How do you compare to these distances?

Javs

15 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

You have some serious yardage gapping issues in that setup. I suspect that some of your iron lofts need to be looked at and probably adjusted. As a professional club fitter, this is one of the first things that I do when I do a fitting, if the golfer wants to stay with their current irons/hybrids.

Yeah these clubs are being replaced Tuesday because of that. You also have to realize these distances are totals not carry so conditions on the actual course and how I played are in there too. And that's over 30 rounds this year. The irons I have are extreme game improvement irons that are loft jacked and longer and in doing so they lost spin over more traditional lofted irons. For example my current 7 iron is 28* 37.5 long. I'm going to a players iron at 31* and 37.  These extreme game improvement irons absolutely helped when I  was in the higher handicaps. Now that I'm chasing single digit handicap I want closer gappings and more spin/control. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

@funkyjudge I’m thinking Sub 70 next season. Do you think they or New Level check the clubs after they’re built? I’m a custom build with 2* flat and an inch over standard with project x LZ shafts. (I am playing IO shafts right now but going back to LZs next season) I like your thought process and hope that when I order clubs they’re checked before I get them.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

16 hours ago, Javs said:

I actually found the chart you presented more interesting. 

Well, I think it's more representative of better than average scoring, at least for amateurs.  Long balls in the rough are of little value simply because most amateurs are, unlike pro's, unable to extract themselves from it with any level of accuracy.

I also meant to say that presuming the yardages are for a 30-40 age group, that they are representative of my yardages adjusting for age (~4 yards/club shorter in my case).

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I think it's more representative of better than average scoring, at least for amateurs.  Long balls in the rough are of little value simply because most amateurs are, unlike pro's, unable to extract themselves from it with any level of accuracy.

I also meant to say that presuming the yardages are for a 30-40 age group, that they are representative of my yardages adjusting for age (~4 yards/club shorter in my case).

I agree with you on the scoring average for amateurs. The distances I believe are generic averages. I’m over 60 and still hit it farther than the quoted 0-5 numbers. I liked your chart as it relates to scoring opportunity. 

Play like a champion today!

14 minutes ago, Javs said:

I think there was an error on the H19.

No I just can't hit that thing. It's actually not in the bag so it's numbers haven't updated. I think that's base on 3 shots when the others are 20ish shots each. 

It and the 3 wood are about the same distance overall when hit well so I use the 3 as it's more consistent. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

52 minutes ago, Erin B said:

@funkyjudge I’m thinking Sub 70 next season. Do you think they or New Level check the clubs after they’re built? I’m a custom build with 2* flat and an inch over standard with project x LZ shafts. (I am playing IO shafts right now but going back to LZs next season) I like your thought process and hope that when I order clubs they’re checked before I get them.

I have dealt with both New Level and Sub 70 over the last 5.5 to 6 years, and I’ve found that both companies do a good to excellent job of building to non-standard specifications. I own a set of New Level irons, a sand wedge and driving iron from them, all of which I purchased between 2019-2020. As for Sub 70, I own LOTS of their clubs (driver, several fairways and hybrids — including a few that have been my “gamers” for at least 3 years — and a mixed set of Sub 70 699/699 Pro irons). I have also built custom Sub 70 irons and hybrids for some of my customers and for the captain of my senior travel team.

I do have much more recent experience with Sub 70 than I do with New Level, mainly because I find Sub 70 to be much easier to work with than New Level (just my experience, and keep in mind that this was 5+ years ago).

In both custom builds done for me, and components that I purchased for customers’ builds, I found the non-standard specifications were pretty much spot-on from these two companies. I personally play lie angles on my irons that are flatter than either company’s “standards”, and the irons (both custom-built by the manufacturer and components sent for customer builds) were exactly as what I ordered, or at least within 1/2 degree, in every case.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Tour Edge Exotics C722, XCaliber 95-R graphite (hard-stepped)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have dealt with both New Level and Sub 70 over the last 5.5 to 6 years, and I’ve found that both companies do a good to excellent job of building to non-standard specifications. I own a set of New Level irons, a sand wedge and driving iron from them, all of which I purchased between 2019-2020. As for Sub 70, I own LOTS of their clubs (driver, several fairways and hybrids — including a few that have been my “gamers” for at least 3 years — and a mixed set of Sub 70 699/699 Pro irons). I have also built custom Sub 70 irons and hybrids for some of my customers and for the captain of my senior travel team.

I do have much more recent experience with Sub 70 than I do with New Level, mainly because I find Sub 70 to be much easier to work with than New Level (just my experience, and keep in mind that this was 5+ years ago).

In both custom builds done for me, and components that I purchased for customers’ builds, I found the non-standard specifications were pretty much spot-on from these two companies. I personally play lie angles on my irons that are flatter than either company’s “standards”, and the irons (both custom-built by the manufacturer and components sent for customer builds) were exactly as what I ordered, or at least within 1/2 degree, in every case.

P.S. — I really like the looks of the current New Level 480 Series irons, and their forged irons have always been winner, in my opinion.

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

52 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

No I just can't hit that thing. It's actually not in the bag so it's numbers haven't updated. I think that's base on 3 shots when the others are 20ish shots each. 

It and the 3 wood are about the same distance overall when hit well so I use the 3 as it's more consistent. 

Oh got you. It’s in the penalty box!

55 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

P.S. — I really like the looks of the current New Level 480 Series irons, and their forged irons have always been winner, in my opinion.

I’m playing the 902PDs right now. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

20 minutes ago, Javs said:

@funkyjudge what do you think of the MMT 105 stiff iron shafts? How would you compare them to DG Tour 120’s S300?

I have just never liked the feel of the Mitsubishi MMT iron and hybrid shafts, but I have never hit any of them that are heavier than 90 grams.

I definitely can’t compare the MMT 105 shafts to any of the Dynamic Gold steel shafts, because I don’t have experience with them.

The composite iron shafts that feel and play closest to Dynamic Golds are the heavier SteelFiber shafts, particularly the 110s and 125s in the SteelFibers.

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have just never liked the feel of the Mitsubishi MMT iron and hybrid shafts, but I have never hit any of them that are heavier than 90 grams.

I definitely can’t compare the MMT 105 shafts to any of the Dynamic Gold steel shafts, because I don’t have experience with them.

The composite iron shafts that feel and play closest to Dynamic Golds are the heavier SteelFiber shafts, particularly the 110s and 125s in the SteelFibers.

Honest answer thank you!

I am 39 and a 2 handicap. I think I hit about 10 yards farther than the graph. I think your biggest question would be how strong of loft are you playing? I am using Mizuno mp54 at the moment.

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

Charts are fun to compare yourself to but I have found how your body and swing ages to be a better factor. I know when I hit 60, I started to notice a loss in distance in all my clubs. Where I used to hit driver only on par 4 holes longer than 400 yards, now at 71 going on to the next number soon, I can hit driver and a mid iron into holes under 400 yards. Thankfully, with my continued workouts, my driver can still reach out to 200-210 but my irons are hopelessly being reduced each and every year. Where I used 8-9 iron at 150 now relegated to a 6 or 7. What has gotten a whole lot better is my pitching and chipping where I can get more 1 putts which save my round.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)