jlukes

TaylorMade M5 & M6 Fairway Woods Thread

The Rocket 3.... oh great. The SLDR TS might not be safe.

Continued from Taylor Made Press Release on M5 and M6 Lineup:

M5 Fairway — Titanium with a Twist

Following comprehensive research and analytics of thousands of shots, TaylorMade engineers have also successfully incorporated its breakthrough Twist Face technology into a fairway wood. Like the M drivers, the faces have been modified to counteract the gear effect on common mis-hits in the high-toe and low-heel. Although the concept is the same as in the driver, the exact geometry is slightly different to account for the unique mass properties and impact location patterns in fairway woods compared to drivers.

299847 tm19 m5 fwy dscfacetight v1 703470 large 1546451298

The M5 fairway also represents a complete re-engineering of TaylorMade adjustable fairways. The M5 fairway features an advanced multi-material head construction with a titanium body, 5-layer carbon composite crown with a steel movable weight — a trimaterial construction. The two low-density components – carbon and titanium – led to more discretionary weight, which engineers used to completely redesign the sliding weight system for a lower CG location and increased adjustability.

299844 tm19 m5 fwy dsc08980 v1 760ac7 large 1546451004

The M5’s adjustable weight system features a 65g movable steel weight, which is slightly more than 30% of the total head weight, allowing for generous draw/fade adjustability. The position of the steel weight creates a lower center of gravity for a more efficient energy transfer with higher launch and lower spin. The unique design of movable weight also creates a more seamless sole contour, producing smoother turf interaction regardless of the weight position. The M5 fairway also features a more streamlined 12-position loft sleeve for up to 4° of adjustability (+-2°).        

fairway wood is a new super adjustable fairway wood featuring ground-breaking new titanium-carbon construction with a massive 65-gram movable weight. This is the first ever fairway wood to use our revolutionary Twist Face technology r unparalleled accuracy and game-changing performance.

Specifications, Pricing & Availability

Available for preorder on January 18 and at retail on February 1, 2019 at an MSRP of $399.99 USD, the M5 fairway will be offered in Rocket 3/14° (RH only), 3/15° and 5/18° lofts and come equipped with a Mitsubishi CK Tensei Orange 75 (X) and 65 (S, R) with numerous additional shaft options available at no additional cost. The stock grip is the MCC Decade grip from Golf Pride.

M6 Fairway Wood

The M6 fairway adds to TaylorMade’s rich lineage of high-performance fairway woods with the addition of revolutionary Twist Face technology in a fairway for the first time (alongside the M5); the result is an explosive, yet playable fairway from the tee or off the deck. New in '19 is the addition of ‘Rocket 3’ a 14° offering for those seeking reduced spin and slightly increased ballspeed.

Advanced Speed Pocket™ Design

The Speed Pocket has been re-engineered for the M6 fairway woods to provide even more ball speed on low face impacts. A new TPU slot insert has also been designed to sit flush with the sole to improve sole interaction and eliminate turf drag from the Speed Pocket.

299862 299713 tm19 m6 fwy dsc09885 v1 608a4f original 1546427811 84dc7c large 1546452400

The M6 fairways also improve performance over the M4 by optimizing CG placement directly behind center face, producing maximum energy transfer at impact. Maintaining a very low center of gravity, the face height of the M6 fairways is also slightly taller, creating a more confidence-inspiring look at address with more available impact area on the clubface. The new larger carbon composite crown increases discretionary mass which is concentrated low in the head, lowering CG for a higher launch while maintaining high MOI for excellent forgiveness.

M6 D-Type Fairway Wood

In addition to the M6 fairway, TaylorMade has also created an M6 D-Type fairway, engineered with the same technologies in a more draw-biased package. This is accomplished through divergent face masking and modified internal weighting that effectively delivers additional draw bias in the ball flight up to 15 yards.

Specifications, Pricing & Availability

Available for preorder on January 18 and at retail on February 1, 2019 at an MSRP of $299.99 USD, the M6 fairway woods will be offered in Rocket 3/14°, 3/15°, 5/18°, 7/21° and 9/24° lofts, equipped with Fujikura’s Atmos Orange FW shaft in S, R and A-flexes. The M6 D-Type will be offered in 3/16°, 5/19° (5) & 7/22° lofts and come equipped with the Project X EvenFlow Max Carry 50 shaft in 6.0 (S), 5.5 (R) and 5.0 (A). The stock men’s grip is the Lamkin Dual Feel grip and the stock ladies grip is the Lamkin Comfort Plus Dual Feel grip.

• Like 2

I am bummed about the M6 fairway wood.  Why couldn't they have put all of the tech from the M5 (minus the moveable weight) in it?  Seems like it is just an afterthought

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I am bummed about the M6 fairway wood.  Why couldn't they have put all of the tech from the M5 (minus the moveable weight) in it?  Seems like it is just an afterthought

My guess is based on past sales experience of what customers have gone with drive the design  offerings and lofts

Agree with Jlukes, m6 fairway looks like a throw in in terms of research and product development. M5 fairway looks pretty nice,  titanium for the first time since r11.

But then the lack of an m5 hybrid is a little confusing. 

That said,  they look better than last years. Numbers will tell. 

WT. F.... a $100 bump in price?

NM. SLDR is safe.

WT. F.... a $100 bump in price?

NM. SLDR is safe.

I bet you'd get along great with an M3

• Like 1

$399 for a FW metal?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    skiguy327

• By THEZIPR23
      Almost a total remodel of the bag.

Epic Flash SZ 10.5 set at -1 N Graphite Design Tour AD TSG Blue X (45")
      M3 15 set at -2 Paderson Fairway KG 860-F30 S
      Epic Flash SZ 18 set at S N Tensei AV Blue 70 X
       Z585 4 & 5 KBS C Taper S
       Z785 6-AW KBS C Taper S
       Glide Forged 56 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
       Glide Forged 60 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
       SS 28 CS 33"

Driver: Thank you MGS, flat out the best driver I have ever had in the bag.
      3W: A random purchase after being unable to hit the original epic 3w. Put same shaft that I was fit for in the epic and it has been a match made in heaven. Absolute money from the tee and I know exactly what it will do from the fairway. Combined with the driver there are not many par 5's that I can't reach. 
      5W: Solid club but this spot has always been a trouble spot in my bag and that hasn't changed in 20 years. 
      Irons: Love the combo and they feel absolutely amazing. All of them are 1* strong, standard lie and +1/2" Biggest thing I was looking for in making the change was more control. They definitely fly different than P790's but hopefully after an adjustment period they will meet or exceed my expectations. 
      Wedges: A different look from what I am used to but feel is amazing. The shaft on full swings is so easy for me to deliver correctly. 
      Putter: Not a fast revolving door but one that moves some. Have gotten used to the look of the center shaft but still struggling with alignment some. 
      Ball: Titleist PROV1X #23 imprinted with THEZIPR in blue. Have played this ball since its birth and while I have tried many other options nothing has been able to kick it out. 
      Rangefinder: Bushnell PRO X2 
      Glove: Footjoy Weathersof. Love the Ping tour glove but at the rate I go through gloves I just can't justify the price difference.
      Shoes: Ecco Biom G 3 BOA and Biom Hybrid 3 BOA. Most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. 

• By the_hammer
      I have been using my new MG2 for a few weeks now and really like the feel. I have 2 other Taylormade wedges that I have used for the last few years and this one just feels different. It also passes the eye test as I seem to be getting more spin on the ball than I have before with the other wedges. Would like to know others thoughts on them. Thanks. 
    • By jddaigneault
      I’m new to reviewing, but here goes. 
      I haven’t seen much about the Ardmore line, never mind the Ardmore 3. It is part of taylormades TP series, and absolutely is worth a look. I recently bought one of the black copper series, and it is awesome. 
      The look:
      It is a smaller, more compact version of a mallet. It reminds me a bit of the odyssey 7 series, but more its stubby awkward cousin. The flanges on the back look like they’d be for scooping a ball up, but this feature does not work very well. Most of the details come in the form of red accents, giving the putter a hot rod feel. The grip is a new superstroke pistol grip, with increased volume in the palm. It makes for a very relaxed hold on the club. 
      The biggest negative is the headcover. When will taylormade stop using Velcro? It’s a pain in the butt! Magnetic closure please!
      Performance:
      This club has 42 degrees of toe hang, so it is great for someone with an arcing putter stroke. It has some decent heft to it, so it feels controlled throughout the swing. The face is very responsive. My prior putter had a softer face, so it felt like I had to hit it harder than I thought based on the length of the putt and speed of the greens. This made lags very difficult to judge. The ball comes off the face of the Ardmore a lot hotter, which makes lag putts far more manageable. The only adjustment comes with downhill putts that are fairly short. It can be difficult to touch them light enough not to see them run way past the hole if your line is off. Speaking of line, the alignment aid is quite nice, making putts very easy to line up. It rolls them true, and I’ve seen my average putts per round go from about 37 with my old putter to 33 with the Ardmore. 
      No more blaming the flat stick for a bad round!
      If you’re someone who has a fairly pronounced arc in your stroke, and struggles with lag putts, I highly recommend this putter. You can’t beat the price either, coming in below the odyssey lines, and well below the spider!
    • By jrr811
      Hey Folks, new in town here, my buddy JohnSmalls said I should go ahead and share WITB!

Scratch Tour Issue Staff Bag
      Taylormade RBZ 10.5* Driver
      Taylormade M2 15* 3 Wood
      Adams Proto 18* Hybrid
      Scratch Jeff McCoy Ground AR-1 2i
      Scratch SB-1 3-9 
      Scratch 47/60 1018 Wedges
      Scratch 53 David Duval Proto 53 Wedge
      Scratch Prototype Putter
      BB&F Imperial Ferrules
      Kirkland Signature Tour Performance 

• By Maltenator
      Current 2019 WITB. I just swapped over to all new everything to reinvent my game, and so far it's helping. I've dropped 6 strokes off my typical score and went down from  13 to a 10 on my handicap. All by getting fitted again after 6 years, and getting new gear. So without further ado...

Sun Mountain C130 USA bag  Driver - PXG 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 66 G Stiff 3 Wood - TM M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff 19* Hybrid - TM M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff 22* Hyrbid - TM M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff Irons - PXG 0211 5-PW - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff Wedges - PXG 0211 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff All wrapped in Standard Winn Gray/Red Dri-Tacs Putter - Scotty Cameron - Newport 1.5 - 33" - Super Stroke 5.0 FATSO Ball - TM TP5 or Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis yellow and black

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!