Struggle with Drivers!!

I have a question, why do I struggle to hit up on the ball off the T??? When  I T it up correctly it goes almost straight up, regardless of loft , I’m dropping my trail shoulder tilting my head desperately trying to hit up on the ball but it’s always the same line drive ! Am I missing something???? Or should I just punch myself in the face???? LOL

I’m a 69 year old retired carpenter and part time employee of a golf course! I golf multiple times a week and play in a league and some tournaments and outings! Sixteen years ago I had my left shoulder replaced, it had an affect on my swing but it didn’t stop me from playing the greatest game on grass !!!!

58 minutes ago, Joseph j Andreola said:

I have a question, why do I struggle to hit up on the ball off the T??? When  I T it up correctly it goes almost straight up, regardless of loft , I’m dropping my trail shoulder tilting my head desperately trying to hit up on the ball but it’s always the same line drive ! Am I missing something???? Or should I just punch myself in the face???? LOL

I'm not sure as no video was posted, but from your description, I would guess one of two things are happening;

-you have your ball tee'd up too high and ball is going off the top of the club face. 

-It's possible you are still hitting down on it too, and it's just going off top of the face. 

Get some face stickers or foot powder to see where the ball is hitting, tee it lower and still try hit up on it?  Hard to say for sure without video.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

CURRENTLY TESTING T-Squared TS-912 putter

I usually t it up lower then I hit line drives , so I I’ll t it up a little bit then I hit popups, my dilemma is why don’t I hit higher, when I am doing the things to hit up on the freaking ball with a 12.6 degree driver it’s the same as a 10.5 degree driver! 

I’m a 69 year old retired carpenter and part time employee of a golf course! I golf multiple times a week and play in a league and some tournaments and outings! Sixteen years ago I had my left shoulder replaced, it had an affect on my swing but it didn’t stop me from playing the greatest game on grass !!!!

Any chance you can go in for a lesson? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Had lesson and constant bird dogging from my playing buddy and coach , he doesn’t seem to think it’s an issue to concern myself with  he thinks it’s my swing speed , he’s probably right as my driver speed Is 80 mph at best , on the verge of 70 years old with arthritis! Oh well thanks for the interest!!!!

I think ALOT of people struggle with AOA. Its is something to be concerned with forsure but where you place the ball in your stance and how you move thru your stance is a big thing. If you sway in the swing then the ball position at approach is meaningless almost so adjust for your impact position not how you feel at approach.

I myself was always -3* to +1* AOA with driver. I recently changed my approach and ball placement to where I am now positive 3*-5* unless I sway and then its what it is cause I messed up.

So my advise to you (without seeing video or any real numbers) is move the ball forward 2-3 ball lengths. As long as the ball has a good trajectory just try things until they work. I feel if any change made doesn't work within 3-5 swings it isn't going to work so move on from it

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 5i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105-S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

Huh , the sway , that’s it that what I missed , thanks for that , I have been trying to cut down on that with a weight shift with the hips but I didn’t do it with my woods! Thanks again!!!! I knew somebody would know!!!

2 hours ago, Joseph j Andreola said:

I simply can't do it...period.

I bought a 13.5º BRNR, tee the ball very low, and hit down with it like a normal golf shot.

in flux

I have struggled with the AOA and recently have changed my swing to improve that.  If you are swaying that can cause you to hit down on the ball.  

I know all too well on the line drives!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Well, you could punch yourself in the face, but that will cause jaw and dental problems.  Anyways, you could always tee it up lower and place it another ball length back and produce nice little baby draws. You may lose about 5 percent of your max distance but you'll be happy to find fairways. 

Srixon ZX5 Driver 

Srixon ZX 2 Hybrid 

Srixon ZX 7 Wood

Srixon ZX5 Irons

Cleveland CBX Zipcore Wedges

Cleveland Milled Soft Putter 

That’s my next goal , the way I swing I’d probably miss hit my face anyway!!!🤪🤪🤪

On 5/17/2024 at 12:42 PM, Joseph j Andreola said:

Actually trying to hit up on the ball is causing your problem. Dropping your trail shoulder is the incorrect way to shallow the club and causes swing issues and you are adding loft if the ball is going up like you mention. 

You need to fix your swing and learn to swing more neutral and the natural swing arc create upwards angle of attack.

2-3° up is all one needs. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am dropping my trail shoulder, that’s why I’m confused but I think I’m swaying and  gliding forward and hitting the ball before my club starts up in the arc ! Thanks 

25 minutes ago, Joseph j Andreola said:

I am dropping my trail shoulder, that’s why I’m confused but I think I’m swaying and  gliding forward and hitting the ball before my club starts up in the arc ! Thanks 

If you want input on what you are doing, you need to post a face on and DTL video of your swing. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Dropping the trail shoulder isn’t a good thing. It’s the cause of your issues. Swaying is also going to make things worse.

But as mentioned above by cnosil without a video any idea of what you are doing or why things are happening will be hard to say.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 5/17/2024 at 12:16 PM, Joseph j Andreola said:

Huh , the sway , that’s it that what I missed , thanks for that , I have been trying to cut down on that with a weight shift with the hips but I didn’t do it with my woods! Thanks again!!!! I knew somebody would know!!!

If you’ve cut down on the sway with other clubs, the driver is essentially the same swing with the ball more forward in the stance and sitting up on a tee.  No need to drop your shoulder to hit up on the ball; let the club do the work.  Like others have said… a face-on and DTL videos would help with an assessment.

FYI, I’m 77 and swing speed isn’t much faster, which is why it’s important to maximize the quality of every strike.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There will be no video forthcoming!!!!

15 minutes ago, Joseph j Andreola said:

There will be no video forthcoming!!!!

Then there may be continued advice that may or may not help your driver swing.  😜

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Then there may be continued advice that may or may not help your driver swing.  😜

Yeah not much can be done or said at this pint other than find a qualified instructor and have him/her look at the swing 

Thanks to all!!!

I struggled with the same thing for a while. My swing coach explained it to me this way. Where the bottom of your swing arc is will determine your AOA. There are obviously other factors that go into that. But, to keep things simple, just worry about the bottom of the arc. If you're staying behind the ball and the bottom of the swing is before the ball, then you have no choice but to hit up on it. We went on to work on all kinds of other technical things, but I'm not really qualified to try and explain all that. That's what helped me anyway. Good luck with it. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:57 PM, Joseph j Andreola said:

Thanks to all!!!

I can tell you this, no matter what ur swing looks like or how bad it may be, ppl on this thread aren't here to make fun of it.. It's mainly middle aged ppl and older who just wanna help and wish u the best.. There are some very sharp golf players that, with a video, could fix ur problem in 2 min.. If I run into any problem I'm sending Kenny, William, Rob, Northern monkey, or others whatever Im doing and taking advice.. Just my 2 cents

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

Just now, Bubba1985 said:

I can tell you this, no matter what ur swing looks like or how bad it may be, ppl on this thread aren't here to make fun of it.. It's mainly middle aged ppl and older who just wanna help and wish u the best.. There are some very sharp golf players that, with a video, could fix ur problem in 2 min.. If I run into any problem I'm sending Kenny, William, Rob, Northern monkey, or others whatever Im doing and taking advice.. Just my 2 cents

Josh Parker is another guy who could help a lot.. Dude shoots in the 70s and I'm sure he wouldn't mind

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

Thanks for your 2 cents ,  not taking any offense!!!!!

37 minutes ago, Bubba1985 said:

I struggle with driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, all irons and wedges, and putter.. I'm hell with that hybrid though🤣

So that's my mistake.
I'm not bagging a hybrid.

Still, everybody is good with something in the bag.
I'm not too bad with a ball mark repairing tool.

in flux

I should’ve titled it , “ struggle to hit up on the ball off the T with the driver”!!! 

9 hours ago, Joseph j Andreola said:

I should’ve titled it , “ struggle to hit up on the ball off the T with the driver”!!! 

Dropping the shoulder isn’t the way to fix that problem and only makes things worse and brings a two way miss into play. 

The issue stems from either a setup issue, wrist hinge issue, improper hip movement, combo of all that and possibly some other stuff. If you want to improve then best bet is to find a good coach have them identify the biggest issue and work months on improving that