Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge Fitting Questions

Zylem

So my SM5s are starting to show some wear and I was curious about wedge fittings. I know a lot of wedge play is all preference/feel but I was curious if anyone here had been in for a wedge fitting? If so, did you learn anything about your game? And was there any recommendations that you went with that ended up really paying off?

I may use this opportunity to explore some different grinds and bounce sizes. I have always played the same wedges and when they wear out I just buy the exact same setup in the latest generation of Vokey.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Went to an indoor full bag fitting and was told that to do a wedge fitting it should be done outdoors and you should try different grinds from different lies and figure out what you need.  It is really personal preference based on the types of shots you are trying to hit.  Big problem with this is most places do not have bunches of wedges to try out. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Went to an indoor full bag fitting and was told that to do a wedge fitting it should be done outdoors and you should try different grinds from different lies and figure out what you need. It is really personal preference based on the types of shots you are trying to hit. Big problem with this is most places do not have bunches of wedges to try out.

With the prices of wedges these days I wish more places would do this. They are an expensive item to just buy and hope. I have never been able to have wedges for for me but would love to. My course has a Callaway demo day coming up and I am hoping they can let me hit some different grinds there.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Zylem, if you're going Vokey again, head on over to Titleist's website and see if there is a fitter in your area. Mark Crossfield just did a video on this from a fitting he underwent with Titleist in the US for the Tour Experience and discusses the process and thoughts you may want to have in wedge fittings.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Zylem, if you're going Vokey again, head on over to Titleist's website and see if there is a fitter in your area. Mark Crossfield just did a video on this from a fitting he underwent with Titleist in the US for the Tour Experience and discusses the process and thoughts you may want to have in wedge fittings.

Thanks I'll look for his video, I assume it's on his YouTube channel? I guess I am curious to learn more about wedge tech. I always played my father's hand me downs growing up and once I started buying my own I just kept buying the same stuff.

Thanks I'll look for his video, I assume it's on his YouTube channel? I guess I am curious to learn more about wedge tech. I always played my father's hand me downs growing up and once I started buying my own I just kept buying the same stuff.

Here's the link 

I mean, I'm off the school of if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you want to explore good on ya!

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Zylem... Had a discussion about wedges driving back from Pinehurst with GolfSpy Rob and Bigball. I didn't realize that I had left low bounce titleist wedges all these years in my bag. I had started with high bounce wedges but had switched it out for one round because of super firm conditions of the course I was going to play and never switched it back. Well Pinehurst was wet Saturday and Tobacco Road was also wet Sunday. I was wondering why I wasn't hitting wedges fat when we all discovered I had only 8* of bounce on my 58*. Cost me a few shots these past few years from not playing the appropriate wedge bounce to the course conditions. So, I dug out an old set of wedges I had (TM TP wedges that have more bounce (60* w/ 8* bounce, 56* w/ 12* bounce, and 52* w/ 12*)) and will let you know how it works out for me.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Wish I had a place to do wedge testing like in the titleist video. That is the process my fitter described.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here's the link

I mean, I'm off the school of if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you want to explore good on ya!

Thank you, just watched the video. A quick follow-up question, do you have your wedges bent upright/downright to match the rest of you irons?

I've always just played with of the rack specs...well almost off the rack, I change the grip to match my irons.

My fitter recommended matching the sets lie progression.

Thank you, just watched the video. A quick follow-up question, do you have your wedges bent upright/downright to match the rest of you irons?

I've always just played with of the rack specs...well almost off the rack, I change the grip to match my irons.

I had mine bent to fill a gap. My 52 is a 53 and my 56 is a 57, and if my 60 ever shows up it will be a 61.

You might find that they all go very close to the same distance. You could end up with a 50 and a 58 to fit your needs correctly. Or any other combo.

Well Zylem, I do in my 50 and 55, both 1* up. My 60 is Standard because I get away with either and I just like the way it sits in my hands at standard with that loft. Of course, I also one length, so again, another variable that we will be different on.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Archived