Maltby TS1 im irons

Tcswan5871

@Tcswan5871 I ordered a set after testing out the TS1-IM 7 iron so they are currently being built. My thoughts were that it performed similarly on center strikes to the TS3 and TE+ V4 irons from Maltby (which I also tested) but was more forgiving out on the toe which is where I miss it. It is *slightly* and I do mean slightly lower spinning than the other two BUT it launches higher so it still has good stopping power. I am coming from the Ben Hogan PTxPro irons which are also tungsten toe irons (only through the 7 iron) and I found the TS1-IM to be easier to hit. They also get through the turf well despite having a narrower sole (I am fairly steep coming into the ball so that is important for me). 

Things you may not like if you haven't seen Maltby irons in person before: The length of the head is slightly longer than most "players" irons. That is a maltby design principle. It was a little strange at first but I have gotten used to it. They are quite understated (I like that), don't have much offset and top line is slim-ish. For some people (like me) those are all good things. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Also, as a side note, Maltby is JAMMED right now with orders. Specifically for the TS1-IM. When I called in my order (it was fairly custom in a few ways) the sales manager was like "by the way, where did you hear about the TS1-IM....we are getting flooded with orders the past two weeks." I assume the majority of it is due to @azstu324's efforts to get the clubs into the hands of Let's Play Thru's YouTube channel and social media did the rest. They really are a very well made product for the money if you can get over needing to have brand name equipment. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Saw the Bat signal 😜

I'm not sure whether to say "that's awesome".. or to sincerely apologize to everyone for the potential log jam at GW. 😬

Hopefully long-term this will be positive for everyone 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Saw the Bat signal 😜

I'm not sure whether to say "that's awesome".. or to sincerely apologize to everyone for the potential log jam at GW. 😬

Hopefully long-term this will be positive for everyone 

I see it as an absolute win. I was going to order Gigagolfs irons until you pointed me in the direction of Maltby which is going to be my next big Golf Purchase. Definitely still want the KE4 Max's. You are helping golfers dig deeper into the DTC game.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

33 minutes ago, Tcswan5871 said:

I currently play the malt by mmb-17 forged blades and trying to decide between the TS4 and the TS1 im 

Owning both sets, I am partial to the TS4's. That said, the differences are probably subtle but I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to nit-pick on the differences. 

I'd say if you liked the mmb's, imagine everything you wished was better about them, and that will be the TS4's. 

The IM's are a different animal so if you're looking for a fresh new look and feel, you can't go wrong there either. 

I'd say the TS4's edge out the IM's in overall function and performance. Forgiveness IMO is splitting hairs but maybe that goes to the IM's. 

Looks are a dead draw but for different reasons in their respective categories. They both look stunning for the type of club that they are. 

Feel, again is a draw for the type of clubs that they are. I personally prefer the feel of the TS4's but the IM's still feel ridiculously good! The TS4's are more of a buttery thud that you'll only feel with the purest of quality forged blades. The IM's are more springy and lively feeling but still have some of that pure feeling forged DNA. 

I'm finding distances on well struck shots are almost the same regardless of loft differences. The TS4 actually carries further for me but stops quicker. Both do very well respectively on off-center strikes but maybe the IM's distance loss and feeling is a hair better when struck out of the toe. 

Ultimately it's just a matter of what you're looking for out of your next set. Both deliver exceptionally in their categories. 

Good luck! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2024 at 11:51 AM, vandyland said:

@Tcswan5871 I ordered a set after testing out the TS1-IM 7 iron so they are currently being built. My thoughts were that it performed similarly on center strikes to the TS3 and TE+ V4 irons from Maltby (which I also tested) but was more forgiving out on the toe which is where I miss it. It is *slightly* and I do mean slightly lower spinning than the other two BUT it launches higher so it still has good stopping power. I am coming from the Ben Hogan PTxPro irons which are also tungsten toe irons (only through the 7 iron) and I found the TS1-IM to be easier to hit. They also get through the turf well despite having a narrower sole (I am fairly steep coming into the ball so that is important for me). 

Things you may not like if you haven't seen Maltby irons in person before: The length of the head is slightly longer than most "players" irons. That is a maltby design principle. It was a little strange at first but I have gotten used to it. They are quite understated (I like that), don't have much offset and top line is slim-ish. For some people (like me) those are all good things. 

Can I ask, it there an actual testing program with them or you just ordered a 7i alone before building the whole set?

14 hours ago, feenhiks said:

Can I ask, it there an actual testing program with them or you just ordered a 7i alone before building the whole set?

The latter. They do not have a demo program. I actually bought 3 different 7 irons which is not the most efficient process, I would agree. If you surf ebay you can sometimes find them.