Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer

TJ Hall

This trainer is frustrating, addictive and helpful all at the same time!  I had been struggling with pace and starting putts online for quite a while so decided to get one of these after seeing it online around Christmas (it was supposed to be a gift from my wife but she forgot that it was in the closet!).  I broke it out early in the spring and my putting improved tremendously.

I don’t have a putting mat, but the carpet in our bonus room rolls quite nice.  Will go hit putts for 15-20 minutes at a time just to get a feel of the putter, hitting putts anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet.  

Seeing how far a putt would miss has provided more attention to pace and has resulted in many less 3 putts on the course.  It has also helped with the feel of the putts and being able to make a consistent stroke.  If you are struggling on the greens, this trainer will help you…and you really can’t beat the price of it.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 8/28/2023 at 6:49 PM, TJ Hall said:

This trainer is frustrating, addictive and helpful all at the same time!

TJ I have a question for you, on your experience with this training aid.  I see it is not very expensive in any event!  I was wondering on say longer putts you practice 8-12 feet or so.  What is you take on the ball rolling back toward you the amount it would have went by the hole.  Is it pretty accurate?   This is why I ask.  I have a practice putting green 12'.  It has 3 holes on the end I hit toward, however 2 are 6 inches from the end bumper and one is 1 foot.  So I clearly can work on my distance control by trying to stop the ball without it hitting the end bumper, but it would be nice to see on ones that hit the end bumper a little harder, how far I would have been past the hole. I would hope that perhaps this could further assist my distance control, without having to try and be so precise!  I hope this makes sense!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

TJ I have a question for you, on your experience with this training aid.  I see it is not very expensive in any event!  I was wondering on say longer putts you practice 8-12 feet or so.  What is you take on the ball rolling back toward you the amount it would have went by the hole.  Is it pretty accurate?   This is why I ask.  I have a practice putting green 12'.  It has 3 holes on the end I hit toward, however 2 are 6 inches from the end bumper and one is 1 foot.  So I clearly can work on my distance control by trying to stop the ball without it hitting the end bumper, but it would be nice to see on ones that hit the end bumper a little harder, how far I would have been past the hole. I would hope that perhaps this could further assist my distance control, without having to try and be so precise!  I hope this makes sense!

I’m not completely sold that the rollback feature accurately reflects how far it would roll past…but it does give some kind of representation.  From a distance, missing the cup rolls past around 1.5 feet, while one that makes and rolls back would be around a foot (keep in mind it is 2 different putts and the pace may slightly differ).  I have purposely hit putts from close range at different speeds and the rollback is different, so it does change with putt pace.  At the end of the day, I don’t think it can hurt.  For the $30 I spent on it, I feel it is a fantastic trainer.  If nothing else, it gives the opportunity to roll some putts…pairing with a mat and/or other trainer (mirror system) might be helpful, just haven’t tried those or made the investment to purchase at this point.  

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

At the end of the day, I don’t think it can hurt.

Thanks for getting back to me.   I think I am going to pick one up.

1 minute ago, Stuka44 said:

Thanks for getting back to me.   I think I am going to pick one up.

Good luck, if you do get one I am curious what you think about it.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

24 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I’m not completely sold that the rollback feature accurately reflects how far it would roll past…but it does give some kind of representation.  From a distance, missing the cup rolls past around 1.5 feet, while one that makes and rolls back would be around a foot (keep in mind it is 2 different putts and the pace may slightly differ).  I have purposely hit putts from close range at different speeds and the rollback is different, so it does change with putt pace.  At the end of the day, I don’t think it can hurt.  For the $30 I spent on it, I feel it is a fantastic trainer.  If nothing else, it gives the opportunity to roll some putts…pairing with a mat and/or other trainer (mirror system) might be helpful, just haven’t tried those or made the investment to purchase at this point.  

I’ve found PuttOut really helps my aim, but I’m also not so sold on if it’s helping my speed. To go for a “Perfect Putt” you need to be going reasonably fast, I would wager about a foot of rollback. I’m placing putts where I want, but my overall putting speed seems to have increased.

I’ve started to adjust my practice to have as little rollback as possible, and not focusing on perfect putts.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I was intrigued and bought one of these when seeing the ad on MyGolfSpy. I started mainly with 3', 6', and 9' putts on a putting mat completing drills similar to what I do on practice putting green at my club.

Recently, I started using it also for chips. It gives the same feedback as putting but I can practice different length chips (within reason) and went from leaving it close to making 2 or 3 out of 5 and leaving the rest close. This is much more difficult to do (at least at my club) so it is nice to have convenient way to practice chips up to 20 feet in my living room.

Epic Max 12 Driver

Titleist F915 3-Wood

Cobra Baffler Hybrids (3, 4, & 5)

Mizuno MP5 Irons

Titleist Vokey Wedges (50, 54, & 60)

Odessey #9 Stroke Labs Putter

Titleist Pro V1x

3 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

I’ve found PuttOut really helps my aim, but I’m also not so sold on if it’s helping my speed. To go for a “Perfect Putt” you need to be going reasonably fast, I would wager about a foot of rollback. I’m placing putts where I want, but my overall putting speed seems to have increased.

I’ve started to adjust my practice to have as little rollback as possible, and not focusing on perfect putts.

I’ve hit many a putt that I would have considered “perfect” that did not stick in the little hole (hence the frustrating part).  Agree that it will help with sim, but I was also able to get a consistent feel for the ball coming off the putter.  I tend to putt better when the ball just falls into the hole, so I agree with looking for minimal rollback.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I have had mine for quite some time now and LOVE it. Super convenient and FAR better IMHO than other putting discs, etc. regardless of whether or not the rollback question can be accurately addressed. I leave it set up in my office and practice during audio conference calls and other meetings when simply required to listen in. I find it to be a nice diversion at times I need a break as well. My putting has DEFINITELY improved. I have found it to be particularly useful to get a better feel at times when I am transitioning to a new putter or trying to get dialed in prior to a round. I find it helpful in target as well as pace. Great value for low investment, IMHO.

Driver /Fairway Woods: Taylormade

Hybrid: Cobra

Irons: Taylormade

Wedges: Vokey

Putter: Odyssey

This is one of my favorite trainers. Being able to use it inside and whenever needed is great. It is addicting seeing how many you can stick in a row. 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I can also confirm I love my PuttOut. My 3-year old is obsessed with golf and we practice with each other nearly daily on it. According to Arccos I'm +0.9 SG compared to a 5 hcp over my last 10 rounds, so the practice is clearly helping. I also can't stress enough how great it is as a portable training aid. We just got back from vacation and it was absurdly easy to fit inside my golf bag, while all other trainers from the Tour Striker ball to my alignment sticks stayed home.

GOLF+ Community Manager

9hcp | Ping G425 Dr, 3W | PXG 0341X 7W | P790 4i-PW | Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58 | Cobra Supernova

On 9/2/2023 at 10:50 PM, ShakCentral said:

I can also confirm I love my PuttOut. My 3-year old is obsessed with golf and we practice with each other nearly daily on it. According to Arccos I'm +0.9 SG compared to a 5 hcp over my last 10 rounds, so the practice is clearly helping. I also can't stress enough how great it is as a portable training aid. We just got back from vacation and it was absurdly easy to fit inside my golf bag, while all other trainers from the Tour Striker ball to my alignment sticks stayed home.

Exactly. Easy to transport anywhere at anytime! 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I love the PuttOut but man is the perfect putt a challenge. It has really made me focus on a much slower roll than I would normally have. 
I have also started hitting putts from the back of the mat and getting them to stop in each zone. This has really challenged me to control pace and have more feel. I will hit putts until I can get it to stop in furthest zone then work back until I have it in each. 

Not to mention, this thing is great to use on the long, unnecessary conference calls!

71565745480__1D401E51-9E69-4B19-B98B-293F864B6708.jpeg

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one, and I'm going to start using it.  Will offer some additional feedback.

Ok I've been using it and I really like the feedback, in terms of rollback on my putting mat.  I find it most useful trying to get it to stick in the perfect pace hole.

Having used it in the basement, I'm intrigued to take it to a course, and use it for warm up practice before a round, on what hopefully would be at least a little bit representative of the course I'm playing that day's green speeds.  Wonder if it will provide any feedback, one can't get from putting at the holes the course has in the practice green.  I'm going to find out, provided that I can get to the course more than 10 minutes prior to tee time!

• 4 weeks later...

With fall here and winter in N/E Ohio rapidly closing in.  (Possible wet snowy mix for Halloween Night).   I am really getting hooked on using this thing.  I also have the 12 foot birdie ball mat.  I have now altered my practice routine.  I putt 3 balls from each distance from 3-10 feet, at the holes in the mat.  I then make 30 putts starting at 2', trying to get the ball to stick in that little hole on this thing.  This represents a perfectly on line put at a speed to stop 18" past the hole.  I go in 1 foot increments to see how far away I can get with 30 putts.  I keep track on a legal pad I have down there.  so far I've gotten to 3 feet.  I'm hoping just like practicing my stroke and making it more consistent with the putting mat, that this trainer, will help me groove my stroke even further, and make more putts, like the putting mat practice has done.  I can get this all done in about 20 minutes.   The sticking the ball in the hole on the Perfect Putt trainer, is rapidly becoming an obsession!!!!

NOTE:  And don't want to come off like I'm patronizing  anyone,  but standing up and  straightening your back out,  after every 5 putts or so,  for 10-30 seconds(depending on your age) is a must.   

On 10/15/2023 at 9:25 PM, bocaf said:

I can’t stop freaking putting now.

2 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

With fall here and winter in N/E Ohio rapidly closing in.  (Possible wet snowy mix for Halloween Night).   I am really getting hooked on using this thing.  I also have the 12 foot birdie ball mat.  I have now altered my practice routine.  I putt 3 balls from each distance from 3-10 feet, at the holes in the mat.  I then make 30 putts starting at 2', trying to get the ball to stick in that little hole on this thing.  This represents a perfectly on line put at a speed to stop 18" past the hole.  I go in 1 foot increments to see how far away I can get with 30 putts.  I keep track on a legal pad I have down there.  so far I've gotten to 3 feet.  I'm hoping just like practicing my stroke and making it more consistent with the putting mat, that this trainer, will help me groove my stroke even further, and make more putts, like the putting mat practice has done.  I can get this all done in about 20 minutes.   The sticking the ball in the hole on the Perfect Putt trainer, is rapidly becoming an obsession!!!!

NOTE:  And don't want to come off like I'm patronizing  anyone,  but standing up and  straightening your back out,  after every 5 putts or so,  for 10-30 seconds(depending on your age) is a must.   

I agree with standing up, I do so after every putt.  I usually change distances each time as I was trying to focus on different speeds.  

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

17 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

I have a winter putting practice routine - but I make myself stand up and take a step away after every single putt, then retake my stance and hit the next.  Half my challenge is correct posture and ball position - this ensures I’m just as focused on that as I am on the stroke. 

And it’s good for my back. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 10/30/2023 at 1:28 PM, Stuka44 said:

Do the routine except spread it out over the course of the day, only 1-3 putts at a time to see how you perform coming in cold and not after grooving the stroke on 20 putts in a row. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Sometimes I need the 20 in a row to get out of a funk.  I would consider myself a streaky putter…sometimes I can’t miss, other times have no idea how the ball will come off the putter.  But agree with trying to replicate what will happen on the course for practice is a good idea.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter