Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge Ideal

I am in the market for a set of new wedges and was wondering what ever ones thought of having only 3 wedges total including my pitching wedge. My pitching wedge is 46 degrees, gap wedge is 50, sand wedge is 56 and lob is 60. I rarely use my gap wedge at all. I'm old school in the fact that I will hit 3/4 & 1/2 shots with my pw, 9 iron and other clubs depending on the situation. I really don't hit to many full shots with the 56 and use the 60 around 20-30 yards in. I was wondering if it would be better to have my pw, 52/54 wedge and a 60 versus a 4 wedge set with the gap wedge. The rest of my bag consist of 9.5 degree driver, 15 degree 3 wood, 18 degree 5 wood, 4-9 iron of traditional lofts, 7 iron is 34. I don't really have any place close by to do wedge fitting or gaping.

Thanks

What is more of an issue, having the gaps at the bottom or top of your bag? If you’re fine with the 3/4 pitching wedge, is there a gap between 5 wood and 4 iron you’re concerned with?

If you wanted to drop down to two wedges outside pitching I’d recommend a 52/58 setup. Then you’d be running a consistent 6* between all of your wedges. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Your wedge makeup should suit your game, and it sounds like you already do nicely with 3 wedges.  Most players that have 4 wedges, do so because they use each one for specific distance on full shots.  If you don't play many full shot wedges, then 3 wedges should work fine.  Over the years I've played 5 wedges, then 3 wedges until a few months ago when I added a gap wedge.  I rarely play full shots with my SW and LW.

If you are planning to drop a wedge, what are you thinking of replacing it with? Hybrid?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If you never use your gap wedge, it may not make sense to carry it.  My question would be though, what would you replace it with?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I am the complete opposite, my 50* wedge is my go to club for chipping and I use it allot. I only carry 3 wedges 45, 50, 54. If I want to play a flop shot I simply open up the 50*.

My question is how often do you use your 60* and how consistently do you hit it.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

If you prefer to play 1/2 or 3/4 shots with your 9 or PW rather than full wedges then I would agree you don't need to carry 4. Most people want to avoid hitting partial shots whenever they can which is why they have all the wedges to fill the gaps. 

Personally, I am in the full shot camp and take all my partial shots with my 54 and use my PW, GW & LW almost exclusively only when I can take full or nearly full shots.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Firebird said:

I am the complete opposite, my 50* wedge is my go to club for chipping and I use it allot. I only carry 3 wedges 45, 50, 54. If I want to play a flop shot I simply open up the 50*.

My question is how often do you use your 60* and how consistently do you hit it.

I use my 60 almost always from 50 yards in with the rare occasion that I use sometime else. I have complete confidence in it. My 60 is my 2nd favorite club behind my 4 iron. Thanks

Edited by lhgolfr73
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, lhgolfr73 said:

I am in the market for a set of new wedges and was wondering what ever ones thought of having only 3 wedges total including my pitching wedge. My pitching wedge is 46 degrees, gap wedge is 50, sand wedge is 56 and lob is 60. I rarely use my gap wedge at all. I'm old school in the fact that I will hit 3/4 & 1/2 shots with my pw, 9 iron and other clubs depending on the situation. I really don't hit to many full shots with the 56 and use the 60 around 20-30 yards in. I was wondering if it would be better to have my pw, 52/54 wedge and a 60 versus a 4 wedge set with the gap wedge. The rest of my bag consist of 9.5 degree driver, 15 degree 3 wood, 18 degree 5 wood, 4-9 iron of traditional lofts, 7 iron is 34. I don't really have any place close by to do wedge fitting or gaping.

Thanks

I commend you on your thought process. 

Since you asked, if the goal is to remove the Gap wedge, 54 & 60 would be great.

54 is easy to find in a high bounce as it is in the sand wedge loft range. 

52 is in the Gap wedge loft range which seems to lean more on low bounce. 

60 degree with a c grind usually has a low bounce. 

I like to have a high and low bounce option to let the lie determine the club. 

I have the Maltby Mseries+ 54 and MG Tour 60 to give me very different options.

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317/

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg