Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

What Is The Most You Would Pay For A Putter?

GolfSpy_APH

$400 (max) assuming the fitting was thorough, like with a Quintec or something similar.  

1.  Evnroll anything.  Love my ER5 but if I got fit for a blade or some other head hosel config, I would be down for that. 

2. Cleveland anything and have a really nice dinner with the savings.

3. One of the Odyssey AI putters

4. TM Spider

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” -Arnold Palmer

$500 without batting an eyelash. Not a big equipment turnover guy. Love my i210 irons and currently game a Ping Bergen Vault putter for about 7 years. If I could really get dialed in at the lab, why wouldn't I spend that much on a club I use about twice as much as my driver. People have no problem dumping $500-$600 on that club. I feel there has to be a value and a performance gain to change. 

Glenn Kraemer   Frisco, TX

I would pay nothing for a new putter. I have so many putters in my garage, if I paid $1.00 for a new one, my wife would start using it for things it was not designed to do, and put it places in my anatomy that would be painful and make it difficult to use. Anyhow, it is not the putter that is my problem…it is the “puttie”

I'm not trying to brag and I'm certainly not filthy rich but the putter I have is more than my driver. A putter is something that gets used 46% of the time during a round of golf. I may not have become a better golfer because of it but I've became a much better putter

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/OBAN KIYOSHI Purple Tour Reserve 45

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

16 hours ago, RangerGrey said:

I may not have become a better golfer because of it but I've became a much better putter

I am not doubting you, perhaps you could share some stats to support this.

Not you but I understand as many have pointed out a putter is used for 30-50% of strokes, depending.  But without keeping of actual statistics on how often you are, one putting, 2 putting, and 3 putting from various distances from the hole, for many many rounds, how do you KNOW FOR SURE, that putting with an expensive putter,  for 40-50 % of your strokes, HAS or IS making you a better putter, compared to your old putter?

If someone BELIEVES IT IS! Then no MISTAKE!, this is paramount for that person.  But belief, is not actual improvement.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I know what you said and it makes sense asI could take screen shots of some of my scores but what good would that do as long as I know I have become a better golfer, sometimes my score my not reflect my putter but it definitely helps keeps my score more consistent as I'm not only a better golfer I feel but I'm more constant and a better putter with what I now have as I can easily  1 putt 7-8 times and only 3-4 might be for a birdie while the other 2 might just help me by only getting a boogie as how many times has anyone made a good boogie putt I do that quite often as have even i putted for a double when I hit a shot OB, so I'm not sure how I can disagree with my actual scores and how I managed to stay fairly consistent as I believe for me it's a very nice improvement. 

Now if I go out and have a bad day putting I can only blame it on myself as even the Pro's have bad days putting as I was surprised to see Scottie Scheffler get his double on the 18th today by 3 putting at such a close range. For me I'm just a recreational golfer and if I have the confidence and belief in my putter and regardless of the price I have to say if my scores are within my handi cap range and my playing partners tell me that are telling me over and over Wow nice putt then they ask what kind of putter is that. I know there is always room for improvement but my putting has improved from where I was before. I never set my goals by what other people deem as an improvement. Happiness comes from putting real well as the joy is in the feeling of just knowing I made some nice putts also as my Belief is a part of who we are and no one else can feel my improvement. Sure it could also be just be getting lucky but in golf I would rather be lucky than good. 

Edited by RangerGrey

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/OBAN KIYOSHI Purple Tour Reserve 45

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 4:34 PM, Stuka44 said:

I will likely not pay anything for a new putter.  I have my time tested  Ping Scottsdale Wolverine.  I have found with continued dedicated practice, my make percentage for makeable  putts (less than 10 feet) has gone up and up.  Especially less than 6 feet.

So until I can get some guarantees that an expensive putter will do more than just continued practice, I'll just keep practicing.  But like most things with this game.  If you think something will help you it probably will.  I am an empirical, numbers person, so someone telling me this will make me better, just isn't enough.  

Well this makes lots of sense.  I know that I can make most truly straight putts.  How many of those do I see in a round?  Only the ones where I miss the break low and have straight back up the slope.  

So much of putting is matching line and speed.  I like die in or capture speed for my putts because I know if I leave my putts inside 3 feet I will make most second putts.   Living in the Greater Washington DC area the courses here tend to have very nice greens with challenging breaks and speeds or I won't play them.  We have so many great options.  Practicing with the same putter and routine is the biggest help for me now.  That said I have a custom build putter made just for me too.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 7:54 PM, Bronco said:

I just bit the bullet, and ordered a LAB DF 2.1 Broomstick. So, I guess the answer to your question is about $600. I've been looking to replace my Ping DOC 15.5L for awhile. I got a full bag fitting a couple of years ago at club champion, but they didn't have any long putters compare. $600 is a lot of money to me, but I tend to keep my clubs for a long time. I bought a used Odyssey Dart long putter, but it couldn't beat out the Ping. I also looked in refinishing the Ping, but putting $200-$300 into a 15 - 20 year old putter made me hesitate. Ultimately, I figure I'm due for a new putter and dog gone it I deserve it! Now just the agonizing wait for it to come. 48" Red, white shaft, triple white long alignment lines.

It's finally here!

20240425_150656.jpg

20240425_154741.jpg

20240425_154911.jpg

9 hours ago, Bronco said:

It's finally here!

20240425_150656.jpg

20240425_154741.jpg

20240425_154911.jpg

Nice! Let us know how it goes.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I'm the wrong guy to ask.  I have the Wilson Staff Infinite Buckingham that was the inexpensive darling of the MGS putter test a couple of years ago.   It can now be found for $99 and is as good as anything else I have toyed with.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I hate to say this, but you can find such great deals on used putters, I wouldn’t waste my money on a brand new putter these days. The Lab putters are sweet, but cost like $500. Scotty’s are around $400. Even Odysseys are outrageous! I do LOVE the looks of the new Wilson Staff putters. I talked a buddy into buying the Grant Park style for $96 from my club. I would pay that in a heart beat. 

My current gamer is a Scotty I got for $225 years ago from a buddy. I have a Benttinardi I bought from a golf store for $140 I used for awhile and I loved. This year, I bought a putter Zach Johnson donated for $60. I just can’t see spending more than $200 for a putter. I’m just cheap, I guess. 

IMG_5209.jpeg

IMG_9144.jpeg

Edited by DerekB54
Add photos and spell correction

This question will best be asked when no more Sik DW 2.0 C series putters are left on the secondhand market. Then I'll finally have to contemplate a switch. Until then, I'll stick to what works for me. I so rarely 3-putt now that I can't remember the last round I had more than one of them when there wasn't something else going on, like a massive amount of wind-blown debris on the greens, playing just post-aeration, etc.  I think even then, the only thing that might peak my interest are the new Evnroll New Classic ER2 blade putters (ya know, the best blade for 2024 winner for MGS?) that meet my criteria of A) being a blade, and B) being a double-wide head to give enough mass to keep my overly strong hockey-player hands from twisting the club head too much.  The more I think about it, the adjustability of the ER2 is tempting enough that if I found one used in good condition, I'd have to give it some thought because of the benefits of the groove technology.  I'm already a pretty good putter, but who couldn't use a little more help with getting the ball to the center of the cup? 

That and this thing is an outright beautiful club...if those red logos were blue or something else a little less distracting, I'd already have pushed "add to cart"...I'm far too terrible of an artist to ever attempt to redo paint fill on a golf club, so if it's not stock paint from a factory or I'm not stripping the paint or finish altogether and going raw, well, I'm out on any other kind of changes.

image.png.275724c037fdd4950aaa7a8350aed45f.png

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15° 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

$400.  Unless the stock market goes well, but I have other toys in mind (Quad electrostatic speakers) for my stock market gains.  I found a keeper a few months ago, for $90, Odyssey "R" Ball, near mint condition, about 3 yrs old.  I am going to try fitting at Sacks Parente later in the year tho.  I like their idea of lowering the center of gravity of the club as low as possible.  I bet that it reduces the tendency to twist to a theoretical minimum.  And they are not rookies, they are experienced guys who went on their own, like many or most small brands.  I have found that new balls, shafts, etc. are mostly private spin offs by people who know what they are doing. 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃