Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review

Stogiesnbogies

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review

By Stogiesnbogies

FYI: I am a senior player with an 85-90 Max swing speed; a 15-17 handicap who plays senior flex shafted clubs. I hit my average drives between 180-200 yards and max out under ideal conditions with a very rare 220 yard "bomb".

Callaway has produced the lowest compression ball on the market here with a 38 rating. In contrast the Wilson Staff Duo, it's nearest competitor has a 43 compression; the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite at 50, while the Titleist DT So/Lo checks in at 72. (FYI: All slower swing players; perhaps the reason that the Pro V1X does nothing for you or me has something to do with its 102 compression rating!)

In addition to it's softest compression which enhances direction and distance (as well as feel off the club) Callaway has produced a soft, responsive cover. The soft core and soft cover combine with HEX aerodynamics to produce a golf ball that reduces spin and adds distance.

I absolutely love this ball as it combines the best aspects of both the Wilson Staff Duo and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite without any of their liabilities. For example the Callaway Super Soft has great distance like the duo but much better feel off the putter.

I find the super soft to be straighter and consequently a tad longer than the Fifty Elite as well. It performs great around the greens with approach shots that sit and pitches and chips that run true. It feels and sounds great off of all club faces. It has proven to be quite durable as well as I played 2 full rounds with one ball and it still looks fine; no scuffs, scratches or cuts.

Callaway definitely has a winner here for a large piece of the golfing market- namely seniors, most women and others with slower swing speeds. It is available in white or yellow (I tested white) and is well priced at 18 -20 dollars per dozen much like its market competitors, the Wilson Staff Duo and Titleist DT So/Lo. All good balls but I'm bagging the Callaway Super Softs Now!!

That is great info. I was just having a conversation with a senior player that thought he should use harder balls to help his game. I was trying to talk him out of the harder ball and into the Wilson Duo, since it was the lowest compression before this new Callaway came out. I will have to let him know that these might be an even better option for him. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome, SMRT....please do check back and let us know how that senior player likes this golf ball.

You might also want to tell him/her that a still less expensive ball which is very soft and very responsive is the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite (50 compression) that goes for about 12 bucks per dozen - and IMO putts better than the Duo....but seriously, for 20 bucks a box this guy/gal can't go wrong with the Callaway Super Soft which I consider to be the best all around performer in the low compression ball market...

Fairways and Greens..

What happens distance wise if someone like JBones hits a Super Soft?  Or, better way to put it, at what swing speed is there a cross-over where the Super Soft or similar balls starts hurting distance?  I recall the hullabaloo over Lady Precepts and as I remember, they weren't just popular with slower swing speed players.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I found a Super Soft last week.....looks like a one hit wonder, so it's still in my bag.   With a 87 - 95 mph SS I will give it a whack.......or two.

Thanks for the info Stogies.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

What happens distance wise if someone like JBones hits a Super Soft?  Or, better way to put it, at what swing speed is there a cross-over where the Super Soft or similar balls starts hurting distance?  I recall the hullabaloo over Lady Precepts and as I remember, they weren't just popular with slower swing speed players.  

As you can discern from my introductory comments; I am a senior player with a slower swing speed. Consequently I wouldn't have any idea at what swing speed point this ball ceases to perform. LOL     All I can say is that it does indeed perform for me; longer, straighter with less spin off the big Dawg driver and considerable feel and even a goodly amount of "drop and stop" on the greens.  I even tested it in torrential rain the other day and it performed remarkably well.  

However you or someone else with a faster SS may wish to test out the Super Soft, Wilson Staff Duo and Fifty Elite along with perhaps the DT So/LO and provide a review of their performance when compared to each other.  Would make for an interesting review/thread that even those with slower swing speeds may enjoy.  I know that I'd be interested in knowing how these low compression balls perform for you.

I found a Super Soft last week.....looks like a one hit wonder, so it's still in my bag.   With a 87 - 95 mph SS I will give it a whack.......or two.

Thanks for the info Stogies.

Methinks you're going to love this ball....I even managed to play nine holes in rainy weather the other day and it performed great! 

Please do check back to this thread and post your experience with the ball.

Cheers.

Archived