Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Bending a set gap wedge or buying specialty wedge

Uscraight

So long story short I bought a new set of 2022 cobra forged tec irons (4-P). Needed a gap wedge so I bought a 2018 forged tec set wedge that is set at 50 degrees. My pitching wedge is 44 degrees so I’m bending the gap wedge to 48 degrees. My question is, I’m looking to get a new 52 and was curious if I should take the same route in buying the set gap wedge and bending it to 52 degrees vs buying a specialty wedge. I only hit my 52 degree for full shots so I’m curious if it would be a good idea or should I just get a specialty wedge?

26 minutes ago, Uscraight said:

I only hit my 52 degree for full shots so I’m curious if it would be a good idea or should I just get a specialty wedge?

If you are hitting full shots I would go with the set wedge.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If the GW is basically only used for full shots, I would go with the GW from the set and bend it strong or weak as needed. I think you would want the consistency of having the same shaft, flex and weight, and swing weight.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

I have enjoyed the consistency of having duplicate wedges in my bag. The same scenario you're describing. 50 degree bent weak and 50 degree bent strong. I think it's a no brainer. I don't see how it can be bad for your game. 

Golf club enthusiast. Fitting takes the fun out of the experiment!

Personally I am not a fan of set wedges. My JPX 923 Forged came with a gap wedge and for fullshots it's great but anything around the green it does not do that job so I went with an OPUS 50 degree and it has been great for everything. I say go with a specialty wedge. 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys 55 Four 

3 Wood: Taylormade QI10 w/ Graphite Design UB 6S 

5 Wood: Taylormade QI10 w/ Kai'li Blue 70S Shaft

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Denali Black 70S

Irons: Srixon Utility 3 Iron w/ Project X 6.0 

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P w/ UST Dart V F4 

Wedges: Callaway OPUS 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour (Scottie Scheffler) 

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

my current pw is a 48* specialty wedge but i'm contemplating on replacing it with the set wedge since i only hit full swing with it.  i find it easier hitting full shots with a narrower sole club and a set wedge usually has that kind of sole to remain consistent with the rest of the irons in the set.  specialty wedges on the other hand usually have wider soles which i personally find harder to hit on fuller shots but very helpful for anything around the green or within 70 yards for me anyways. your mileage may vary with the "harder to hit on fuller shots" statement of course but definitely get a specialty wedge for the sand and for lobbing things around the green.

I really like having multiple wedges in the bag. That said, bending wedges can have its downside since you’re changing the bounce when you do so. I bent a 50° down to 48°…all good except it only started with 4° of bounce, so now it’s got 2°. That makes it a bit tough to hit off hardpan. I’m a sweeper, but that one takes a divot sometimes, and I’m not very good at controlling that. Might have been better to find a fixed 48°, or maybe a 50° with more bounce to being with. 

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo