Testers
Equipment Type: Iron Shafts
Vendor: Nippon

Want to contribute to the data MyGolfSpy collects?

Welcome to Testers Wanted where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 10.54.18 AM.png

The Nippon N.S. PRO 850GH neo.  It's a long product name with a simple story. If you're a golfer that uses a 40-50 gram driver shaft, Nippon designed the N.S. PRO 850GH neo for you. In other words, golfers who benefit from lightweight driver and fairway wood shafts should find a similar upside with sub-100 gram iron shafts.

The design architecture is similar to the N.S. PRO 950 neo, with the 850GH neo coming in a weight class lower (84.5 gm in R flex and 88 gr in S flex). Moreover, the N.S. PRO 850GH neo acknowledges two key industry realities. First, many golfers are better off with irons that launch higher and spin more. Also, the typical modern GI (game improvement) iron design features less static loft (hello 40° pitching wedges) with a lower center of gravity to try and offset the jacked lofts.

Hitting your 7-iron 10 yards further might be nice and feel good inside the friendly confines of an indoor simulator. But, what benefit is increased distance if it doesn't get you any closer to the hole?

Nippon is quick to acknowledge the early success and widespread adoption of the N.S. PRO 850GH neo on the Japan Ladies Professional Tour. But, that shouldn't be misconstrued as any indication that this series is female-specific. The reality is, most golfers that look to professionals for product credibility would be far better to emulate the specs and bag setup of professional female golfers as opposed to male golfers. But that's where the similarities end. Put differently, the only thing an amateur golfer has in common with an LPGA pro is that they both will often fit into the same equipment specs.

It's fair to suggest that Nippon is the industry leader in lightweight steel iron shafts. It's also reasonable to opine that Nippon might be the industry's most underrated steel shaft manufacturer. You don't need to tell that to Tony Finau or plenty of other pros and elite amateurs. IFYKYK, right?

We are looking for FOUR (4) Testers!

US or Canada based forum members can put these Iron shafts to the test! Righty or Left works here, as I'm told shafts can be installed backwards for those of you who swing the wrong way like @GolfSpy_APH.  Nippon will provide the shafts and installation, but it's up to you to provide the iron heads for this test.

New to the forum?

Want to increase your chances of being selected for testing? Here is a link to a guide which lays it all out for you and will allow you to know exactly how, why and who we select for testing here: How to Become a Tester

9 Comments

At this moment, I would like to give an immense thanks to MGS and Nippon! I would also like to quote a famous figure of our generation..

Can't wait!

This Test is now closed to further comments.

60 Comments

I'd like to sign up. I've tried every way possible to find the lightest shaft available for my drivers. Currently I'm using the Omega Mach 4 Ultra light in one of my drivers, an EverFlow Riptide CB 50 gm in my Callaway Epic Speed and a Bassara42 Gm. in another GBB Epic.  I have Aerotech Steelfiber i 110 cw in my Ping irons. They feel much heavier than I'd like, but I don't know what is available to replace them. I surely would love to try these shafts, I believe this one is is a test that comes right down my alley!  Thanks!

Rich

Definitely interested. Went to a 50 gram driver shaft with a noticeable gain in club head speed. Would love to see if it works in my irons. Being in Palm Springs, CA, golf is a year round activity. 

Would love to check out some lighter weight shafts.  Currently playing stiff shafts in the PXG irons I’m at 120 gram now but would like to see how the lighter shafts would perform

On 11/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Where my Otto Phlex users at!?  Who wants to give Nippon's newest lightweight steel offering to the test?  I'm excited for the testers here as an unashamed Nippon fan boy.  Getting four more people introduces to the delicious Nippon shaft feel is going to be fun! 

Otto Phlex user here looking to try these in my irons. I’ll have a complete set of lightweight shafts. 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Had this not been a NA test it would be one that certainly intrigued me.

That being said looking forward to those who are selected and see what they can do with these!

You don't swing the wrong way!  Some of the best players are lefties!

I signed up, but I'm still testing something else.  Also, not sure that this fits my game at all.  I'm using 85gm on my irons right now, and don't currently hit any woods.

Good luck to all of you who do and get some sweet new tech!

13 hours ago, style79000 said:

Currently playing 110g steel shafts, I would test to see if I would feel the club head better! 

Well this shaft will not be for me to test, but I will follow the results closely because...why not and ask my clubmaker to test it.

Been hearing a lot of great things about these shafts. Pretty bummed my season is over, otherwise I'd be tossing my name in for sure. Having moved from graphite back to steel I've noticed more consistency with a heavier shaft but I'd love some more height + distance for sure. 

Best of luck to all those who enter to be chosen as testers.

Myself, being fit into Nippon Modus 120 shafts, I can say that the Nippon shafts are the best feeling shafts I have ever played in about 50 years of playing.

Will be interested in the findings once the testing is underway.

would love to try these, currently putting together a set of muscle backs for my son, he is currently using kbs 130g in his titleist 712mb, I could pull those and upgrade his current set as well. He hits my custom forged mb's with the accuflex assassin iron shafts and gets at least 20 more yards with mine, but they are "MINE" and he will get those over my dead body, LOL

Good luck to everyone applying! This will be a fun test to watch, I'll be curious to see if the testers will see better dispersion and more distance out of their irons. As someone who plays the Modus 105 shaft, I can say I'm loving how they feel and perform. 

As a current "otto-phlex" acolyte, I signed up for this test. If selected I reckon I would buy some Maltby DMB heads and build some dark bombers. 

This should be a good test.  Last Summer I built a set of Takomo 101 iron with Nippon N.S.PRO 8950GH shafts.  I went from graphite in my previous irons to Nippon steel.  I was concerned that the steel shafts might have a harsh feel and be too heavy, but I am totally satisfied with them.  Nippon golf shafts are a subsidiary of NHK, which makes steel auto engine valve springs.  Best of luck to all who apply.

I'd be very interested in trying these out in a set of TM 790s or maybe in combo set of T200 T100s.   Thanks for the opportunity to apply.  Good luck to the ones who are selected.  

Hello - Would love to try these always played the standard 850GH shafts.  Found the GH's the smoothest iron shaft ever produced.

Now playing PX Catalyst as I prefer light weight shafts.  Thanking you in advance.