Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What was your greatest terrible shot?

mudfish

My average drive is about 220-240 when I hit it straight, and in a Tourney last year I hit one 320 (I know... but there were 3 witnesses)... then shanked my 2nd into a creek... dropped... 4th was just short of the fringe, chipped 5 over the green, and then 3 putted...

ended up with a quadruple bogey on the best drive I've ever had...

Another good one was the closest I ever had to a hole in one... Hit the pin from 179 yards, and 3 putted...

Damn... I'm starting to see a pattern here...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I've had a lot of these but I had one yesterday so, here it goes--> About a 260 yard par 4, first hole, first time playing a round in 2010. The ground was frozen so I couldn't get my tee in, so I had to try to pick the ball when it was teed up way to high. I ended up hitting a weak 100 yard pop up way to the right in the next fairway because I hit it off the crown. My next shot was about 160 from the adjacent fairway, and I stuck it to 2 feet to birdie my first hole of the year. It was a great feeling, and I finished the day with a total of 3 birdies.

I've had a lot of these but I had one yesterday so, here it goes--> About a 260 yard par 4, first hole, first time playing a round in 2010. The ground was frozen so I couldn't get my tee in, so I had to try to pick the ball when it was teed up way to high. I ended up hitting a weak 100 yard pop up way to the right in the next fairway because I hit it off the crown. My next shot was about 160 from the adjacent fairway, and I stuck it to 2 feet to birdie my first hole of the year. It was a great feeling, and I finished the day with a total of 3 birdies.

Damn... nice way to start the season...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

My best shot today was a 4H approach from under a tree. Long hole with 2 water crossings. Driver, OK 240ish with a very late fade into the front row of trees. Good line from the trees to lay up spot to cross 2nd water. Put ball back a bit in stance to keep it low out of the trees. Top of backswing, hit branch, continue with the swing and just smash it. I never saw it fly, but my buddy said it was the best ball he saw out of me all day. Terrible because now I know that I need a tree branch in my backswing to hit it well. Silly game

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I can't think of one for myself, but I will tell you about my wife's, because it's crazy and I like to tell everyone about it to illustrate how annoying she is to play golf with.

Par 5, elevated green with a creek that's below the green and about 10 yards short of the fringe. My wife is roughly 5 yards behind the creek. She hits the top 3-4 dimples of the ball, an absolute worm burner, and the ball goes screaming towards the water. BUT, instead of a splash, the ball hits a rock, jumps about 50 feet into the air, lands on the fringe, and rolls to within 5 feet of the cup. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I really wish I had video of that because people think I'm exaggerating, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that every detail of that story is true.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Par 3, bladed my 9 iron, well past the green, hit a tree trunk square on, and rolled back on the green to 5 feet. Made the put, much to the dismay of my 3 buddies, who then owed me a dinner at El Burro Loco in Myrtle Beach on our golf trip!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Not mine....but one I witnessed:

I was living in NC, and was playing a not so great public course that ended with two par-3's. That, of course, led to a bit of a back-up at the finish most of the time. The 18th was a shortish par-3 that was very slightly uphill to a green that sat at the bottom of a bowl -- think stadium golf, exaggerated. You had to walk off the 18th, exit left, and walk up a hill to the clubhouse.

Anyways, as we waited for our turn the next group rolls up just as we're hitting. We all hit and finish the hole, and we begin up the hill. As we do, we hear the first guy of the next group tee off...and his buddies immediately begin busting out laughing and mocking him for his shot. We turn around to see his ball barely 3 ft off the ground and flying over the cartpath that runs along the left of the hole. This shot was not hit hard, and was just a kinda knee high left shank. It get's about half-way up the cartpath and lands on the cartpath....it bounces...bounces...bounces....kicks right onto the fairway just short of the green...runs up the slope in front of the green....rolls across the green....and, yes.....rolls into the hole. Hole in one!

Needless to say.....their laughing stopped, LOL. It turned into cheers.

That was one of the worst golf shots I've ever seen, LOL. Of course....he did make it, LOL. That ball never got higher than your knees, but just seemed to keep bouncing and dribbling....then boom, in the hole.

I have a tie that both happened the same day last year. I don't remember the hole numbers, but it was at Castle Hills in Lewisville, TX.

On the tee of one hole my driver hit the ground about 5 inches behind the ball and it someone produced a 245 yard drive with a slight cut to the middle of the fairway. The drive was longer than my average drive with that club.

The other shot was later in the round on a downhill par 4...probably about 360 yards. My drive we hooked into a housing development and my next shot was topped to the next tee. Mad at myself I grabbed my 3 wood and made the most "I don't care" swing ever. I hit it perfectly and found it 297 yards later to the left of the green.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

Playing Kapalua Village course about 5 years ago, don't remember the hole. I have about 165 left, downhill downwind, and I thin the biggest 7 iron of my life. The thing is gone 80 yards over the green, I hear it hit the Single palm tree back there, an it ends up 15 feet for bird. I 3 tap it of course, but nontheless, an amazing result.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Another time I was playing in a tournament and I bladed a PW from 120 yards. It was on a straight line for the green, but it was way low. I was just thinking "hit a house" or something like that, I though it would go way over the green, into the woods It ended up hitting the gree and just sticking, it literally plugged on the green in it's own pitch mark, and I made a birdie.

Another good one I has 150 out on an easy hole and shanked one into the woods. I was between so tree and had to hit it over one brach, under another. I hit it dead on and it went in from about 50 yards away.

My only eagle ever is a decent story too. I hit a low hooking driver that somehow caught the fariway on a par 5. I hit my 3W over the green, and then hit a crappy chip that somehow hit the in and went in. 3 bad shots and I made my only eagle ever. Go figure.

I can't think of one for myself, but I will tell you about my wife's, because it's crazy and I like to tell everyone about it to illustrate how annoying she is to play golf with.

Par 5, elevated green with a creek that's below the green and about 10 yards short of the fringe. My wife is roughly 5 yards behind the creek. She hits the top 3-4 dimples of the ball, an absolute worm burner, and the ball goes screaming towards the water. BUT, instead of a splash, the ball hits a rock, jumps about 50 feet into the air, lands on the fringe, and rolls to within 5 feet of the cup. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I really wish I had video of that because people think I'm exaggerating, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that every detail of that story is true.

I hit one that looked like it was going into the pond... skipped 3 times across the pond and ended up on the green... I ended up being the only one in my group to par the hole...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I was playing a par 4 where the drive is up hill, and assuming you've done it right, the approach shot goes back down the hill to a level roughly the same as where the hole begins. Out of bounds runs down the entire right hand side of the hole. A thin line of woods separates the houses line the first half of the hole. The second half of the hole is more open, but a large chain link fence separates the golf course from an athletic field.

As I so often do I pushed my drive (I'm probably understating the right to left movement) to the right, and into the rough, under a tree, but thankfully still within the confines of the golf course. I tried to punch a 5 iron over the hill (the goal to get within 50 yards or so of the green), instead I flubbed it and was lucky to find myself on the right edge of the fairway at the crest of the hill, sitting about 160 out.

Not wanting to risk being long (and winding up in the parking lot - or worse, someones back seat), I pulled my 8 iron figuring the change in elevation would give me all the distance I need. As I so often do when I'm right at the edge of my range with a particular club, I took a mighty (and unnecessarily aggressive whack at the ball). As soon as I (mis)hit it, I knew the ball was going to be well right, and that some soccer player would probably find it on mind. I didn't even bother to watch the ball as it sliced beyond the trees and out of sight.

No sooner had I dropped my head did I hear a mighty clang. My ball had struck one of the light beams on the field. I began looking around frantically hoping that golf Jesus would give me a gift (I would have been satisfied to keep the ball in play). I got sight of my ball just as it landed on the green. It rolled to about 2 feet of the cup. I tapped in for par.

Ridiculous game this is...the worst of shots can turn out the be brilliant, and the best of shots can take an ill bounce and cost you big time.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Ridiculous game this is...the worst of shots can turn out the be brilliant, and the best of shots can take an ill bounce and cost you big time.

Which is why I no longer have a single hair left in my head....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Oh how I wish this wasn't true... the game would be so much easier if the ball just went where I told it...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Anybody do this ... blade a chip, have it hit the port-o-potty, then rebound back onto the green?

Well, it almost happened to me this past Sat., and unfortunately the rebound stopped short of the green by a couple of feet.

Anybody do this ... blade a chip, have it hit the port-o-potty, then rebound back onto the green?

Well, it almost happened to me this past Sat., and unfortunately the rebound stopped short of the green by a couple of feet.

You should have lied and said it made the green, it would have been a much more epic story.

• SPY VIP

Playing with 68 year old mom at a small course that is mainly par 3's. 120 yard par 3. I hit wedge, miss about 20 ft to right.

Mom, 5W, tops it hard left, cart path, curb back in play, rolls to 3ft. bird

me, chip, putt for a par.

Mom talked trash for the last 4 holes. Still describes it as her greatest shot ever. She usually shoots her age on 9 hole tracks.

Volvo Intorqueo

Playing with 68 year old mom at a small course that is mainly par 3's. 120 yard par 3. I hit wedge, miss about 20 ft to right.

Mom talked trash for the last 4 holes. Still describes it as her greatest shot ever. She usually shoots her age on 9 hole tracks.

My mom plays like that too. The only golf she plays is on a 9 hole par 3 course with a bunch of women from church. Her favorite (only) shot to talk about it one where she hit a goose.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I took my wife out golfing 2 years ago after not being on a course for quite some time... 1st hole is a par 3, and she hits a perfect shot to about 4 feet and taps in for birdie... at that point I had never hit a birdie before and she still rubs it in that she had a bird before me...

but to make me feel better, that was the only good shot she had all day and ended up quitting out of frustration after 6 holes...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Used to go with my Grandfather, he was just so funny, it was hard to play serious with him cutting up all the time!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

My mom plays like that too. The only golf she plays is on a 9 hole par 3 course with a bunch of women from church. Her favorite (only) shot to talk about it one where she hit a goose.

One of my advisors in grad school had a toy rabbit with a ball glued to its head in his office. Turns out he worm burned a rabbit-killing drive a few years back and the bunny was a gift from his friends. Ah friendship.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived