Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Would you give up distance for accuracy?

3 hours ago, benrd5420 said:

The answer to this question for me has changed after moving from Arizona to Ohio.  When I live in Arizona, I would have leaned into being more aggressive and tried to get more out of my driver distance wise.  Since moving to Ohio, that has shifted.  Many people have already  eluded to this here, but it all comes down to what the penalty is for the errant shot. 

In Arizona, the rough can be penal but doesn't tend to get grown up too much and is rarely wet and sticky.  Additionally, if you really spray one right or left your real danger is not less lost balls (assuming the course is not lined with houses), but cactus and things that want to bite and sting you.  When you find the ball, getting back to the fairway is usually a pretty open shot.

Since moving to Ohio the courses are much more likely to be tree lined, have thicker rough, and play much more wet.  If you are not landing in the fairway you are getting no rollout, and your next shot is at a significant disadvantage if not blocked out completely.  

So for me, losing distance loss is negligible if you aren't having to bunt back to the fairway.

Still, all this considered, max I think I would give up is 15 or so yards in the end, which in the end is a club, club and a half.

No surprise, Indiana golf is the same.  I would gladly give up 10-15 yards distance in order to be assured I always have a decent second shot, whether that be from the fairway or first cut.  Avoiding trees, bunkers, lakes, houses, and the ball-magnet cart paths is key.  That's why I hit the mini driver and hybrids more and more often off the tee lately.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Yes, yes, yes. just sold my year and a few months old Mizuno JPX 923 HM irons with lightweight Recoil 460 R shafts. Currently playing a 20 year old set of PINGs until I decide which new clubs will get me better dispersion and distance control. I hit the center of the face more often than not and like knowing when I miss. The JPX 923 HM's were forgiving to a fault. Almost too long. I will definitely sacrifice some length for control and workability.

as of May 7, 2024

Driver:    Titleist TSR2 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI 6-SR

Wood:    Taylormade SIM2 Steel 3 wood 15.5° w/ Fuji Ventus Blue 6-S VeloC

Hybrid:   Ping 425 3 19° 

Irons:      Mizuno JPX 923 4-GW w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460 F3

Wedge:  Mizuno T22 54°/58° degree w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460 F3

Putter:   Scotty Newport 2.5+/Odessey White Hot OG1 SL (alternate  

Balls:      Maxfi Tour X / Bridgestone B-RX / Titleist Pro V1x (depends how I feel that day)

That is a very difficult question. I love distance but keeping it in play and being able to keep it safe and give yourself opportunities is definitely the name of the game 

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

I just changed my Epic Flash from 9 degrees to 10 degrees. My accuracy is much better, almost always keeping drives in the fairway.  I’m giving up some yardage  I’m still evaluating which is better, distance or accuracy. I’m leaning towards accuracy

4 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

No surprise, Indiana golf is the same.  I would gladly give up 10-15 yards distance in order to be assured I always have a decent second shot, whether that be from the fairway or first cut.  Avoiding trees, bunkers, lakes, houses, and the ball-magnet cart paths is key.  That's why I hit the mini driver and hybrids more and more often off the tee lately.

Same. 3 wood and 18* hybrid are my fairway finders for tighter courses. When I last played Prairie View, I used 3W on half the tees and driver only a 3-4. My muni for league, mostly driver as it's so open.

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix:callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

If the course is wide open then I will take a grip it & rip it swing.  If not then I will grip down and take a 90% swing, hit most fairways and have minimal dispersion with 20 yards given up.

The guy I beat two weeks ago in league play said he would give up 30 yards to be in play for his 2nd shot.   I was in play consistently 50 yards behind him but his 300+ to somewhere unknown on the planet had him hitting two tee balls on three holes and he was in his pocket when those were equally in @Yellow Ball revenge territory.   

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

It's funny, i play with a lot of longer hitters (longer than me anyway) and i carry the ball anywhere between 235 and 245 yards, and it'll roll out another 10-15 yards on normal days.  And i'm probably more accurate than most (i'm about a 3 handicap).  And those long hitters all wish they had my accuracy.  I've actually been much longer, but age has slowed me down.  And i can tell you, i'd rather ALWAYS have that threat of the big bomb in me than not ever having it at all, like i do now.  You don't know what you have until you can't have it anymore.

Posted (edited)

I just had back surgery and I have to use a shorter driver. I’m using a 43 inch D4 driver. It’s very straight and good for 220 yards. The weight of the head is 220 grams. I have three of these 9.0,10.5,13.5.I use the 13.5 plus 2 degrees which is now 15.5 degrees as a 43 inch 3 wood very accurate and long.I’m a golfsmith and I like making clubs work for me.

IMG_0969.jpeg 

Edited by Brad Easter

For those that choose accuracy over distance keep the 9,10 degree driver in the bag and go with a 15 degree shorter shafted 3 wood or a 18 degree 5 wood, more loft produces more backspin less side spin which in parts tighter dispersion 👍

Have had a passion for golf since my childhood days.

Is this a general accuracy for distance or can I give up yardage for a % of accuracy. Cause I generally hit it pretty far but when I really get after it my accuracy drops so if been swinging slower to get better accuracy. For instance my 4iron goes on average 235 just due to I’m younger and I work out and have flexibility, but if I pipe it I can get up to 250 but has a tendency to fade 20-30 yds off line. So technically I am sacrificing distance for accuracy just by swinging slower. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

Posted (edited)

I am a high handicapper (this year’s goal is to get below 100).  To achieve that goal I am putting my focus on consistency. When I consider a gear purchase I evaluate how it will help deliver consistency. As my consistency improves I will start working on accuracy and from there I will look at improving distance. 

I am trying to improve all parts of my game while picking one part to emphasize. At the moment my emphasis is on my irons. I made some changes in the off season to my iron swing and am seeing the result in more consistency with those clubs. That consistency has already lead to improvements in accuracy and added distance. 

Stroke gained is the key. From all the examples shared in this thread, the path to strokes gained varies by player, course, ability, conditions, hole, and situation. 

Most importantly make sure you are having fun. 

Edited by Wolfstrum

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

At my age I cannot give up much more distance as a senior golfer, Longer par 4 holes are already 3 shots to get on the green. No, I am not interested in giving up distance for accuracy. Maybe 30-40 years ago, but not now.

Depends on how much distance you’re giving up and how much accuracy you’re getting in return. According to shot scope my playing average is 303. I’d be willing to lose 20 yards to gain 5-10 yards tighter dispersion. More than that and I feel it’s not worth it. Strokes gained data shows hitting it further is always better unless your in a hazard 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

18 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Depends on how much distance you’re giving up and how much accuracy you’re getting in return. According to shot scope my playing average is 303. I’d be willing to lose 20 yards to gain 5-10 yards tighter dispersion. More than that and I feel it’s not worth it. Strokes gained data shows hitting it further is always better unless your in a hazard 

That's what I think too.  No more than 20 yards, but get 50% better dispersion/accuracy?  Sign me up!  Of o get to the point where either improves naturally,  I may reconsider the balance 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I have a terrible slice which I am working to correct, I have been practicing swinging between 50 and 75%. I have noticed that during my range sessions by doing this I am getting a straighter ball flight, but my distance is down anywhere from 30-40 yards. My next step is to try this swing technique on the course. For the time being if I can hit more fairways and save strokes on lost balls and punch-outs then I would be willing to accept the yardage loss.

DR

Honestly depends on the course. If I can spray it around a bit and the rough is lighter I will choose distance over accuracy.  If the course is a bit tighter with heavier rough, more hazards, etc then I will absolutely choke down on the driver and play for accuracy.  So for me it wouldn’t be all or nothing it would be based on the conditions and the course.  

To me there’s a happy medium of distance versus accuracy. I say accuracy as I don’t necessarily think that means fairways. Like others have said it depends on the course. I also am a little longer off the tee so if I could give up 10 yards to stay within the first cut left or right I think that’s a fair trade off.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

I find it so much easier to score from the short grass than in the rough.  Played with a young man last week who hit the ball 300 yards, but he never knew where his drives would go.  Mine much much much shorter but in the fairway.  Guess who scored the best.  Also he was bad with math.  Accuracy is always best, but a good combination of both works best.  Good distance and great accuracy.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Reading the responses have been interesting. Finding the balance between distance and accuracy is a battle for me. I make this decision a few times alone out on the course. I try to let the hole/course dictate that. If there's trouble where I tend to miss or my target area is tight, I'll hit my safe drive which is way more accurate and sacrifices some distance if i HAVE to be in play. If there fairway is pretty wide or I feel like an errant shot wouldn't hinder me too much, I'll give that one a ride.  That being said, I really think the course you're playing should influence your shots. 

Also, we all seem to associate distance and accuracy with the driver but if I had the choice of some distance or accuracy with my irons, I think that answer is accuracy 99/100. 

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

5 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

I find it so much easier to score from the short grass than in the rough.  Played with a young man last week who hit the ball 300 yards, but he never knew where his drives would go.  Mine much much much shorter but in the fairway.  Guess who scored the best.  Also he was bad with math.  Accuracy is always best, but a good combination of both works best.  Good distance and great accuracy.  

I seen an earlier comment about rather being 20-40 yards further in the rough than back and in the fairway... while that may work for a hole or two, long term, you need to be in the short stuff to score. you sacrifice accuracy out of the rough before you even hit your shot. I've got a buddy who will bomb the ball all over the place and when he connects on a good one it looks awesome but I always hit him with the "I'll see ya whenever you get up there" 🤣 Accuracy is king

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

2 hours ago, KINGWinston said:

I seen an earlier comment about rather being 20-40 yards further in the rough than back and in the fairway... while that may work for a hole or two, long term, you need to be in the short stuff to score. you sacrifice accuracy out of the rough before you even hit your shot. I've got a buddy who will bomb the ball all over the place and when he connects on a good one it looks awesome but I always hit him with the "I'll see ya whenever you get up there" 🤣 Accuracy is king

Strokes gain says the exact opposite. Being closer to the hole even in the rough than further back in the fairway. Proximity to the hole goes up, green hit goes up, putting stats improve.

if one can get out of normal rough with a wedge hitting from the fairway with a 7i isn’t going to make them score better.

Then when you combine strokes gained with course management you get systems like decade which accounts for when there maybe trouble or not enough room for ones dispersion pattern, then you make a smarter choice but you don’t go going up 20+ yards just to score better.

The difference in fairways between handicaps isn’t that large so more fairway hits don’t lead to a better score or strokes gained .that data is posted in this thread if you care to read it.

Data>feelings 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Strokes gain says the exact opposite. Being closer to the hole even in the rough than further back in the fairway. Proximity to the hole goes up, green hit goes up, putting stats improve.

if one can get out of normal rough with a wedge hitting from the fairway with a 7i isn’t going to make them score better.

Then when you combine strokes gained with course management you get systems like decade which accounts for when there maybe trouble or not enough room for ones dispersion pattern, then you make a smarter choice but you don’t go going up 20+ yards just to score better.

The difference in fairways between handicaps isn’t that large so more fairway hits don’t lead to a better score or strokes gained .that data is posted in this thread if you care to read it.

Data>feelings 

What stroke gained stats exactly? For what handicap player? While I don't completely disagree (I'll take 40+ yards all day) but the yardage difference isn't generally that drastic so let's assume a 20-25 yard difference. There are more variables from playing out of the rough, starting with the rough itself. Those stats, just like any other sport I've played, only tell one side of the story. An extra 25 yards is amazing but does it help when you're right behind a tree and have to chip out or forced to lay up? If we're talking pro's than absolutely being a little off line in the rough isn't a problem but i was say the shot dispersion on this thread is a tad bit different that tour pros. Data helps but I've never been driven by data in any sport i played, if you are it can become a fault. Sometimes you have to go with feel/flow of the game.  

13 minutes ago, KINGWinston said:

What stroke gained stats exactly? For what handicap player? While I don't completely disagree (I'll take 40+ yards all day) but the yardage difference isn't generally that drastic so let's assume a 20-25 yard difference. There are more variables from playing out of the rough, starting with the rough itself. Those stats, just like any other sport I've played, only tell one side of the story. An extra 25 yards is amazing but does it help when you're right behind a tree and have to chip out or forced to lay up? If we're talking pro's than absolutely being a little off line in the rough isn't a problem but i was say the shot dispersion on this thread is a tad bit different that tour pros. Data helps but I've never been driven by data in any sport i played, if you are it can become a fault. Sometimes you have to go with feel/flow of the game.  

... Good points. There is a HUGE difference between a low index player and a high index player advancing a ball on a par 5 as near the green as possible with a hazard left and the fairway sloping right to left like a hole at my home course. Anything to the middle left of the hard and fast fairway will find the hazard. There is a big bunker on the right and better players will challenge the bunker trying to just skirt it and have the ball move left not the green. Being in the bunker for a 30yd shots isn't that difficult and well worth the risk and we often just hit over it. But when you don't know where your miss is going to be and the left side is so penal, laying up with an iron is really a better play. 

... Next is short siding yourself. Better players know where to miss their approach shots on long par 4's or 2nd shots into par 5's. If the pin is tucked on the right side with deep rough next to a green that slopes away from you, the miss will be left. Higher index players don't really have that option if they hit it left and right, so picking a club that keeps them short of the green is usually a better play. Not lay back to a 100yd wedge but something a little short of the green

... And then there are deep difficult bunkers, trees, water or other hazards that can mean an errant shot is almost a sure double bogie. I think the ability of any given player and how they are swinging that day are big factors in deciding how far to advance the ball. 

... Having said all that, my game did take a jump when I started advancing the ball as far as possible when prudent and stopped laying up to a wedge yardage. I think most low index players find the same. But mid and high index players need to know their strengths and tendencies before deciding to hit the ball as far as possible and just play smart. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, KINGWinston said:

Nothing helps behind a tree regardless of where you’re at or if you are in the woods. 

But all strokes gained stats show it’s better to be closer to the hole than further away regardless of handicap. Course management strategies incorporate strokes gained into picking targets and distance. The closer one is the better their proximity to the hole is. The closer you are in proximity the better the make perecdntage goes.

Feel free to go read broadies work and see for yourself or not and stay stuck in methods that data doesn’t support. 

some data for you

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/is-hitting-fairways-overrated-according-to-the-data-obsessing-over-the-short-grass-could-be-a-mistake

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/4/2024 at 2:17 PM, chisag said:

... Good points. There is a HUGE difference between a low index player and a high index player advancing a ball on a par 5 as near the green as possible with a hazard left and the fairway sloping right to left like a hole at my home course. Anything to the middle left of the hard and fast fairway will find the hazard. There is a big bunker on the right and better players will challenge the bunker trying to just skirt it and have the ball move left not the green. Being in the bunker for a 30yd shots isn't that difficult and well worth the risk and we often just hit over it. But when you don't know where your miss is going to be and the left side is so penal, laying up with an iron is really a better play. 

... Next is short siding yourself. Better players know where to miss their approach shots on long par 4's or 2nd shots into par 5's. If the pin is tucked on the right side with deep rough next to a green that slopes away from you, the miss will be left. Higher index players don't really have that option if they hit it left and right, so picking a club that keeps them short of the green is usually a better play. Not lay back to a 100yd wedge but something a little short of the green

... And then there are deep difficult bunkers, trees, water or other hazards that can mean an errant shot is almost a sure double bogie. I think the ability of any given player and how they are swinging that day are big factors in deciding how far to advance the ball. 

... Having said all that, my game did take a jump when I started advancing the ball as far as possible when prudent and stopped laying up to a wedge yardage. I think most low index players find the same. But mid and high index players need to know their strengths and tendencies before deciding to hit the ball as far as possible and just play smart. 

Love this post! Yeah I'm not trying to dispute distance has an overall advantage.  WHEN PRUDENT is huuuuge and that's where my argument stems from, you can't bomb and gouge every hole. I hope no one is laying up to wedge yardage unless you absolutely have to. I feel like high handicappers are going to read this thread and say "exactly why I'm going to bomb it everytime" well how often are you in the rough with a shot at the green. I was looking at this questions more from the tee rather than anywhere on the course.

On 6/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nothing helps behind a tree regardless of where you’re at or if you are in the woods. 

But all strokes gained stats show it’s better to be closer to the hole than further away regardless of handicap. Course management strategies incorporate strokes gained into picking targets and distance. The closer one is the better their proximity to the hole is. The closer you are in proximity the better the make perecdntage goes.

Feel free to go read broadies work and see for yourself or not and stay stuck in methods that data doesn’t support. 

some data for you

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/is-hitting-fairways-overrated-according-to-the-data-obsessing-over-the-short-grass-could-be-a-mistake

i appreciate it and i'll take a look but i don't think i'm "stuck" in methods that data doesn't support. Again, data only tells you one side of the story and i think you're missing that being so data driven. you can't always live on statistics. The beautiful thing about golf is everyone has a different way or view on how to get the ball in the hole the quickest.