DoubleG

Can anyone describe what Ben Hogan is demonstrating in this photo?

Is this a photo of Ben actually swinging? Or is he demonstrating/practicing a drill? The position he is in, in this photo, appears different from many of the other shots of him at this stage in his swing. Also, he appears to have a club on the ground behind his right foot with 2 balls lined up along the shaft. Did he just drop it there or is he using it as a reference point of some kind?

Hogan.jpg

Doesn't look like a real swing for sure. I really doubt anyone would be standing in front of him to take a picture if he was actually hitting a ball either.

Judging by all the balls in front of his left foot, he's obviously on the range.  I suspect he's demonstrating "something" for the crowd.

He might be trying to fire a ball at the camera man-- Mr. Hogan didn't like being bothered while on the range...  B)

• Like 1

Judging by all the balls in front of his left foot, he's obviously on the range.  I suspect he's demonstrating "something" for the crowd.

Yes, Im sure he is demonstrating "something". However, what do you believe the "something" is, that he is demonstrating?

His stance looks open, left toe angled out quite a bit, and he appears to be holding the club off.  So, my guess is a lob or high cut shot.

• Like 2

His stance looks open, left toe angled out quite a bit, and he appears to be holding the club off.  So, my guess is a lob or high cut shot.

Good call - I remember watching Seve hit lob shots with a 3-iron in a similar manner.

Yes, Im sure he is demonstrating "something". However, what do you believe the "something" is, that he is demonstrating?

I think Kenny nailed it, a lob or high cut shot!

Duplicate post...

As I see it:

We all know that he was a visionary. I believe,  :D , that he was such a visionary, that he took a funny looking swing for the camera just because he knew 50 years or so into the future, a bunch of guys would sit and try to figure out just what in the H*** he was doin. 

But if I am wrong, I pray he wasnt trying to hit a cut shot. Seeing as I hit a cut shot (read SLICE) every time, I pray I dont look like that when I swing. 

and if THAT isnt right, I dont think he was swinging at all. I think he was setting up to hit and then Gene Sarazen threw a ball at him. The blur of the club is him trying to get it to the ground so he doesnt fall over......

:blink:

Doesn't look like a real swing for sure. I really doubt anyone would be standing in front of him to take a picture if he was actually hitting a ball either.

yes you are right he may giving a pose to photographer.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mey123

• By Kenny B
      Are you a mid- to high-handicapper?
      If you are, do you have those rounds where you can’t get a decent score even on one hole?  Yeah, I know… low handicappers have days like that too, but low handicappers need not continue reading.  This is not for you.
      Now, have you gone to the course to play a casual round, maybe with some friends, and didn’t think about the score?  Did you play better than usual?  What were you doing differently?  I bet you were more relaxed; tension in your grip and swing is probably less, and you were considering each shot opportunity relative to a target; the fairway… the green… the hole, and NOT what par is for the hole.
      However, we all want to get better at this game and keeping score is a measure of how well we are doing to reach whatever goal we have; breaking 100, 90, or 80.  Golfers have varying degrees of skill level and for many, making a par on a hole is a significant but maybe infrequent achievement.  For others, pars are a little easier, but then there are those dreaded blowup holes!  So, how can we achieve that relaxed feeling while keeping score?
      The Challenge
      Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no idea if this will improve your game.  There is no guarantee.
      I am proposing a challenge to mid- to high-handicappers to change your mindset so that you play holes with an entirely different perspective.  Change what PAR is for each hole.
      Get a scorecard from a golf course you play all the time. On one of the spaces where you would put your name, write “New Par” Change the par for each hole to a Triple Bogey; i.e., a Par 3 is now a Par 6, a Par 4 is now a Par 7, and a Par 5 is now a Par 8 Go play On the first hole the real Par is 4, but the New Par is 7.  If you score a 6, you are now 1 under par.
      Play at least 3 rounds this way.

Now, change the “New Par” for each hole to Double Bogey (mid-handicap players may want to start here)
      Play at least 3 rounds this way.

Now, change the “New Par” for each hole to Bogey.
      Play at least 3 rounds this way

Compare all of your New Par scorecards.  How did you do??
      Playing to a different Par gives your mind a different perspective on how a hole can be played.  Finally, go play using the real Par for each hole.  Does that round feel different than previous rounds before this exercise?  What are the results?
      If anyone takes up this challenge, I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are about how your mind worked during the rounds and if your play was significantly altered.
    • By puttingpirate
      So, it may be a little rant-like but I want to improve as quickly as possible without going in circles so I thought I'll ask for an opinion here.

Went for my first lesson - as I've started struggling with 2-5 irons for some reason, so instead of the usual 2h spent on pitching and chipping - we spent some time on going back to basics with the swing.

My impact position was still pretty solid, the body works 'okish' but i wasnt happy with the contact on shots.

So after a few shots the diagnosis was - I'm laying off the shaft too much.

I am consciously doing it, as I've got a fade and want to avoid having a slice.

So I've been told that the hands want to go where the grip is pointing. Which most of the time I'd agree with but I like to have a certain 'feel' that helps me with timing a lot and not coming into the ball steep like hell.

We worked for a while on it, to set the club shaft basically parallel to the target line.

The contact is a bit better, but im back to hitting slices.

Anyway, took it to the course, it wasnt the worst or best. I played fairly ok. And then went for a lesson just out of curiosity with a different guy at a different place as with my current one - seems my long game has stopped progressing/been stagnant for a while.

And he basically turned 180 degrees, said my shaft is too steep, that it should be pointing at about 2o'clock at the top of the swing etc...
      Literally the exact opposite of what I was working on. Also - after that lesson I went to the range, and could not hit the ball for about 40-45 minutes. I felt like I've wasted £70.

But then 2 opposite opinions... Which one is right? How the hell am I supposed to find a coach to trust?
      I have the aspiration to get to scratch within a short period of time.

So yeah... Kind of bummed.

Wood swing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdNzMkphWAd

Advice?
    • By CabbagePatch
      Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advise. I currently have a set of TaylorMade Speedblades, stiff shaft and my swing speed is between 85 - 95 MPH. I am looking to move over to the 2016 M2 Irons, should i move over to Regular shafts?
    • By jasonpieters
      Is anyone using or working on the Leadbetter A Swing?  I started trying it to try and work on eliminating my blocks and blocked fades.  I have been working on it and have developed a hook.  Any advice from people working on this swing would be appreciated.
    • By PlaidJacket
      This past Sunday I stumbled across (again) the Tour Tempo website. Basically they are promoting a method to train yourself to have a more tempo'd swing. Of course once you have that you'll strike the ball better with increased distance, accuracy, etc. Ok, I can use that. I thought the idea of using the app and listening to the tones might help my game in some measure. Sure couldn't hurt. The app is quite expensive as far as apps go. $25. I plan to get out tomorrow and give Tour Tempo a try. Have any of you guys tried it? Any success? Thoughts?
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!