 1 and teeing off at 11. I went ahead and  filled out pre-round Journal 18. I will update later with how it all went! image.jpg.ef64b31a1cae1e23f317424771d402a8.jpg

Samuel Hanvey 

32 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Laying down last night, I looked over the course for BSC. I’ve never played this course so I used google maps to come up with a strategy. The course looks tough and should be challenging. We do get 50% of our handicap at the tournament based off the course, which means I will be getting 11. We are playing 6600 yards, slope is 137, and rating is 72.40. My partner and I will be starting in hole 1 and teeing off at 11. I went ahead and  filled out pre-round Journal 18. I will update later with how it all went! image.jpg.ef64b31a1cae1e23f317424771d402a8.jpg

Good luck today! You got this!

51 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Good luck, Sam! Have a blast out there and I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes! You've got this!

#LeftyGang

51 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Good luck today!!  Most of all have fun!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”