Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Youth Club Recommendations

Hello All,

Thought I'd take to the forum for some opinions/advice on best choices for youth clubs. My soon to be 6 year old was gifted a used set of clubs from our neighbor last year, but he's had quite a burst of growth this year and I think they will be too short for him for the coming season. I am wondering if anyone could provide me some insight on what clubs you bought your kiddos when they were young and just getting started out. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I also want to make sure I am getting him some quality clubs that will be able to withstand the pounding they will inevitably take with a young golfer. I've looked at a few sets from US Kids Golf, Tour Edge and Top Flite, but also have seen some Cobra junior sets on eBay that look pretty nice. There's really not much for reviews out there on youth clubs, so any thoughts, opinions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I've bought my son 3 successive sets of US Kids clubs and I'm very pleased with them.  For one, you can choose between 5-6 club "intermediate" sets versus closer to a full set of clubs with a higher price point,  And, they have a "buy five clubs" get a sixth free deal that those half sets actually qualify for.  (You have to send in proof of purchase and you end up receiving a gift card that expires, actually.)

As to US Kids versus some of the other brands, I don't have any experience with those, but I can say the US Kids stuff is very high quality and appropriate in weight.  And, of course, they have the height scale to help guide you towards the set that is appropriate.  I'm not sure that I believe that the other OEMs are spending much time trying to dial in appropriate specs for juniors, whereas US Kids only makes junior sets.  Giving your kid a set that is too heavy can be very detrimental, so this was a really important factor for me.

My two cents; hope that helps some.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

15 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I've bought my son 3 successive sets of US Kids clubs and I'm very pleased with them.  For one, you can choose between 5-6 club "intermediate" sets versus closer to a full set of clubs with a higher price point,  And, they have a "buy five clubs" get a sixth free deal that those half sets actually qualify for.  (You have to send in proof of purchase and you end up receiving a gift card that expires, actually.)

As to US Kids versus some of the other brands, I don't have any experience with those, but I can say the US Kids stuff is very high quality and appropriate in weight.  And, of course, they have the height scale to help guide you towards the set that is appropriate.  I'm not sure that I believe that the other OEMs are spending much time trying to dial in appropriate specs for juniors, whereas US Kids only makes junior sets.  Giving your kid a set that is too heavy can be very detrimental, so this was a really important factor for me.

My two cents; hope that helps some.

Thanks for the feedback!

#LeftyGang

My son started with Top Flites, moved to Cobra Jr, and is now using Cleveland irons as a 17yo. 

My recommendation is to check Facebook Marketplace and see what's available, you may find some great deals. If I was doing it all over again and buying new, I'd most likely go with US Kids. But I'd still try the used route first.

When my son was playing PGA Jr, the pro always wanted the kids in junior sets. He said the absolute worst thing was kids showing up with cut down adult sets, which performed terribly and kids hated using. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

https://mygolfspy.com/junior-golf-clubs-a-parents-guide-to-youth-golf-equipment/

This could be worth checking out. I also know Ping had a set and I don't quite remember all of it. However I believe it was a fair bit more, but they offered as part of it to adjust length and all that as part of the deal. 

https://mygolfspy.com/kids-golf-clubs/

Here is that Ping Program - https://ping.com/en-us/promo-landing-pages/prodi-g#get-golf-growing

“Get Golf Growing”

We know some parents are hesitant to invest in premium clubs, knowing their kids may soon grow out of them. Our “Get Golf Growing” program offers a one-time, no-cost adjustment to clubs, an affordable way to get juniors into high-performance, custom-fit clubs while bringing more boys and girls to the sport.

To be eligible, consumer must purchase a minimum of five Prodi G junior clubs (any combination) in one transaction. Purchases of fewer than five clubs are not eligible. Purchase will be verified via the set’s serial number to confirm eligibility.

Consumer is entitled to a one-time, no-charge service to have the clubs re-shafted or lengthened, re-weighted, and re-gripped to optimize performance as the golfer grows. (Cost of re-finishing not included.) Clubs do not need to be altered at the same time. There is no expiration date for the one-time opportunity.

Consumer is responsible for shipping costs to PING. PING covers shipping and handling costs back to the consumer upon completion of the alterations.

Turnaround time is estimated at one week upon receipt of clubs at PING’s facility.

*Program applies only to PING Prodi G junior clubs. No other PING junior clubs are eligible.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Have done too flites for my sons first two sets. Good quality for what they are (bags are eh and both have ripped pretty easily but they get the job done) and doesn’t break the bank.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow missed your posts, @GolfSpy_APH & @Lacassem, thank you for the feedback! I did look into the Ping set and that is one I may consider once he gets closer to teen years if they are still doing it. I got to see them over the weekend and they look REALLY nice for junior clubs. We ended up narrowing it down to a Top Flite set from Dick's and a Tour Edge HL-J set from the pro shop at our country club. I ended up going with my gut and trusting our head pro on the Tour Edge set. Provided he doesn't have any massive growth spurts, this set should last him 3 full seasons. I am not sure who is more excited for them to come in, him or me! 😂

#LeftyGang

15 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I somehow missed your posts, @GolfSpy_APH & @Lacassem, thank you for the feedback! I did look into the Ping set and that is one I may consider once he gets closer to teen years if they are still doing it. I got to see them over the weekend and they look REALLY nice for junior clubs. We ended up narrowing it down to a Top Flite set from Dick's and a Tour Edge HL-J set from the pro shop at our country club. I ended up going with my gut and trusting our head pro on the Tour Edge set. Provided he doesn't have any massive growth spurts, this set should last him 3 full seasons. I am not sure who is more excited for them to come in, him or me! 😂

Good choice with the local purchase from the pro!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Good choice with the local purchase from the pro!

He does a great job with the First Tee program there and is part of the reason my son became obsessed with golf last summer, so it definitely felt like the right thing to do. He carries PING irons in the pro shop as well, so I think he could probably get the Prodi G set once that comes up in a few years if we decide that is the best route to go for him with clubs. If he stays in love with the game and progresses well, it seems like a logical choice given that they will re-shaft them once for no charge. Thankfully that decision is a ways down the road. Now we just need to get out of winter so we can get on the range and course!

#LeftyGang

My older son (10 years old) is a very avid golfer and is using US Kids TS line of clubs, which he has liked a lot.

Before that, however, I built him multiple sets of the junior clubs from Diamond Tour Golf: https://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/junior-components.html

DTG is a wing of the same company that makes Sub70 clubs. I remain a huge fan of their junior clubs. Kids grow so fast, so if you're handy at all with club building (and it's not hard), being able to rebuild a set for your kid each year without breaking the bank is a giant plus.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My older son (10 years old) is a very avid golfer and is using US Kids TS line of clubs, which he has liked a lot.

Before that, however, I built him multiple sets of the junior clubs from Diamond Tour Golf: https://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/junior-components.html

DTG is a wing of the same company that makes Sub70 clubs. I remain a huge fan of their junior clubs. Kids grow so fast, so if you're handy at all with club building (and it's not hard), being able to rebuild a set for your kid each year without breaking the bank is a giant plus.

I have not ventured into the foray of club building, but I will admit that it is something that is very intriguing to me. I tinker in this way with archery where I buy all my own arrow supplies and then put arrows together with the components to get certain weight, etc., that I want. I'm sure my wife would LOVE me picking up yet another addition to one of my hobbies! 😂

#LeftyGang

12 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I have not ventured into the foray of club building, but I will admit that it is something that is very intriguing to me. I tinker in this way with archery where I buy all my own arrow supplies and then put arrows together with the components to get certain weight, etc., that I want. I'm sure my wife would LOVE me picking up yet another addition to one of my hobbies! 😂

I should note: you can, of course, also buy them fully assembled. But if you can use a hack saw and mix epoxy, building a club isn't very hard (and it sounds like you've already got some relevant experience). Just let your wife know how much you're saving by taking the DIY route 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

I should note: you can, of course, also buy them fully assembled. But if you can use a hack saw and mix epoxy, building a club isn't very hard (and it sounds like you've already got some relevant experience). Just let your wife know how much you're saving by taking the DIY route 🙂

I was just looking at the link and I'm amazed at the prices! Sadly, I only saw right handed options and my little man is a lefty like his dad haha. The struggle is real!

#LeftyGang

We went with the Wilson youth set for our 9 year old lefty. Quality seems really good and there's maybe an extra club compared to others I was looking at. Also, when you look at their youth sets online, you can find a picture or chart for the sizing and how to measure your kid for the right size, which made me feel more comfortable in ordering the correct size.

4 minutes ago, nddan21 said:

We went with the Wilson youth set for our 9 year old lefty. Quality seems really good and there's maybe an extra club compared to others I was looking at. Also, when you look at their youth sets online, you can find a picture or chart for the sizing and how to measure your kid for the right size, which made me feel more comfortable in ordering the correct size.

Good to know for future purchases, thanks for your feedback!

#LeftyGang

Here's a question for you. Did you find your kid noticed a difference in the weight between the uskids set and your DIY set? I remember as a kid using a sawed off adult club would be heavy as heck and could produce some bad swing habits. Just curious what your experience has been?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! 

Swing your Swing.

Can't wait to get to this stage with Ivan! He already has a foam putter he brings all over the house with him haha

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Can't wait to get to this stage with Ivan! He already has a foam putter he brings all over the house with him haha

It really is a ton of fun. My youngest is three and now wanting to get his own clubs to be like big brother. He has plastic clubs that they both play with in the house and I will probably get him a beginner club off USKG this year to whack around foam balls in the yard or out on the course in the evenings, and then get him into the little tiny starter set from Tour Edge when he turns four. The 14 green of my home course is now our "back yard" so we will be going out there for putting and short game practice most nights of the week this summer 😍

#LeftyGang

I bought my lefty nephew a Tour Edge set for Christmas.  I mainly went with the Tour Edge because he is 12 and there are not a lot of options out there in the 12-14 age range.   They were cheaper than the US Kids, but seem like they are good quality clubs.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

• 11 months later...

Reviving this topic...

My 9 y/o daughter will start competing this year in the U12 division.

She's currently playing US Kids UL54" and about to outgrow it, so looking at 57" sets.

Now, considering she'll play about 3-4 tournaments per month and practicing 3 times per week, I thought about getting her something "better".

Trainer suggested US Kids Tour Series (little heavier than the UL) or if you want to spend more, PING Prodi G with their free upgrade once program.

I saw a junior driver test video, where they compared the UL, TS and Prodi G and you could see there was a huge distance gain with the PING.

So any experienced parent out there who did the jump from UL to TS/Prodi G and doesn't regret it?

Appreciate any feedback.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...

Seems the thread is dead, but still wanted to provide some feedback:

We went to fitting day and tested the US Kids UL, TS and Prodi G set against each other.

Performancewise, the Prodi G was slightly better than the TS and heaps better than the UL. Makes sense, the UL is aimed at beginner golfers, just something easy to launch.

TS and Prodi G are heavier, stiffer and about 0.5" longer, so a little getting used to it is required. But once she got it dialed in, she was 1 club longer in the irons and about 30m longer with the driver (vs the UL).

Just make sure the added weight and length isn't causing any swing flaws.

As for pricing, the TS series cost about twice as much as the UL and about the same as the Prodi G. The great thing about the PING clubs is, you can send them in for a free reshaft/regrip once... so it's 2 sets for the price of 1!

So if your kid is getting serious about competing, let them have a go at the more expensive stuff... might make a big difference.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT