Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Biggest Weakness, best strength?

Does anyone else struggle with this question? Seems to be asked on most golf sites, fittings etc.. I always look for the ok at everything, great at nothing box but it's never there. Some days I drive the ball great but can't putt. Others, I can't  get on in reg. But sink every putt. Two weeks of the year, it all comes together, my cap drops and for the rest of the season... well best not to play and net events. Anyway- cheers to all the OKs at all, great  at nothings. Please share any tips, frustrations and how to fill out those on line fittings. ( do you want more distance, accuracy, high low, spin more less etc.. I want to say yes to everything)

Ping 430max, Stealth 2plus 15°

pxg 19,° 22°, 0311p gen 3 5-gap

Vokey sm10 54, 58

LAB Mezz 35" 

So, I recommend using some type of metrics like strokes gained or similar to see where you actually weaknesses are over time. 

Personally, I use shot scope and compared to a 15 HC which I am around. Putting and short game I gain approach and driving I lose strokes, Looking deeper it's bad drives directionally that force either penalties or long approaches. So, I want to look at my driving and my misses. I tend to have a pretty low flight so I want more spin with better accuracy. 

Besides playing smarter of course. 

So I generally just go out an try to enjoy the walk. I do use an app called Mscorecard that allows me to track pretty much everything. I look at it once a month to see what has been good and what has been not so good.

However I find the key to a good round is making the right decisions. If you are in the rough in our case trees then evaluate the risk factor. I used to go for everything and seldom pulled then off. Now I generally take my medicine, knock if back out on to the fairway and hopefully walk away with a double.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 21Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Volkey 56 Degree  Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Titliest Pro V1

OGIO Woodie 15 Bag

MCI Zip X3 Electric Buggy

Great question.

I "feel" like I am the best at putting because typically when I shoot good or where I want to score. I look back and be like yeah I drained some nice ones today and avoided 3 putts. 

On the flip if shoot bad and ask myself what just happened it sometimes my driver but usually my ability to hit the green from 160-200(8i-5i for me) or at least give myself a good leave. 

I keep thinking about an App like Shot Scope ti tell me what is really going on, especially those inbetween rounds. But I wanna golf I don't want to mess with apps, sensors, watches, tap here etc.. maybe I'm over thinking it and there not that complicated but when I play my basically beer league I don't want to be "that guy"

Driver Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 w/ VA Composites Rajin 64

3W Mizuno ST-Z 15 w/ VA Composites Rajin 74

3H Mizuno CLK Hybrid 19 w/ VA Composites Rajin 84

4H Mizuno CLK Hybrid 22 w/ VA Composites Rajin 84

5i-PW Cobra Forged Tec w/ KBS C-Taper LITE Stiff

50, 54, 58 Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Taylormade Spider X

I downloaded and use two different apps to help track my game over a longer period of time to identify areas needing improvement.  Needless to say, all areas needed improvement but the apps allowed me to prioritize.  For me it was my approach game.  Missed a large number of greens short or to the right.  Since then I have been focused on better alignment ( I was aiming WAY right) and correct club selection for distance.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder