Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

R1 price drop by $50

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, to be clear, for the 15th year in a row, manufacturers are dropping prices and we're pissed about it? No matter what you buy, if you wait, it'll be cheaper. Were you happy when you bought it? The price seemed OK then? Were you FORCED to buy a new club? Then quit whining. Hell, buy last year's RBZ Tour. I know places selling them for 149. Go buy a used one. Why all the whining? I'm a competitive cyclist. Know who doesn't whine about the price drops on bikes? ANYONE. Prices drop. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

• SPY VIP

So, to be clear, for the 15th year in a row, manufacturers are dropping prices and we're pissed about it? No matter what you buy, if you wait, it'll be cheaper. Were you happy when you bought it? The price seemed OK then? Were you FORCED to buy a new club? Then quit whining. Hell, buy last year's RBZ Tour. I know places selling them for 149. Go buy a used one. Why all the whining? I'm a competitive cyclist. Know who doesn't whine about the price drops on bikes? ANYONE. Prices drop. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

Call this reason number 783 why golf is different. Everybody knows the price is going to drop (even PING and Titleist eventually cut prices), but people still get upset when it happens.

I say that with the concession that price drops happened stupid early this year for TM (and Callaway) gear. I'm not sure how prevalent the practice is, but I know that Dick's and GG have what amounts to a 30 day price guarantee. If the price drops within a month of your purchase, they'll refund you the difference. Unfortunately my guess is that most green grass and mom and pops don't do have the same policy (call that reason 308 why it's getting harder for the little guy to compete).

Before doing MGS full time I came from the computer/technology world...price drops were the absolute norm. There was always something bigger, badder, and better (or at least newer) on the horizon, and I basically had to live with it. The rule of thumb was don't buy until you absolutely had to have it, because the price ALWAYS drops, and you ALWAYS pay less tomorrow than you did yesterday.

All that said...anyone who is legitimately pissed about what I think most would agree is a premature price drop...Call TaylorMade to politely voice your displeasure with the situation.

Bigger picture...I just don't see how TaylorMade is going to sell anything next year...at least not early in the season. Sure, you will have guys that want the latest, and they'll pay to get it, but how do you sell a $400 driver in March, when everyone expects is going to be $300 by the end of May? When the demand isn't there do you cut prices again, or do you eat the lack of sales for a season to right the consumer mindset?

Whether they want to put the blame on Dick's or not, it sure looks like TaylorMade has already jeopardized 2014.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

T,

this won't affect them at all. Golf boards do not represent the buying public. (If you follow the boards, you'd think Cobra has a hit on their hands with this year's driver. It's not in the TOP TEN sales wise.) TM has the #1, #2 and #3 driver on the market right now. It won't hurt them. Just like it didn't kill them when Callaway gave fairway woods away with purchase of a driver when TM first started eating at their market share (and TM immediately followed suit). All it kills is the trade in value of a club. This isn't new. Callaway discontinued the RazrX Black after 46 days last year. Less than 7 weeks. And took $100 off. No one even remembers. The weather has led to supply chain problems in the whole industry. Racks are full, OEM warehouses are full, factories are still building. Something had to give. TM is at least giving account credit instead of making the retailer take in new product for net downs this year. Makes it easier to sell for whatever you want.

The problem isn't that prices dropped.

The problem is that the ONLY PRICE DROPS HAPPENED FOR DICKS AND GG.

That is the problem.

So Dicks and GG get notice of price cuts almost a week before the other guys and that's fair?

I promise you this--TM didn't know they were doing it. I guarantee it. TGW immediately followed suit, as did every other retailer. TM was inundated with angry calls and e-mails, and Dicks/GG are being dealt with. Seriously, I have never seen an OEM this angry with a retailer. And it's real, not show. This was a fiasco, TMaG knows it, and is unhappy. Great for the consumer, though. I don't worry about what's fair, just what is reality. If a guy had to price match, so what? It always gets taken care of by the OEM. He'll get his credit (like I said, if it was free product to net down that's a different story. But credit? A perfect scenario for dealers.)

• SPY VIP

You can guarantee it, and I will un-guarantee it for you. Don't believe everything you hear. I might not be able to promise you are wrong right at this very second. But there is more to this...and I will GUARANTEE that.

I promise you this--TM didn't know they were doing it. I guarantee it. TGW immediately followed suit, as did every other retailer. TM was inundated with angry calls and e-mails, and Dicks/GG are being dealt with. Seriously, I have never seen an OEM this angry with a retailer. And it's real, not show. This was a fiasco, TMaG knows it, and is unhappy. Great for the consumer, though. I don't worry about what's fair, just what is reality. If a guy had to price match, so what? It always gets taken care of by the OEM. He'll get his credit (like I said, if it was free product to net down that's a different story. But credit? A perfect scenario for dealers.)

#TruthDigest

Actually, I'll continue whining as much as I want. I wasn't fit for a model 1-2 years old, I was fit for the R1. Do I know there are going to be price drops...of course, everyone knows that, we're not a bunch of f@#&ing morons. The problem is when you launch a product for $450 and two months later drop it $150 dollars. It's a slap in the face to the consumer that paid full price. I was fine with paying that price, because I tried 100 different drivers and the R1 was the best (for me) by a mile. I wouldn't be whining if I had bought the driver at full price 6 months after it launched and the price dropped a few months later; I bought mine the day it hit the store and 2 months later it is $150 cheaper. So yeah, Zinger (even more so) and I have a right to ****** and whine as much as we want.

• SPY VIP

Actually, I'll continue whining as much as I want. I wasn't fit for a model 1-2 years old, I was fit for the R1. Do I know there are going to be price drops...of course, everyone knows that, we're not a bunch of f@#&ing morons. The problem is when you launch a product for $450 and two months later drop it $150 dollars. It's a slap in the face to the consumer that paid full price. I was fine with paying that price, because I tried 100 different drivers and the R1 was the best (for me) by a mile. I wouldn't be whining if I had bought the driver at full price 6 months after it launched and the price dropped a few months later; I bought mine the day it hit the store and 2 months later it is $150 cheaper. So yeah, Zinger (even more so) and I have a right to ****** and whine as much as we want.

Without any comment regarding whether or not anyone should or should not be...or does or does not have the right to be upset about the price drops...

Seriously...If you're upset about it...regardless of whether price or the sudden availability of black, or both is your issue, call TaylorMade and let them know.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Just got an email from golfsmith. R1 & R1 black now $299.98. Undercutting everybody else by a penny! Will these things ever bottom out?!

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Without any comment regarding whether or not anyone should or should not be...or does or does not have the right to be upset about the price drops...

Seriously...If you're upset about it...regardless of whether price or the sudden availability of black, or both is your issue, call TaylorMade and let them know.

+1. I'd be very interest in hearing TM's response because I know I'd be pissed off as well. You might want to drop in that their response will become public ;)

Already sent them an email. :D

I basically said the same as I did here, that I felt it was a slap in the face, with the price dropping so dramatically in such a short time after the product launched.

Seriously, am I in the wrong, being upset about this?

And while I'm bitching, why the hell do they only give me 300 words to speak my mind......bullsh!t. :lol:

I feel you brutha, it's like buying into an investment only to see it go in the red overnight. You have every right to be "ticked" off.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I basically said the same as I did here, that I felt it was a slap in the face, with the price dropping so dramatically in such a short time after the product launched.

Seriously, am I in the wrong, being upset about this?

I don't think so, it isn't fair to you who got the driver at launch to have it discounted by 100 only a couple of months later, that would've pissed me off as well because of the hard earned money I would've spent. Your only concession is you are hitting it well so you don't feel as you wasted as much money as would be someone who bought it, hated it and now they have a 450$ paper weight

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't think so, it isn't fair to you who got the driver at launch to have it discounted by 100 only a couple of months later, that would've pissed me off as well because of the hard earned money I would've spent. Your only concession is you are hitting it well so you don't feel as you wasted as much money as would be someone who bought it, hated it and now they have a 450$ paper weight

I'm certainly going to get my moneys worth out of it and normally I wouldn't ****** about it, but if they can drop the prices that much in such a short time after launch, then it was way overpriced to begin with. I don't even care about the black/white deal, I probably would have went with black given the option, but the white has grown on me.

I definitely feel for jbones and zinger, I'd be upset too if something price dropped just outside my window of price matching.

However mostly I'm just happy with the timing of the driver price wars. Just got $200 of gift cards to Golfsmith for $100 thanks to a well timed Groupon and I see a new driver in my future for a very good deal :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Dude, without knowing what ya do specifically, I'm guessin that you're a Class A or ya act in that calacity at a club, course or range. You obviously have the "inside" knowledge that only a few like X, T & Apprenti and a few others would have. And you're spot on with your comments.

It's your delivery though, not the meassage. I mean, if your intent is to needlessly piss people off, then fine. And I'm one of those dumb*sses that paid $400 a month ago, and I bought it through my club's pro shop to support my pro, when yea, I coulda got the same club at Dick's or GG, and given myself the 30 day safety net, so while I choose to take my boning with a grimace and silently, I can understand how some are bitter or pissed whether or not they are familiar with the way the industry works or not.

A lot of guys use the forum or a thread to vent, and I know the guys venting here and they all know how the "system" works, though that doesn't make the pill any easier to swallow. I guess my only comment is everyone's entitled to their opinions without bein b*tch slapped for venting, even though you had some excellent points.

Just one man's thoughts

Have a great season

And Zinger, you should try flippin em the "pec dec" and see if that's good for at least $50 of the $100 B)

I'm kiddin Bro!! :P

I hope that you're smashin the 1!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thanks. I'm not a Class A, just an old dog that worked for a few of these companies, ran 45 stores for a HUGE retailer, and consulted with a couple more on retail releases and pricing after that. Just kept my contacts close thru the years. And I don't mean to be an ass. I just get tired of the same whining every damn year. People are just pissed to be pissed.

On another note--if your pro won't take care of you on that purchase you gotta get on him. TM will absolutely take care of HIM if he helps you out. Your loyalty should be rewarded. I cannot imagine one of my old managers not doing that for a loyal customer/member. I'd fire him on the spot.

Hey Taylor Made, SPY ZINGER. Maybe you've heard of me? Yep, the best looking man in golf, correct. Yes, they are all natural. Anyway, bought an R1 and a week later, you have one in the color I prefer. And like Wesley Snipes said in the acclaimed, Passenger 57, always bet on black. Yes, I am a Callaway whooer. But I liked yours better, so I paid retail which I never do.

Can you help a beautiful man?

I'll report back tomorrow...

Posted Image

I am really not looking for credit or even a black one. Sure, I would have preferred it, but at the same time, I bought it because it performed regardless of paint.

It's just the ongoing principal. I understand price drops, they are going to happen. But come on, we've only been playing golf in Minnesota for a month. So, to us, it's like it dropped $100 in a month, and now it's a better color to boot. The TM faithful have got to be a little let down.

Posted Image

What did you pay $450 for? the R1 was NEVER 450. Not for a single day.

I am really not looking for credit or even a black one. Sure, I would have preferred it, but at the same time, I bought it because it performed regardless of paint.

It's just the ongoing principal. I understand price drops, they are going to happen. But come on, we've only been playing golf in Minnesota for a month. So, to us, it's like it dropped $100 in a month, and now it's a better color to boot. The TM faithful have got to be a little let down.

You hit the nail on the head. This is the worst golf weather in a decade. Projections were made on the economy getting better, and then everyone was hit with a 9 month winter. Supply chains are full. I hate what has happened to the club pro in this business. That is who is getting screwed. It sucks. My pro is a GREAT guy, and the members pound him on price daily. We had a board meeting get out of hand about it. Board members not understaning why the shop breaks even, thinking it should be a profit center. Not having any clue what the actual cost of the product is. One guy thought clubs were, and I quote, "at least 60% markup."

Zing, if you get nowhere with TM shoot me a PM. I'll help apply some pressure upward.

Understandable, but the $250 price point puts this in the, "worth the risk" category.

Yup. Richard made me do it! :P It says shipping on the 19th. It must not be in stock. But that's too good to pass up.

Just an FYI.... the street price on the R1, both white and black versions is lower that the $250 that Golfsmith is offering.. I was able to find it for $239.99, with no discount code.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived