Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hi AllI,

I wanted to start a topic of iron game.
I have specific taylormade irons and lately I have noticed that 5and 7 go the same distance for me.

The distance is around125 meters far and then  ball is hitting the ground maybe rolls up for some more distance.

I have 5longer when looking at the shaft length and shorter 7 iron.Which is how it suppose to be??

have you ever came across the  iron different numbers going the same distance for you on the field in your game  ? 

i appreciate any comments to be honest as this is a quiz I am practicing for good month now 🙂 

patti 

One of two problems. Either the lofts on your clubs are off and too close to each other or you don’t have good enough swing speed and contact on the face to get the 5i into the right launch angle and spin so it’s not going to go that much farther than the 7i. This is my guts based on the 7i distance 

Whats the distance on your 6i compared to those two clubs. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

At 125 meters/136 yards for a 7i it’s likely club head speed. Maybe try a hybrid around 24-25* to see if it performs better for you. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

11 hours ago, Iron game said:

Hi AllI,

I wanted to start a topic of iron game.
I have specific taylormade irons and lately I have noticed that 5and 7 go the same distance for me.

The distance is around125 meters far and then  ball is hitting the ground maybe rolls up for some more distance.

I have 5longer when looking at the shaft length and shorter 7 iron.Which is how it suppose to be??

have you ever came across the  iron different numbers going the same distance for you on the field in your game  ? 

i appreciate any comments to be honest as this is a quiz I am practicing for good month now 🙂 

patti 

Hi Patti... welcome to the forum!!

Yes, each iron should be about 12-13mm shorter going from the longest iron to the shortest iron; wedges could all be the same length.

As the irons get longer and less loft, it takes more club head speed to get the ball higher in the air and more carry distance.  If the clubs are not built to fit your swing, it can be worse.  My wife has been playing her TaylorMade Burner XD irons for about 15 years.  They are men's senior flex graphite, and she has lost quite a bit of speed over the last 10 years.  She loves them and doesn't really want to get a Ladies flex set, although she could probably gain distance with them.  The 5i was the first to go, then the 6i went this last year; both replaced with TaylorMade hybrids.  They a longer and launch higher than the equivalent irons she replaced.

You need to see if your irons are a proper fit for you, then replace the longer irons that are marginally longer than the next shorter iron with something that's easier to launch.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”