Golf Galaxy "Used Demo"

Shrek74

Has anyone ever purchased a used demo club from Golf Galaxy? What kind of shape is it actually in as a demo? If you have, did you end up just wishing you'd bought it new for a bit more money? I'd love to hear your actual experiences.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

Not from Golf Galaxy but I just bought a 54* Callaway Jaws Raw used demo from a PGA Tour Superstore. I’m super happy with it. It looked pretty good to me on inspection and I thought a wedge probably isn’t taking too bad a beating. I’d probably be a little more reluctant with a driver…

Nothing online, but there was a local one that had some used clubs before they shut down the store a few years ago.  The ones I saw weren’t labeled as demo clubs, they looked like trade ins and they range from really beat up to very good condition.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I have bought multiple "demo" clubs from either GG or PGASS.  Never online, but in person.  I have found some really good ones that look brand new.  I was half tempted just a couple weeks ago to scoop up some of the TSR line up because they were cheap and in good shape.  I was going to resell.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I was in a DSG last week with a friend and actually asked the clerk if he had any demo Drivers or fairway woods for sale.

He said most get shipped off for website clearance or sold to some GG/DSG resell partner

BUT....He told me there is a running locals only list that they created if you want something specific. They will call you and ask if you still are interested. So.....I put my name on the list 😆 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I have bought multiple "demo" clubs from either GG or PGASS.  Never online, but in person.  I have found some really good ones that look brand new.  I was half tempted just a couple weeks ago to scoop up some of the TSR line up because they were cheap and in good shape.  I was going to resell.  

The TSR stuff was what I was looking at too. Taylormade has their Stealth2 FW wood for $165 compared to $250 new. The Stealth2+ is $205 vs $330. I may give one of those a go as I do like the Stealth+ 3+ FW wood I used last year as a driver replacement. Not sure how the Mizuno STG compares, but at $250 new it's a contender too. Just not sure I'm getting enough of my Mizuno STMax woods, thus my interest.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

15 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

The TSR stuff was what I was looking at too. Taylormade has their Stealth2 FW wood for $165 compared to $250 new. The Stealth2+ is $205 vs $330. I may give one of those a go as I do like the Stealth+ 3+ FW wood I used last year as a driver replacement. Not sure how the Mizuno STG compares, but at $250 new it's a contender too. Just not sure I'm getting enough of my Mizuno STMax woods, thus my interest.

They will also negotiate from what I have found.  I always ask and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

They will also negotiate from what I have found.  I always ask and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. 

Sadly I'd have to do it all via the website. There isn't a GG within 130 miles of me. There is a DSG about 55 miles away, but it sounds like they don't actually keep used clubs in their stores like GG does. 😞

Putter:
Technology:

15 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Sadly I'd have to do it all via the website. There isn't a GG within 130 miles of me. There is a DSG about 55 miles away, but it sounds like they don't actually keep used clubs in their stores like GG does. 😞

Most I saw, were in pretty good shape. Some had sky marks, but at the prices, it let's you get into them cheaply. 

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

Most I saw, were in pretty good shape. Some had sky marks, but at the prices, it let's you get into them cheaply. 

Yeah, $205 for that Stealth2+ might just be worth it. I have a Stealth headcover for my Stealth+ 3+ wood I can use. If the shaft isn't my fav, I can swap with that 3+ wood which has one I like. Can't find one better on eBay at that price. With that sliding weight, I can put it all the way back and turn the loft up to be more like a 4w which is what I want to replace both my 3w and 5w with a single club since they go about the same distance at this point.

Putter:
Technology:

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Yeah, $205 for that Stealth2+ might just be worth it. I have a Stealth headcover for my Stealth+ 3+ wood I can use. If the shaft isn't my fav, I can swap with that 3+ wood which has one I like. Can't find one better on eBay at that price. With that sliding weight, I can put it all the way back and turn the loft up to be more like a 4w which is what I want to replace both my 3w and 5w with a single club since they go about the same distance at this point.

I would say, jump at it.

I bought a few demo wedges from Golfsmith back when they were still around, and had no problems at all with them. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I think as long as you buy from a reputable retailer that stands behind their product then used clubs are fine.  For example, I've had great experiences with Callaway's pre-owned website. 

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

Demos for sale at DSG/GG tend to be in decent shape, but also tend to be priced on the high end of the used market (better deals out there IMHO). 

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

I just bought a practically brand new Callaway CB 50 degree wedge listed as a demo from Golf Galaxy.  While it was out of the plastic, it looked like it had never been hit, and I paid half of the price of what they wanted for a new one.  They give you 7 days to bring it back if you don't like it.  The only part of the experience I didn't enjoy was taking the GG stickers off the shaft, still have the adhesive residue from those on the shafts.

4 hours ago, uli2000 said:

I just bought a practically brand new Callaway CB 50 degree wedge listed as a demo from Golf Galaxy.  While it was out of the plastic, it looked like it had never been hit, and I paid half of the price of what they wanted for a new one.  They give you 7 days to bring it back if you don't like it.  The only part of the experience I didn't enjoy was taking the GG stickers off the shaft, still have the adhesive residue from those on the shafts.

GooGone works wonders.  You can also use a hair dryer to warm the glue, and use some rubbing alcohol on a rag to remove alot of the residue

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:57 AM, Josh Parker said:

I have found that they will pretty much give you 10% off just for asking if they can do any better.

From that point on, it’s up to you and how good you feel about your negotiation skills.

Taylormade Sim Max driver

Titleist TSI2 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid 

Taylormade M2 irons

Cleveland & Titleist wedges 

Odyssey 7 putter

On 9/4/2024 at 9:37 PM, storm319 said:

Demos for sale at DSG/GG tend to be in decent shape, but also tend to be priced on the high end of the used market (better deals out there IMHO). 

Agree…The demo clubs at both my GG’s tend to be only a step or so down from new.

Titleist TSI2 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid 

Taylormade M2 irons

Odyssey 7 putter

On 9/5/2024 at 5:13 AM, uli2000 said:

WD40 is great for taking that stuff off.

Titleist TSI2 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid 

Taylormade M2 irons

Odyssey 7 putter