Finding a New Putter

Street11

I haven't been in the putting market for about 4 years and a friend of mine bought my trusty Versa 2-ball so I am on the prowl. After trying out everything I could put my hands on, I actually fell in love with the Cleveland 2135 8.0. Does anyone have experience with this putter?

How have you gone about getting a new putter? I am going on feel more than anything. Lend me your putting wisdom.

IMG_4472.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Putters are very personal, if you tried a bunch out, and that's the one you liked the best....you should go with it........what's best for me, might not be best for you

You can refer to the recently released Most Wanted blade putters as well, Cleveland fared very well on it, although not that specific model

just my 0.02

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

The most important thing about getting a new putter, don't compromise what you want for what you can live with. Save money on the rest of your if you need to, but get the putter you that is perfect for you. Be it $20 or $250. You will not regret that decision, I garuntee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The single most important thing about a putter is that with any stroke length you can start the ball on its intended line. Lots of ways to accomplish this but you have to find the putter that enables you to accomplish that task.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I switched last year.  Decided to try a shorter putter this year (33") and it's made quite a difference.

Not sure how tall you are - that will probably have something to do with it - but the shorter one felt more comfortable to me.

Any thoughts on getting a putter fitting?

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I had one of these for a while.

It was very nice and put a nice smooth roll on the ball; I really liked it at first but then I just couldn't get it to work for me.  I think it wasn't quite right.

I did a review of it if you're interested...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16304-un-official-review-of-cleveland-tfi-2135-putter/?do=findComment&comment=214573

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

... Most know that you need to match your putter to your stroke. Straight back straight thru or a gate stroke. Face balance vs a toe hang, and how much toe hang depending on how much of an arc your stroke produces. Obviously that is very important. But what most people don't know is we all see the line from/thru our putter as a vertical or horizontal line. Meaning you either intrinsically see your line as an extension thru your putter or a line perpendicular to your putter. 

... In simple terms, do you see the line like a pool cue stroking on the thru line to your target or do you see your line like a hockey stick hitting the ball to your target? Important because the wrong line can confuse your brain, going against what it wants to do. I have never liked a sight line on my putter as I found it distracting and that is because I see the line perpendicular, so the face and topline of my putter are what my brain uses for alignment. Obviously the person that sees the line as a thru line will do better with sight line. You have OEM's that try and cheat with a T-Line both vertical and horizontal that can work for some if they can block out the line they don't use. 

... Once you figure out what type of putter you need and how you see the line, the rest of the process is just personal preference. How it looks, feels and rolls the ball for your stroke. I will add my personal philosohpy for putting involves soft arms that hang naturally. This usually means shorter than 35". I told my students to bend over comfortably from the waist and just let their arms hang naturally and that is their perfect length. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

My only advice would be to buy in bulk as one can never have too many putters.

WITB 2024

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway:  :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76 TX

Fairway:  :taylormade-small: Sim 19* RDX Smoke Red 75 TX

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Matrix Black Tie 85x

Irons:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Go get fitted!

Seriously treat yourself to a putter fitting and you will likely to have the thing for the next 10 years.  Best move that I ever made was to get fitted for putter.

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Really solid advice from all of the members posting on here.

Simpliest advice and this is IMHO-- Find a putter that fits your eye and feels good in your hands and go from there. It does not matter if it is the latest greatest thing or a $3 thrift store find or what brand it is. In my days of mini tours and general golf hustling I have ran across some great putters putting with everything from a custom mega bucks putter to a Putt Putt putter (knew Trent would like that but it is true). Mark McNulty on the senior tour comes to mind. He putts with one decrepid old Bulls Eye that I can remember he has putted with for at least 40 years. It looks like it has been used for a plow point over the years but he can putt.

I putted with the same old Ping Zing 2 myself for over 20 years. I sorta lost the magic with it in recent years but found another magic wand. It is an old Scotty Santa Fe that I found on the scrap pile at work (I drive a truck for a metal recycling co) Rusty as heck and the bottom pitted. I did clean it up some and weighted it up with lead tape on the sole and put on a new grip. No fancy Scotty grip but my standard Royal Crown cord that they do not make any more. Does the trick I named it Rusty. My buddy Bo -Bear calls it "that rusty SOB Scotty". It shocks the crap out of the prim and proper shinny Scotty guys. It may be ugly and rusty but it works. Here's Rusty

20160112_155541.jpg

20160112_184552.jpg

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

Simpliest advice and this is IMHO-- Find a putter that fits your eye and feels good in your hands and go from there. It does not matter if it is the latest greatest thing or a $3 thrift store find or what brand it is. In my days of mini tours and general golf hustling I have ran across some great putters putting with everything from a custom mega bucks putter to a Putt Putt putter (knew Trent would like that but it is true). Mark McNulty on the senior tour comes to mind. He putts with one decrepid old Bulls Eye that I can remember he has putted with for at least 40 years. It looks like it has been used for a plow point over the years but he can putt.

I putted with the same old Ping Zing 2 myself for over 20 years. I sorta lost the magic with it in recent years but found another magic wand. It is an old Scotty Santa Fe that I found on the scrap pile at work (I drive a truck for a metal recycling co) Rusty as heck and the bottom pitted. I did clean it up some and weighted it up with lead tape on the sole and put on a new grip. No fancy Scotty grip but my standard Royal Crown cord that they do not make any more. Does the trick I named it Rusty. My buddy Bo -Bear calls it "that rusty SOB Scotty". It shocks the crap out of the prim and proper shinny Scotty guys. It may be ugly and rusty but it works. Here's Rusty

attachicon.gif20160112_155541.jpg

attachicon.gif20160112_184552.jpg

That is crazy. That would drive me nuts to putt with that. I'm the guy who has to put the logo down on my grips cuz I can't focus enough!! I love my daddy long legs original though. Every time I think it's time to try something different it lets me know it's still loves me!!

attachicon.gif20160112_155541.jpg

attachicon.gif20160112_184552.jpg

Stu, if you ever give up on that Santa Fe, please give me dibs!

I had one of these for a while.

It was very nice and put a nice smooth roll on the ball; I really liked it at first but then I just couldn't get it to work for me. I think it wasn't quite right.

I did a review of it if you're interested...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16304-un-official-review-of-cleveland-tfi-2135-putter/?do=findComment&comment=214573

I really enjoyed the review. Well I'm 6'3 and anything under 35 inches feels like too much slumping for me. Why did you stop using the 2135? I loved the 8.0 and the counter balance feel. Literally trying to find a putter has been the worst experience. I just questioned myself all the time about what I want, but after spending 2 hours at the PGA superstore and talking to the guys there, I just ordered the 8.0 model with a 35 inch grip with the superstroke 2.0 XL grip. Hopefully all goes well.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I have a Ping Ketsch and an Odyssey o-works 2-ball. Before I had a Scotty Newport and thought that I loved a firm feel and toe hang. Come to find out I'm way better with the complete opposite putter. Like everyone else said, get what is the best for you and/or get fit. I hate the look of a mallet but it's way easier for me to square up the face at impact so I deal with it.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Stu, if you ever give up on that Santa Fe, please give me dibs!

Sorry but my buddy the Miura dealer has first dibs on it. He wanted it the day I found it. I have cleaned it up since those pics. The day I got it I took it to him to see if it was real. In fact I was putting with it on the putting green and the rust was flying. I actually played with it that day and used a cover to keep the rust out of the top of my new bag which was white. I did clean the bottom enough to run some lead tape on it. I did seriously check into having it restored. It was going to cost a lot since the sole is so pitted. we did do some tracking and found out it was one of the first in being a 1997 Model. I need to get my media working right again and post recent pics. It has just enough rust and patina now and I do treat it some with WD-40. With all the rust the face was not pitted one bit. I love that thing and it has sorta made an image for itself on this end of the beach in some money games. It seems to have a sole that is grateful that I found and saved it from the shredder. Here is a pic of the Newport Pro Platnum I found 2 days later with cover and all in a seperate lot in an old bag along with a Titleist driver and some Vokey wedges. It cleaned up nice in fact I traded it for the Adams 3 and 5 woods that are in my bag now. I had putted with Anser styles over the years but never could get that Newport to suit my eye and feel. I traded it for 2 clubs I use and hit well

20160109_192919.jpg

I think this is one of Rusty after I cleaned it up

20160115_171623.jpg

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

Putters are very personal, if you tried a bunch out, and that's the one you liked the best....you should go with it........what's best for me, might not be best for you

You can refer to the recently released Most Wanted blade putters as well, Cleveland fared very well on it, although not that specific model

just my 0.02

i second this. If you tried a bunch of putters and this one worked best, then go for it.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Two more cents....

I don't think it matters one bit what you putt with as long as you putt well with it. Pull one out of the junk bin or buy one for $500. Whatever works is the one for you. Go find it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived