Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

All About the Thumb

Ok, so this is a little picky, but I've been tinkering with my swing as usual, I came to notice my lack of hinge on the backswing. Well, I didn't just notice it, I've always had very little hinge.

I think it has to do with the left thumb position (I'm right handed). I have alway held the club with my left thumb "pad" firmly against the top of the grip. I've just been messing around with a club in the house, and it felt like I could hinge more freely if my entire left thumb was touching the grip, not just the pad (or tip of the thumb).

Anyone put any thought into thumb position?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I generally try to pay very little attention to it while I'm playing but will pay some attention to it while working on the range. I try to make sure that it running straight down the club but never notice how much of it is touching. I just want it to be comfortable and natural feeling. If my grip starts to get uncomfortable then I'm usually screwed.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby Jones had a huge wrist hinge, he advocated that neither thumb should be directly on top of the shaft.  Said it  put too much stress on your wrists and fingers and created "wooden" wrist.  May be worth a try.....cheers.

swingTI.com

TourImpactGolf.com

The more you extend your thumb onto the shaft, the shorter your backswing will be. I read this somewhere and tried it out....

Also, I place my thumb straight down the shaft for my woods, but rotate it about 15 degrees right for my irons.  By doing this, it places my thumb into the palm of my right hand and keeps my from pushing the irons.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I always liked this position myself,  however I tend to hit the ball too high at times.  I do think the short thumb slightly off the center of the club enables a handsy swing.  Lots of hinge and in my case sometimes adds loft when I release.  

lesson2.gif

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/lesson2.php

swingTI.com

TourImpactGolf.com

Archived