Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Controversy among Mcllroy, Hovland and Spieth

Cade Rousseau

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the ruling today between these three gentlemen? After watching a video of the incident, it seems the three couldn’t come to a conclusion on where Rory should drop. At this point in time, you would think with the technology we have they would be able to determine from a camera angle where the ball landed. 

21 hours ago, Cade Rousseau said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the ruling today between these three gentlemen? After watching a video of the incident, it seems the three couldn’t come to a conclusion on where Rory should drop. At this point in time, you would think with the technology we have they would be able to determine from a camera angle where the ball landed. 

The bottom line is that tournament doesn’t have all the rule officials as in the US Open . It is up to them to come up with a fair assessment of how it is handled . Even though , I’m not much of a Rory fan , Jordan is being an ass about it to me . He’s already taking a penalty in taking the appropriate action needed to keep the pace of play . It’s not that hard of a decision as long as the three of them come to an agreement

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

8 hours ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

The bottom line is that tournament doesn’t have all the rule officials as in the US Open . It is up to them to come up with a fair assessment of how it is handled . Even though , I’m not much of a Rory fan , Jordan is being an ass about it to me . He’s already taking a penalty in taking the appropriate action needed to keep the pace of play . It’s not that hard of a decision as long as the three of them come to an agreement

Pace of play has zero role here. The drop needs to follow the rules of golf. Also the number of officials here compared to a U.S. open is irrelevant. There are rules officials available to make the determination. It’s on Rory to make the decision or get a rules official, his playing partners can say it crossed here or there wit whatever but they don’t have to gone to an agreement on where it crossed, that’s on the player himself

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I did hear an interview with Spieth in which he said he was protecting the field - that is the role of fellow competitors on these matters.  Ultimately it is up to the player and whatever they choose might be subject to review later if there weren't a rules official available.  I agree that you would think with all the available technology it might seem to be easier but when you think it through it's actually not - trying to determine where a ball entered a hazard is particularly difficult - where was the device placed - that angle makes a difference - even the angle that the competitors were at makes a difference - the player or a caddy if he were directly behind the player had the best view of it. 

I am decidedly not a Rory fan but also not a Rory hater - I don't hate any of these guys, I just prefer some more than others.  In some ways its very unfair to Rory because there are way more eyes on him than most other players.  I have no doubt all involved were trying to proceed by the rules of golf.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 3/14/2024 at 1:18 PM, Cade Rousseau said:

At this point in time, you would think with the technology we have they would be able to determine from a camera angle where the ball landed. 

I've thought the same on these type situations because we've seen cases where live footage has been used to penalize the player after the score is posted.  But, I think @revkevmakes a great point that cases like these cannot even be helped by the camera - sue to limited angles.  I also think that unless there is a gross amount of dispute amongst the playing group, that it is not worth "nit-picking".  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I wish there was an ability to see it live. Like you all have said tough to have a camera catching every angle….but I don’t think it’s unreasonable. This day and age seems like it could be a pretty simple task and can remove the guessing later.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Hear me out, what IF they had an on view portable device that could help determine the point of exit ?  (Like the NFL uses?) And players/officials could use that. It definitely would take some considerable time though in reviewing.  Which is always an issue for golf.... time!

My personal opinion here, Players are always going to do their best to give THEMSELVES the best advantage possible.  And an opponent will almost always do their darndest to put that player at a disadvantage.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

33 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Hear me out, what IF they had an on view portable device that could help determine the point of exit ?  (Like the NFL uses?) And players/officials could use that. It definitely would take some considerable time though in reviewing.  Which is always an issue for golf.... time!

My personal opinion here, Players are always going to do their best to give THEMSELVES the best advantage possible.  And an opponent will almost always do their darndest to put that player at a disadvantage.

Agree. Spieth may be mad from his disqualification still lol

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

but I don’t think it’s unreasonable

I'll go with Rule 20.2.c in general, the "naked eye standard."  Watching the bovine bloviations from last week where Clark's ball "moved."  Half the commentators,  TV and otherwise, don't know all the rules, or how they work together, and another portion spin it all for drama (e.g. queen of TV golf drama  Shambles).  Honestly I think we need less of the super close up stuff and all the "extras."

I missed it, that damn eork thing keeps getting in mybway of recreation!  But mybwife asked me about it and I took the drama out of it when I watched some of the interaction. I thought it looked like Jordan was doing what he said after his own debacle, showing concern that another player didn't cause themselves a DQ like he did.

I want to enjoy watching it, not get lost in the white noise.  But that's just me.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a bit ridiculous how long the conversation took. I understand that all 3 of them want to make the right call, and I get Spieth's interest in protecting the field. But 3 grown-ass professional golfers who watched the shot and know the rules should be able to make a fairly quick assessment and determination on where it would have crossed and what is a reasonable drop. In a practice round, or a friendly match they would have felt confident with a decision in a matter of a few seconds. Quick conversation and evaluation and they all 3 would have agreed with little doubt.

Qi10 LS, M5 3wd, P790s 4-AW, Corza Ghost Putter

1 hour ago, Jonknowsgolf said:

I thought it was a bit ridiculous how long the conversation took. I understand that all 3 of them want to make the right call, and I get Spieth's interest in protecting the field. But 3 grown-ass professional golfers who watched the shot and know the rules should be able to make a fairly quick assessment and determination on where it would have crossed and what is a reasonable drop. In a practice round, or a friendly match they would have felt confident with a decision in a matter of a few seconds. Quick conversation and evaluation and they all 3 would have agreed with little doubt.

Never assume the pros know the rules. Spieth has been dq’d at least twice for breaking the rules.

A practice round or friendly match is far different than a professional event. Theres going to be more discussion to make the determination on a possible judgement call. It’s not surprising there were different opinion on it

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Fair point. However I believe Jordan's most recent DQ was from signing an incorrect scorecard, not an on course rules infraction.

I absolutely get that a PGA Tour event is different than a casual round. I guess what I was more referring to was that they all seemed to dance around making any actual decision or even a firm assessment of what they thought. In my experience with rules situations the resolution comes much easier when those involved are straight forward with what they saw and where they think it would have crossed, etc, even if it's just a best guess. Probably in this case calling the rules official in was for the best, but even then he didn't see it and so will rely on their accounts. And in this case it seemed like even then it was harder than it should have been for him to get anything concrete out of them. Maybe just the fact that the landing area was blind made it hard for anyone to give a definitive answer, in which case they should each just give their honest assessment of what they think. And ultimately, I guess that's what happened. The process just seemed really drawn out. But it was a hard one, that's for sure.

Qi10 LS, M5 3wd, P790s 4-AW, Corza Ghost Putter

32 minutes ago, Jonknowsgolf said:

Fair point. However I believe Jordan's most recent DQ was from signing an incorrect scorecard, not an on course rules infraction.

Signing an incorrect scorecard is not knowing the rules because he didn’t account for penalty strokes. Which if he knew the rules he wouldn’t have done 

33 minutes ago, Jonknowsgolf said:

I guess what I was more referring to was that they all seemed to dance around making any actual decision or even a firm assessment of what they thought.

There’s no decision for either to make. It’s Rory’s decision and there’s no agreement needed from the playing partners. They were saying where they Beloit crosses compared to what Rory thought. Ultimately it’s on Rory to make the call and deal with consequences of an incorrect call.

36 minutes ago, Jonknowsgolf said:

Probably in this case calling the rules official in was for the best, but even then he didn't see it and so will rely on their accounts. And in this case it seemed like even then it was harder than it should have been for him to get anything concrete out of them.

This is the proper way. It’s on Rory and if help is needed then advice from the rules official. Spieth and hovland are almost irrelevant other than an opinion on what they saw.

On 3/16/2024 at 9:50 AM, revkev said:

I did hear an interview with Spieth in which he said he was protecting the field - that is the role of fellow competitors on these matters.  Ultimately it is up to the player and whatever they choose might be subject to review later if there weren't a rules official available.  I agree that you would think with all the available technology it might seem to be easier but when you think it through it's actually not - trying to determine where a ball entered a hazard is particularly difficult - where was the device placed - that angle makes a difference - even the angle that the competitors were at makes a difference - the player or a caddy if he were directly behind the player had the best view of it. 

I am decidedly not a Rory fan but also not a Rory hater - I don't hate any of these guys, I just prefer some more than others.  In some ways its very unfair to Rory because there are way more eyes on him than most other players.  I have no doubt all involved were trying to proceed by the rules of golf.  

Exactly , the stars of any sport are subject to more scrutiny, such as Rory ,Tiger and Lexi to name a few .

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS