image.png

Testers Announced! 

WHY GALWAY BAY?
- Tailored for performance
- Galway Bay Hydro-Flex 32
- Attention to detail
- When we say waterproof, we mean it.

image.png

Please welcome and congratulate our testers!

@WaffleHouseTour

@jdparker

@EugeGall

@Alan Scalzi

@GolferXY

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Introductions: 

First, kudos to MGS for the whole concept of member testing. I'm sure its not easy or simple for them to continue  making these opportunities available but its those reviews that keep many of us coming back here day after day.  And a big thank you to Galway Bay for participating and making this test possible. 

IMG_2993.JPG.5bb62db8b5f2bbee3abf55a3bf38cde7.JPGMy name is Christopher and I’m from northwest Iowa.  I belong to three golf clubs Whispering Creek (five minutes from my home); the Prairie Club (four hours away in Nebraska where She Who Must Be Obeyed likes to fish) and Elmwood Country Club (a golden age gem in central Iowa). Most of my golf travails get documented on Instagram or Twitter - so you may see the rain gear in action there. 

I am not a fairweather golfer.  I play in the rain all the time.  My challenge is that I'm also a walker - so when the lightening strikes the pro shop or grounds crew usually sends someone out to get me.  It also means I carry my rain gear with me until I need it.  I also play in the cold - once the frost is gone I'm ready to go.  Wet is fine.  Cold is fine.  I just don't care for the wet and cold at the same time.   But maybe Galway Bay will help me through that particular situation. 

I’m just starting my 56th trip around the sun, so I’m old enough to have two grown daughters – one an OBGYN in Illinois; and the youngest an interior designer who just took up the game also living in Illinois.  Couldn’t get her to pick up a club when she lived at home, but now if I want to play a game with her I have to drive 8 hours to the Chicago suburbs...   (which all fathers gladly do)

IMG_2465.JPG.8388a4b69635e2b54d540d6ffbecb1f7.JPGMy wife and I like to travel – a lot – and have camped our way out to places like Bandon, and St. George UT.  She Who Must Be Obeyed likes to camp and fish; but if I'm camping, its enroute to a golf destination.  Everyone wins. Next spring it may be North Dakota – but that’s another thread. 

This is my second time testing, having done the BirdieBall PuttUp back in 2020 – and it’s a product I still use as part of my winter practice routine.  If saw that you know I’m not one for the funny gifs, but I do try to be obsessive about finding ways to measure the product for you. 

So, lets get to it... 

IMG_4536.JPG.21fc23d8691201924496937a886a990d.JPGMy current rain gear – I’ve got a set of SunIce rain jacket and pants I got back in 2013; and a set of ProQuip jacket and pants I got just a couple of years ago.  I figured why not buy them in Europe where rain seems to be synonymous with golf.  Today I match the SunIce pants with the ProQuip jacket as I'll explain below. 

I started the test interested in the following questions - you'll see my final answer on each in brief, but I've got multiple posts here that provide the details if you'd like more information.  

1) Breathability - My GoreTex rainsuit by SunIce allows no water in… but no air or humidity out.  Can’t wear it except in the winter as I’ll end up just as wet anyway.  (Final answer - very breathable - stayed dry from both the rain and perspiration)

2) Bag Carry factor - I’ve had rainsuits and been dry, but throw that shoulder strap on and your back is suddenly wet - not sure if that’s related to #1 above but it happens.  I use a push cart most days, but I’d sacrifice my shoulders at least once for the good of the group… (Final answer - no problems)

3) Ease of cleaning or refreshing the water proofing. A good suit doesn’t go in the laundry with your gym clothes if you want it to stay water proof. Everyone has a method of refreshing or prolonging the waterproof nature - some more easily than others.   Do you need to use a special detergent and how easy is that to find?   (Final answer - easy to clean and maintain, you can throw in the washer with mild detergent - or use a DSW like Grangers)

4) Fit and flexibility with emphasis on being able to turn and raise those arms without restriction (ooops that’s the competition).  Ought to be as easy as wearing your favorite quarter zip or vest.  Folks have already posted in the thread about doing some testing with a radar and measuring clubhead speed.  Great suggestion.  I’ve got a Mevo+ and plan to do so.  Thinking about the protocol here. (Final answer - see below on issues w fit, but zero issues on flexibility and maintaining swing speed)

5) Gloves - have they improved on the FootJoy model which is essentially your hands are soaking wet but the club doesn’t slip? Can they double as cold weather gloves?  Or am I keeping two sets of gloves in my “golf trunk duffle”? (Final Answer - similar to other rain gloves - no slippage, but they won't do double duty as winter gloves)

6) Ease of getting on when they skies open up – now the pants are not the pull over kind, which I initially expected.  This is going to be different.  Wearing them all the time – or any time rain looks likely in the forecast.  I typically keep my SunIce pants in the trunk and wrap them around the push cart if the sky looks foreboding.  I need to think about this one a bit.  But in terms of the jacket – how packable is it? My ProQuip is stuffed inside the bag and rolls up into a nice ball even though it has a lining.  (Final Answer - very packable - but you are not pulling the pants on - you'd have to take your shoes off - so just wear them if there is even a chance of rain.)

7) Can it do double duty?  Ie. can it serve as a wind jacket?  Is it a gamer for cold weather play, or just those early morning rounds as the weather changes – or is this strictly for when its raining?  (Final answer - very light weight and breathable, so it's great as a wind break, but it will not do double duty for cold weather - it is more suitable for warm weather. You'll need to layer up in the fall.)

First Impressions 10 0f 10

Returned home from my travels to find a roughly shoe box size package waiting for me.  I thought that’s awfully small.  Well, let me tell you this rain suite is light weight and very, very packable.   I went with the “Ultimate Grey” Hawthorn II Rain Jacket size medium, and the Seagrove II Chino Rain Pant in Black, size 32x32.  That is the size I typically wear – Medium shirts, pull overs, size 40 Regular in a suit jacket and 32x32 pants – unless I find the rare unicorn of a 32x31.  I’m 5’10” and 165lbs.

IMG_4768.JPG.90a1f193659efe730f403cbe9239abb4.JPG  IMG_4769.JPG.e7831fffc8a6eed111e57ca69dfda1f1.JPG  IMG_4770.JPG.b1379359784ad4e9c7754a2d85c0589b.JPG  IMG_4771.JPG.d34161074dc0a3c7dcf89ce525f4ccfd.JPG

The texture reminds me of my ProQuip, kind of a smooth soft shell.  Almost a satiny feel. Doesn’t feel like anything is there.  The jacket is very thin, no lining or anything like 

Observations – these aren’t pluses or minuses just observations.  

Jacket : There are draw strings  built into the hem of the bottom of the jacket, but nothing up around the rib or under arm area.  I point that out only because other jackets I’ve had have some way to tighten the fit there – we’ll see later if that’s something missing or not. 

There are some Velcro tabs along the zipper line – that’s common – but nothing at the neck.  There are also Velcro along the wrist cuffs to size appropriately. 

IMG_4777.JPG.808f26c3d2c6d0badae76b66afaf6e3b.JPG  IMG_4773.JPG.7230c44452d1738e993cc347b096ae62.JPG

Its becoming standard to put a zippered pocket on the chest.  I see these on quarter zips too.  I don’t know that I’ve ever put anything in one…  You aren’t going to put a heavy iphone in there… do people really keep a score card there?

Pants: I really like the look.  They look like regular tapered pants – with a nice little notch at the ankle hem. Other than the larger belt loop in the middle back with the logo on it, you might think these are regular golf pants you got somewhere.  GB’s web site says “These unlined pants have the same sleek look and feel as traditional golf pants…” I’d say that is accurate.  I would almost call them slim fit – not overly so – but that are definitely not baggy.   I’d say they look similar to my Dunning golf pants.  When I did the order I tried their “find your fit” option and it recommended a 36x30.  Well, I’m happy with my choice at 32x32.  

Yes, these have a slighty “whisper” sound to them when walking.  We’ll see how that goes. 

The interior of the pant around the waist has band with the name in kind of a rubbery texture – like it is there to help hold things in place and avoid twisting.   

IMG_4779.JPG.a56517942b350e2705f19899438d94d9.JPG  IMG_4781.JPG.b2040867ace1ba06522bc14b20604fe9.JPG  IMG_4782.JPG.35914bd18703a1841fd01bebf2d89f40.JPG

I would say the “rise” is average.  Some sleek or tapered pants have zero room in the crotch.  I don’t like Peter Millar shorts (love the shirts) because the rise is too high. As compared to some jeans where there is all kinds of extra room and things are baggy.  Id say are a nice medium, good fit. 

Everything is “storm sealed” including the washing instructions. IMG_4780.JPG.e04f980041fa4dbb67aac1d770e1812b.JPGIMG_4772.JPG.1812cf9745612602c876f99d8c84d3bb.JPG

The back pockets have little magnets sewn into them to help keep them closed.  Other rain pants I’ve had have a flap over the pocket to prevent water from getting in, or have zippered back pockets – so this will be interesting to see how it compares.   

The front pockets, as has been mentioned, are not deep.  Some people like that.  What I noticed is they are unsealed. Other pants I have either have some sort of flap, or more likely zipper to keep whatever you put there dry.  So we’ll see how this performs.  GB may have decide the hem of the jacket hangs low enough no water should get it.  It does hang low enough almost covering the pocket – so we’ll find out. 

Because the legs are tapered I think they have a nice look.  Other rainpants kind of pool around your shoes.  My SunIce onces are adjustable so they can be wide or narrow.  My one worry here is that if its too tapered does that shoot the water into the shoe rather than sheeting it off around the shoe.  If its too tapered does it get the sock on the back of my ankle wet, there by making my foot wet.  I don’t know yet – we’ll have to see.  

This whole concept of “always on” rainpants is new to me.  I’ve mentioned before, all mine are pull on over shorts or whatever.  You could wear them all the time, but I usually either start with them off and pull them on, or start with them on during the cool months and pull them off as the day warms up.  There won’t be any of that with these.  Those tapered legs are not going to pull over any shoes. 

Aesthetics 10 out of 10

I think it’s a good looking rainsuit.  I like the variety of colors – we don’t all need to be going Gary Player just because the skies opened up.  In fact, looking at GB’s other offerings its nice to see even more color choices.   

Yes, the GB logo is there on the back, and along the front pocket – but its tasteful – you won’t look like a walking billboard.   You won’t hesitate to wear this product anytime you are out in the rain on or off the course – you aren’t limited to golf only.  I point this out because SheWhoMustBeObeyed often complains I look like I bought my entire wardrobe in a proshop.  

It is very sleek looking – standing up.  I’ll get to the "puffiness" factor below.  But it looks sleek and modern. 

Fit and Comfort 15 out of 20

I struggle with where to score this so I split it 5 out of 10 on fit, and 10 out of 10 on comfort.  Let me explain. 

I asked for and was send a medium. I’m a medium in everything I wear – shirts, quarter zips, sweaters, etc.  I’m a 15 ½ neck and 31 sleeve in a dress shirt and a size 40 regular in a suit jacket.  I didn’t think twice when I ordered a medium.    I have since gone back to the Galway Bay web site and they have a “What’s My Size”  fitting helper.  While it came back recommending a Medium, it also notes it notes it will be “slightly loose” in the chest; where as if I select a Small it says “ideal fit” in the chest.  Well, it was more than just slightly loose.  You'll see in the pictures below it was very loose on me in the chest and belly area.

Screenshot2023-10-26at5_35_54PM.png.84b3b958275a9a3e7d4bec6b16e134b5.png  Screenshot2023-10-26at5_36_07PM.png.d663fe334aee742b5e6d18769f968220.png Screenshot2023-10-26at5_34_32PM.png.fbe9f5fb120f2aaac089c0edb64b38ee.png

IMG_4944.JPG.ac7b1bb20d717d3b361a1f24df52896f.JPGI’ll confess to Operator Error.  If I had purchased this jacket myself, I would be sending it back to exchange for a small.  It's just too “pooofy” around the chest and belly area.  We discovered that first on the full swing speed test.  That Poof doesn't bother me with a full swing – but it does with the short shots and putter.   The jacket definitely gets in the way with the putter in hand.  See more here

IMG_4950.JPG.bd7c1a45326fa4b50c805a12dba49874.JPG

As you can see here, it is narrower at the shoulders than at the waist.   With my body type I’m wider at the shoulders than the waist.  I'm not hanging anything over my belt... I understand not everyone is.  But buyers need to think about that.  Unlike almost every other jacket you own, you are going to spend a considerable amount of time bent at the waist.   I mentioned in speed test post – my ProQuip jacket has some velcro straps you can use to tighten up this chest, midsection area.  No such option with GB. I wish there was

But when it comes to comfort – the jacket is flawless.  It is extremely lightweight.  It passes the Breathability test with flying colors.  It is not warm – so you may need to layer up in the spring or fall, but you’ll be fine in the summer.   If you are carrying your bag on your shoulders – you’ll perspire there a bit – as you normally would – but it doesn’t cause any water to leak through.  Video of the bag carry, and what may shoulders looked like are found here

The pants fit true to size for me, and wear well.  It is a different concept – always on rain pants.  I’m used to stuffing them in my bag and using them as needed.  But if you think there is the slightest chance of rain, you’ll be fine wearing these all day.  Again, I’m a walker and I wore these several days without rain.  Very comfortable.  Not like shorts, but you are not going to overheat.  Though I'm a walker, when I got into my car after the round there was no bleed though from being wet on the outside. 

On Course  15 out of 20

I dropped 5 points because it absolutely affects my putting.  You may want to ignore that and say “hey dummy I’ll get the correct size” – or “not a problem for me because I will fill it out more” – so feel free to make that mental correction. 

But for me it absolutely impacts my putting – would sometimes catch the butt end of the putter.  Again, a smaller size might be better. 

ScreenShot2023-10-05at12_27_48PM.png.531f3a97155cbaaf2ec35584f37bad2b.png.65958a8eba0dc96604a3aa343046aee6.pngHowever – while the “poof” gets in the way of my putter – it does not hinder a full shot, nor does it impose any flexibility issues.  I used my Mevo+ and compared my swingspeed with the jacket, and other rain jackets, clothing etc – bottom line, my full swings were just fine, I swung just as fast with the GB rain jacket on as I did with it off, so it passes the test on a full shot. No problems or restrictions in my shoulders, sleeves or the turn.  Full details on the speed test are found here.

The Good, the Bad, the In-Between 20 out of 20 

Good, Bad, InBetween is the MGS term – but I’m calling this section “Did it keep me dry” and that gets 20 out of 20.  It absolutely does the job.  I used a push cart, I carried my bag, It was a monsoon.  I stayed dry.   The water just beads up and sheets right off.   I’ve got a bunch of video at this post.  No water got in at my neck –  my bucket hat stayed outside the collar.  I expressed concern at the unboxing that the tapered legs may end up letting water get into my shoe – nope, feet stayed dry. My phone in my pocket stayed dry.  Water did not find away in anywhere.  My hands are obviously wet, but thats the way rain gloves work. 

I'm not sure what it is about these new technical materials that are used - but you look dry.  Because the water is beading up and sheeting off, you look dry.  Other jackets and clothes often darken up or look soaked.  Not the case here.

If I had a suggestion for Galway Bay – some of us good use a good water proof beanie for when playing in the rain and the cold.  Gotta be a way to do that, right?

Play it or Trade it  15 out of 20

I struggle with this one – I like the texture, the light weight nature, the breathability, the 100% water proof – it’s the fit that bothers me.  I wore the jacket the other day with no rain, just to have a light jacket in the cool morning, and I took it off after two hole because my putter caught on the seem.   If I had a smaller size I think it would be a keeper.  I’m impressed enough with the quality that I’ve been looking longingly at GB’s website at their all season jacket as we are down in the 40s here and I’d prefer that to layers.  Of course, I’d order a smaller size. 

GB’s website says they have free exchanges and returns – so I think someone purchasing this on their own would be safe – if it doesn’t fit right by all means return it asap.  You want a correct fit. 

Conclusion 85 out of 100 

I don’t think anyone will be disappointed by the Galway Bay rain gear.  It absolutely does what it is supposed to do.  It will keep you dry.  You will stay dry.  It is flexible and won’t slow down your swing.  It's breathable and lightweight.   Just be smarter than I am about size, use their “what’s my size” guide and don’t take for granted what you usually wear; and if you get it wrong send it back.  But once you have the right size you’ll be very happy.  

Edited by WaffleHouseTour
Introduction, UnBoxing, Final review

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Well G'day to everyone, I'm Eugene Gallacher so you can see I got very original with my user name, ok not really, it was an off day when I joined.
Firstly I'd like to thank MGS and Galway Bay for giving me this opportunity to test out the rain gear, especially hailing from over the pond as a member. I'm eagerly awaiting for my shipment to arrive which is somewhere between the US and the UK, although the current weather has me thinking "who wants to test raingear?"

golf.jpg.6fe594d0b520967d1b9eb9b7a1513e7a.jpg

You'll all be pleased to know the forecast is rain over the next few weeks. Hey at least I won't have to jump in the shower to test them out.

About Me

I'm 52 years young, married with 2 daughters and live in Brighton UK. A fun fact is I'm Scottish with an Irish father, my wife is Welsh and my 2 daughters were born in England and we all have Australian citizenship. I'm an engineer by default and currently the general manager for a manufacturing company that designs instrumentation for the geotechnical, civil and structural engineering sector.
I love sport of all kinds especially (other than golf obviously) football (I'm not saying soccer, sorry guys) and no not the American kind 1. NFL is not football, 2. NFL is not football and 3. NFL is not football, the throwing part kind of gives it away. I'll stop now.

My Golf

Been playing golf since I was 8 (dad was a big golf nut so must be in the genes) and played all through my school years as a junior, took a break when I went to university, all that studying got in the way (maybe girls did too, LOL). Started again in my early twenties and really got serious when I lived in Australia, what can I say the Sandbelt area of Melbourne is blessed with great courses (was a member of Kingston Heath), oh and the weather helped getting my handicap down to 7.4. Moved back to the UK 2012 and here's the kicker, didn't play any golf for the next 10 years so only been back playing for the last 8-9 months. Played with a friend and gave myself a 15 handicap which seemed to work out about right and I've stupidly set myself the goal of handicap 5 by 60; I'm off 9.2. Will I get there, who knows and honestly I don't really mind, it's the trying that counts. Current track is Singing Hills, a lovely 27 hole course with 3 distinct 9 holes (Lake, River & Valley), just north of Brighton and I play every weekend, at least once and get out for 9 midweek, most weeks.
I do all my own club work, regripping & reshafting. Bit of tinkerer at heart.

The Test/Review

1. How to test - hopefully playing golf in the rain, but as said will jump in the shower and my wife has volunteered to soak me with a hose (wants to more like). I'll get creative if needed so will use when walking the dog. I also want to see how they go as cold and wind protection without need to layer too much.
2. Comparisons - they'll be put up against my other stock brands, you know the ones that look like you're wearing garbage bags. My course has Toptracer Range so will will do a distance & dispersion compare on the Galway Bay vs other raingear and my normal clothing to see if they restrict swing, etc.
3. Will they stay after testing - for sure if they work, if they are easy to wash and keep waterproof, if they look as cool in real life as the pictures.
4. Why did I want to test - not a fan of current raingear, they look like garbage bags and I like to look cool when I golf. The pants intrigued me as they state they are normal pants for everyday golf, not something you have pull on when the rain starts. Breathability is a big factor I want to explore, lets face it you're dressed for golf and then it rains and you pull on the gear and end up sweating like a dog on heat.
5. Product knowledge - I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of Galway Bay. They don't come up in searches for raingear here in the UK or maybe I'm just to old to use the internet properly.
6. Expectations - high having now down some research on the product and brand. I don't want them to be just like all the other brands, I'm expecting better.

Anyway I'll keep you all posted and I can't believe I'm going to say this but let the rain begin..... fun times ahead.

EugeGall

Finally - Unboxing, First Impressions and First Use

Well after waiting what felt like a lifetime (reminded me of being a kid waiting for Christmas) they arrived last Friday. Not sure if this was a fault with UPS or UK customs or just the fact the golfing Gods knew I didn't really need them as the weather is so not rainwear use just now in the UK. However, I had taken the day off to play so I was keen to get going.

Small box with the jacket and pants neatly package in their own branded bag and gloves in usual branded sleeve.

Rainwear2.jpg.0aadc0a97e670b1caf5f7838720b20ab.jpg Rainwear3.jpg.40fc4be85285365aa1532989e43d812a.jpg Rainwear5.jpg.6058ccb2e6f71d5996fc9bf715bb9cd7.jpg 

Jacket

First take on the jacket I really liked the look and feel of the material - more silver colour than just plain dull grey, with a smooth statin feel. It looked like any water would just run off. I also have a thing about touching textures that are a little sandpaper like, that some waterproofs can have - similar to touching a terracotta pot can give me shivers so big plus on the material.

Aesthetically pleasing with the detailing of "Galway Bay" subtle on the breast pocket and left cuff. The pocket zips have a drawcord attached which look like they will make usage easier, although I'll be honest and say I tend not to use the pockets on a jacket. The cuffs had the usual Velcro adjustment. The waist has drawstring adjustment which some may find useful if they want a more fitted feel so I'll see how that goes over time.

Rainwear6.jpg.ea1af447929765ce31e048e9b9a5236f.jpg Rainwear8.jpg.40879d9e912cab54cc69108d7619d89f.jpg

Over the coming weeks/months (I need rain, ok the shower will do)) I'll compare against my other rainwear. On looks and feel alone it's up there with my current top/jacket

Rainwear1.jpg.0237c0e9ed7627adb80759e14b5437e3.jpg This has the normal Goretex fabric so I'm curious to see how the Galway Bay Hydro-Flex material compares.

Pants

Straight out of the packet they just looked as stated, normal golf pants - not the garbage bags I currently have. Big plus on this!! Again subtle detailing on the right pocket.

Rainwear10.jpg.31540501cb352362137aa34941cc7673.jpg Rainwear11.jpg.215c4adad5e6f9a3a9d797edc0889c09.jpg

The 2 rear pockets have magnetic closures unlike the normal Velcro system - there was no flap so it will be interesting to see how this copes in the rain, but the magnet I thought was a nice touch. Nice tapered cut to the leg and the grey colour just shouted smart!! These pants tick the box for me in all counts so far.

On The Course

As I said I was playing on Friday so I thought no time like the present to put these into practice.  I had planned on wearing the Adidas trousers shown in the picture. Side by side you'd be hard pressed to pick the rain pants.

Rainwear13.jpg.71920a939e67a4dd589623c1c958a157.jpg

The weather was nice 70F with no rain in sight, but what the heck I was curious to see if they could cross over into everyday use.  Although as you can see from the picture the jacket did make me feel a little hot.

Rainwear12.jpg.158f9901d587560809c8053649994d3c.jpg I battled on for 2 holes and had to remove it. Not that I found that it made me sweat, it just wasn't the conditions for a jacket. Although I would say this bodes well for the future when it starts to cool off. On the limited shots I did hit with the full gear I found it didn't impact my swing in any way, but it's early days and it wasn't wet.

The pants worn alone for the rest of the round worked just as I hoped - no different to normal golf wear. No rustling sound, no sweating caused and comfortable to wear. Again I'll be curious to see how they fair as the cooler, wetter weather kicks in by I have high hopes so far.

What About The Gloves??

Rainwear4.jpg.1e6e884af74bb4f8ec4f0cec10feff5b.jpg

The gloves have a suede feel to the fingers and palm I assume for traction when wet and a stretch fabric to the top. The fit is spot on compared to my everyday glove and the quality looks good. Given the current weather I'm going to have to get creative on testing these over the coming days - thinking of spray bottle and then towelling down, similar to non rain glove when playing in the rain.

Come to think of it I'm going to have to get creative with all the gear, but at least I can do the comparison vs other brands and dry weather clothing to see if they restrict play before the heavens open.

So far so good - 1st impressions get a big thumbs up from me 👍.

Final Review

First Impressions (9 out of 10)
Out of the box and unpacking I have to say the Galway Bay rainwear just looked cool, especially in the grey colour chosen. As I said above I went with the Ultimate Gray Hawthorn II Rain Jacket in a small and the Seagrove II Chino Rain Pant in Gray, size 30x32 (come to think of it should the colour really read "Grey"). The fit was spot on in the jacket and if I'm being picky maybe slightly too long in the leg for my 5'8" and 140lbs frame. Compared to other golf clothing I would say the sizing is on a "par" with what I'm used to. The material has a soft, smooth texture that's almost a cross between silky and satiny (are those are real words, but hopefully you know what I mean). As I said above I have an icky feeling when touching some textures so these were cool.

Jacket: There are two Velcro tabs along the main zipper which is pretty standard and also on the wrist cuffs to size appropriately. There are draw strings built into the bottom of the jacket to tighten around the waist for those who require the need. The collar is tapered around the neck line for comfort which I particularly appreciated as I don't like anything rubbing against my facial hair. The pockets have strings attached for easier opening/closing, I suppose which is useful as I found these to be on the tight side to use (was the tight pocket zips a feature of GB making these more waterproof??). There is the go to breast pocket that whilst very traditional I just find totally useless, I mean does anyone really carry a scorecard in there. Come to think of it I don't use any of the pockets, but that may just be me.
What really jumped out at me was the lack of weight in the this jacket, you barley notice you have it on.

Pants:  Now GB state “These unlined pants have the same sleek look and feel as traditional golf pants" and I have to say they are accurate with this description. Compared to my usual Adidas pants it's hard to say which are the rainwear. They have a slim tapered fit and for sure could be used as your every day golf pant as they don't scream rain pant. I have to say GB got these spot on as I hate wearing my "garbage bag" over the top ones. The rear pockets have magnetic closures which I found a little odd given they are rain pants, unlike the usual flap on my other brands, to keep the water out so wasn't sure how this would work so this was where I took the one point off my score.

Gloves: Got these in a size small and the fit was accurate and similar to my usual glove size. The design was nice with a big GB logo on top and the quality of the stitching appeared good. I wasn't too sure what to expect of these as I don't use rain gloves, but more on that later.

Aesthetics (10 out of 10)
What's not like about the look of this setup. The colour is cool, the logos are subtle and the jacket is already my goto on and off the course. Even my wife pointed out the jacket was pretty snazzy and that takes some doing for her to even notice what I'm wearing as she hates my usual loud or typical golf attire, so that's a big thumbs up to GB.

Fit & Comfort (18 out of 20)
As I have already said fit was similar to my normal clothing and the Hydro-Flex 32 material is super light weight and breathable. Given the unusual good weather lately I was concerned that like other rainwear these would be like sweatboxes, but how ever GB have achieved it this is not the case with their jacket and pants. If I don't notice something when wearing it then in my book it passes the comfort test, however if I'm being picky I would have liked to have the option of a draw string around the lower rib area just to pinch it in slightly, so for me 2 marks lost there. As the weather gets colder the light weight will make layering a breeze - yes I wear leggings on bottom and base layer on top when the temperature drops - I'm a wuss when it gets cold. The GB website points out the clothing is rated for 45 to 70 degrees and amazingly I have already tested these 2 extremes with flying colours on the positive side.

On-Course (17 out of 20)
This was obviously the main part of the review for me. Ok so they look good, the fit was spot on and yes they are comfortable to wear, but do they work and can you play in them. Overall it's a big Yes and Yes (well maybe).
The jacket and pants in no way hampered my swing and my scoring was on a par compared to playing in non-rainwear. The slight swish when swinging was a blessing compared to the rustle I get in my other rainwear so I would say the GB get a plus for me in this regard. Not that my other gear hampers my swing it's just the distracting sound that gets into my head. Whilst it never really rained hard/heavy during my testing there was certainly enough to give these a good soak test. The water just appeared to bead and run off and my clothing underneath remained perfectly dry. Given the pants are worn as traditional ones I was pleasantly surprised that I could wear these on the drive home after a wet round without taking water with me. I'd never do this with my over the top ones.
Now this were I'm going to point out the following could just be user error (or the fool using more like). The gloves, given I never wear rain gloves, I wasn't sure about. The grip when wet gave me little confidence, but if I towelled off it improved, but not close enough to what I'm used to - I keep my glove, hands and grips pretty dry when it rains. Plus I'm not a fan of a glove on my right hand, it just feels wrong. So it could be harsh that I'm marking down for my failings more than the actual gloves themselves.

The Good, the bad, the in-between (20 out of 20)
Good - the jacket and pants just screamed quality and not only from a golf viewpoint. The jacket is now my wear to work it's that nice. The pants are as comfy as an old pair of slippers (and that's in a good way). They both keep you dry as required and my dog is voting yes as I wear them to walk him in the wet. The dog may even have the casting vote.
Bad - the gloves as I've already said this could just be me, but I just wouldn't bother and stick to my usual set up.
There is no in-between and the good more than outweighs any bad.

Play It or Trade It (20 out of 20)
This, even as I'm typing is the hardest section. Yes the rainwear meets all my criteria; they kept me dry, they looked cool, the quality was 2nd to none, I can wear it on and off the course, my dog loves them, my wife gave them a thumbs up. However the setup is around the $500 mark and that's pricey for what is just something to keep you dry. Yes I'm lucky that I got picked to test and I tried to work out would I pay that for them. I wanted to be honest to the other MGS members in this who hopefully will read. After some internal head wrangling all I kept coming back to is you get what you pay for and so they just tick all the boxes - a big and truthful PLAY IT!!

Conclusion
I'll be honest and say I hate playing in the rain (who does??), even to the point I'll avoid it. You know what not anymore, I've got my Galway Bays. I now say huh rain, well bring it on, not only do they keep you dry, but you'll look a million dollars while doing it. These are not rainwear, they are just my part of my everyday golf attire. So do yourself a favour and head over to the Galway Bay website and grab some good looking and great quality golf clothing. Don't pray for no rain, just play knowing you've got yourself covered.
Finally a big thank you to Galway Bay and MyGolfSpy for making me play in (and pray for) rain. Who'd have thought that was ever possible.

Final Score (94 out of 100)

Edited by EugeGall
Updated for final review

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Hi all MGS members and thanks for choosing me to do this test! j I'm Alan, love getting out and playing golf as much as possible with some luck in weather this year seems like I have been able to play ever weekend from the beginning of the new year! Not much snow this year(Yeah)! I'm a home remodeler, I own my own business so getting away to golf is a little easier for me. I usually practice every day as I have room in my basement to hit balls and putt! This year I can say is the most golf I have played  in my lifetime and find myself wanting to play more! Really looking forward to trying out the Galway Bay gear as I don't like wearing alot of layers of clothing when playing golf! The great things about this test is I can wear this when practicing ,  on the course and just wearing them in my everyday life to stay comfortable and dry!  Also when asked to go to Galway web site and get the sizes they need, I stayed around and researched the products! I'm 52 and when someone says rain gear I'm thinking apperal that goes over your clothes,  this is not the case which really im all for as I don't like to wear much when playing golf and other sports. Can't wait till Thursday September 21 as this when I'm supposed to receive my package 

Final Review: First Impressions 10 out of 10. Fit and comfort 20 out of 20 and Aesthetician 10 out of 10: I'm very pleased with the look and feel of the Galway Bay rain gear,  and when I say rain gear that's an understatement as this outfit is very stylish and can be worn off the course as well. Keeps you dry as well as warm.  You don't have to wear alot of clothes underneath as these are designed to be the outfit! The fit is outstanding as it like wearing a normal golf outfit. I worn the jacket to a family function and got a few compliments. The jacket is my go to on any day.

On the course  18-20:

It performed well on the course very comfortable, better than all other outfits i wear, when I have to wear pants. The gloves did give me a concern when worn without rain, just cold. I didn't have the grip I got when they were wet, as I worn them wet with a 30 year old club with a bad grip and no slipping. 

The good, the bad 19 out 20: Liked the way it keeps me dry which is one less thing to worry about when playing or watching a sporting event.  Though I wish you could adjust the pants and not have to wear a belt. Also they should have a way to size for the gloves to get the right size. I do recommend wearing the gloves around the house to break them in.

Play it or trade it 20 out of 20: Worth every penny comfort and style on the pants and jacket are incredible. 

Final score 97 out of 100

Conclusion: If looking for a rain gear to buy this is the one to get. Pants and jacket can be worn as stand alone or with some warm weather gear like long underwear underneath when temperatures get low. I did this and removed the long underwear after a few holes as I live in the Midwest and we sometimes get different seasons in one day! I suggested the gloves having some type of measuring device.  Since I received the gear I don't have to worry about the weather when I'm going out to play.  I received the Hawthorn II golf rain jacket, Seagrove II chino rain paints and the golf rain gloves. Also like to apologize to the Galway Bay company for miss pronouncing the name in my video!

IMG_2891(2).jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

20231025_191609.jpg

20231025_191602.jpg

20231025_191533.jpg

20231025_191526.jpg

20231025_191518.jpg

20231025_191513.jpg

20231025_165050.jpg

20231025_165044.jpg

20231025_165040.jpg

20231025_165034.jpg

20231102_173156.jpg

20231102_173128.jpg

20231102_173119.jpg

20231102_172856_resized.jpg

20231102_172852_resized.jpg

20231102_172900.jpg

20231102_172657.jpg

20231102_172647.jpg

Edited by Alan Scalzi
Adding unboxing

Alan Scalzi 

Our wet weather testers have been selected! 

Excited to see how this works out for them... maybe even more so if it doesnt rain!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Congratulations testers, hope the weather gods are in your favour when you want to go and play!😀

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - SW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore  52deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

Congratulations Testers!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Congrats testers!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I just had a round of golf in what was claimed, even for Ireland, a substantial downpour not seen very often. I wore my Galway Bay pants for the very fist time. I went through two major brand name rain jackets and was soaked on my upper body. My Galway Bay pants kept my lower body completely dry. I couldn't believe the difference and how well they worked. I have since bought a Galway Bay rain jacket after arriving back in the States. 

I hope the testers get to play (sorry) in the same weather conditions I had in Ireland for a proper review.

I am sold on my new Galway Bay purchases. They really are water proof and very comfortable.

Edited by Hogzy
Missed letter

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Our wet weather testers have been selected! 

Excited to see how this works out for them... maybe even more so if it doesnt rain!

I can't wait to test this gear out.  My current rain gear is noisy and somewhat bulky, but it does a decent job at keeping you dry.  @GolfSpy_APH and yes, I have some testing planned just in case it doesn't rain!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

13 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Please welcome and congratulate our testers!

@WaffleHouseTour

@jdparker

@EugeGall

@Alan Scalzi

@GolferXY

Congrats testers.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Congratulations testers. I’m looking for a new rain jacket for sure and this brand is certainly on my radar. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Congrats testers! 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Congratulations testers!  Put them in your bag, don’t check the forecast, and head straight to the course….come what may🌧️

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

Congratulations to the testers. May you enjoy playing in the rain and staying dry. No rain in the forecast, the garden hose will be a good substitute. Have fun. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Congratulations testers! Hope you stay warm and dry in your new threads! Looking forward to your reports on breathability, flexibility, and comfort…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

Congrats Testers!

image.gif.64851f5204a3f87aea52b4a8a1960145.gif

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Good luck, testers! If there is no rain in the forecast, I fully expect a simulation with a water hose or sprinkler. Have fun!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---