PXG Black Ops Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Evening spies, rough day at the office today.. Shot a 92 😓.. Driver and 3 wood must have been wearing there good clothes bc they didn't go to work to actually work! They were just there the first 9 holes..I fired them after the 5th hole and was driving on a 360 par 4 with my 5 iron 🧐.. The Black Ops had a decent day so no complaints from them! The 8i has become my go to club..I can shape just about on command with it.. For anyone on the fence about these irons, I say go get fitted for $25 and just feel them.. It's worth it!

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

19 hours ago, FallenSaber said:

20240907_075119.jpg.37b36cde372fd6c03a35c9a5625a227f.jpg

I was able to get 9 holes in this weekend. It was a hot one here in San Diego, hitting 100+ the past two days and mid-upper 90s along the coast.

Overall, I'd say I shot fairly well with the Black Ops Irons. I finally had some good connections with the 5 iron with 3 shots over 177. The one that was 177, I believe was a little longer based on my preshot read that the back of the green was just over 180 and I cleared the green. I also had some chunkers so still need to work on it but man do these clubs fly! Garmin also clocked a PW at 151!Screenshot_20240907_211254_Docs.jpg.62ee13a4985a13174c078b424cd00456.jpg

And I'm still loving the GW around the green and for any approach shot 80 yards and under. This has been the most confident I've been in the below 100 yard range in a while. I've had several shots that have landed within feet of the pin and when a GW shot drops on the green, it sticks!

20240907_071840.jpg.68ca252fb35932e95e6c09f8dc0c6a78.jpg

I'm not even gonna try to match ur pics.. Everytime u take one of ur clubs it looks like it belongs on a poster

5 hours ago, 3Putt4Double said:

Evening spies, rough day at the office today.. Shot a 92 😓.. Driver and 3 wood must have been wearing there good clothes bc they didn't go to work to actually work! They were just there the first 9 holes..I fired them after the 5th hole and was driving on a 360 par 4 with my 5 iron 🧐.. The Black Ops had a decent day so no complaints from them! The 8i has become my go to club..I can shape just about on command with it.. For anyone on the fence about these irons, I say go get fitted for $25 and just feel them.. It's worth it!

Screenshot_20240909_111306_Gmail.jpg.c7be60eac605c7d1c315afe79865437d.jpg

Better than spending $25 on a fitting, go do the challenge and maybe get paid $100 if your current irons perform better! Id love to hear from anyone who gives this a try!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

On 9/6/2024 at 11:47 PM, FallenSaber said:

Curious to how you feel about it. I haven't liked any of the hybrids I've gotten from PXG so far. I haven't liked how they look at address and they've seemed to just die in the air. I'd hit one and feel like it was a solid it, only to find it dropped short.

Wasn't my best outting by far Monday (was my fault, not any clubs) but I didn't see anything to impressive about this hybrid either.. Seemed kinda short and flat vs my Cleveland Mashie, but truth be told I will and have put that mashie up against any hybrid

I've worked all night so I'm a little tired but had to try the vc200 out..0211 vs BO.. Just 5 swings a piece with an 8i.. Max carry with the B.O. was 142 with an average of 134.. xcor2 rang in at Max carry of 136 with an average of 129.. Not my best work but imma try it again when I'm fresh and awake

I started this test as a 21.1 handicap. My most recent update from Garmin has me at a 20.3!

Screenshot_20240912_194348_GarminGolf.jpg.9b851166a40963864174f65d49e22b6e.jpg

On 9/10/2024 at 1:55 AM, USMCSnyper said:

More updates to come. My last 2 rounds are the best I have had in years. I shot an 84 on Sat and a 41 (9 holes) on Sunday.

I am choking up about half an inch on each iron and that has made a world of difference. I’m not concerned about distance as shot dispersion is more important to me. So far, so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great to hear!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

50 minutes ago, FallenSaber said:

I started this test as a 21.1 handicap. My most recent update from Garmin has me at a 20.3!

Screenshot_20240912_194348_GarminGolf.jpg.9b851166a40963864174f65d49e22b6e.jpg

That's awesome!  Congrats!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 8/5/2024 at 2:35 PM, 3Putt4Double said:

Hello Spy Nation! 

Most of you know me by now bc I never shut up, but for the people that don't; I'm Bubba Ivy from a map dot (Robeline) in North/Central Louisiana.. It's South enough we eat crawfish but not so South we suck the heads of them! 

Who is Bubba Ivy:

A little about myself: I married my first wife for money, but since she didn't have any and neither did I, it didn't work out🤦.. After the divorce I met my long term wife and life partner! We have raised 4 kids together; ages 21, 19, 18, and the baby is 9.. I was a natural athlete in my younger years and even got recruited by a few colleges, but chose to go to work for the family logging business.. After 18 years of that I decided I didn't want to be a business owner so I went to work for the world's largest paper producer, International Paper.. In 2020 a few buddies asked me to go golfing with them and the rest is history! Took a while off in 2022 and 2023 bc my wife was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer, but we beat it together and I went right back to golf..

My Game:

Screenshot_20240806-224524.png.9cb4da5ea6864ff3b9dad85c38912d9f.png

I'm a self taught 13 handicapper and hoping to be in single digits by summer next year but only time will tell.. Praying inflation lightens up some so I can get a swing coach and perfect the fundamentals of the game.. I'm mainly a driver/ fw woods/hybrid guy but have gotten pretty handy with my short irons (8-pw)..my approach game is strong and anything  160-200 are my favorite shots..it's that 140-160 and certain places where I need to play a long iron over a hybrid that I suffer.. Praying that the fitting turns that around for me, as I want to start playing more irons and leave the hybrids in the bag..

Searching for my Brand:

PXG has been my go to brand since I got out of my "starter set." I started with a top flight set from Dick's for $300 to get my feet wet and see if I would like the sport.. After 9 holes and that debate ended I started doing research on a decent driver..I didn't know brands at the time and all the big brands kept popping up..a couple months later into my research the brand new PXG 0211 driver came out and the more I read about the company and what they do for vets and first responders, I was sold! 

PXL_20240429_0040496162.jpg.9a43196b4daf117c51818a2470291093.jpg

PXG the best for the 1 percenters?:

Screenshot_20240806-224937.png.09cb550f7b9406258b34baa8823d06e8.png

I've never minded a company saying they are the best at what they do.. Hell, I respect it! It takes guts to stand out and not blend in.. I've always heard PXG is for the rich but I've only been playing since the 0211 line has been out and dollar for dollar it beats any cavity back club I've ever played! 

Will Black Ops have a permanent home?

For the Black Ops to make my bag they will have to be longer with more apex than my xcor2.. I'm a PXG fanatic but I'm happy with my irons so it's gonna take real numbers for me to pull them out and put them in the closet!

Just so you know:

Just bc I love the PXG brand doesn't guarantee these clubs to get high numbers.. I wasn't a Vice fan going into the Vice Pro ball test and was pleasantly surprised.. The product was great enough to change my mind! That door swings both ways.. If the clubs don't live up to the hype, you spies will be the first to know! Don't want y'all buying something bc I gave a good review to something that doesn't deserve it!

Screenshot_20240810-095035.png.1f5c71e4f215aed873b66cf156389612.png

The PXG Dallas Store:

PXL_20240808_180108135.jpg.a0bb55a2470f11b7e406d53c416d2e94.jpg

I arrived an hour early to PXG Dallas to check the place out and to get a feel for everybody working.. First, the cashier got me a bottle of water and showed me around the showroom floor.. Extremely nice young man and knowledgeable about the products he was selling! The Fitting Manager came out to the floor about 15 min after I arrived and I picked his brain a little over his products and the "old" reputation of PXG being for the "financially sound".. We all know he can't answer for Mr. Parsons but he did have some insight on the matter.. He believes Mr Parsons just wanted to make the best club available, no matter the cost.. In business we all know making less means paying more so the club sold at a higher price.. After COVID golf caught the interest of millions, he wanted to make it affordable for your "everyday Joe", so in comes the 0211 model and the rest is history!

PXL_20240808_172921459.jpg.c1022ef577dffc32e401817a66457576.jpg

The Fitting:

Let's start this off with the bad parts or "the low points" of this fitting session...

i-got-nothin-i-got-nothing.gif.37df19185e72f2e0c0de11b4d739e0b2.gif

They brought me to the fitting room that had 3 bays.. I was talking with my fitter but also listening in on the other two fitting sessions and could tell immediately this was gonna be detailed! My fitter (Jay) walked with me to the first stall and asked me what I wanted out of my irons.. After a brief discussion I let him know I'm mainly a hybrid/fw woods guy but wanted more distance and consistency from my iron play.. Within 3 swings he spotted the problem! I'm a big guy and built like a retired NFL linebacker that enjoys chips and beer and have just over 11" hands.. Apparently my stance wasn't great bc I was bent over to far and reaching for the ball, and holding my grip much to tight bc of playing the wrong size grip.. Since I'm self taught and haven't been playing all that long I'm open to any suggestions, and he definitely had a few! As he went to digging thru shafts, i kept hacking away..

PXL_20240808_190650901.jpg.a0d279dac79cdb174242bf51c013177e.jpg

Jay grabbed the longest shaft he had on location (elevate 95st +1 1/2 I think) and pointed where he wanted me to hit on the screen.. In that moment something clicked.. What to this point had just been another average run of the mill iron all the sudden felt great! It felt better then ordering fries at Burger King and getting an onion ring buried in the middle! My misses even felt good! For a few swings I felt like I could tee off on a par 5 550 yards with a 7 iron and be on in two (obviously not the case but that's how it felt!)

PXL_20240808_184824911.jpg.db80a1ef91cec806aca103083821ee70.jpg

Jay had me try a few more shafts and while a couple felt decent I just couldn't get my mind off of the elevate shaft.. By this time we are 70 swings in and I'm getting tired but wanted to hit the longer shaft 1 more round.. While running out of gas I got my longest one of the day/ 162 yards with a 107 ball speed.. Might not be much for some of y'all but I was proud, and tired! After everything was said and done I think we decided on +2 1/2 length true temper elevate 1 weak loft and Jay gave me 3 "business cards" (a poker chip ball marker with his name and phone number) and the fitting manager came out to ask how everything went.. Extremely professional place and highly recommended! I will be back and I want the exact same experience..I found my fitter!

34529807-7851-432f-b9ab-48778a923b8e.jpg.878b52fc64f1832fa0ea97105311f92f.jpg

Unboxing/First Impression: 10/10

There, in my humble opinion, is no other way to grade this! PXG has trained people in how they want these clubs packaged.. Crazy!! I went to the local park to do my unboxing and tried for 10 min to replicate putting them back in the box and couldn't do it.. Every club it fit snug so nothing rubs and the clubs come to u flawless!

I haven't measured yet but think they are only 1 1/2" longer than stock, which I think I prefer.. The oversize grips feel great and the club itself is a masterpiece!

PXL_20240819_2357482673.jpg.926a8aa5248095d679de827914caddf2.jpg

Arrived on time, well package, and not one single flaw on any club; can't think of one reason to deduct a point for.. Would give it a 12/10 if possible.. This should make other companies step there game up! Great job PXG!

Hope you and your family are well following the Hurricane.

The claim is the most forgiving game improvement club on the market today! I have a pretty decent swing averaging 83 mph with a 7 iron but not a near enough "sweet spot" consistent hitter, which makes me perfect to tell the readers if the forgiveness is taking away from the distance! Hopefully Marc, Joe, and myself can get to the bottom of this whole forgiveness vs yards ideology and see if these are in fact the clubs that have it all!

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

43 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

Hope you and your family are well following the Hurricane

We didn't get any of it where I happen to live.. It was more South East.. Did have a huge limb fall on my house the same day but wasn't from wind, just nature taking it's course.. appreciate u asking though

56 minutes ago, 3Putt4Double said:

We didn't get any of it where I happen to live.. It was more South East.. Did have a huge limb fall on my house the same day but wasn't from wind, just nature taking it's course.. appreciate u asking though

I'm relieved to hear that you were unaffected l.  When I saw the news, I remembered you were in LA.  

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

1 hour ago, 3Putt4Double said:

I forgot you were In Louisiana. Next time you’re in central Arkansas give me a shout and we’ll go get a round in!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

11 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I forgot you were In Louisiana. Next time you’re in central Arkansas give me a shout and we’ll go get a round in!

I'm in Hot Springs pretty often.. Have a sister in law that lives there

1 minute ago, 3Putt4Double said:

I'm in Hot Springs pretty often.. Have a sister in law that lives there

Some great courses down there! I didn’t start playing until I moved away from that area. We’ll have to put the PXGs to work lol

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

33 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

I'm relieved to hear that you were unaffected l.  When I saw the news, I remembered you were in LA.  

I'm more Central/Northern Louisiana so we've actually only been in 1 or 2 since Katrina and they are normally slowed way down when they get to us.. My son lives in Lake Charles, not far from the Gulf.. He's the one I worry about most

2 minutes ago, Coulter said:

Some great courses down there! I didn’t start playing until I moved away from that area. We’ll have to put the PXGs to work lol

Sounds great to me!!

Need to figure out how to get the Swing Caddie to work properly. Had a practice session at home with my 7 iron and I was only able to record 1 shot. I tried multiple positions behind the ball and heights to try to get it to register my shots. Here is the one it recorded.

Screenshot_20240914_164743_MySwingCaddie.jpg.9418f5c9c06fc4d01bdfd46e9a51dee0.jpg

Other stats:

- Smash Factor: 1.25

- Apex: 68.5

- Spin: 7510