Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Charity scrambles and scores

Eseay32

Yesterday, at a senior association outing, one of my partners from another club suggested that we just have a good time, because we ain't gonna win. He said I will bet $100 for $1, that a certain member of his club will be on the winning team. He said this guy always wins and is always the scorekeeper. Sure enough, that guy was on the winning team. Believe me, the prizes are nothing to write home about, at best it will be club house credits that may get you a couple of sleeves of balls or a new glove. I guess some people need to find a way to accommodate their lack of self esteem. Thing is, if you play often with the same people, everybody knows what you are doing.

Were his initials P.B.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My work has a lot of different associations that have scrambles during the year. There is no doubt cheating goes on but its mostly just for fun anyways. One year for longest drive they were giving away a TM R11s and I hit the best drive all day on that hole only to be beat out with someone a few groups behind me. Later that year at another tournament I had the longest drive with 3-4 groups behind us. The same guy was 2 groups behind us so we got to see where his ball went. He was about 5-10 yards short of the marker but low and behold when we got in he was awarded the long drive once again.

One year in an out of town scramble we played in for one of the associations we were one of the first groups in and a guy from a group who got in before us was standing at the door asking everyone what they shot. This same group were the last to turn in their scorecards, guess who won the tournament? lol

What's almost as bad as that guy lying and cheating is the other members of the group allowing him to do it.

What was in it for them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A couple years ago playing a scramble, I was a couple groups behind a buddy of mine who's a scratch. Come up to the long drive hole and he bombed his drive out 340 at least. When I stepped up I gave my driver everything I had. My ball didn't even roll 10' past his.

Come time for dinner and the MLD was awarded they call this other guys name. He's like 70, and the guy can barely walk. Almost doubled over. My buddy looked at me and we both laughed. All you can do

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A couple years ago playing a scramble, I was a couple groups behind a buddy of mine who's a scratch. Come up to the long drive hole and he bombed his drive out 340 at least. When I stepped up I gave my driver everything I had. My ball didn't even roll 10' past his.

Come time for dinner and the MLD was awarded they call this other guys name. He's like 70, and the guy can barely walk. Almost doubled over. My buddy looked at me and we both laughed. All you can do

Just wondering. In some scrambles they allow 60 and over to hit from the gold tees. We had one like thst today (actually 55). I was out driving the course ans noticed the marker just outside the 150 marker on a 525 yard par 5. Recognized the name as a regular scramble player at our course. He is old enogh to hit from the gold and. He normally averages close to 280 off the tee. The golds on this whole are 460.

I don't know who picked that hole to use but they shouldn't be a 65 yard head start.

If I was the guy who won, I would feel something like this.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/3/3/14801218/youth-basketball-coach-blocks-own-player-video

Charity scrambles and work scrambles are a lot of fun, usually for a good cause and get you out of work....but the scores are always suspect. Trash makes a difference-throws, red tees, string, etc.

But just how much cheating is happening to win 1st in these? I play in a few a year, my teams always play pretty straight up using the trash that we have bought. Played in one today that the course was decently long, open, But long, par 3s were everywhere from 150-190. Greens were tough! Speed was good but they had some movement.

Bunch of 57s and 58s (par 72) only trash was 4 mulligans and 4 red tees per team and we shot 63. We probably had a legit 60-61 in us and that's it.

Just how much cheating is really going on?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A s$&@"?!d!! There was always a "sandbagging 4some" in the charity/fundraiser scrambles.

We tracked many of them because they became obvious and then started to ban them. In the 1990's it was almost a part time job for some of these guys.

Shameful.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

First time I played in a charity event I learned the hard way on NOT telling your scores until the end.

We were at the bar and I was bragging on our score. (Plenty of beer in me too) we ended up losing by 1 stroke to the same jackass that I was crowing to.

Here I thought it was a gentlemans game

PING G425 SFT 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cobra Fly Z 3 Hybrid

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Wasn't a charity but I played a scramble last year, and this group of 4 bad golfers were -11 after 9...

We had a good group and we were -7 after 9. The course was tough and they finished up at like -18 or some crap. Way ahead of the rest of the teams.

There is no way they were good enough to post that score.

There was about $500 each at stake and a bunch of cool swag.

Didn't even stick around for the awards and dinner I was so mad.

Just wondering. In some scrambles they allow 60 and over to hit from the gold tees. We had one like thst today (actually 55). I was out driving the course ans noticed the marker just outside the 150 marker on a 525 yard par 5. Recognized the name as a regular scramble player at our course. He is old enogh to hit from the gold and. He normally averages close to 280 off the tee. The golds on this whole are 460.

I don't know who picked that hole to use but they shouldn't be a 65 yard head start.

If I was the guy who won, I would feel something like this.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/3/3/14801218/youth-basketball-coach-blocks-own-player-video

Wasnt a big difference between any of the tees really. Not a super long hole (maybe 450) but poker straight. We just found it funny the guy could barely stand up straight but crush the ball like he supposedly did

That's crazy on a bunch of levels.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

With all the comments and disappointment where cheating is suggested or even observed... why keep playing in them? I know... it's a charity. Of course you can always just make a donation and not play.

I really wish tournaments would stop with all the equipment give away and pro shop gift certificate payouts and just award a simple trophy or medal. Of course that alone probably wouldn't stop or deter dishonest people from entering.

Better yet, these tournaments should stop announcing what the prize is before hand. Then when a guy in the last group miraculously hits the longest drive or closet to the pin only to find out he has won a free sandwich at Arby's. I'd love to see the look on his face.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

With all the comments and disappointment where cheating is suggested or even observed... why keep playing in them? I know... it's a charity. Of course you can always just make a donation and not play.

I really wish tournaments would stop with all the equipment give away and pro shop gift certificate payouts and just award a simple trophy or medal. Of course that alone probably wouldn't stop or deter dishonest people from entering.

Better yet, these tournaments should stop announcing what the prize is before hand. Then when a guy in the last group miraculously hits the longest drive or closet to the pin only to find out he has won a free sandwich at Arby's. I'd love to see the look on his face.

Most of our outings don't announce what the prize is.    A good amount of them just offer trophies, and they are out on display during the dinner.    The pro shop gift cards that go to winners are rarely more than $50 each.   But then again, you'd be surprised what some would do for that $50...

I love the Arby's gift card thought..that would be funny.   

It's also kinda tough from my perspective, I don't want an outing to come off looking as a chinsey (if that is an actual word) or low rent, as some of the players may think that is a reflection on the course, versus what the actual outing planner has decided. 

Heck, I'd love it if they all decided to give a Scotty Cameron to the Long Drive winner, and a Epic Driver to the Closest to the Pin holes, and a $200 gift card to each winner, and give everyone a dozen pro v's and a Puma wind shirt in each gift bag....LOL

I doubt you would get enough teams without cash and prizes. It's a catch 22 with scrambles.

We lost to a team of teens that shot -21 while we posted a legitimate -16... on a tough layout. We always turn the money back in for the charity (veterans in this case) so, no big deal as the teens turned it in also. We just have fun, knowing how these things go.

Well.... Off to play in a work scramble in a couple hours.  Prizes are only trophy's but I'm sure there will be some mischievous acts going on  :D

Wish me luck!

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Red 6S

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 52 Black

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 58 Black

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

If you are playing in big money scrambles, I think that you should have yourself checked. If I pay big money to play for a big return there had better be some serious checking as Rev mentioned in the one he played in. I only play in the ones where I know the money is going to good causes, and very little to the winners.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was asked to play in a scramble the 1st of June and it's for a good cause.  Entry fee only  $50.00 and it's at a course I have not played yet.   Should be a fun day and it's with good folks so I'm a winner.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

If you are playing in big money scrambles, I think that you should have yourself checked. If I pay big money to play for a big return there had better be some serious checking as Rev mentioned in the one he played in. I only play in the ones where I know the money is going to good causes, and very little to the winners.

I agree 100% My home course holds a big money (and prizes) scramble every year. It's a three man team event. They avoid the cheating by playing two three man teams as a group of six on every hole. Each group polices the other. It has worked out well, so far.

Archived