Titleist GT Long Game - 2024 Forum Review

3 hours ago, ctg44 said:

Once the fitter had the head, loft, weight, and shaft combo right, it all clicked and sounded just right...and of course, I was hitting the ball great too.

Love this statement. I was hitting the GT3 pretty well, and then once the surefit settings got to our final destination with the AD-UB, it was absolute MONEY.

Man alive, I can't wait for these clubs to come in!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

As we await shipping notifications for the GT long game clubs, I am wondering what aspects of this test everyone is looking at? I know for me, a more controllable shot shape and reliable distance on misses with driver is one of the most important things. There's been comments on sound, so I will plan to get comparisons of that against my Darkspeed X. 

What else would everyone like to see? 

I think you hit on what I'm most curious about and that's performance in mis-hits. That's one of the big claims this year and I'm wanting to find out if it's true among the testing group. 

48 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think you hit on what I'm most curious about and that's performance in mis-hits. That's one of the big claims this year and I'm wanting to find out if it's true among the testing group. 

Don't worry. I will personally guarantee that I will mishit enough shots for the entire group to get sufficient data. In all seriousness, I didn't have too many off the toe so I can't speak to that mishit, but my heel strikes ended up being more of a lower flying, fairway finder kind of shot with the final setup during my fitting. Definitely lost some distance, partially because of the placement of the weight towards the toe, but the mishits with the GT3 were close to the distance of a good shot with my PXG. The biggest thing I noticed is that none of my mishits really had a ton of lateral movement, they all stayed fairly straight. We will see how it performs on the course once I get it in my hands, but from the fitting, I'm expecting the majority of shots, even mishits to be playable. I can manage my way around my home course without too much trouble if I can keep the ball out of the trees. I will fully admit to working on dedicating myself to trying to hit a fade with the woods because I prefer the look of a fade and feel like I can control it better. Whether I'll get there or just reduce the amount of right to left movement I get will be something that I look for during the testing in addition to the overall performance.

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Mis-hit performance for me, at least during my fitting, was very encouraging. There were multiple balls I’d hit where it felt like it was going to end up way out of play both ways, and it ended up as a miss in the rough. Now I’m not saying just off the fairway, but the difference of out of bounds vs in bounds. If it replicates that on the course, it’s going to be spectacular.

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

@GolfSpy_KFT

I hope you're right that the club will help ensure mishits aren't penalized as bad.  That would be fantastic! 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

14 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Mis-hit performance for me, at least during my fitting, was very encouraging. There were multiple balls I’d hit where it felt like it was going to end up way out of play both ways, and it ended up as a miss in the rough. Now I’m not saying just off the fairway, but the difference of out of bounds vs in bounds. If it replicates that on the course, it’s going to be spectacular.

I am generally very aware of my biomechanics, and while I can't always control them shot to shot, I generally KNOW what ball flight I should have generated with what swing I just produced with pretty high certainty.  The guys at both Golf Galaxy have started blanking out the projector after a swing and making me guess to see if I can get it right, and more often than not, I am pretty close.  All that to say, I know when I'm going to send one OB left with my current driver, and especially when someone's car is in danger in their front driveway.  Once we had the GT2 set up right, I was dumbfounded several times with balls that I was SURE were going out of play left that not only weren't OB, but very well were not more than 3° off the center line.  Even better, things that should have been heely pushes right were maybe 8-10° right of center.  I was just blown away by the centered nature of this driver when paired with the right weight and shaft combo.  Maybe that changes when I get outside with it, but I'm certainly optimistic right now.

19 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I am generally very aware of my biomechanics, and while I can't always control them shot to shot, I generally KNOW what ball flight I should have generated with what swing I just produced with pretty high certainty.  The guys at both Golf Galaxy have started blanking out the projector after a swing and making me guess to see if I can get it right, and more often than not, I am pretty close.  All that to say, I know when I'm going to send one OB left with my current driver, and especially when someone's car is in danger in their front driveway.  Once we had the GT2 set up right, I was dumbfounded several times with balls that I was SURE were going out of play left that not only weren't OB, but very well were not more than 3° off the center line.  Even better, things that should have been heely pushes right were maybe 8-10° right of center.  I was just blown away by the centered nature of this driver when paired with the right weight and shaft combo.  Maybe that changes when I get outside with it, but I'm certainly optimistic right now.

That’s exactly where I was at, too. I’d hit one that I thought was gone, and it just really didn’t go that far offline. I bet I said 5-10 times to my fitter out of the ton of swings I took, “that ball should have been so bad” in true bewilderment. 

#LeftyGang

17 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

That's amazing, have you had a chance to try and replicate on course as of yet? 

Curious to see what happens, now that all of you are seeing similar results on the simulator set up. 

3-p p760s

Cobra F9 

Tour edge Exotic 3 and 5 wood

Custom made Bradley putter

Sm9 wedges 50 56 60

Just now, ManBeard said:

That's amazing, have you had a chance to try and replicate on course as of yet? 

Curious to see what happens, now that all of you are seeing similar results on the simulator set up. 

I have not as we are still waiting on clubs to arrive. I don't have a reason to not believe I won't see it, but most know the range swing and the course swing can be different animals. One thing I found with the GT3 setup we landed on during my fitting is that I was able to allow myself to just swing the club. I don't do that often enough with my current setup, and it is probably because I don't trust it enough. Knowing that the GT3 is truly optimized for my swing helps with that A LOT. If it does translate to the course, it is going to make some major differences for me.

#LeftyGang

On 8/31/2024 at 10:42 AM, GolfSpy_KFT said:

It truly is wild in that it sounds exactly like metal. I mean EXACTLY

My fitting experience was in an outdoor covered area and I didn't like the sound. I'm hoping it sounds better when not under cover.

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I have not as we are still waiting on clubs to arrive. I don't have a reason to not believe I won't see it, but most know the range swing and the course swing can be different animals. One thing I found with the GT3 setup we landed on during my fitting is that I was able to allow myself to just swing the club. I don't do that often enough with my current setup, and it is probably because I don't trust it enough. Knowing that the GT3 is truly optimized for my swing helps with that A LOT. If it does translate to the course, it is going to make some major differences for me.

I agree, I was able to really get after it with the GT 2 without losing control and missing the middle of the face. Swing speed was 3-5 mph faster than my TSR2. Also, the GT3 gave me the fasted club speed but I wasn't hitting it as consistently in the middle.

-XY

MGI electric cart

Just now, GolferXY said:

I agree, I was able to really get after it with the GT 2 without losing control and missing the middle of the face. Swing speed was 3-5 mph faster than my TSR2. Also, the GT3 gave me the fasted club speed but I wasn't hitting it as consistently in the middle.

It's awesome to see how everyone has had some different experiences with the different heads, too. I found it much easier to find the middle of the GT3 compared to the GT2. 

#LeftyGang

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

It's awesome to see how everyone has had some different experiences with the different heads, too. I found it much easier to find the middle of the GT3 compared to the GT2. 

Same for me. Slightly faster club speed and more consistent center contact with the GT3. Can't really explain why, but when we threw the GT2 head onto the setup that worked, it went right back to just being off. I definitely took the most swings with the final setup and the VF held up whether I took a normal swing or went after it, so I'm happy with that. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

I was surprised to read that many who have tested the GT2 and GT3 drivers have said they look almost identical at address.  I still have not been able to look at one yet so I was hoping someone could answer this.

For those of you who have played a prior version, do they resemble a 2 style or a 3 style head?

Thanks for appeasing my curiosity before I can get to the shop 🙂

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I was surprised to read that many who have tested the GT2 and GT3 drivers have said they look almost identical at address.  I still have not been able to look at one yet so I was hoping someone could answer this.

For those of you who have played a prior version, do they resemble a 2 style or a 3 style head?

I would say it's more on a 3 spectrum. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I was expecting to be fit into the GT3 because I've always tended to be high-spin off the driver.  Even my best swing with the GT2 was around 3000 spin.  But I was getting good carry numbers and the ball was going darn straight.  I'll take that 14 times a day!

-XY

MGI electric cart

Just now, Josh Parker said:

The 2 has a bit more tail on it, but it's barely noticeable to me.  Very similar, and very pleasant.  They're good looking woods.  The GT4 was much smaller, but with a similar shape - a bit narrower at the hosel, making it a hair more of a tear-drop shape.

-XY

MGI electric cart

8 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

The 2 has a bit more tail on it, but it's barely noticeable to me.  Very similar, and very pleasant.  They're good looking woods.  The GT4 was much smaller, but with a similar shape - a bit narrower at the hosel, making it a hair more of a tear-drop shape.

Fore sure.  They all looked phenomenal. 

I just meant that the new 2 and 3 resembled the tsr3 prob the closest in my opinion. 

46 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I just meant that the new 2 and 3 resembled the tsr3 prob the closest in my opinion. 

They are very very similar.  A side by side with my TSR2 was hard to see much difference except the "GT" on the top. And of course the alignment strips on the face.  BTW I really like those strips!

Edited by GolferXY

-XY

MGI electric cart

8 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

They are very very similar.  A side by side with my TSR2 was hard to see much difference except the "GT" on the top. And of course the alignment strips on the face.  BTW I really like those strips!

Yeah the face is a huge improvement on top of many other aspects. 

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I had a feeling…thanks Josh

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

The GT2 definitely looks more like what has traditionally been the "3" model, going back to TSi3. looking down at address, you really don't see much of a difference, which is a FAR CRY from what TSi2 was (one of the worst shapes I've laid eyes on in recent memory). They did a great job improving it with TSR2 and continued that refinement with GT.

The GT4 was much more compact, which makes sense at 430cc, and looked very deep to me. I absolutely loved it. Couldn't hit it to save my life, however.

#LeftyGang

Fitting experience is up! I'm expecting quite a few questions on this 🙂

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

13 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Fore sure.  They all looked phenomenal. 

I would agree with that.  I didn't have any objection to the look of any of them, other than the GT4 was smaller and sounded like garbage.  Part of that might have been because I was using ProV1x left dash balls, which are a little firm, but still, I didn't find that to be the case w/ the GT2 once it was dialed in, so maybe the GT4 does just sound bad...

3 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I would agree with that.  I didn't have any objection to the look of any of them, other than the GT4 was smaller and sounded like garbage.  Part of that might have been because I was using ProV1x left dash balls, which are a little firm, but still, I didn't find that to be the case w/ the GT2 once it was dialed in, so maybe the GT4 does just sound bad...

The 4 has a very distinct and different sound than the 2 and 3.

I just need that email from UPS to show up in my inbox ASAP saying Titleist has created a label and my GT2 is en route.  I am starting to understand the feeling someone has when they can't stop craving a drink...change tabs...hit F5....nothing...ugh, back to work...😂

3 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I just need that email from UPS to show up in my inbox ASAP saying Titleist has created a label and my GT2 is en route.  I am starting to understand the feeling someone has when they can't stop craving a drink...change tabs...hit F5....nothing...ugh, back to work...😂

I bet I’ve refreshed my email 1500+ times since I got one over the weekend that my order was in process 😂

#LeftyGang

36 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The 4 has a very distinct and different sound than the 2 and 3.

40 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I didn’t think the 4 sounded that bad, but I may also just not be as sensitive to sound as others. However, I thought it felt terrible lol. More than likely because it isn’t as forgiving and I couldn’t find the middle to save my life. Wouldn’t have minded hitting it with the AD-UB, but it wouldn’t have beaten GT3 I don’t think. 

#LeftyGang

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

The GT4 was much more compact, which makes sense at 430cc, and looked very deep to me. I absolutely loved it. Couldn't hit it to save my life, however.

Isn’t it funny how that works?  Especially for anyone who played the 975 and 983 line…the 983E deep face pear was such a beauty…well before we knew what a forgiving driver *should* feel like.

But sometimes you just can’t force it…as much as we try it won’t work out.

I do have some questions for Titleist…the 4 hangs around however I rarely if ever see one in the wild.  There must be a really good reason they keep it in production.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Isn’t it funny how that works?  Especially for anyone who played the 975 and 983 line…the 983E deep face pear was such a beauty…well before we knew what a forgiving driver *should* feel like.

But sometimes you just can’t force it…as much as we try it won’t work out.

I do have some questions for Titleist…the 4 hangs around however I rarely if ever see one in the wild.  There must be a really good reason they keep it in production.

I asked my fitter if he had put many into it as I had heard something like only 8% of people were getting into it and he said it was more than I’d think, so it must work for a certain skill set golfer. I’m a high spin guy, so if I was consistent enough to find the middle on a regular basis it may work surprisingly well. But I am not there yet, and the forgiveness of the GT3 paired with the speed makes me wonder why anyone would choose less forgiveness UNLESS they really need a massive spin reduction and are super consistent.  

#LeftyGang