Should Tiger's Agent sue Chamblee

RoverRick

Here is an article in which Mark Steinberg says he may sue Brandel Chamblee for calling Tiger a cheater.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/10/19/4854532/tiger-woods-threatens-brandel-chamblee-legal-action-cheater

It's about damned time.  Faldo and Chamblee have driven me to the point that I hate listening to them.

Two were penalties, even if sort of obscure at the time, and one was done by the rules and no penalty.  In my opinion the only questionable call all year was did the ball oscillate or did it move.

What exactly is the difference between oscillate and move?

Isn't oscillation a type of movement? 

Did it move at all?

Is one allowed and one is not?

Than why is this a rule?

Did it move to a more advantageous spot?

But to say it was like he was cheating on a math test, than it has gone too far.

These has-been's and almost-were's just really piss me off.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 70S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Just to clarify oscillate would be a movement that comes to rest in the exact same position it started in.  Movement would be coming to rest in a position different than it was originally in.

That being said I have similar feelings on the matter.  I can't imagine how often this happens on tour but because some people are always in the spotlight it becomes front page news.

IMO what Chamblee did is unprofessional at best and libel at worst.  Not sure how I feel about taking it straight to the lawyers, but I highly doubt I'm going to read anything he writes about again.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good luck with that lawsuit. PR wise it will do more damage than good. Better would be for tiger to say. I abided by those rulings and played on. My focus right now is on getting my game ready for next season.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Good luck with that lawsuit. PR wise it will do more damage than good. Better would be for tiger to say. I abided by those rulings and played on. My focus right now is on getting my game ready for next season.

Ahh well put. This is really an opportunity for Tiger to look the bigger man.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Ahh well put. This is really an opportunity for Tiger to look the bigger man.

This is the very reason Tiger has said nothing.  His agent has done the talking.  And it was just talk, probably.

I don't even know why certain people have these tv shows! Obviously Faldo is one of the games past greats but some of these other clowns should be back home with their families.

Did Tiger cheat? You betcha. Did he get caught? Multiple times. Now let's move on.

My favorite comment about "oscillation-gate" was from Johnny Miller, who said "that ball obviously moved down a good 1/16th of an inch".  When the f@$k did 1/16th of an inch become "obvious"?  When you have to use tight zoom and super slow motion to see an infraction, you're grabbing at straws and quite frankly, I think it's absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly I don't know why people are making a big deal about this. I believe Tiger was slightly careless with his rules but who cares now? It's over and done. Let's get over it. 

As for a lawsuit, you have to be kidding me. Yes I realize that calling Tiger a cheater isn't good but Tiger and his attorney should be the bigger men and let it go. Tiger should let his play do the talking for him and show that he had a good season, regardless of an imaginary F-.

I don't even know why certain people have these tv shows! Obviously Faldo is one of the games past greats but some of these other clowns should be back home with their families.

Did Tiger cheat? You betcha. Did he get caught? Multiple times. Now let's move on.

You say Tiger cheated multiple times. If you take an illegal drop and are penalized that is cheating? Sure if he was caught kicking it from behind a rock. That is cheating. But when is making a mistake cheating.

When Dustin Johnson grounded his club in the bunker was he cheating and got caught?

The same tournament where Tiger got penalized for taking a drop that would have been legal in a "closely mowed area"'but was illegal because it was just mowed, not closely mowed. Rory was penalized for brushing sand out of his way on the fringe. Donald pointed out he could not do that, Rory checked and he could not so he got a penalty. Tiger asked his partner if he could take a drop and was told yes. Tiger got the penalty later for it and missed the cut. How is this cheating?

Have you ever been assessed a penalty stroke for some rules infraction? Were you cheating when you did it?

What is Tiger going to sue for, someone having an opinion?  The US needs to get over this sue happy mindset and stop wasting courts time on stuff like this.  Brandel's comments may be out of line to some but honestly Tiger needs to quit getting so butt hurt every time something isn't under his control.  If he wasn't such a jerk to begin with, he wouldn't draw this type of attention.  Brandel did nothing to hurt Tiger's already "stellar" reputation.

My bag is a revolving door!

Staying out of this one and have to bite my tongue.  I did read the "RAMBLE" Chamblee started to backtrack on his comments through twitter.

What is Tiger going to sue for, someone having an opinion?  The US needs to get over this sue happy mindset and stop wasting courts time on stuff like this.  Brandel's comments may be out of line to some but honestly Tiger needs to quit getting so butt hurt every time something isn't under his control.  If he wasn't such a jerk to begin with, he wouldn't draw this type of attention.  Brandel did nothing to hurt Tiger's already "stellar" reputation.

I don't think him being a "Jerk" is the reason why he draws so much attention.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

What brought me here was the realization that my comments inflamed an audience on two sides of an issue.— brandel chamblee (@chambleebrandel) October 23, 2013

Golf is a gentleman's game and I'm not proud of this debate. I want to apologize to Tiger for this incited discourse.— brandel chamblee (@chambleebrandel) October 23, 2013

And no - I was not asked to apologize— brandel chamblee (@chambleebrandel) October 23, 2013

My intention was to note Tiger's rules infractions this year, but comparing that to cheating in grade school went too far.— brandel chamblee (@chambleebrandel) October 23, 2013

That sound you hear is screeching tires from him reversing so fast lol.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Chamblee should get up every morning and thank Tiger Woods for choosing to play golf.  Why?  Because with out Tiger, Chamblee would be teaching golf to old ladies and hacker at the local muni outside  Phoenix.

Tiger generates the interest, Chamblee is just trying to get linked with him the only way he can.

Why?  Because with out Tiger, Chamblee would be teaching golf to old ladies and hacker at the local muni outside  Phoenix.

hahahahahaha

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

RP,  I truly enjoy your comments........  :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I told this story before but will tell it again here because it has to do with one of the alledged cheating incidents.  A couple of weeks after the Master's, I was playing on our number 16 there is a rock wall that lines the water hazard.  The pin was on the front and I was 75 yards from the front edge and the flag was maybe 10 paces beyond that.  I hit my 75 yard shot planning on it carrying the front and stopping by the hole.  Sadly, it did not.  It hit the rock about 6 inches from the green and bounce to the righ and into the water.  My first thought was to move a couple of steps forward and replay the shot.  But thanks to Tiger I had learned better.

You see, the rule says where it last crossed the margin of the hazard.  My ball did not come back towards me but to the right.  It passed over the hazard line twice.  Once out and once back in.  Same as Tiger's.  Had he not been penalized and that hulabaloo I would have not relalized that I was committing the same mistake.  My drop would have been illegal and could have been disqualified.  The difference was no one else gave it a moments thought either, at first, and I could have dropped the ball and shot and moved on.

But my ball had crossed the corner of the green.  My options were to play where it was, of along the line where it LAST crossed the margin, or drop on the opposite side of the hazard.  Well, by dropping where it last crossed the hazard meant I could drop about a foot from the green and have a 20' chip.  I explained this to my competitors and they all agreed.  However, they were not happy when I chipped in for par.

But that is an easy mistake to make and I would bet that most players would have done the same thing.  You do not even think about where it LAST crossed the hazard because the ball was traveling on a certain line over the hazard initially.

I think if Tiger wastes his time suing this bum it will end up about whether he cheated or not. Not whether Chamblee libeled Tiger. Because that will be Chamblee's defense did Tiger cheat or not.Then we'll have rules officials, video tape of the so called offense and if they find that Tiger broke the rules in court Chamblee is found innocent of libel and Tiger is found to be a cheater in a court of law( obviously not legally) and that will be forever.

By reading the posts on here I would say that it would make a good court case ie freedom of speech/press. that's what the lawyers make millions for. On the whole seriously I don't pay Chamblee much attention on stuff like that but giving the man his due props is is a great ananlyser of the golf swing. I am not a Tiger fan but I would find it funny if Tiger would show up at the GC studio one day with a briefcase full of money and tell Chamblee you get 3 up a side now lets hit it. I bet Chamblee"s rectrum would draw up so tight you could not ram a tooth pick in it with a air hammer. Heck I  would  like to have Tiger's part on that action there. He could shut all of them up play Chamblee, Nobilo and Isenhour for any amount from here to rocky mount Tiger against all 3 of them best ball.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

By reading the posts on here I would say that it would make a good court case ie freedom of speech/press. that's what the lawyers make millions for. On the whole seriously I don't pay Chamblee much attention on stuff like that but giving the man his due props is is a great ananlyser of the golf swing. I am not a Tiger fan but I would find it funny if Tiger would show up at the GC studio one day with a briefcase full of money and tell Chamblee you get 3 up a side now lets hit it. I bet Chamblee"s rectrum would draw up so tight you could not ram a tooth pick in it with a air hammer. Heck I  would  like to have Tiger's part on that action there. He could shut all of them up play Chamblee, Nobilo and Isenhour for any amount from here to rocky mount Tiger against all 3 of them best ball.  

Anyone else notice this....

Has the Golf Channel covered any of this news.  I just noticed not one word has been said about this issue on Golf Central, or on the annoying golf ticker "thingy" on the bottom.  If TW farts its on the golf channel in seconds.  I was expecting to see something on golf central once TW threw it back into the golf channels court.....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Woods reacts to Chambleecolumn on rules violations

Tiger Woods issued a veiled challenge to Golf Channel over a column written by analyst Brandel Chamblee that a series of rules violations by Woods amounted to cheating.

Woods spoke publicly for the first time since Chamblee, an occasional critic of the world's No. 1 player, wrote a column for SI Golf Plus in which he gave Woods an “F” for his season for being “a little cavalier” with the rules.

Chamblee is best known for his work with Golf Channel, though he also is a contributor to SI Golf Plus. The ex-PGA Tour player took to Twitter last week to apologize to Woods for “this incited discourse” and also said one analogy about cheating went too far.

“All I am going to say is that I know I am going forward,” American Woods said before Monday's exhibition match with Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland at Mission Hills in Haikou, China. “But then, I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not. But then, that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing, as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation.

“So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do.”

Golf Channel officials have not commented on the flap. Chamblee has written he was not asked to apologize by anyone.

Chamblee said in an email last week to The Associated Press he never said outright he thinks Woods cheated, and that was by design.

But Chamblee's email to AP also said Woods “was disrespecting his position in golf, the traditions of golf and his fellow competitors, in my opinion.”

As for the exhibition match, sixth-ranked McIlroy shot a 6-under-par 67 to beat Woods by one stroke. Woods is recovering from a virus he said he picked up from his daughter; he often asked his caddie for cough drops.

Taken from Seattle Times.

Just moments ago, I was watching Golf Central on Golf Channel and Rich Learner interviewed Chamblee.  It seems that he is now recanting his story.  His editor wanted to rewrite it but Chamblee said he would not let him.  Anyway, Chamblee said that Tiger challenged Golf Channel and they had nothing to do with it but he will no longer be writing for Golf.com to clear up the issue.  Hmmmm.

He also admitted that he was wrong and even his son whom he gives rides to school said all the other kids at scholl said he was wrong.  Hmmm..

If I can find it written I will post it.

• 4 weeks later...

It is too bad that Chamblee when asked to do the article by his employer did just that.   He wrote an article with HIS OWN opinion and got blasted by all who think the Sun rises and sets in Woods rear end.     Seems they all feel fine posting their opinions of Woods and Chamblee, but Chamblee does not have his right to his opinion.     Typical BS,  I can say what I want but don't you dare to voice  your opinion.    The guy is a writer, that is his job and if people don't like what he says,,, Don't read it!!!!   And most of all don't show your ignorance by trying to insult the guy, you are the ignorant one.

Personally I could care less what either of them do, that's showbiz.   Tiger is an enigma and better left be to do what he does, after all, he is the chosen one.    I don't think he cheated at the Masters, or at other venues, or at least knowingly, but the ball in the bushes was another thing.    I have been in that position as have others and in a competition a player is really going to watch and focus on the ball to make sure it doesn't move.    The ball moved, it was caught on tape, he said it came back to its resting spot, so be it.     I don't buy it, it is obvious the logo moved and changed position, but who knows what saw or didn't see.    So be it.     

Unfortunately Brandel went too far and he knew it, and said so.   Woods as usual has sad nothing.   His bigmouth agent Seinberg is doing all the talking as usual ragging on everyone but Woods, so be it.    Get on with it, it is over.

Archived