Do you choke down on your clubs?

Thank you for posting that link... It was a very interesting read.

In a recent lesson, I was asked if I always cooked down on my club and never realized I was doing it. I now try to be more consistent with where I place my hands but I will still choke down on chip shots. I do remember seeing a video of Jahn Daly talking about how many players would be better of if they went up a club but cooked down a little and did a 3/4 swing so it all makes sense.

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D driver

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Paradym X 3 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 7 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 11 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

default_taylormade-small.jpg.b0f650a8eb8b3219e3f783d396bd8458.jpgTaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56)

default_cameron-small.gif.9b09797f71363f07049fccfe79b6b243.gifScotty Cameron Select Roundback

default_volvik-small.jpg.4484ce7bf19bc5b085f2fdccba75cde9.jpgVolvik Vivid balls

default_srixon-small.jpg.bf3ca25d7610490303deb7f6cdf80802.jpgSrixon Q-Star Divide balls

Around the greens, I choke down almost unconsciously. Sometimes my leading hand index finger will be on the shaft and not the grip... but I never think "where should I put my hands" it just kinda happens at this point. As for taking distance off... that always seems to backfire on me. I'll take the less lofted club, choke down, then wind up hitting it 15yds over the green because of course.

I generally find it amusing/entertaining/interesting when playing with folks who are relatively new to the game, and don't yet have the nuanced feel to make those types of adjustments. It comes naturally to me at this point, and seeing someone with a pitching wedge in hand from just off the fringe and not choking down makes me wonder what other habits (mostly bad) I have picked up over the years.

Kind of a similar thing I've noticed to new players who use the club "designed" for the shot. Last summer I saw one of my playing partners hit his sand wedge from a fairway bunker 300yds away from the green. I asked what he hit, he told me, and I asked "why a sand wedge, you had 300 yards to the green?" "Well... because i was in the sand, and that's what the sand wedge is for." 🤦‍♂️

2024 Season - WITB

D - :taylormade-small: Mini Brnr - Mitsubish Kai'li White

3w - :callaway-small: XR-16 - Fujikura Speeder

3h/4h - :ping-small: G430 - Mitsubish Kai'li White

5i - AW - :taylormade-small: OG P-790s - KBS Tour Stiff

56 - :mizuno-small: 56deg Wedge

60 - :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 Steel Gray M Grind

Putter - OG Ram Zebra in White

20240524_095636.jpg.b00f090612ea18e98dec1a4138730e83.jpg

I'm always at the end of the club and in fact the meat of my hand rests on the end of the grip. I grip down if the lie calls for it or if I'm in close to the green. 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

Other: Golf Pad image.png.d0effd2610f24951b9ffd1e5597c25ba.png

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

I only consciously choke down for my (patent pending) punch out shot from under the trees with my 4hy and a basic chip shot move to reliably shoot the ball out low and straight about 100yds to get back on the fairway. I practice it at the range and it's saved my bacon more times than not.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 10:14 PM, AverageSizedDog said:

I appreciate this more than choking down and swinging fully. I feel more comfortable full grip and either clubbing down or half-swinging. 

I do both. I choke down AND do half swings with my wedges.  Also with longer clubs for punching under tree limbs.

Edited by "Mr. 72"

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Um.... No. Not because it doesn't work. Because I do not practice it and have no idea how, and  how far the ball will fly.

Driver :taylormade-small: QI10 max

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter L.A.B. DF3 ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

Posted (edited)

Sure.

Most irons I have a full and partial AKA choked down.

Wedges 3 positions: top, middle,bottom

Obviously depends on the shot I'm trying to pull off

Edited by Mr Lundt
Didn't swear

Callaway woods

Talotlormade irons

Vokey wedges

I occasionally will choke down on my driver if I need a fairway finder. I choke down a little and hit a "bunt fade". It seems like I always make good contact on this swing and not only find the fairway but get decent distance as well.

Been playing golf since I was 8, so.... a long time!

I used to, but now there isn’t enough room at the end the grip.  My left palm partway off the club.  Even with longer clubs I do this, not sure where it came from, but if I choke down on a club the change in swing weight really screws me up. 

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

I am a choker for sure and have 3 levels per club that give me about 10 yards difference per club, for this reason I am only carrying 13 clubs and have not jumped on the hybrid train.  I especially do this with the wedges around the green for different feel.  The one club I will not choke down on is my putter.....not sure why just does not feel right to me.

TM

Posted (edited)

Always a 1/2 inch down froim the butt to ensure I have full control of the grip (from a lesson many years ago) and so ensure when fitted they acomodate that in shaft length.  When the driver gets leaky, i'll choke down a little more to settle it down.   

Once upon a time i had 3 positions on my wedges, but abandoned that years ago, but I don't remember why?  Maybe i need to work on that again?

Edited by B_Cdn

Driver: Ping 410 max

5-Wood: Wilson Dynapower

Hybrid: Titelist 818H2 

Irons: Calloway Apex 16

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0e 58, Ping S159s 54

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11 

All Left Handed!  

Oddly enough I actually choke down more.on wedges than I do anything else. Obviously for some stinger or under tree shots there a choke down situation. On the norm I use all the club I can. 

CREDMAN 

Posted (edited)

I also choke down on my clubs to reduce the distance and lower the ball flight.  For me, choking down an inch reduces the distance by approximately 10 yards.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/ProLaunch 45 S

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Ping G430 Max 5 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 Max 7 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 4 hyrid w/AltaCB 70 R

Toura Golf CB 6-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Vokey Sm10 wedges 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Choke down to take yardage off. It works most of the time. I have "nuked" a few but it always comes as a surprise. Others in this thread have reported some other standard choke up times I use like ball above the feet and in bunkers. I also choke up into high winds either front or behind to control yardage. 

Regarding the article, using the results of a limited testing pool of lowish handicap golfers to push back on golf "myths" is hardly scientifically valid. They reported some trends for those golfers but drawing any real conclusions seems problematic. Interesting though. One could wonder that by choking up, the grip is marginally smaller, particularly with the lower hand. Maybe it's as simple as we all are using a grip to large. This would account for the slightly better result for choking up a 1/2 inch as opposed to a 1/2 inch shorter club, and the similar results from choking up on a longer club.

I think it would have been more believable if they robot tested.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Choking down help me to gain better control, especially for shorter shots, or when I am between clubs for shorter irons.  It will help me to reduce the distance the ball travels. Furthermore, it’s also useful in various situations such as hitting into the wind, navigating tight fairways, or playing from awkward lies.  Finally, shorten the club makes my swing more controlled and accurate.

I find it awkward to choke down on my clubs which I know is my issue.  I was having trouble with consistency with my irons and my pro determined my clubs were too long for me.  So I worked on choking down on my clubs and my consistency and contact significantly improved.  I got new shorter irons and the difference was amazing.

I completely agree about making sure you are fitted with the proper length or making sure to choke down on the club if the clubs are a bit long or if you are lacking good contact.

Love to golf!

I choke down about a half inch or so on every club just to improve striking consistency and accuracy. I used to never but over the last couple years I've done it and noticed a huge difference. It's made me more comfortable when I need to maybe take some off a club, if I want to flight one down, I choke down a little. when it comes to short game, you HAVE to choke down on the club so everyone's answer should be yes but to what extent. 

A little drill i'll even do is to choke way down on say a 7i and work on little half and 3/4 shots. I've found those helpful trying to get the ball back in play but also put a good shot on it. If there is someone out there who doesn't choke down at all, lets hear it! We'll have to debate it haha

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

I don't normally choke down on my clubs except for wedges or trying to hit a different shot other than a normal full swing.  

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Red 6S

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 52 Black

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 58 Black

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Into the wind I almost always choke down half way with my driver.  I also tee the ball lower.  Much better accuracy!

Ping G430 Max Driver

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue 7 wood

:mizuno-small: Irons Hot Metal Pro 4 - G

:titleist-small: Wedges 52 and 56

:ping-small: Putter Fetch

Oh certain shots I will choke down.  Usually out of the woods when I am doing a punch shot.  Now that I look on my round, I would say about half my shots are punch shots.  LOL.  

Sometimes will choke down on some wedge shots so I do not dig into deep.  Maybe it is a mental thing about taking to big of a divot and I just choke down so I do not do it.  

Yes on evey club. Not for accuracy or distance. I'm 5'7" & have never been fitted for clubs. The clubs I use are a standard length set soo a little too long. I'm a 9.2 handicap & would love to be fitted just always feel I'm not striking the ball good enough to get fitted 

great topic!  been thinking about it this week as I trying single length irons and arm lock putter

The choked up feeling with the putter feels very good actually 

The single length irons , the 5 /4 irons feels like I choked up cause its shorter to 6 iron length  and awkward cause I usually choke up with those club to hit a punch under the tree   

The 7/8/9 feels really odd full length and I has to choke up on the clubs to make it feel normal swing ,

Still working on the single length irons  only been on the course twice with it  but have not given up on those 

The wedges I played as standard length , I generally dont choke up unless its a shorter shot and only 1/2 inch to 1 inch  to take some yards off 

Yes!  Situational, chipping around the green is always choked down.  If I need to take a little off a shot for a certain distance, I will also choke down and take a normal swing.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Choke down on every club all the time. It’s a comfort thing. Got fitted for new irons (Callaway Ai Smoke). Got them cut 1/2” short and still choke down an inch or so. 

Driver-Kirkland Signature 

3 Wood -Wilson Launch Pad

3,4,5 Hybrid-Cobra Aerojet

Irons 6-AW-Callaway Ai Smoke

54* Wedge -RTX Zipcore

Posted (edited)

Yes, I choke down iron shots when in between distances and around the green with wedges. I don’t practice or play enough to gauge distances with half or three quarter swing from distances not around the green. Prefer to swing fully and trust the choke down. I can maintain tempo better too.

Edited by braveheart