Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

I would balloon shots if I put the ball that far forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 120mph SS, so I have to put the ball there to have time for the face to square. If I get it inside my foot at all, it's a 300' high fade.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The very first lesson I ever took, the last thing the pro showed me was playing every club just off your left in step to learn to shift your weight and hit through the ball. Eventually move the ball back a little bit at a time. Personally I play my wedges and short irons just back of centre, mid-long irons just forward of centre, and 3w, driver just off the left instep

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The very first lesson I ever took, the last thing the pro showed me was playing every club just off your left in step to learn to shift your weight and hit through the ball. Eventually move the ball back a little bit at a time. Personally I play my wedges and short irons just back of centre, mid-long irons just forward of centre, and 3w, driver just off the left instep

That is great advice Canucklehead.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

​​Ball just inside left heal and then  move right foot back a bit for each club down to driver.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

There are basically two schools of thought on ball position relative to club. One is a constant ball position in the stance regardless of club type and length, the other is progressively moving the ball back in the stance from driver to wedge. Both have proven validity, but only one has the advantage of being easier to replicate from shot to shot. For this reason alone (and maybe because some of the most successful golfers of all time also used this technique) I tend to favour the constant ball position. If I need to move the ball in the air I may alter the ball position slightly, but for the majority of shots the single ball position proposal works just fine. 

For the amateur and higher index players out there, a set up routine that eliminates any errors prior to the backswing (i.e. grip, stance, alignment, ball position) are the fundamental building blocks of hitting better shots. If you don't already possess a set up routine that takes this key requirement into consideration, then the constant ball position theory certainly makes this a lot easier to perfect.

Ended up reading how hogan use to set up before each shot and played the best I have at the tail end of last year and played well enough to shoot 79 this weekend with very little winter golf. Getting a better sound from iron shots and accuracy.

Wasn't looking forward to a 4th golf swing overhaul in 4 years but glad I took a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

simple fix for this... single length clubs; ball position ends up in the same spot for all your irons!   :lol:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 4 months later...

I saw this on Twitter this morning where Ben Hogan played all his clubs just a tad back of his left heal.

DFVmoHBXkAEHpKK.jpg

I watch people and there are so many variations of ball placement.  I can't play the ball too for back because I can't get off my right side. Bad knee and with my right leg two inches shorter than left causes some weight transfer issues.  I usually play my irons and even wedges from the center of my stance.  One of my swing flaws is not swinging down the line long enough and I all too often pull up and around my body.  I tried a shot on the 17th hole with my wedge with the ball moved up past center and felt my swing going more down my line.  I may have to take this to the range and see if it could be a permanent move.   

Cleveland

ole gray,

I saw this a year or so ago and have used it ever since. I like the fact that I don't have to think about where to position the ball and it actually puts the ball at the bottom of my swing.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

ole gray,

I saw this a year or so ago and have used it ever since. I like the fact that I don't have to think about where to position the ball and it actually puts the ball at the bottom of my swing.

Yea I have a hard time with consistency at the bottom and I'm going to pay more attention to this ball position thing.   I may be making the move to further up with ya. 

Cleveland

I saw this on Twitter this morning where Ben Hogan played all his clubs just a tad back of his left heal.

DFVmoHBXkAEHpKK.jpg

I watch people and there are so many variations of ball placement. I can't play the ball too for back because I can't get off my right side. Bad knee and with my right leg two inches shorter than left causes some weight transfer issues. I usually play my irons and even wedges from the center of my stance. One of my swing flaws is not swinging down the line long enough and I all too often pull up and around my body. I tried a shot on the 17th hole with my wedge with the ball moved up past center and felt my swing going more down my line. I may have to take this to the range and see if it could be a permanent move.

I play everything about the same irons wise. About an inch in front of center for the lob wedge and maybe two ball lengths up is the hybrid. Never really toyed with having the wedges that far up. I'm pretty happy with my wedge play, but may have to give that a shot!

DFVmoHBXkAEHpKK.jpg

I watch people and there are so many variations of ball placement. I can't play the ball too for back because I can't get off my right side. Bad knee and with my right leg two inches shorter than left causes some weight transfer issues. I usually play my irons and even wedges from the center of my stance. One of my swing flaws is not swinging down the line long enough and I all too often pull up and around my body. I tried a shot on the 17th hole with my wedge with the ball moved up past center and felt my swing going more down my line. I may have to take this to the range and see if it could be a permanent move.

Also just noticed how far back the trail foot is. I've got a bad enough pull at times, so might have to adjust the foot placement as well!

I play everything about the same irons wise. About an inch in front of center for the lob wedge and maybe two ball lengths up is the hybrid. Never really toyed with having the wedges that far up. I'm pretty happy with my wedge play, but may have to give that a shot!

I really flushed a wedge using the up ball position and was thinking WTF was that. I felt my arms moving towards the target more which is a good thing for me. 

Cleveland

I really flushed a wedge using the up ball position and was thinking WTF was that. I felt my arms moving towards the target more which is a good thing for me.

Yeah I used to play the ball off my back foot for lob wedge and move everything up a bit to driver off the front foot. Big difference in consistency and more control compressing the ball and hitting down

Yeah I used to play the ball off my back foot for lob wedge and move everything up a bit to driver off the front foot. Big difference in consistency and more control compressing the ball and hitting down

I could damn sure use more of that consistency stuff  :D 

Cleveland

If any of you happen to know where I can buy consistency, let me know...I'll take a dozen with egg!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 2 years later...