Golf Ball Fitting

With the huge selection of golf balls for players of every ability level, do you really know what ball best suits you? I certainly have my preferences but not backed by scientific data.  Yesterday I received an email from Ping offering the services of their “Ballnamic” fitting process, for $39 of course. I’ve been fitted for every club in my bag, like many of you. But how many of us have been fitted for their golf ball? I’m curious to hear from those that have and how/where did you do it. On course? Simulator? Online? 

Titleist TSi3 driver, 9.5 Tensei AV Raw White Stiff

Titleist TSi2 3 wood Tensei AV Raw White Stiff

Mizuno 2018 CLK 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-7 iron, MMC 8-PW

Mizuno T-20 50 deg gap wedge

Callaway Jaws 54 and 58 deg wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab One putter

I have been fitted for golf balls on multiple occasions by Bridgestone as titleist. 

I also have tons of experience testing balls on the course and comparing to my gamer. It’s doesn’t take long for me to determine if whatever I’m testing is better, same or worse than my gamer. 

I'm a tinkerer. So I am constantly taking balls out to the course and comparing. I can usually get a pretty good idea of whether or not I like a ball within a single round, but sometimes I need 2-3 before I can make a decision. I've used a simulator to capture the numbers, but I haven't really needed that to actually decide. For example, I really like the Bridgestone Tour BX, but it's way too much spin for me on short irons and full wedges. I was constantly taking more club and swinging less to try and keep the ball from ripping off the green. If I was more skilled in controlling my spin and/or played on firmer greens, the BX would definitely be a contender. Other balls it was a much quicker decision, like the Z-Star Diamond. The Diamond tested very well in the MGS ball test last year, but after about 3 holes I could tell it wasn't for me. It's too 'floaty' for me, which is indicative of too much spin and also tends to rip too much. I'm sure if I went and tested it on a launch monitor or in a sim I'd get numbers to back that up and/or quantify why it doesn't fit for me, but on-course is where it matters.

FWIW, Ballnamic is half price this week with code: FIT2024 (expires April 14)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Have been fit by Bridgestone and also have done the Ballnamic fitting.

The Ballnamic fitting suggested the Maxfli Tour ball as one of my top recommendations and it led to me playing the ball after reading good reviews on MyGolfspy as well.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels