Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

What's Your Favorite Iron Shaft?

I'm currently having the KBS tour x-stiff shafts in my irons, and I must admit they've won me over. I really like them, they feel stable but lively, the ball doesn't go too high, flight is very true... and in this age of super light everything, they have some nice weight to them!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

Fujikura Ventus TR Blue R flex, 67g. Absolute game-changers for me on my TM Qi irons. Topped with GolfPride CP2 Jumbo grips , +4 wraps. 

Edited by Jean D

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) 

Fairway Woods: NEW Cobra LTDx King 3 & 5 FW (Project-X Hzrdus iM10 Smoke Green 60g 5.5R)

Irons: TaylorMade Qi 6-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0 Mallet

Grips: GolfPride CP2 Wrap Jumbo

New Gamer Ball: 2024 Bridgestone Tour B RX 

I‘be been using TT stepless and/or similar for at least 40 years. They seem to be more consistent and more shock absorbing. I like the weight of metal versus graphite. 

Master club builder and golf instructor 

Irons tend to be a longer staple in our bags than drivers hybrids And woods  is my guess over the last 10 15 yrs. Dynamic hold was the staple  for such a long  and worked but then can the 6.0 project x and that was a game changer loved it for its penetrating flight and feel. However wheny apex 16 came I got w KBS tour 120 stiff.  This has to be my favorite shaft. The way it loads makes me feel like I can't miss and no ballooning shots. Holds greens and just all around best do everything shaft. 

True Temper X100. Definitely changed my game for the better. Good feel, not too heavy. Also have to love the fact that they aren't $200 a pop.

Driver- TM Sim 2- Speeder 757 X

3W- Ping G430 LST- Fujikura Ventus TR Black 8 X

Hybrid- TM M1- Tensei Orange X

Irons- Srixon ZX7 MK II (4-PW)- TT DG X100

Wedges- Cleveland RTX-4 (58, 54, 50)- KBS Wedge

Putter- TM Spider GT

Played DG S300 for a number of years but currently have Nippon Modus 120S in my Mizunos, I can’t say there is a huge difference other than slightly more feel out of the Nippon. 

The Axiom iron shafts really intrigue me. Anyone that has them, are they as good as Fuji’s wood shafts??

Edited by Swood1994

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Mitsubishi OT

Driver: Titleist 95 D3 10.5, Aldila Rogue
Wood:  Callaway Epic Zub Zero, Project X Even Flow
Hybrid: Ping Answer 20, TFC 800H 
Irons: Miura 57 3-PW - Mitsubishi OT 75 
Wedges: Miura Forged 51, 55, 60 - Project X
Putter:  Valgrine - Phoenix

After playing KBS Tour 90 Stiff iron shafts for almost 10 years, I got fitted into Veylix Alpina 52 gram Senior shafts last year.  I was shocked and almost didn’t pull the trigger on them.  But, my fitter promised to replace them if they didn’t work.  Well - they have been a revelation.  My index has gone from a 7 to a 3 in the last year.  The Alpinas are surprisingly stable especially given the Senior flex and I have been able to control trajectory which was what I was most worried about.

Titleist C-16 irons and woods

JP Golf GW, PW and SW

Gene Nead Putter

As a person who has always played dg x100 through the irons and wedges. I was recently fit into the px ls 6.5 for my irons and Kbs 610 125+ for the wedges. Both shafts options I had never considered. As a heavy loader and higher spin player both shafts knocked down spin and trajectory. Still allowing me to hit knocked down shots with easy. Still giving me enough feel around the green to hit cute shots. 

Wes

Nippon Modus 105

:ping-small: G400 Driver 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue CK Pro 60 Stiff

:ping-small: G400 Fwy 16.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue CK Pro 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrids 20* & 24* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 80 Stiff

:titelist-small: TMB Irons 5 - 9 Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

:titelist-small: Volkey SM-7 Wedges Black 50* & 54*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind Black 60*

:cameron-small: Select Newport 34"

I've played the KBS C-Taper 120 shafts in my irons for a number of years now.   Really like them a lot. 

Taylor Made M5 9 loft

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood 14.5 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (3) 18 loft

Callaway Apex 21 4 hybrid 21 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (5) 24 loft

Titleist T100  5-PW

Vokey SM6 52, 58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

I’ve only played dynamic gold s400s for the last 17 years. I just got my first new set of irons this winter with the kbs tour lite shafts. Looking forward to playing them!

Dynamic Gold X100.  I got fit into KBS 130X two seasons ago but the balance point was so different I kept losing the clubhead in my backswing.  

I like the heavy feel of DG and a swingweight D3.  

Switched to graphite shafts many years ago and never looked back. I've used steel fiber in all of my irons until just about 5 or so years ago when I switched to Mitsubishi MMT for my irons and steel fiber for my wedges. Love the MMT shafts, they have a nice flex but a steel mesh tip to make it a little more accurate which I like.

Edited by TENBUCK

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I was fitted for iron shafts at Club Champion.  Wasn't  really happy with them.  I wish I could remember the name right now.  I am I. The most of changing over to Aerotech steelfiber in regular flex.  They feel great. Not super light but not heavy  either.  I started first putting them in my wedges, liked them so much I decided  to use them in my irons.

When they took the shafts off from Club Champion, I found out that they had glue 4 inches up the shaft and and it was the wrong size tip size. Didn't  even fit all the way down the iron neck. Most likely  I  wasn't  happy with the shafts I got from them. Sad to say I won't  ever have them fit me again.

True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts are the all-time classic iron shaft.  But I'm really happy with the performance of my current set of irons with the KBS Tour V shafts.  Very consistent...great ball flight...able to work them high/low as needed and I still have a good feel for the clubhead.

When I was getting fitted, the other shaft that almost made it into the bag was the Aerotech Steelfiber, which I believe is also a True Temper product.

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

• Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Don't know if I'd call them my favorite yet, but I just switched to graphite for the first time. MMT 105S, and I love them. Very smooth and a joy to swing. Favorite steel was definitely Modus 120, but the graphite feels so much better.