Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PING G irons power spec lofts... Who has them?

Grand Stranded

The one thing I never liked about the G series irons was that I always thought other clubs in their category went further, especially from 7 iron down. I love everything else about them though, the high ball flight, forgiving wide sole, the offset.. the entire look basically.

I’m in my mid 60’s, and  play a light weight regular flex graphite shaft in my irons. I just came upon a post talking about the power spec option in Ping irons. If I had known about this before, I might never have played any iron other than a Ping, lol.

My questions for those who have this option in G series irons are...

1. Has it lowered your ball flight significantly? ( not sure I want that)

2. How much do you think it’s helped with distance in each club?  (I’m looking for a little more in the G’s, but I don’t expect them to be Rogue X long)

3. Do you feel like it’s altered the basic idea behind the club? For example, less forgiveness and not as straight a ball flight?

Thanks for your time guys, and I appreciate any replys I get. I’m especially interested in what the guys who hit their normal 7 about 130-155 range think. You animals who hit your 7 irons 170 and up play a different game than I do.  😩

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:            :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 22* & 25*

Irons:             :mizuno-small:  JPX 923 HM 6-AW

Wedges:        :ping-small: Tour Issue Glide 4.0 54-12

:ping-small:  Tour Issue Glide 4.0 58-10

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

I had been playing the PING G series irons for the past few years, but recently swapped them out for a used set of Callaway Forged Razr X irons.  I can't speak to whether mine were a power spec option, as I honestly don't even know what that is.  I can say that the entire time I played my G irons I was never really satisfied with them, but kept them because of the cost associated with me purchasing them.  It was totally an accident that I swapped to the Callaway Razr irons, as a buddy of mine let me hit the 7 iron, and I was very enamored with them instantly.

The G irons just really never seemed to work for me, mostly from a feel perspective.  I consider myself a total feel player, and on misshits the G irons were just horribly off.  I will say that PING bent over backwards for me with the G irons, having my shafts swapped out from stiff flex to regular flex, but ultimately for me it doesn't solve the feel issue of these irons for me.  And honestly, I'm about a 5 handicap, and the G irons are game improvement irons.  I really need something I can shape better, and that has a better feel.  I've found that in the Callaway Razrs.  I'd post pics of the size difference between the G and the Razr, but I'll simply say that the Razrs are half the size and width.  But man, when you connect on them, it's such a sweet feeling.

I don't know if any of this helps you, and I hope I haven't jacked your thread.  Hopefully something I wrote is worth something to you.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I used G15 irons not too far back, but those are more of an old school thick faced iron these days before they had power lofts so I can't help. My expectations are that bending strong will increase distance lowering launch and spin.  I don't think the difference would be dramatic.

The G410s for example power spec lofts in 6 iron, 7 iron, etc.. is 1.5*.  I'd expect to get just shy of 1/2 a club, but this is speculation.

Hopefully some people will weigh in who have the power spec lofts.

Dave