Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Star Grips - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@BreakfastBall15 -Main Post

@LeakyValve - Main Post

@Alf. S - Main Post

@EugeGallMain Post

6 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

Did you just straight up blow air back down them to try and get em off? Also did you have tape on from a previous install??

Double sided tape fitted and used the Pure air gun. Just had an old golf towel to what I thought would help with pulling them off. With double sided tape you can as it turned out get an air trap forming which quickly became a balloon which popped or in my head was like a small nuclear bomb going off.

Single sided tape I used after this worked fine and would blow off easy. It’s just my current setup uses the double sided tape. 

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

9 hours ago, Shawn Breitzman said:

Used the Pure grips attachment,  I did purchase their gun, but found it screwed right into my other attachment so I use that mainly.  Also purchased a club shaft vice grip and am very careful to not over tighten. Here’s a few pictures,  looks similar enough I’m hoping to use the same attachment for my buddy when he gets his new grips from Star. The club shaft is a broken one that I’m showing what I normally do. Practice on the other side but it’s been thrown away now.  

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6665.jpeg

Sounds easy enough. I've gotta pick up a few things this weekend for the regripping as well as stuff for around the house so I'll definitely grab some of that tape. Tracking is showing the grips will be arriving Saturday so hopefully I can get to a few grips and out to the range this weekend.

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

35 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

Tracking update shows arrival tomorrow!! 

would anyone want to see some sort of live unboxing/first impression?

Absolutely!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

39 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I'm jealous! I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning checking my tracking updates!

Edited by BreakfastBall15

1 minute ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I'm jealous! I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning checking my tracking updates!

Cool go for a live unboxing I'm up for that

42 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I'm up for watching

:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

18 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

With Star's 3-year durability guarantee, I was curious how often do the testers usually swap their grips?

I usually do my main clubs every year, prior to the start of the season. Wedges, specifically my 56' might get gripped a couple of times, depending on wear.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

So I was curious and did some more research about Star Grip. It looks like they are either owned or operated by ARC Equipment (or at least somehow affiliated with them). ARC Equipment is a rubber injection molding company that "produces parts for aerospace, automotive, industrial watercraft, oil and gas, sporting goods, and other industries using a wide variety of polymers such as FKM, Silicone, Nitrile, SBR, EDPM, Natural Rubber plus other specialty materials". Being affiliated with a company specializing in rubber products, I am really looking forward to seeing how these grips feel and perform as well as the overall quality. 

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I got my set of orange in today and I love this process. I did my irons and hybrid in less than 30 minutes start to finish. 

Have enough to finish the bag but wedges are brand new and considering doing 3w and driver. 

20240314_200109.jpg.e4868fa44cc83deb0d2828e001cc06ab.jpg

Those are so sweet. I can’t wait for mine to get in

8 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I got my set of orange in today and I love this process. I did my irons and hybrid in less than 30 minutes start to finish. 

Have enough to finish the bag but wedges are brand new and considering doing 3w and driver. 

20240314_200109.jpg.e4868fa44cc83deb0d2828e001cc06ab.jpg

I really like the look of the orange! Great choice

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

5 minutes ago, FallenSaber said:

I really like the look of the orange! Great choice

I'm doing the pink on the club build. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Fantastic @Josh Parker !  vibrant!

Did you add any extra wraps underneath?

Will any of the testers be recording the removal/install process?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Just now, Rob Person said:

No additional wraps for me. 

53 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Planning either record or go live for the process when they come!!

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

Looking forward to seeing the results!

On 3/11/2024 at 11:04 PM, EugeGall said:

STAR GRIPS - OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW by EugeGall

Introduction

Howdy to my fellow Spies, I'm Eugene Gallacher so you can see I got very original with my username, well to be honest my creativity deserted me the day I joined.
Firstly I'd like to thank MGS and Star Grips for giving me this opportunity to test out their range of grips. Eagerly awaiting my shipment expected this Thursday and it just happens to be my birthday, so present is on its way, woohoo!!

I'm 52, married with 2 daughters and live in Brighton UK. A fun fact is I'm Scottish (Irish father), my wife is Welsh and my 2 daughters were born in England and we all have Australian citizenship. I'm an engineer by default and currently the general manager for a manufacturing company that designs instrumentation for the geotechnical, civil and structural engineering sector.

Been playing golf since I was 8 (dad was a big golf nut so must be in the genes) and played all through my school years as a junior. Work got in the way back in 2012 and so had a mad hiatus from playing up to around 15 months ago, joining my current track at Singing Hills, a lovely 27 hole course with 3 distinct 9 holes (Lake, River & Valley), north of Brighton. I play every weekend, at least once and get out for 9/18 midweek, most weeks. Currently playing off 9.
I do all my own club work, regripping & reshafting. Bit of tinkerer at heart.
golf.jpg.e3a66ce6d350265db76af80c6647cbcb.jpg

1. How to test – blow on with air and give them a good bash both at the range and course seeing how they stack up against my current grips which I’ve used for years. Going Tour Star 360 on  Driver/Woods; Sidewinder 360 with lower build up tape on Irons and Sidewinder 360 (no tape) on Wedges (can always blow off and add tape).
2. Comparisons – Up against GP Tour Velvet Plus4 on Driver and MCC Plus4 on Woods, Irons and Wedges looking at feel, durability and tackiness; how do they work wet/dry. Other than actual playing numbers will use Toptracer Range to see if they effect distance & dispersion against my gamers. Interested in the softness (Star) vs firmer (Sidewinder).
3. Will they stay after testing – unless they bomb on for the season to give them a good longevity test.
4. Why did I want to test – Big fan of Pure Grips so always curious about these, and who doesn’t like a good grip test. Was about to put on GP CPX so may compare to them as well. Also at almost half price to my current keen to see if they are value for money or just cheap. See the tight Scotsman always comes out.
5. Product knowledge – Star Grips always come up when looking just never pulled the pin.
6. Expectations - high given the current reviews, but they have to be a seamless addition to my bag.

CurrentGrip1.jpg.a9a64794d72390283951d805d1fff8da.jpg CurrentGrip2.jpg.cb5c6327ddffe7a00f0c1b042ae87092.jpg

Anyway I'll keep you all posted..... fun times ahead.

EugeGall.

Unboxing/First Impressions (9 out of 10)

Woohoo!!! They have arrived and I have to say pretty impressive delivery from Sweden) given I only submitted my specifics requirements a week ago.

On opening the package had the gun on top then a packaging layer and then the grips themselves all contained in 2 separate  clear bags for protection.

OpenBox1.jpg.d17976edc3f163b56af10b5be12535af.jpg OpenBox2.jpg.3b64196cefa4781216c364f29604b1ae.jpg

Now here was the really nice personal touch, the package included a letter from the owner of Star Grips Anders Dahlen, congratulating me on being selected as one of the MGS testers, that's pretty cool!!

StarLetter.jpg.f26bc3d14c95d579806d91e8f60b667e.jpg

I chose the Tour Star (Blue x4) and the Sidewinders (Green x6 and Orange x3) and I must say 1st looks I'm impressed with the colours.

Star1.jpg.3d3eaccb89f5fd5a3b3e57aa91eab21f.jpg

The Blue is a nice matt colour which I was hoping would be the case and not shiny like the GP Tour Wrap 2G. The Green and Orange are very bright which I like. Other than the obvious wrap vs the velvet like Sidewinder they both felt very similar in feel and equally soft. I was expecting the Sidewinder to be a little firmer to the touch. I like the soft touch. Both grips felt extremely tacky which I was hoping for, so big plus here. The Tour Star wrap is visibly noticeable to see and whilst you can feel it it's not too pronounced to the hands.

My 1st impression was always going to be based on what they are up against.

Current1.jpg.8e072483a1a1b43aebbd1a0de033c7a6.jpg

The Tour Velvet Plus4 is on my Driver, the MCC Plus 4 Align on my Woods & Hybrid and the MCC Plus4 on my Wedges.

Compare1.jpg.ca2be012de55bec9d95affd3ba400fd9.jpg

The Tour Star I'm fitting to the "woods" and comparing yes they are softer as expected, with much more tack. When I held the Tour Star, butt end in my left hand and tried to slide my right hand down the grip, it just stuck. Repeating this against the above 2 GP grips I got noticeably more movement in the right hand, especially on the Tour Velvet. Star Grips claim their grips to be very tacky as used by Fred Couples and since he doesn't wear a glove they must be and my basic 1st test has me agreeing.
The Tour Star comes as a reduced taper and I think this actually is more (less taper) so than the GP Plus4's.

Compare2.jpg.9047b11962fe157e41692245ac2eaafb.jpg

The Sidewinder I'm fitting to my irons (green plus tape) and wedges (orange no tape). Again the slide test showed a lot more grip on the Sidewinder compared to the GP grip, so all positive here. As a visual I would say it compares to the Tour Velvet, so good alternative if that's what you like.

Star Grips claim a weight tolerance of +/- 1 gram so how did my package weigh out.

Tour Star (blue spec 58g) - 2x grips 57g and 2x grips 59g so big tick for me.
Sidewinder (green spec 49g) - 5x grips 46g 1x grip 47g. All grips within tolerance of each other but as a bit light to spec I took 1 point off here. Yes I know a bit harsh, but overall very impressed.
Sidewinder (orange spec 47g) - 2x grips 48g 1x grip 47g. Again spot on.

Now the weight thing got me thinking, how do they compare to my current and will this make a difference - the Tour Velvet is 53g (spec of 52g), MCC Align is 52g (spec of 53g) and the MCC is 53g (spec of 52g).
Given the difference Tour Star when fitted to my woods (5-7g heavier) it would decrease SW by just over 1 point and on the Sidewinder on my irons/wedges (5-7g lighter) it would increase SW by just over 1 point. Ok I'm going to be honest and say I'm not good enough to notice, but then again it's a feel thing that I will look out for.

Last, but not least as these are going to be air fitted Star Grips include their air gun which looks pretty much like the old Pure Grips one I have so as expected, but the proof will be when used...more to come.

TheGun.jpg.da4125c10d207a68bd5339c8065b430e.jpg

Depending on the air fittings I have on my compressor I'll use the above complete, but as the most important part for me is the blue fitment that attaches to the grip I may have to put that on my old setup until I get the correct parts.

Follow up tomorrow on the big install... can't wait then off to the real testing. 

They have arrived and the unboxing complete... they do look very cool in the colours chosen if I say so myself.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:04 PM, EugeGall said:

STAR GRIPS - OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW by EugeGall

Introduction

Howdy to my fellow Spies, I'm Eugene Gallacher so you can see I got very original with my username, well to be honest my creativity deserted me the day I joined.
Firstly I'd like to thank MGS and Star Grips for giving me this opportunity to test out their range of grips. Eagerly awaiting my shipment expected this Thursday and it just happens to be my birthday, so present is on its way, woohoo!!

I'm 52, married with 2 daughters and live in Brighton UK. A fun fact is I'm Scottish (Irish father), my wife is Welsh and my 2 daughters were born in England and we all have Australian citizenship. I'm an engineer by default and currently the general manager for a manufacturing company that designs instrumentation for the geotechnical, civil and structural engineering sector.

Been playing golf since I was 8 (dad was a big golf nut so must be in the genes) and played all through my school years as a junior. Work got in the way back in 2012 and so had a mad hiatus from playing up to around 15 months ago, joining my current track at Singing Hills, a lovely 27 hole course with 3 distinct 9 holes (Lake, River & Valley), north of Brighton. I play every weekend, at least once and get out for 9/18 midweek, most weeks. Currently playing off 9.
I do all my own club work, regripping & reshafting. Bit of tinkerer at heart.
golf.jpg.e3a66ce6d350265db76af80c6647cbcb.jpg

1. How to test – blow on with air and give them a good bash both at the range and course seeing how they stack up against my current grips which I’ve used for years. Going Tour Star 360 on  Driver/Woods; Sidewinder 360 with lower build up tape on Irons and Sidewinder 360 (no tape) on Wedges (can always blow off and add tape).
2. Comparisons – Up against GP Tour Velvet Plus4 on Driver and MCC Plus4 on Woods, Irons and Wedges looking at feel, durability and tackiness; how do they work wet/dry. Other than actual playing numbers will use Toptracer Range to see if they effect distance & dispersion against my gamers. Interested in the softness (Star) vs firmer (Sidewinder).
3. Will they stay after testing – unless they bomb on for the season to give them a good longevity test.
4. Why did I want to test – Big fan of Pure Grips so always curious about these, and who doesn’t like a good grip test. Was about to put on GP CPX so may compare to them as well. Also at almost half price to my current keen to see if they are value for money or just cheap. See the tight Scotsman always comes out.
5. Product knowledge – Star Grips always come up when looking just never pulled the pin.
6. Expectations - high given the current reviews, but they have to be a seamless addition to my bag.

CurrentGrip1.jpg.a9a64794d72390283951d805d1fff8da.jpg CurrentGrip2.jpg.cb5c6327ddffe7a00f0c1b042ae87092.jpg

Anyway I'll keep you all posted..... fun times ahead.

EugeGall.

Unboxing/First Impressions (9 out of 10)

Woohoo!!! They have arrived and I have to say pretty impressive delivery from Sweden) given I only submitted my specifics requirements a week ago.

On opening the package had the gun on top then a packaging layer and then the grips themselves all contained in 2 separate clear bags for protection.

OpenBox1.jpg.d17976edc3f163b56af10b5be12535af.jpg OpenBox2.jpg.3b64196cefa4781216c364f29604b1ae.jpg

Now here was the really nice personal touch, the package included a letter from the owner of Star Grips Anders Dahlen, congratulating me on being selected as one of the MGS testers, that's pretty cool!!

StarLetter.jpg.f26bc3d14c95d579806d91e8f60b667e.jpg

I chose the Tour Star (Blue x4) and the Sidewinders (Green x6 and Orange x3) and I must say 1st looks I'm impressed with the colours.

Star1.jpg.3d3eaccb89f5fd5a3b3e57aa91eab21f.jpg

The Blue is a nice matt colour which I was hoping would be the case and not shiny like the GP Tour Wrap 2G. The Green and Orange are very bright which I like. Other than the obvious wrap vs the velvet like Sidewinder they both felt very similar in feel and equally soft. I was expecting the Sidewinder to be a little firmer to the touch. I like the soft touch. Both grips felt extremely tacky which I was hoping for, so big plus here. The Tour Star wrap is visibly noticeable to see and whilst you can feel it it's not too pronounced to the hands.

My 1st impression was always going to be based on what they are up against.

Current1.jpg.8e072483a1a1b43aebbd1a0de033c7a6.jpg

The Tour Velvet Plus4 is on my Driver, the MCC Plus 4 Align on my Woods & Hybrid and the MCC Plus4 on my Wedges.

Compare1.jpg.ca2be012de55bec9d95affd3ba400fd9.jpg

The Tour Star I'm fitting to the "woods" and comparing yes they are softer as expected, with much more tack. When I held the Tour Star, butt end in my left hand and tried to slide my right hand down the grip, it just stuck. Repeating this against the above 2 GP grips I got noticeably more movement in the right hand, especially on the Tour Velvet. Star Grips claim their grips to be very tacky as used by Fred Couples and since he doesn't wear a glove they must be and my basic 1st test has me agreeing.
The Tour Star comes as a reduced taper and I think this actually is more (less taper) so than the GP Plus4's.

Compare2.jpg.9047b11962fe157e41692245ac2eaafb.jpg

The Sidewinder I'm fitting to my irons (green plus tape) and wedges (orange no tape). Again the slide test showed a lot more grip on the Sidewinder compared to the GP grip, so all positive here. As a visual I would say it compares to the Tour Velvet, so good alternative if that's what you like.

Star Grips claim a weight tolerance of +/- 1 gram so how did my package weigh out.

Tour Star (blue spec 58g) - 2x grips 57g and 2x grips 59g so big tick for me.
Sidewinder (green spec 49g) - 5x grips 46g 1x grip 47g. All grips within tolerance of each other but as a bit light to spec I took 1 point off here. Yes I know a bit harsh, but overall very impressed.
Sidewinder (orange spec 47g) - 2x grips 48g 1x grip 47g. Again spot on.

Now the weight thing got me thinking, how do they compare to my current and will this make a difference - the Tour Velvet is 53g (spec of 52g), MCC Align is 52g (spec of 53g) and the MCC is 53g (spec of 52g).
Given the difference Tour Star when fitted to my woods (5-7g heavier) it would decrease SW by just over 1 point and on the Sidewinder on my irons/wedges (5-7g lighter) it would increase SW by just over 1 point. Ok I'm going to be honest and say I'm not good enough to notice, but then again it's a feel thing that I will look out for.

Last, but not least as these are going to be air fitted Star Grips include their air gun which looks pretty much like the old Pure Grips one I have so as expected, but the proof will be when used...more to come.

TheGun.jpg.da4125c10d207a68bd5339c8065b430e.jpg

Depending on the air fittings I have on my compressor I'll use the above complete, but as the most important part for me is the blue fitment that attaches to the grip I may have to put that on my old setup until I get the correct parts.

Follow up tomorrow on the big install... can't wait then off to the real testing. 

Really cool that the owner included a personalized letter! Love it! 

1 minute ago, FallenSaber said:

Agreed, it's those extra little things that some people do that make all the difference.

@LeakyValve @EugeGall I’m very jealous. My tracking still says they’re in Arizona but should still be here this weekend

1 hour ago, FallenSaber said:

I agreed that’s a really nice touch. I haven’t even gotten mine yet but I’m already a fan based of their customer service!

@EugeGall very nice first impression. I picked the orange midsize so it’ll be interesting to see if the weight discrepancy carries over to the larger grips (edit: read too fast and just saw the green was the one off with the weight. I’ll still weigh mine and report back)

Edited by BreakfastBall15

For anyone interesting i'm just getting set up to do a live unboxing and first impressions! i'll post the link when its ready!

Link is up!

Edited by LeakyValve
live update!

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

14 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

For anyone interesting i'm just getting set up to do a live unboxing and first impressions! i'll post the link when its ready!

Link is up!

@LeakyValve I’m still patiently waiting for mine to show up so for now I’ll take your word on the orange being better in person 😂. As a Syracuse fan I got the orange and blue to match the school colors so I’m pretty excited to see them in real life 

7 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I’m still patiently waiting for mine to show up so for now I’ll take your word on the orange being better in person 😂. As a Syracuse fan I got the orange and blue to match the school colors so I’m pretty excited to see them in real life

you’ll love them. I’m sad I didn’t order more

5 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

you’ll love them. I’m sad I didn’t order more

Don’t tease me like that! Checked the mail earlier, no grips, checked tracking and it’s delayed so hopefully Monday!!!

On 3/15/2024 at 2:22 AM, Josh Parker said:

I am beginning to wonder if there are products we test that you don't buy! 

Love the grips! and love the orange. It is very bright isn't it!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I am beginning to wonder if there are products we test that you don't buy! 

Love the grips! and love the orange. It is very bright isn't it!

It is so bright!  Haha. I don't try plenty, but I try a bunch.  Grips were ready to swap out and I hate the mess of normal grips.  These were easy and with a 3 year warranty. Hard to pass up.