Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Galway Bay Rain Gear - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

@WaffleHouseTour I find it interesting that the Hawthorne jacket has the "puffiness" you have shown numerous times, and I also wonder if possibly that particular style or jacket may also attribute to it beside the possible sizing question.

I have the Galway Lined Long Sleeved All-Weather Jacket along with their Seagrove Chino II pants and haven't experienced any of the "puffiness" and I have them in my typical sizing for most shirts or jackets.

One thing I really like about the jacket I have, is it can be worn as an outer layer even on days when most others won't budge from the house to play outdoors, and still keeps me warm and dry.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

25 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

@WaffleHouseTour I find it interesting that the Hawthorne jacket has the "puffiness" you have shown numerous times, and I also wonder if possibly that particular style or jacket may also attribute to it beside the possible sizing question.

I have the Galway Lined Long Sleeved All-Weather Jacket along with their Seagrove Chino II pants and haven't experienced any of the "puffiness" and I have them in my typical sizing for most shirts or jackets.

One thing I really like about the jacket I have, is it can be worn as an outer layer even on days when most others won't budge from the house to play outdoors, and still keeps me warm and dry.

Could it be that because your jacket is lined that it holds the Hydro-Flex 32 fabric down?  The additional weight?  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, jdparker said:

Could it be that because your jacket is lined that it holds the Hydro-Flex 32 fabric down?  The additional weight?  

Possibly, as the jacket I have is reversable, so potentially 2 of the outer layers on the other models?

I bought my particular jacket knowing that I wanted it to be for both the colder and wetter conditions we typically see in early spring or late fall.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

1 minute ago, rkj427 said:

Possibly, as the jacket I have is reversable, so potentially 2 of the outer layers on the other models?

I bought my particular jacket knowing that I wanted it to be for both the colder and wetter conditions we typically see in early spring or late fall.

That's the only thing I can think of. I have just a rain jacket for fishing at its thin like that and has a slight poof. My GB jacket has a slight one but does not affect swings or putting. 

It finally rained so I headed out to the driving range in my gear. I have to say, it kept me almost completely dry during a driver/7-iron session lasting about 45minutes.

Screenshot_20231024_204548_Gallery.jpg.191fc2e9f8cab83e94118cb115e6747f.jpg

After the session, I found a down spout and decided to really give the gear a workout...

Screenshot_20231024_204536_Gallery.jpg.208bdd3792b1b824ac04964b0c1840d6.jpg

While it didn't keep me completely dry, I was impressed by how little water soaked through, even after putting around for another half hour.20231024_164746.jpg.a0ba5accd0309ceb8f0573a700f66117.jpg

20231024_164713.jpg.0af6bb9ab2feebbac658b40d9c7f7179.jpg

20231024_164735.jpg.804b6bf7e5f8c9bc944e499b0e997b26.jpg

As you might expect, most of the bleed through was around the shoulders and upper back. I really doused the jacket and pants. Honestly, the small amount of bleed through was much better than I expected, and much MUCH better than other name-brand rain gear I've paid top dollar for. Impressive.

The pants kept me dry and I wore them home in the car, stopping for some shopping on the way. No bleed through. Also, I was curious id the straight legs of the pants might allow rain to run off i to my shoes. Nope! Very pleased about that.

The gloves...oh, the gloves were fine. They stayed grippy even when wet. However, I ordered a size smaller than my normal XL  and they were still too big. During 7 iron drills, the gloves did diminish my feel, but when I hit the ball off the toe, the stinger I expected was muffled. I could still tell that I miss hit the ball, but didn't pay as big a price as I did with my other rain gloves.

It was a good test of the gear under real conditions, and I came away impressed.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

My final thoughts and review are up on the main testing post here

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 10/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, GolferXY said:

It finally rained so I headed out to the driving range in my gear. I have to say, it kept me almost completely dry during a driver/7-iron session lasting about 45minutes.

After the session, I found a down spout and decided to really give the gear a workout...

While it didn't keep me completely dry, I was impressed by how little water soaked through, even after putting around for another half hour.20231024_164746.jpg.a0ba5accd0309ceb8f0573a700f66117.jpg

As you might expect, most of the bleed through was around the shoulders and upper back. I really doused the jacket and pants. Honestly, the small amount of bleed through was much better than I expected, and much MUCH better than other name-brand rain gear I've paid top dollar for. Impressive.

The pants kept me dry and I wore them home in the car, stopping for some shopping on the way. No bleed through. Also, I was curious id the straight legs of the pants might allow rain to run off i to my shoes. Nope! Very pleased about that.

The gloves...oh, the gloves were fine. They stayed grippy even when wet. However, I ordered a size smaller than my normal XL  and they were still too big. During 7 iron drills, the gloves did diminish my feel, but when I hit the ball off the toe, the stinger I expected was muffled. I could still tell that I miss hit the ball, but didn't pay as big a price as I did with my other rain gloves.

It was a good test of the gear under real conditions, and I came away impressed.

Now that's what I call a test!  Well done spy, well done 👏.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

42 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

My final thoughts and review are up on the main testing post here

Great review @WaffleHouseTour

Very detailed, and easily understood by anyone who reads your words, and watches your videos!

Good morning Spies!

I have completed my final review of the Galway Bay Rain Gear.  Please take a moment to check it out.

-XY

Thanks to Galway Bay and Mygolfspy for allowing me to participate in this test. I had a blast! Fore! 

So I'll BLUF this (Bottom Line Up Front): This is the best rain gear I've ever worn. (9 of 10)

Comfort (18 20): I wore the gear on sunny 65 degree days and no rain and 45 degree days with a light rain. It was roomy and comfortable, breathable enough that I didn't sweat. My swing wasn't impacted by the jacket or pants, and where some can get noisy, all I heard was a muted "swish" while walking or swinging. No binding at all. The arms swing freely, I can make complete turns at the hips and shoulders. The sleeves are long enough to cover my Garmin watch but have velcro closures that keep them out of the way as needed. The zipper is robust and there's a couple of velcro closures keeping the flap covering the zipper in place even in a stiff breeze.

The pants can be worn as golf pants, or over other pants as typical rain pants would be.  This is because of a very nice stretch feature that doesn't reduce the waterproofing at all. Two buttons and a zip fly secure the pants and the 5 belt loops accept a typical sized golf belt.  A nice touch is that the rear loop is double wide; I have had that particular loop fail on other pants because it takes the most stress. Another clever touch is the magnetic closures on both rear pockets. All pockets are perfectly sized and configured.  Plenty of room but not so big that I have to dig around for something.  The straight-leg style concerned me at first because I thought it might allow water into my shoes but even in a downpour no water drained into my shoes.  These pants can be worn wherever and look good.

Waterproofing (8 of 10): If 10 is perfectly waterproof, then this gear comes close.  I doubt that any rain gear can provide perfection in this category and still be usable. The goretex is breathable and allows heat out while shedding water extremely well. Under a steady light rain, I had zero bleed through after 45 minutes. In heavier rain...standing under a downspout for 5 minutes, thoroughly drenched...I did have some bleed through around the shoulders and upper back.  I expected to be soaked but was pleasantly surprised by how dry I was. Even being completely inundated, I was comfortable enough to putt around for another 30 minutes. Again, there was no bunching or binding even under these intense conditions.

Styling (7 of 10): I'm not much of a clothes-horse. My preference is for utility over style, and this gear gets high marks for that. However, Galway Bay has a very limited colorway - black or gray in both jacket and pants. The jacket has a vertical gray stripe on the back that breaks up the monotony, but  compared to other company's gear I have like Galvin Green and Footjoy the styling is - let's say - understated. That said, the overall look was good, and suits me fine. But for those for whom style is of high importance these may not be the best option.

Fit (9-10): Galway Bay has a fitting app on the website. I found it to be easy to use. I think that the app sizing runs a bit on the large side because it suggested pants 1" shorter and one size narrower around the waist than what I normally wear. I was concerned about that, but the jacket and pants ended up being a perfect fit. The app suggested my size and can be tweeked a bit to get different options, i.e., XL would fit fine through the shoulders but tight at the waist, whereas XXL would be loose at the waist.  While the fitting app is pretty basic, it provided enough info for me to order the correct gear, and I'm very pleased by the fit. Layering in the cooler weather of late was easy without negative impact to comfort or swing.

Gloves (5 of10):

Ungortunately, the rain gloves fell short of the mark set by the jacket and pants. It's not that they were bad, just that they were no better than off-the-shelf brands like Footjoy, Titelist, or Bridgestone. Even though I ordered a size smaller than I normally wear, the Galway Bay gloves were too big and bulky.  When compared to what I consider the gold standard, Red Rooster, they were big, uncomfortable, and soaked up water like a sponge. There was no loss of grip, but due to the lack of waterproofing my hands were cold and wet and I took the gloves off as soon as I had hit the ball. 

The good, the bad, and the in-between (17 of20): The fitting and ordering process was clear and the gear was delivered quickly. The quality of the merch is excellent. The stitching is perfect and has stood up to 8 launderings.  The clothing is thoughtfully designed for golfers with perfectly designed pockets, excellent zippers and closures, and magnetic closures on the back pockets.

I was impressed enough by the gear to order a vest.  I received the new vest quickly too, but had to return it and get a bigger size because I ordered incorrectly. Galway Bay replied within 2 days and sent me a return label. I sent the package back a couple of days later, however I haven't received my replacement vest yet. It's been 3 weeks, and the item is still showing in-transit.

OK, I love me some rain! I've played rounds where the ball had to be floated and bounced to the hole, where whole courses had to be re-designed on the fly because of flooding, or where I was the only golfer on the course getting the side eye from the guy at the counter taking my greens fee. I've used just about every style of rain gear made.  The Galway Bay gear is the best, bar none. It's comfortable, flexible, includes some great features, and is the best waterproofing I've seen. I would say it stays in the bag, but I like it enough to put it on a hangar between rounds!

Edited by GolferXY
Added video

-XY

• 2 weeks later...

I got out and played this morning and with a chance of rain, threw on the Galway Bay rain pants and stored the jacket in the cart.  It was in the low 50's so not terribly cold but cold enough for pants.  The course was cart path only so it was going to be a lot of steps in wet soggy conditions.  One of the things I like most about these pants is the waterproof material and the ability to not be soaked after a few holes.  Even though I have the light gray pants, they do a pretty good job at keeping the dirt/mud at bay and are super easy to wipe clean.  

It didn't end up raining so I didn't wear the jacket but it was ready to be put into action.  I hope many of y'all took advantage of the MGS special that Galway Bay provided for us and picked up a new jacket or some gear!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, Josh Parker said:

I want to first say thanks to MGS for the opportunity to test out the Galway Bay rain gear!  My name is Josh and I am out of Austin, Texas.  Born and raised.  A few fun facts outside of golf.  I am married and have 2 young children (2 and 7).   I work in real estate and have been for the last 3.5 years.  I got into the business in order to spend more time with my kids while they are young and I love what I do.  I’m also a licensed fishing captain and we spend a lot of time down at the coast.  There is much more but I will keep this section short and sweet so that we can get to the good stuff.golf3.jpg.ae82af5d7e0c51f5446fe51ed2bcc7bc.jpg

I started playing golf about 15 years ago at a small city owned course.  There wasn’t much to do in the small town and I was working for the city at the time and several co-workers played so I decided to pick up the game.  Little did I know that it would become quite the obsession.  I played for a few years non-stop and had gotten down to a 3 handicap before moving back to Austin.  Once I was back in Austin, I got a job in construction and moved up the ranks where work/life got busy and golfing was a treat but didn’t happen nearly as much as I would have liked and my game went away.  This past year, I finally got to a place that I was able to dedicate more time to practicing and playing again and thankfully I have a wife that allows me to get out there and play pretty much whenever I want to.  (Now that she’s starting to learn, I’m sure that some of that “quiet” time I enjoy about golfing may change some….. don’t tell her that though…HAHA)  All kidding aside, I am actually excited that I will get to spend some time on the course with her.  I decided to finally get fitted for clubs this past year and it has changed my game and currently sitting at a 12 handicap.

golf.jpg.ad0a6abfda71b4492230fd12dbc979d2.jpg

Now for the testing part…

My expectations on rain gear would love to be high, however, most rain gear seems to have limitations in performance and comfort.  Honestly, I am hoping that we get some good rain and can truly put it to the test.  If not, I have some things planned in order to put them through the wringer.  Could be very entertaining as well as informative.  I will be focusing on the following areas:

Fit and Finish:

• Is sizing accurate? (granted this can vary from brand to brand)
  • Can I wear from the course to dinner?
  • Quality of materials used.

On The Course Performance:

• How well does it keep water out and for how long?
  • How is the noise level with the jacket and pants?
  • Do the gloves keep grip and how durable are they?
  • How does it perform as far as being able to swing a club without restriction or does it restrict motion?
  • Do I lose swing speed?
  • Does it store well in the bag when not in use? 

My current gear repels water to a point and then just soaks thru.  My initial thoughts/hopes with the Galway Bay gear is that the noise is minimal and that it has good ranges of motion.  With the pants meant to be worn as the main article of clothing and not as a cover, after a round in the elements am I going to be able to sit in my vehicle and head home without needing to change?

If there are certain things that folks would like to see, please comment and I will do my best to incorporate that into my testing.

golf2.jpg.f8a512f773d54c5bbb3763e926ce08f1.jpg

Well, the day has arrived, and I just received my package from Galway Bay!  Opening the box and here are my initial thoughts. 

Packaging: 

Each item arrives in its own packaging.  The bags are zippered, and each has the company logo on them.  I know packaging on clothing doesn’t matter to many but at the upper end of the price range, seeing everything in its own logoed bag was a pleasant surprise.

20230918_132554.jpg.73d3e0b6c490c7aff506bb69ce805799.jpg20230918_132615.jpg.be1488566b0a08bdf31e8b301145c1b4.jpg

20230918_132720.jpg.46f2f9a199a1c3c45ef121af77f31312.jpg

Gloves:  Golf Rain Grip Gloves

First impression of the gloves is that they are high quality and that the fit and finish is good.  The outside of the gloves reminds me slightly of the new style of construction or mechanics gloves and seem to have breathability.  They fit well and are snug, just like a golf glove should fit.  The palm area feels more like a suede, so I am interested to see how they feel when they are wet and to see if the claim to good grip will really be there. 

20230918_133237.jpg.0a3ad98fee3286df107dd6b54b4e71f5.jpg

20230918_133242.jpg.2a668612726f162ba4e86576ead45a64.jpg

Jacket:  Hawthorn II Golf Rain Jacket

The quality is far better than many of the rain jackets I have owned in the past.  The sealed zippers and seams are a great feature and the slotted neckline fit nicely when zipped all the way up.  Galway Bay claims the Hydro-Flex 32 fabric not only blocks wind and rain but also has a breathability rating of 15,000.  This is something that I will definitely be testing heavily as we don’t get just a ton of cold weather in Texas, but we do get the rain showers.  I briefly threw on the jacket and the fit feels good.  I feel like there is room in the shoulders and back area that should allow for a smooth golf swing.  The jacket does have that wispy noise that every rain jacket I have owned does but I want to wear it more to see if it is the better or worse than the rest.   

20230918_132940.jpg.291290a23ad7972d2affe65922c2f3d4.jpg20230918_133011.jpg.1edb938d53a3528aed3f2e0c26c96960.jpg

Pants:  Seagrove II Chino Rain Pant

The pants are made of the same fabric as the jacket and the quality is present in these as well.  They fit well and the sizing is spot on for my everyday clothing size.  Galway Bay says that the pants are soft and quiet.  There is some slight noise but nothing like traditional rain gear.  It will be interesting to see the durability of water resistance between those other brands and the Galway Bay pants.  They are comfortable and could easily be worn as everyday pants.  I don't necessarily see them as a throw over your current pants in a pop-up rainstorm because they do not have any zippers at the cuff of the pants and you would need to remove your shoes, but I plan on attempting that scenario to see what happens. 

20230918_132841.jpg.21c252500eae01e2545bd22a6d6aaa14.jpg

Final Review:

First Impressions (10 out of 10)
As mentioned above, the pants and jacket quality are top notch!  The packaging is clean and simple and each item comes in a logo bag proudly displaying the Galway Bay stamp.  The gloves are made well and the sizing on them fit just like the rest of my golf gloves. 

IMG_20231028_094125.jpg.44be109e280b820a47a212def0b602a0.jpg

Aesthetics (9 out of 10)

Personally, I love the look of the Galway Bay rain gear.  You can immediately tell that the product is well made and the thought process behind the design and fit was built for golf.  The Hydro-Flex 32 fabric is ultra-light weight and the GB logos and name badge are put in all the right spots to make the clothes stand out in a crowd.

Seagrove II Chino Rain Pants – I really like the look of the pants.  They have a nice taper to them and the attention to detail really impressed me.  One of the things that I had not noticed until I put the pants on, was that they have magnets in the back pockets instead of a zipper or button and it’s something that I really liked about the pants.  The stitching, stretch and modern look of the pants fits in with today’s trends but still has enough classic look to them.  I have several golf pants that could almost be their twin, but they would not keep me dry in the wet rainy conditions like the GB pants did.  The one thing I would have chosen differently would have been to go with the black as I feel like being in the rain and wet grass, dirt, sand, etc. the light grey pants are going to start getting dirty rather quickly.

Hawthorn II Golf Rain Jacket – The jacket is the one item I tested that really stood out to me at the very beginning.  The slotted neckline that does not hit your chin.  The additional room in the shoulders that allows for a smooth swing.  The drawstrings inside the base of the jacket all show the thought process in the design and function for golf.  Then you have the black accent on the back of the jacket with the GB logo that looks clean and sharp.  You also have both a waterproof zipper as well as Velcro to keep additional water at bay.  All of this puts together a great jacket that can easily be worn or stored away in the bag for when the rain starts.

Galway Bay Rain Gloves – First glance at the gloves gives you the typical look of most rain gloves with some subtle differences.  They do have some design on the top of the glove that makes it slightly different from other rain gloves.  The quality and stitching again are high and I would put them up against some of the big-name brands.  The one thing that I would have loved to have seen some type of silicone on the fingers and palm of the gloves for additional grip to make them a little different from the other brands.

IMG_20231028_094130.jpg.7533d06539f85c2d96b06ca777748064.jpg

Fit & Comfort (19 out of 20)

Seagrove II Chino Rain Pants – I did the online fitting that GB offers on their site and the pants fit perfectly.  The material stretches and breathes well.  They are meant to be worn as your primary garment and not as pull overs.  I did however wear some shorts under them to see if they would work and I was surprised that they had enough stretch to fit.  I own multiple golf pants and I would put these at the top of the list.

Hawthorn II Golf Rain Jacket – When I first pulled the jacket out of its zippered pouch and put it on, I immediately noticed how well it fit and was more form fitting than most rain jackets that I have owned in the past.  Now one would think that form fitting means loss of movement, however, it really did not feel restrictive at all.  It had room in the shoulders and upper back area that allowed for a smooth free swing.   The Hydro-Flex 32 fabric is light and breathes well.  You also can synch down the cuffs and base of the jacket if needed as well as multiple secured pockets that keep the rain away. 

Galway Bay Rain Gloves – I chose my everyday glove size and they were spot on with sizing.  They are soft and form fitting.  I typically like my gloves super tight and the only area that they fell short in were at the wrist area with the Velcro.  They were looser than I prefer but if I am going to give up fit in any section of a glove, it would be this area.  

On-Course (17 out of 20)

Overall, the Galway Bay rain gear is top notch.  I am going to start with the positives because there are so many more positives than negatives.

Wearing the GB gear on the course and the range were great.  They are comfortable and fit well.  I walked in to this test with some major concerns about noise and the ability to swing a club free from restriction.  Galway Bay performed flawlessly in these aspects and on top of all of that, kept me dry. 

The pants breathe well and the stretch in the Hydro-Flex 32 material makes it easy to walk the course.  The pockets are large enough to hold tees, marker, and golf balls but not overly big.  The back pockets have magnets in them to help keep them closed when not in use and perfect for a glove.

The jacket was probably the one article of clothing that impressed me the most.  So often rain gear is restrictive and noisy which can change my game and distract me from playing my best.  Let’s face it, you are already playing in the rain and now you have these limitations, it doesn’t make for an enjoyable round.  Galway Bay knocked it out of the park on their jacket.  It is comfortable and light.  It has the necessary stretch and design to allow you to keep your normal swing, and this is paramount in bad weather gear.  The slight noise I heard when I first put on the jacket ended up not being a distraction whatsoever and I was very pleased that a rain jacket finally fit that bill. 

The GB rain gloves for me are lacking some in performance.  I understand the concept of rain gloves and how they are supposed to work.  The issue I have with them is grip in wet conditions.  I would have loved to see them have some type of silicone on the palm and finger tips to give additional grip which would allow for more feel with the club.  I know most rain gloves on the market do not have this and I am only aware of one company that does, but I think this is a must have.  With all the different grips on clubs these days, wet hands do not always work and the addition of silicone would allow these gloves to work with more grips in the market.

The only other minus to this for me is the pants not being able to act as pull overs.  Being in Texas, we have months over a hundred degrees and we tend to have pop up storms.  When it is that hot, I prefer to have my rain gear stored away in the bag and ready to be thrown on at a moment’s notice.  These will work as pull-overs but you will be forced to take your shoes off to put the pants on.  I would have loved to have seen a zipper added to the pants.

IMG_20231028_093947.jpg.21225f74fef404f52a611494b6f5c2b2.jpg

The Good, the bad, the in-between (19 out of 20)

The Good – The quality of the Galway Bay rain gear is top notch!  The fit and comfort of the gear is impressive and when you put everything on, you feel like a million bucks.  The pants and jacket could easily be worn to the office and then straight out to the course. 

The Bad – Again for me, the gloves lacked a little in the grip arena for me.  They are like 99% of the other rain gloves out there and they do perform but I just prefer a little more grip.

The In-Between – Here is where I am torn.  I love the fit and comfort of the pants, however, I would have loved to have seen these pants with waterproof zippers at the base of the pant legs so that you could also use them as pullovers in warmer weather.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

There is no question for me here, Galway Bay rain gear is an absolute play it!  It performed beyond my expectations when it came to comfort, swing ability and above anything else, keeping you dry.  The jacket is tucked away in the bag along with the rain gloves and the pants are ready to be put into action.

Conclusion

If you are in the market for rain gear or even if you are not, do yourself a favor and head on over to the Galway Bay site and pick up a new jacket, pants, or gloves.  You will not be disappointed. 

I had some very low expectations with rain gear at the beginning of this process and Galway Bay blew me away with their performance in every aspect.  They have found the solution to a lot of the issues in rain gear for golf.  The Hydro-Flex 32 material that they use on the jacket and pants allows for the full range of motion all while giving you a modern look out on the course. 

Finally, the most important part of rain gear is to keep you dry, and this gear will absolutely do that.

Thank you to Galway Bay and MGS for this opportunity. 

Final Score (94 out of 100)

Definitely a great review! Makes me need to put this on my list to Santa! 

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

Hello fellow Spies!

I received my Galway Bay vest, and took it for a joyride. It is every bit as waterproof as the jacket and ...BONUS....wearing both in a steady rain kept me warm and dry for 4 hours.

The vest is comfortable, though in contrast to the jacket and pants which tended to run a wee bit big, the vest fit is a bit small, so order up a size. I originally ordered a L, and sent it back for an XL which fits great.

The vest is attractive, comfortable, and adds a bit of warmth on these chilly days. If you're looking for a vest, this is a good one. Let me know if you would like a complete review. I'll post pictures tomorrow. 

-XY

• 2 months later...

Wanted to just check in and give you my updated thoughts a few months in…..

It”s been pretty darn cold and wet here in the UK since my last post. So how has the Galway Bay performed; coped may even be a better term. I was under no illusion that these would not keep the cold at Bay (sorry I couldn’t help myself), but given they are very lightweight they are easily layered so I’ll give them a big plus here. Main point to let you all know they really do keep the rain out. They are hands down better than any rain gear I’ve owned. You get what you pay for and yes ok I didn’t buy these, but I can honestly say I would. They wash well and don’t lose any of their protection. I’ve even used the gloves on and off and yes they work, reasonable grip, keep your hands warm in the wet and cold, although I still prefer my normal glove and mitts combo. 
I’ve been looking at the new line from GB just to see if these would be a good upgrade and yes they state some good plus points, you know what I’m sticking with the package I have as these are built to last. 
So one big shout out again to Galway Bay and MyGolfSpy for giving me this opportunity to test and own these. I’ll keep you all posted to the longevity, but honestly go get some. 

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

19 minutes ago, EugeGall said:

Wanted to just check in and give you my updated thoughts a few months in…..

It”s been pretty darn cold and wet here in the UK since my last post. So how has the Galway Bay performed; coped may even be a better term. I was under no illusion that these would not keep the cold at Bay (sorry I couldn’t help myself), but given they are very lightweight they are easily layered so I’ll give them a big plus here. Main point to let you all know they really do keep the rain out. They are hands down better than any rain gear I’ve owned. You get what you pay for and yes ok I didn’t buy these, but I can honestly say I would. They wash well and don’t lose any of their protection. I’ve even used the gloves on and off and yes they work, reasonable grip, keep your hands warm in the wet and cold, although I still prefer my normal glove and mitts combo. 
I’ve been looking at the new line from GB just to see if these would be a good upgrade and yes they state some good plus points, you know what I’m sticking with the package I have as these are built to last. 
So one big shout out again to Galway Bay and MyGolfSpy for giving me this opportunity to test and own these. I’ll keep you all posted to the longevity, but honestly go get some. 

I agree, as I wear mine every round at 40° and no rain as they do keep you warm also, if you go with cold weather underarmor you don't have to have alot of clothes on underneath either!!!

Alan Scalzi 

3 minutes ago, Alan Scalzi said:

I agree, as I wear mine every round at 40° and no rain as they do keep you warm also, if you go with cold weather underarmor you don't have to have alot of clothes on underneath either!!!

Same setup, UA top and bottom base layers and good to go. 

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/