Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New driver

CKgolf88

I currently have a 913 D3 which is working well, but just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something more current. The ones I have in mind are the M2 or the King ltd. open to suggestions. are these drivers out performing my 4 year old driver?

I'm in the same boat as you, with my driver being from 2013 - I'm thinking of getting a 915 D3 to replace it. To be honest, the best way to work out what driver works for you is to simply have it in your hands and smash balls on the range. Have a look at the Callaway XR16 range as well.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

Go test them man. You'll never be able to tell without hitting them for yourself, preferably with your gamer for side by side. I will say I've hit the m2 and it wasn't bad but I'm sticking with my vapor for now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'd go check out your nearest golf store and demo some drivers to get a feel. A driver can be awesome for one person, but that same driver might not work for another. M2, Mizuno JPX EZ, and Pings for starters.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

There was a recent thread about the 915 vs. 917 - and no huge gains to be found. I personally doubt that the 913 will be vastly different. It's worth a trip to the local shop to try some out though - I went with the King LTD this year and love it! It replaced an AMP Cell driver that was a few years old. Minimal distance gains if any, but it sounds better and feels better. I never could shape the ball with the amp driver, but I can with the king. My misses are usually in play.

I currently have a 913 D3 which is working well, but just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something more current. The ones I have in mind are the M2 or the King ltd. open to suggestions. are these drivers out performing my 4 year old driver?

If anything is outperforming your old driver, it's the shaft. I have posted a lot recently about getting fit and it was a game changer for me. I played an R11s for three years, nothing could take it out of the bag, it was an 8.5 degree head with the Adila RIP phenom x stiff flex shaft. I had a consistent 270 carry and it was as forgiving as anything else. I got fit for an M2 with the hzrdus black 6.5 shaft and ended up swapping the M2 head for an M1 head with the weight all the way to the back and I've got a 291 carry now. If I had kept the same shaft I was playing, I probably wouldn't see the gains that I have, but my ball flight is more penetrating and I'm more consistent now than I ever was.

Is the technology in the head better, maybe not...is getting fit and finding the best shaft for you better? Absolutely.

"I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word"- General James "Mad Dog" Mattis. USMC

Jmgonet45's Bag

Taylormade M1 8.5 lofted down a quarter turn to 8.25. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M2 15 Degree. Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X

Taylormade M1 19 Degree. Motore Speeder 8.3 Tour Spec X. 

Srixon 565 Irons 4-6. KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright ,standard loft

Srixon 765 Irons 7-PW KBS C-Taper 130x 1 deg upright, standard loft

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50-54-60. KBS C-Taper 130x. 1 deg upright, standard loft

Taylormade Rossa Monza Itsy Bitsy Spider, 35 inch.

Hive the Big Bertha Fusion a look. The new Recoil shafts pack a serious amount of technology and this is the most consistently accurate driver I have ever hit.

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

I switched over to the 917D3. If you are considering a new driver, can't recommend it enough. Went and hit almost everything available. Narrowed it down to the M2 and the D3, but the ability to dial the titleist was the discriminating factor. Maybe not quite as long as the M2, but consistency beat out the minimal yardage gains, and by minimal maybe 5 yards on center strikes

As for the difference between the 915 and 917, I definitely saw significant differences between them. Went to the titleist launching event, hit PROv1x on trackman, ball speeds, spin, launch, and dispersions were significantly better for me. The tech from 913-917 is vastly different, so worth a look.

I just got fit and purchased a 917 D3, I'm getting a lot better results (distance and accuracy) than I was with the 913 (I wasn't fit for that however, bought it off a friend).  I suggest going to any demo days or Titleist Thursday's if they are in your area and hitting some of the new ones for yourself and if at all possible go through a fitting to see if there are any gains out there for you. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I currently have a Graphite design tour Ad Di 70x in my 913. I was not fit for this shaft, but it is the one I am the most consistent with. I have been fit several times and I do find some improvement in distance with other shafts, but accuracy sometimes suffers. Would rather be 280 and in the fairway, then 300 and in the rough. Sounds like I could mess around with some, but also sounds like I am not loosing much either. I am currious about the 917's though.

Taking my current driver out of the equation (you'd have to go to California to get fit for one), here's what I can tell you about all of the fittings I've done with drivers this year, whether at a demo day or in a "studio".

The longest was the M2, M1 was straighter, not as long.

The Titleist 915 D2 was the straightest, easily, but the rep did every tweak imaginable.

Nike 440 Flex, King Cobra LTD, LTD Pro, Callaway XR 16, and XR 16 Pro were all about the same for me, but I didn't have a ton of shafts to work with at those trials. Both Mizuno drivers felt great, but they were the shortest of all.

I did try the new Ping G this year, but the rep wasn't interested in helping me get fit so I only tried two shafts. I actually was longer and straighter with the G30 I had, but it had an aftermarket shaft in it that helped it out.

All-in-all, I'd look at a G30 for overall performance, the M1/M2 for distance, and the 915 D2 for total accuracy.

But, the data is there for you in the 2016 My Golf Spy Driver Test. Their results were pretty spot-on for me!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived