Exputt RG - 2024 Forum Review

On 7/10/2024 at 11:10 AM, SC Golf said:

Congrats to the testers. Just an FYI - we are the EMEA distributor for ExPutt (along with other brands) so please feel free to ask us any questions you may have as we will be active on here going forward. Looking forward to following your journeys of using ExPutt!! 

Thank you, The journey has started and I feel it is going to be an exciting one!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Great unboxing and initial impression posts from the two of you. My package is still in the Oakland area. Hoping it gets here Thursday or Friday at the latest. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

I don't recall seeing this when I was setting up my Exputt, but did they provide an "ideal" lighting setup somewhere in the unboxing or quick setup instructions? I have found lighting and camera angle to be huge when it comes to getting good numbers on the Exputt, so it would be nice to have a photo or instructions of an ideal setup that could be modeled.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

32 minutes ago, jbern said:

I don't recall seeing this when I was setting up my Exputt, but did they provide an "ideal" lighting setup somewhere in the unboxing or quick setup instructions? I have found lighting and camera angle to be huge when it comes to getting good numbers on the Exputt, so it would be nice to have a photo or instructions of an ideal setup that could be modeled.

I don't see any recommendations about lighting. Going through the manual I did notice the height of my camera was just under the recommended height(2'3") I'll adjust and see how things change my specs I have also found a desk lamp that I will put right next to the sim.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Got the FedEx text this morning that my shipment is out for delivery today. 

On 7/17/2024 at 12:49 PM, Rearviewmirror said:

Also as a heads up for testers - depending on your setup needs, it may be helpful to know the ExPutt screws into a normal tripod mount, so you can use any random tripod to get it to the right height.

Thanks, I got mine on its tripod sitting on my tv stand. Working well, but I have multiple normal tripods if need be. Thanks for the information.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Got in some EXPUTT practice today before work, really starting to get a feel for the technology and seeing all the metrics. I added a micro SIM card to keep track of my stats, says I have to have 5sessions to analyze my performance.

looking forward to my progress 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

On 7/13/2024 at 3:49 AM, MissionMan said:

Not wanting to steal your thunder by answering these as I had one just before the reviewers got theirs , my recommendations would be covering the following:

• HDMI app vs Mobile App (they are very different so test and compare both, are features missing from one or the other)
  • Visualisation vs stats - how does the green look relative to the distance and slope information? is there a way to ascertain the slope degree or is it guesswork?
  • Is the break and slope true? (in your opinion)
  • How is the online gaming against other competitors internationally? Speed/Fun Factor
  • Does it work with other putting accessories? (putting mirrors etc)
  • Has your putting actually improved as a result of this?

I’ll try to answer your questions as testing goes on, great questions, making me think about different possibilities.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

22 hours ago, pozzit said:

Got a few head scratching moments on my first few hours on the ExPutt. 

They have points to earn... But it's unclear how exactly you earn them. Making putts in practice does it for the most part but didn't seam to get any on challenge.

Multiplayer crashed on my twice so not sure if that was just my Internet or what. 

Short putts always were way left (3.0+ path) even though my longer putts were +-0.5 path 

In multiplayer & challenge had a few 5' putts go 20'??? And some 30 footers go 20 ft past or 15 ft short. I know there was some break or slope but what? 

I may have some calibration or lighting issues so we will keep messing with it and see. 

Also I have a few ideas/ experiments to see how true it is.

The points are given for made putts and drive bye that end near the hole

i tried some breaking putts, and it was hard at first but I reverted back to my Ps5 masters exception game and started to do better.

i didn’t try the other modes but can’t wait to try

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

19 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

The points are given for made putts and drive bye that end near the hole

i tried some breaking putts, and it was hard at first but I reverted back to my Ps5 masters exception game and started to do better.

i didn’t try the other modes but can’t wait to try

Yes i noticed I got points for making putts and for being close but it was so irregular on being close. I did get 70 points for hitting a 42 footer. I wasn't sure if the points are also gained with Multiplayer or Challenge section.

Year I have decently to video game putting with reading breaks.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

22 hours ago, MissionMan said:

On mine, the club path seems slightly off, consistently slightly left, but the actual ball direction on screen seems to be good so for now, it hasn't bothered me too much.

I never thought about lighting issues as a potential cause though. I may try swap directions and see how it reads.

On the multiplayer, I quickly learnt you have to look at the top right to see the break past the hole. If you go too far you can go onto heavy downslopes that roll you off the green.

My path through the ball at impact is consistent, but think the sensor continues to grab data a good way past impact. I don’t think it is a bad thing because it shows my finish and if I can start to correct it.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

4 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Yes i noticed I got points for making putts and for being close but it was so irregular on being close. I did get 70 points for hitting a 42 footer. I wasn't sure if the points are also gained with Multiplayer or Challenge section.

Year I have decently to video game putting with reading breaks.

Nice comparison 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

My Exputt RG arrived today while I was at work. Got it unboxed this evening and read through the set up instructions. Didn’t have time to set it up since I had an indoor soccer game this evening. Friday will be set up day and I will post my first impressions of using the simulator.

Played 18 hole this morning and had 45 putts.  Starting tomorrow daily pitting practice to bring that number down  

IMG_3471.jpeg.a5b821cd962a48dc16b8225bcc06bb6a.jpegIMG_3472.jpeg.3e9b0797295bb7977bc1df7c571736a3.jpegIMG_3473.jpeg.ad3e7870694d5f4a32b68d20aac09300.jpeg

Edited by Wolfstrum

1 hour ago, Wolfstrum said:

My Exputt RG arrived today while I was at work. Got it unboxed this evening and read through the set up instructions. Didn’t have time to set it up since I had an indoor soccer game this evening. Friday will be set up day and I will post my first impressions of using the simulator.

Played 18 hole this morning and had 45 putts.  Starting tomorrow daily pitting practice to bring that number down  

IMG_3471.jpeg.a5b821cd962a48dc16b8225bcc06bb6a.jpegIMG_3472.jpeg.3e9b0797295bb7977bc1df7c571736a3.jpegIMG_3473.jpeg.ad3e7870694d5f4a32b68d20aac09300.jpeg

Awesome, I set mine up to where the only thing I need to do is take the HDMI accord out of my DVR and plug it in the the sensor, power it up and I’m ready to go!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Great intros all!  I have to say I am still a bit skeptical on the virtual vs real world transition.

I know it offers data points on your stroke, putter head position etc, does it also offer correction values and guides to help you correct yoyr personal stroke errors too?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

7 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Great intros all!  I have to say I am still a bit skeptical on the virtual vs real world transition.

I know it offers data points on your stroke, putter head position etc, does it also offer correction values and guides to help you correct yoyr personal stroke errors too?

Great question @Rob Person it may, I just inserted a micro sd card yesterday to save my data, when I selected analyze it basically said I needed 5 practice sessions to start analyzing my tendencies. I’ll have to follow up once I get a few more sessions under the belt.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Got in some practice this morning and found that I cut across the ball at impact but mostly with an open face on the putter that produces a good roll . So much to improve on and practice. Here is a video of a few putts on the ExPutt

Edited by buckpillar

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Completed the set up today and got some practicing under my belt.

Some of my initial impressions:

• Read the instructions so you understand the min and max heights and distances for set up
  • Wish the tripod was at least 2.3 ft tall. I had to find a box to put the tripod on to get the required height.
  • The music they chose is annoying.  I quickly hit the mute button.
  • Setting up the account initially was slow as I used the remote to type in user name, password twice, and email address. I was ready to start putting. I was glad to read that it keeps you logged in even when turned off and back on so you don’t have to log in every time. When my two sons set up their accounts I anticipate it will be a little frustrating entering passwords each time. Wish it was possible to have multiple profiles on a single account so multiple users can more easily share the device or make switching easier.
  • Once I got in and started a practice session I was very happy with how the simulator performs
  • The putting mat is very nice and seems very well made.
  • I quickly figured out the metrics and found the feedback very useful.
  • I was able to use the feedback to make some immediate adjustments and improve my consistency.

i will get a more formal First impression section posted to my main post at the front of this thread. Wanted to share some immediate thoughts here on real time. 
IMG_3477.jpeg.f6c0ab76c6bb0a20a2755cb01b21ff12.jpeg

I wanted to see if I could get some better data from the ExPutt simulator, made a change in the location of the camera sensor from on the TV stand to the floor closer to the mat. I completed the setup, adjusted camera and had everything in perfect alignment but it would not sync if with additional lighting. I replaced the camera sensor back on the TV Stand readjusted the camera sensor had a perfect picture and the ExPutt synced without issue.

I'm going to continue to try different setups to see what works the best for me, I have tried the mobile app and was not successful in connecting, I will do some investigating to see what I may have done incorrectly.

Here is a video of my camera sensor relocation.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

13 hours ago, Wolfstrum said:

Completed the set up today and got some practicing under my belt.

Some of my initial impressions:

• Read the instructions so you understand the min and max heights and distances for set up
  • Wish the tripod was at least 2.3 ft tall. I had to find a box to put the tripod on to get the required height.
  • The music they chose is annoying.  I quickly hit the mute button.
  • Setting up the account initially was slow as I used the remote to type in user name, password twice, and email address. I was ready to start putting. I was glad to read that it keeps you logged in even when turned off and back on so you don’t have to log in every time. When my two sons set up their accounts I anticipate it will be a little frustrating entering passwords each time. Wish it was possible to have multiple profiles on a single account so multiple users can more easily share the device or make switching easier.
  • Once I got in and started a practice session I was very happy with how the simulator performs
  • The putting mat is very nice and seems very well made.
  • I quickly figured out the metrics and found the feedback very useful.
  • I was able to use the feedback to make some immediate adjustments and improve my consistency.

i will get a more formal First impression section posted to my main post at the front of this thread. Wanted to share some immediate thoughts here on real time. 
IMG_3477.jpeg.f6c0ab76c6bb0a20a2755cb01b21ff12.jpeg

Nice setup, have any issues with syncing?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Nice setup, have any issues with syncing?

No real issues. Made sure the camera is the minimum 2.3’ off the ground. This the box since the provided tripod is not that tall. Also made sure the made is the minimum distance an away from the camera.

Today I was able to connect in mobile mode.

Played a 2 player, 9 hole round with my son today. I do wish I could select the number of holes to play. It would be fun to do shorter number of holes with 3-4 players. 

On 7/20/2024 at 7:11 PM, Wolfstrum said:

No real issues. Made sure the camera is the minimum 2.3’ off the ground. This the box since the provided tripod is not that tall. Also made sure the made is the minimum distance an away from the camera.

Today I was able to connect in mobile mode.

Played a 2 player, 9 hole round with my son today. I do wish I could select the number of holes to play. It would be fun to do shorter number of holes with 3-4 players. 

I connected with my IPAD today, when I tried before it was user fault, I would like to see some of the displays from the app put onto the normal tv software

Edited by buckpillar

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

On 7/8/2024 at 9:13 PM, AverageSizedDog said:

20240718_224729.jpg.4bb0b80fb0e089bae4eeff6624191bf5.jpg20240718_224729.jpg.4bb0b80fb0e089bae4eeff6624191bf5.jpgHello everyone,

My name is Briar and I live in Post Falls, ID which is pretty close to CDA. I have been playing golf now for about 4-5 years and so far, I have enjoyed it very much. I currently work for a Geo-Engineering firm as a lab tech. Lucky for me some of my co-workers are also into the game, however my wife is not into20240718_224729.jpg.4bb0b80fb0e089bae4eeff6624191bf5.jpgthe game by any stretch of the imagination. She even has a sweater that says, "In My Widow Golf Era". We went and saw Blink-182 in Washington State in mid-July which was pretty frickin' awesome.  I am a higher-handicap player, but I typically feel pretty comfortable on and around the greens. Its getting there the hard part haha. 

Screenshot_20240718-230139_Gallery.jpg.1ad853a072f836cdb29a6211d94ac036.jpg

About Exputt specifically, I am pretty curious how this product will actually translate to the course. From doing some research on Youtube about the product some things that I am looking forward to are, adjust the stimp rating, specific courses, and how well the censor can read my putting stroke. Some other observations I have made are, the mat isn't all that long, it could a bit of a chore to set up and take down, and it can be a helpful if practiced/used correctly. I don't know much more about this product, but I am genuinely excited to test and give an honest review of this product. I think if the censor works well and if I try to better understand the stimp ratings on the courses around me it could me tremendously. 

To close this introduction, I am excited to try something new that is advertised to help lower putting strokes throughout the round and better help taking in different undulations on the green. I think this product will help with pacing on the greens and help me better lag putt by showing me stats about face angle, in/out stroke, and putting path. But I am the most excited because I believe we will have a competition among the testers and I want to see how good I really am. 

20240718_230457.jpg.ebde42df6e31ca940effc410d44a9752.jpg

Previous to the Exputt opportunity, I have used the True Aim device and alignment rods. What I have liked about this is the simplicity of it, however it only helps with hitting the ball straight through impact. So I am looking forward to the other metrics that Exputt uses to help with putting. 

First Impressions 7 out 10

Unboxing the Exputt, my first thought was "wow Exputt must train their product boxers in Tetris." Everything was really compact and bags were labeled which made it easy for me to unbox and set up the product with ease. I do wish they sent a taller tripod instead of the tiny they provide. I do understand that cost wise it doesn't make sense to send a 4ft tripod but when the directions say the minimum height should be about 2.5ft, I found myself getting creative in box stacking to get the right height. When I do put the product away, I do find it mildly difficult because of how compact everything was coming out of the box. As we all know, putting things away isn't as easy as taking things out of the same box. 

20240718_224349.jpg

20240718_224454.jpg

20240718_224729.jpg

First impression is up and I'm curious to know your thoughts

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

ExPutt App for IPAD

Download of the App was exceptionally quick, without any issues.

app.1.JPG.d65f0dc3a9a04231f285d36b9e1c510c.JPG

Before you are able to use the App, you have to turn on the ExPutt then press and hold the mobile App button on the remote for 3 seconds to activate, the sensor light will turn the color blue. Once in the App you are able to select language, unit of measure etc.  select Connect, this will start the SYNC process to the camera sensor, I needed to add some light for the ExPutt to sync, once completed you are taken to the Practice screen.

1_00.JPG.041ac7fd740d17e069b31676534b1be7.JPG

Here you will be able to set up green speed, max and min distances and slope. 

I was a bit disappointed that the only option was practice mode, you do not have the option for multiple player or challenge modes in the App.

The display was very easy on the eye, I liked the way the metrics were set up on the App and would like to see that in the normal software, I would also like to see some of the software displays from the main game used in the App. Possible to merge them together?

After making a few putts I was interrupted for a few minutes and I assume that due to inactivity it disconnected the game. Had too go through the entire process of reconnecting and syncing, lost all previous data. 

20240721_210728.1.jpg.65a3eba3f045c9a3883b311bf2fea3b4.jpg App - 20240717_095639_11.jpg.1b24de4d64666529132e528a1f1c2429.jpgNormal game

IPAD Connection-

I purchased an HDMI adaptor for the IPAD that allows display on your TV without mirror casting the image. It also has a lighting connection that you can direct connect to your charger so the battery life does not drain cutting your play time down.

20240721_205358.1.jpg.c6160a8c8b88d9206ec276d654182c2e.jpg

Overall rating for the App is a 5 / 10

I'm sure as ExPutt evolves and continues to improve all of the software and App versions it will be top notch sooner than later. I feel if they mix and match pieces from the App and game software it's going to be even better!

20240721_210019.1.jpg

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

On 7/20/2024 at 5:24 PM, buckpillar said:

I wanted to see if I could get some better data from the ExPutt simulator, made a change in the location of the camera sensor from on the TV stand to the floor closer to the mat. I completed the setup, adjusted camera and had everything in perfect alignment but it would not sync if with additional lighting. I replaced the camera sensor back on the TV Stand readjusted the camera sensor had a perfect picture and the ExPutt synced without issue.

I'm going to continue to try different setups to see what works the best for me, I have tried the mobile app and was not successful in connecting, I will do some investigating to see what I may have done incorrectly.

Here is a video of my camera sensor relocation.

You would think that the camera would have more success with putter face and path measurements when being lower to the ground, but I think that Exputt prioritizes the ball pace and ball launch direction over the club data. With only one camera lens, this requires the camera to be higher to measure the speed the ball moves a certain distance.

There are minimum height requirements for the camera placement and also minimum distance requirements from the camera to the putting mat. I've had the most success with the camera at the higher end of the height requirements (my camera is 44" off the ground) and the distance from camera to mat in the middle or closer (mine is between 38-44" from camera to mat). 

Keep playing around and I'm curious to see if you all find a sweet spot.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

11 hours ago, jbern said:

You would think that the camera would have more success with putter face and path measurements when being lower to the ground, but I think that Exputt prioritizes the ball pace and ball launch direction over the club data. With only one camera lens, this requires the camera to be higher to measure the speed the ball moves a certain distance.

There are minimum height requirements for the camera placement and also minimum distance requirements from the camera to the putting mat. I've had the most success with the camera at the higher end of the height requirements (my camera is 44" off the ground) and the distance from camera to mat in the middle or closer (mine is between 38-44" from camera to mat). 

Keep playing around and I'm curious to see if you all find a sweet spot.

I will tinker to see, It seems the club is calculated well after impact, maybe making camera higher might correct it.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Spent two hours today in practice mode working on my putting.  Set the min/max distances to 5ft/50ft. Wracked up 1000 points in that time. I am already seeing my distance control improve.  Tomorrow I am playing 9 holes out on the course. I will see how well today’s practice translates to RL. 

5 minutes ago, Wolfstrum said:

Spent two hours today in practice mode working on my putting.  Set the min/max distances to 5ft/50ft. Wracked up 1000 points in that time. I am already seeing my distance control improve.  Tomorrow I am playing 9 holes out on the course. I will see how well today’s practice translates to RL. 

You must have been holing out a lot! Does your putter path look good at impact but when it displays, does it show everything to the left?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

18 minutes ago, Wolfstrum said:

What is your username. Will see if I can find you to compete at some point

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips