Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New shaft alignment question

JY56

I have a new shaft arriving soon that is going to be installed in my driver. With all the information I have seen lately with regards to spine aligning and FLO I am wondering what to have the installer do. Are these shafts aligned from the manufacturer so the logo should be up, or is it always just hit and miss. Shaft is a Hzrdus  if I have the installer find the spine, what happens if I rotate the hosel to adjust the loft/lie ? 

Spine aligning has proven to be pretty useless.  It would help if you swing the club on the exact same plane for the entire swing, but that just isn't the case.  The golfer is applying forces in many different directions throughout the golf swing.

Renowned golf scientist Dr. Sasho Mackenzie did a study on this and found no correlation to spin placement to accuracy or distance.  in fact, if anything, he found that the spine at 45* to the face was found to be most effective, but even then the values were hardly statistically significant.

Here is Dr. Sasho Mackenzie discussing it with Andrew Rice.  Starts at the 50:47 mark

In answer to your question, if you alter the loft or lie by rotating the shaft from the original position that the spine aligning identified, then any benefit would be lost.  I'll leave the debate as to effectiveness of Puring to others.  Oh, and also you asked about the label...the manufacturers generally do not do any spine aligning procedure prior to labeling, so it isn't an indicator.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

There's no benefit to the spine, flo, pure whatever.  Shafts, especially modern ones, are very, very consistent. 

PXG 0811 X/70S Ahina
Cobra F9 Tour/80S Diamana B
Mizuno MP18 FliHi (3) MMC (4-P)/Tensei White X
Maltby M Tour 50&58/KBS 610 125S+
Evnroll ER2.2
Snell MTBX

The label up in relation to FLO is done with select manufacturers. Xcaliber is one of them. Red line at 12, white line at 9 or to the target. Label up...
Setting a shaft to FLO can make a difference. The first time you take a shaft and use a laser pointer mounted to the tip of the shaft and twanged.... you get a shock when its not on flat line oscillation. It almost immediately starts to cycle in a large oval. You realize how unstable the shaft can be. Now find FLO and the shaft suddenly becomes very stable.
Iron shafts, steel in particular seem far less sensitive to being in FLO. Label up or down most steel shafts are just as happy.
If its an adjustable driver, some adapters keep the shaft stable and you rotate the movable part of the connector. Some have the shaft rotate. So that example make FLO sort of moot.
I have slapped clubs together and gotten great results. I've been meticulous about assembly and orientation and gotten great results as well. I prefer to set up the club to give myself or another the best chance to have a great club. So I set it to FLO.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, csamsh said:

There's no benefit to the spine, flo, pure whatever.  Shafts, especially modern ones, are very, very consistent. 

Yup - think of it this way:

Don't you think shaft manufacturers would love the opportunity to upcharge shafts that have been marked with "spines" or flo orientation?  

So Project X could charge

$200 for a HZRDUS Smoke Black

$400 for HZRDUS Smoke Black Small Batch (marketing BS)

$500 for HZRDUS Smoke Black Small Batch Spine Marked  

But they don't.  It is something club builders try to add on

3 hours ago, csamsh said:

Couple of us have argued the SAME thing, but there is always "the guru" who says " there is a "spine" where the wrapping meet and have to be taken in consideration .

I feel the same about orienting the golf ball in a certain way when you tee off.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

If you are going to be one of those people that will always second guess yourself and question, "would that have helped", then go ahead and get it done.

I definitely would not pay for it.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4