Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedges vs irons or the difference.

Christof

Hello

I have the Wilson D9 irons with the KBS max ultra lite and the Cleveland RTX 5-6 wedges with the Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex. For 1 reason or another I always have a better feeling with the wedges than with the irons, I don't quite know how to put it, feels more like 1 unit with the arms and body, the difference I feel is that the weight with the wedges is more from below or lower. I find that exactly more pleasant, I have a wilson wedges with Dynamic Gold 120 S300 feels lighter the weight is also distributed differently, does feel good anyway is that so does feel good but miss something, then Cleveland takes hold feels exactly right immediately too. Is this the case with everyone that the wedges feel different from irons? Or do I have the wrong irons or is the difference in the shaft?

Greetings
Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

It sounds like you are describing a difference in swing weights. Try adding lead tape to one of the irons to see if that helps. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

8 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello

I have the Wilson D9 irons with the KBS max ultra lite and the Cleveland RTX 5-6 wedges with the Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex. For 1 reason or another I always have a better feeling with the wedges than with the irons, I don't quite know how to put it, feels more like 1 unit with the arms and body, the difference I feel is that the weight with the wedges is more from below or lower. I find that exactly more pleasant, I have a wilson wedges with Dynamic Gold 120 S300 feels lighter the weight is also distributed differently, does feel good anyway is that so does feel good but miss something, then Cleveland takes hold feels exactly right immediately too. Is this the case with everyone that the wedges feel different from irons? Or do I have the wrong irons or is the difference in the shaft?

Greetings
Christof

I think the difference is the shaft and club setup. The KBS max ultra lite are probably in the 80 gram rand and teh DG shafts are 120.  That is a huge difference when transitioning between clubs and probably messes up what you feel.   You probably need to look at 120 gram shafts for your irons.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have the same feeling throughout the bag. 

you have a big difference in weight between the wedge sand irons. Also different shaft design. Not surprised there’s a difference in the feel.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 10/15/2023 at 5:28 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

It sounds like you are describing a difference in swing weights. Try adding lead tape to one of the irons to see if that helps. 

Good day Hook DeLoft

Yes swing weight, yes that could be it, I'm not that into golf technical terms. Of lead tape, I myself have never heard of it. Yes maybe is try once. 
You stick that on the back of the irons?

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

On 10/15/2023 at 11:38 PM, cnosil said:

I think the difference is the shaft and club setup. The KBS max ultra lite are probably in the 80 gram rand and teh DG shafts are 120.  That is a huge difference when transitioning between clubs and probably messes up what you feel.   You probably need to look at 120 gram shafts for your irons.  

Good day cnosil

Amai that's 40 grams, yes then is looking back at it when I go to do a fitting, good to know. On 28.10.23 I have a fitting testing Taylormade at the club, I can also see what they have to say.
But the difference in weight does that have anything to do with flex stiffness? 

Christof

4 minutes ago, Christof said:

No, shaft weight and flex are independent.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, Christof said:

Good day Hook DeLoft

Yes swing weight, yes that could be it, I'm not that into golf technical terms. Of lead tape, I myself have never heard of it. Yes maybe is try once. 
You stick that on the back of the irons?

https://www.amazon.com/lead-tape/s?k=lead+tape

stick it on the back of the irons.  Adding 2 grams to the head increases swing weight by 1 point. 

On 10/15/2023 at 11:42 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I have the same feeling throughout the bag. 

you have a big difference in weight between the wedge sand irons. Also different shaft design. Not surprised there’s a difference in the feel.

Good day RickyBobby_PR

Ok then I am not alone after all, I do find it annoying, I take the RTX feel hold a club and the swing feels good, at the irons is good but doesn't feel the same as with the irons, going from irons to wedges is always Difficult exactly a different rhythm I have to apply. As Consil says 40gram is too big a difference.

Christof

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

No, shaft weight and flex are independent.

OK then I know that again, it's not all simple. 
Thanks
Christof

29 minutes ago, cnosil said:

https://www.amazon.com/lead-tape/s?k=lead+tape

stick it on the back of the irons.  Adding 2 grams to the head increases swing weight by 1 point. 

Okay, I just saw, my irons have a swing weight of D1, my wedges 48° D3 and 54°-58°-62° D5, my fairways have D3.  Then I have to tape on my irons already 4 grams of tape for having to tape to D3.
Thanks for the information.

Christof

1 hour ago, Christof said:

Okay, I just saw, my irons have a swing weight of D1, my wedges 48° D3 and 54°-58°-62° D5, my fairways have D3.  Then I have to tape on my irons already 4 grams of tape for having to tape to D3.
Thanks for the information.

Christof

For some swingweight is important but overall weight ks as important if not more. If you get overal weight fright then swing weight will be fine.

my wedges are d5-6 and my irons typically d1-2. But the overall weight in my irons plays similar to the wedges so I get the same feeling 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

OK I haven't actually weighed that yet, I can do that is.

Hello 

I weighed my club is, though with a kitchen scale. I don't know if the differences in weight are too big for lead tape on or not? I also don't know 50grams is a big difference or not.

Greetings
Christof

image.png.9b963f0c6ec4cbcc6bc9a855e7af23e5.png

image.png.4db75dc86f1a85973640050338e2d468.png

On 10/15/2023 at 11:38 PM, cnosil said:

On 10/17/2023 at 9:59 PM, Christof said:

Good day cnosil

Amai that's 40 grams, yes then is looking back at it when I go to do a fitting, good to know. On 28.10.23 I have a fitting testing Taylormade at the club, I can also see what they have to say.

Christof

Hello Cnosil and anyone else reading it.

I did a Taylormade fitting today, irons only, Club turned out to be the P790 with an Elevate MPH R-flex 95 Steel Iron Shaft. Felt good though, was pleasant to hit, felt more like 1 hit. I still had a Nippon shaft the N.S.PRO 950GH neo and one of the Dynamic Gold models also tried think a stiff am not sure, with the trackman results and my physical problems the Elevate MPH R-flex 95 came out best, it was between the Nippon and Elevate, the Elavate results better and difference that the tip is slightly heavier and felt better to me. I also tried the Stealth club that was nothing at all.

Christof