Am I nuts for loving an 8802?

morningteesheet

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... There are more than a few variables like how close you stand to the ball, how much you bend from the waist and the length of  your putter  that determine how much arc a natural stroke will have for each golfer. As cnosil said everyone has some arc, even SBST putters unless they really manipulate the path with contortions that should only be attempted by member of Cirque du Soleil.  

Yup.  Theres really no such thing as a true SBST because you cant swing around a fixed point without making some serious manipulations.  Unless you are going to be all hunched over, like Michelle Wie did when she was tabletop putting; its almost impossible to not have some degree of arc.

I think thats why I prefer heel shafted putters.  I feel like the toe hang allows the face to open and close throughout the stroke.  I guess that means that I have a gated stroke.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Cobra King 3H

Irons: Titleist King Cobra Pro CB 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour 845 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Tommy Armour Impact 2

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I was killing time at the PGA Superstore one day and picked up a 8802, I used to put with one forty years ago.  The new one is nice and I sank about five straight 10 footers with it but didn't buy it since I really wasn't in the market at the time and I have a Arnold Palmer "The Original" from about forty years ago that is the Palmer version of the 8802.  I am going to give the Palmer a try but I may pick up a 8802, especially as inexpensive as they are.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5 with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Ping G425 3-wood (14.5 degree)

Ping G425 Hybrid (19 degree)

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged W/Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 (2020)

Pro V1x 

42 minutes ago, aggiesam1983 said:

I am going to give the Palmer a try but I may pick up a 8802, especially as inexpensive as they are.  

Wide variety of price ranges;  you can find some that are pretty expensive.  Cameron Napa quickly comes to mind. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Wide variety of price ranges;  you can find some that are pretty expensive.  Cameron Napa quickly comes to mind. 

Yeah that isn't going to happen, that is way too much for me to spend on a gamer.  If I were a collector that would be one thing but I am not.

Ping G425 Max 10.5 with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Ping G425 3-wood (14.5 degree)

Ping G425 Hybrid (19 degree)

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged W/Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 (2020)

Pro V1x 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

... When I picked up my Bettinardi BB2 in a trade it was selling for $800. I never understood why a milled piece of metal would cost that much. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... When I picked up my Bettinardi BB2 in a trade it was selling for $800. I never understood why a milled piece of metal would cost that much. 

As you know, cost is determined by what they market will demand.  I can say something is worth $800 but if I can't find anyone to pay that much it obviously isn't worth that much.  There are lots of things in this world that I don't understand the sales price.  An example of something we both like;  the Grace 6330.  To me it isn't worth anywhere near what Bobby Grace charges and while I love mine,  I purchased for significantly less.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... I understand supply and demand, especially for a high end item. I was more referring to putters with intricate slots, cavities, etc compared to a solid milled head like an 8802 that takes minimal work. At least the 6330 has cavities in the sole for the weights and the face has to be milled out for the insert, but yea the price is silly high. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

On 4/2/2020 at 11:21 AM, chisag said:

... There are more than a few variables like how close you stand to the ball, how much you bend from the waist and the length of  your putter  that determine how much arc a natural stroke will have for each golfer. As cnosil said everyone has some arc, even SBST putters unless they really manipulate the path with contortions that should only be attempted by member of Cirque du Soleil.  

On 4/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, cnosil said:

No. Slight arc vs strong arc is more about the curve of the path the putter travels. SBST in theory has no arc, slight would be more of an ellipse, and strong more of a circle.
Gate/rotation is more about how much the Putter opens and closes as it travels along that path.

Thanks guys! 

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic design that has completed the job for years and will forever.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila DVS

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Studio Design 2.5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I'm another that keeps going back to this style putter, or the Geo Low Wizard style.  Have several different models, from different manufacturers, and different eras.  

One thing worth noting....  there are some models that have an MOI equivalent or possibly even higher than you might find in an Anser-a-like.  The Snake Eyes Viper Tour blade has an MOI higher than a Ping Anser, for example.  I expect that's largely due to the slightly larger size (it's not that much bigger than my 8813), but more the heavier weight.  I can't remember the exact number, but I do know it was considerably higher.

It won't compete with some of the heavy backweighted mallets out there now, but it will with anything in the heel/toe weighted, Anser-ish world.

I expect the modern 8802 probably has a higher MOI than we suspect, just due to the added weight.  My Yes! Nicky (moderately heavy) is surprisingly forgiving on the brutally bad strokes I occasionally inflict on it.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Deion Sanders said, "if you look good, you feel good.  If you feel good, you play good."  I know he's not a golfer (to my knowledge), but it makes sense to me.  So many people want to analyze the stroke path/type and match that to a style of putter and neck.  In theory that makes sense.  Maybe even statistically.  However, I tend to putt better with a putter that looks good to me.  I've been through far too many in 20+ years of a love/hate relationship with golf.  I've had Pings, Scottys, Oddysseys, Bettinardis, and some that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  I putt better when I'm confident in what I'm swinging.  Others may feel different.  If it doesn't look good, it's not for you.  Then again, I'm the guy that wouldn't consider the new Callaway woods because of the green accents (my least favorite color if it isn't money).

Currently in my Sun Mountain Phantom

Driver:  Callaway Rogue

4W:  Callaway Rogue

7W:  Callaway Rogue

4-GW:  PXG 0211

SW/LW:  Taylor Made Milled Grind

Putter:  PXG Mustang Gen 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, braincramp said:

Love it! I'm still going to own a Yonex like Phil played when he first came out.

That is a Yonex ADX---- I had one with the composite graphite shaft------  One of the young assistants at our course loved it and I helped him pass his PAT test. He used it and passed with flying colors. I gave him that putter since I have so many putters. Out of all the putters I own I do not own a real 8802 I own a Cleveland Designed By and a Little David 8802. Most of my putters in that style are Mac Iron Masters. 

• Like 3

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

If it works it works!  I think putters are the most personal club in the bag.  If you're hitting it on your line it seems like you might just be giving up a little bit of distance control on mishits.  Have you checked to see how consistent you are striking it?

I'd imagine there's some advantage to this old school style for quick downhill putts as you can purposely hit it off the toe to get less energy transferred to the ball and make a more comfortable stroke.

Also, you're opponents will moral will decrease 37 points every time you sink a putt greater than 5 feet with it.

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

5 hours ago, B.Boston said:

If it works it works!  I think putters are the most personal club in the bag.  If you're hitting it on your line it seems like you might just be giving up a little bit of distance control on mishits.  Have you checked to see how consistent you are striking it?

I'd imagine there's some advantage to this old school style for quick downhill putts as you can purposely hit it off the toe to get less energy transferred to the ball and make a more comfortable stroke.

Also, you're opponents will moral will decrease 37 points every time you sink a putt greater than 5 feet with it.

Yep you got it there old buddy toe putting a little slick slider or a big one down hill. I can do it with my Santa Fe too--- Really want to get them howling? Do a little 5 footer or so down hill by belly topping a wedge. Had a guy try to call me on that one in a Mini Tour event one time--- Nothing in the rules of golf says you absolutely have to use a club designated ( by USGA specs on design) a putter on the putting green

• Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete

I just picked one up similar. It definitely requires a good stroke. I will use it to practice delivery to make my game better. 

This 8802 style by Flanagan has been a good stick for me.3EF5AE96-9688-4F56-BFFC-6FBEE943F587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

RickP, that's a nice Flanigan you got there. I too have a slight obsession with the 8802 cut throats since there's day when there's truly magic in the metal. The heaviest one I have is an Odyssey Black Series 8 @ ~340g, then a second hand Designed By Cleveland model that I got for $20 and lastly, a Walter Hagen Gentle Ben...I don't know what the specs are on the last two but they feel considerably lighter and provide great touch and distance control. There's just something so primal and fundamental about the design that forces you focus that much harder on making a pure, confident stroke. There's no alignment aides other than the top leading edge and no high tech to help out, so if you "do" start rolling them in ...you're the reason, not the putter. As pure as it gets, which does worlds for your confidence. On the days you're off a lot or just a little...you're left bleeding and questioning if you should have brought the easier to use/align/high-moi/high-tech putter you left at home. Still comes down to your stroke and trusting it. Good stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little late to the topic, but gotta say there is nothing like the 8802 style putter.  So simple and basic, it is genius.  I have 3.  The Ray Cook Classic Plus II, Wilson Tour Special I, and "The Original" Arnold Palmer. The key for me is to just grip it light, start it smooth, and let it move on its own path.  

• Like 2

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

I have always loved this style of putter.  I just put back in my bag an old Scotty Del Mar.  I want to see if I can find that head shape in a Bettinardi if possible that will not cost me an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"