When does the Ball you hit matter?

As someone who’s fairly new to golfing (at least consistently) most of my life I’ve just hit whatever my dad or the more experienced golfers around me would give me. Since I wasn’t golfing a lot I never put any thought into it, but now that I’m going more consistently the thought has popped into my head of if the ball I’m hitting matters at this point?

I’m still working out my mechanics, so I don’t feel like it matters right now, but should it? Or is there a point in your golf journey where you should really seek to find the ball that works for you? Is there a point in your development as a golfer where the right ball started to make a significant difference?

I appreciate any feedback y’all have!

WITB (Upgrades I want):

Taylor Made R7 Driver (Paradym X Driver)

Taylor Made 3 and 5 woods (need to look at what kind but they’re very old.) (Paradym X Woods)

Tommy Armor Imitation Irons (848 Tour Classics) 4-PW (PXG 0211 Irons)

Pinseeker SW

Bombtech Wedges (52, 56, 60) (Taylor Made Miller Grind 4 Wedges)

Tours Edge Putter (Scotty Cameron Blade)

Generically the answer is yes it matters, but I would personally apply different characteristics to that to determine how it matters.  For example:

1.  New to the game, learning to play, and losing lots of balls: play something cheap.

2. better golfer that wants to have more control of spin on tee, approach and short game shots.: they should find a ball that spins the amount you need to get the desired performance: for some that could be a low spin ball and for some that could be a high spin ball.   

If you look at the MGS ball test from 2023 you will see that all premium balls perform differently.   Find the ball that does what you need and then stick with that ball or a similar performing ball.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It matters in the context of knowing your carry distances and having them be consistent.  But there could be a dozen different golf balls that perform, more or less, the same for you.  If you grab some Callaway Supersofts from Target one round and then some Taylormade Speedsofts the next, it’s unlikely you’ll notice any difference.  If you add some Srixon Soft Feel’s and some Maxfli Softfli’s to the mix, too, paint over the logos, jumble them all up and hit 48 shots, I’d bet money you wouldn’t be able to tell which was which or even that any are different.  The same goes for balls typically branded as ‘fast’ or ‘feel,’ etc. On a simulator, they might have numbers that look different - like, ‘omg this one is 3 yards longer than the rest! - but you probably won’t notice it on the course.

I’d suggest finding a TYPE of ball you like and not worrying about the exact brand/model too much… Unless you want to; then, do that.

All of my instructors have said to remove as many variables as you can to gain consistency. Golf balls though are like buying a consumable - you’re paying money to lose the ball, essentially. For many, it’s a real expense! 

If you choose a ball, seek out interviews with Dean Snell. He says the ball is always going to behave the same  (mostly) off the tee and where the ball is most important is around the green. So when you test balls, work backwards. Start on the putting green, then chipping and pitching and so on through your irons. As a beginner I did a terribly small not remotely scientific test with 4 different balls (2, 3, and 4 pieces, and a “women’s specific” one). I found the 2 piece balls too unpredictable, and loved how the 4 pieces spun off wedges, but there wasn’t enough difference from the 3 piece to justify the extra $20 a box, especially if you’re losing more than 1-2 a round. For the record, I found the Snell 3 piece to be the prize winner for performance and price. I just order a value pack and I’m set for more than a year.

Edited by ClevelandGirl

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

Feel and confidence are so important at this stage. If you swing it 100-110+ with driver, you'll probably be best served for a ball with a bit more compression. Definitely read through this MGS article (https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/best-golf-balls/). I've always just used ProVIs because they test the best, but they don't feel great to some of my friends, who have a lower HC than I do. Some prefer a softer ball.

Lastly, cost is an important variable. If you don't mind spending a bit extra, lining up a ProVI or ProVIx can give you a little extra confidence boost, knowing the ball is solid and the same every time.

I'd grab a couple sleeves of different compressions and see what feels best to you off the face.

Michael Milich

Driver - image.png.981d41f111af45884f6126f585123707.png PXG GEN5 0311 9*, EvenFlow Riptide CB 60g 6.0

3 wood - image.png.75583d3253a684e30686d0627d78191b.png Callaway Epic Flash, 15*, Project X EvenFlow Green 65

5 wood - image.png.af7e51a2dbfeacd336f78920cad3e8bf.png Callaway Epic Flash, 18*, Project X EvenFlow Green 65

7 Wood - Snake-Eyes circa 2006, 21*, Standard S flex

Irons - (5 - PW) image.png.62ee028f8c07b8cceb73c9cbde3f933e.png Sub70 Pro 699s, KBS Tour 120 Steel

Wedges - (50, 54, 58) image.png.a7f08551553e7bae85e08118ec17c2f9.png Callaway Mack Daddy 4, S-Grind, 10* bounce, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue (Red) - Off the rack*

Putter - image.png.0cb79d8cf1bdf274e123404a01f7f520.png Odyssey Whitehot

Ball - image.png.3af1e4682dc223e90c8aeabdbf91d5b1.png Titleist ProVIx

Grips - Golf Pride MCC Plus 4