Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

When did the Clambake become a 2nd tier event?

markb

I must have missed its slow descent into irrelevancy over the years.   I remember back when it was THE big spring tourney.   Now it's a bit of a joke that most everyone who can do so, avoids.  Is it the weather?  Do guys not like the courses?   Do they hate the Pro-Am?  

The field is increadibly weak and the roster of celebrities is equally b-list.   Gary Friggin' Mule Deer?  Didn't he appear a couple of times on the Tonight Show before Carson retired?   Hasn't Carson been dead 20 years?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Don't forget to throw in some bad weather/delays.

There, I think we've covered all the bases.

These pro-am events are the worst. B-listers sure don't help the cause. Have you seen Chris Berman swing?

I wouldn't want that seeping into my psyche/game/conscious. Eesh!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

It's actually a 3rd tier event with only one tier worse - event that is on the opposite end of a World Golf/Major event.  Here's how it happened:

1.  It was not designated as a World Golf event - that automatically elevated certain tournaments around the world and caused players to adjust schedules.

2.  The tour added playoffs thereby putting a premium on those year end tournaments so players needed to rest more early in the season.

3.  More and more of the best players in the world are from elsewhere and so are playing elsewhere in more lucrative tournaments early in the season (even some of our native players do this for the appearance fees and World Ranking points.)  They don't come over until the Florida swing so that they might get ready for August.  More money, more points, less travel, less hassle and lots of them have Florida residences (see California = taxes.)

4.  The tour started its season in the Fall so now Golf is an 11 month sport.  Guys need a break if they are going to stay fresh, the best time to take it is this time of the year.)

That entire sequence has killed the West Coast tournaments and it's a shame.  The Clambake used to be the start of the golf season, then it was the tournament of champions but how?  When does the season start?  When does it end?  What's really sad is this takes place on one of the World's great golf courses.  You used to be able to attract better players with better courses, that's not the case anymore. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

....and pace of play.  I believe they were looking at 6+ hour rounds a few years ago. Nobody likes that.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The Rev makes a persuasive argument, but even in its grouping of diminished spring west coast events the Clambake has become probably the worst tournament, so maybe it's a fourth tier event.   Remember when the Hope and Crosby were big deals?   Clinton and Humana are trying to revive the Hope, but Phoenix is kicking all their butts and the ATT is sinking ever further into oblivion.  Look at our possible  "A-list" field for the fantasy league.  We've got 6 total names to choose from and Ryan Palmer and JB Holmes are the best guys!

As for the celebrities, they can't even draw the big celebrities who actually play golf!   No Timberlake, no Jordan, no Sam Jackson, etc. etc.    The Edgewood Tahoe event draws bigger names.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I think the Champions tour event at PB with The First Tee kids is much more compelling.

Both my kids coaches at the First Tee played in that when they were in the program.  It's a great event!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Both my kids coaches at the First Tee played in that when they were in the program.  It's a great event!

Fun to watch the seniors because they are much more relaxed than PGA.  Have seen them in person many times.  The First Tee kids playing at PB are much better players than the celebs at the AT&T.  It's a great experience they will enjoy forever.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It would be really interesting to see who would show up for this one if they got rid of the pro am. Great courses.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Did I hear that this was the last pro-am event for the PGA?  So, that would be no more at the Humana next year either.   Pro-ams are only on Wednesdays.  

Can anyone confirm?  Or am I imagining things?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Did I hear that this was the last pro-am event for the PGA?  So, that would be no more at the Humana next year either.   Pro-ams are only on Wednesdays.  

Can anyone confirm?  Or am I imagining things?

I hope not! The ratings have sucked for years. Surprised they lasted this long, but I suppose the contracts were all lined up for years. Good riddance if this is the case!

"Glute Activator"

It sure seems like  a lot of these early-in-the-year events (When does the season really start again?) are like Grapefruit League baseball - let's get ready for the real season.  

As far as the ATT goes, maybe it hasn't been a big deal since it stopped being the Crosby.  Anyone else old enough to remember when a lot of these tourney's were associated with Celebs? We had the Andy Williams in San Diego, the Hope and the Crosby, the Sammy Davis Junior Greater Hartford Open, the Jackie Gleason Inverrary (can't remember where that was), the Glen Campbell LA Open...am I missing any?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

All those old entertainers were truly that: entertainers. Most all of them were before my time, but the footage I have seen of many of them doing standup, singing, dancing acting.... the "celebs" now can't hold a candle to the rat pack or celebs of the past. They truly were entertainers.

"Glute Activator"

All those old entertainers were truly that: entertainers. Most all of them were before my time, but the footage I have seen of many of them doing standup, singing, dancing acting.... the "celebs" now can't hold a candle to the rat pack or celebs of the past. They truly were entertainers.

Bill Murray is about the only celebrity that really attempts to entertain anymore.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Bill Murray is about the only celebrity that really attempts to entertain anymore.

Yeah, I didn't really mean during the tournament, but in their professional role. The old school guys were true, well-rounded entertainers. They could sing, and dance, and act (to some extent for some) and do improv, comedy, etc. And they had their own social circles where they hung out with other entertainers and decided to put on a tournament. Its a non-profit corporate event now for these tournaments. Not quite the same spirit to say the least.

"Glute Activator"

Archived