Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

Yesterday, while on vacation, I had a lesson with Monte Scheinblum, who I learned about from Golfwrx and have been following regularly. Although I have been taking lessons at Golftec regularly since August, yesterday's lesson was what made me realize what the true root cause of my swing problems are. Here is a video of before and after swings taking during a single one hour lesson

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I believe better course management and some semblance of a short game will get me into the 90s regularly. Developing more consistency off the tee and from the fairway will get me to finally break 90 someday.

Good luck to you!  Keep us posted on your progress.  For a great thread on course management, check out this thread:

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

which is before and which is after? 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

42 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

which is before and which is after? 

Left is before

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Keep at it - especially with short game practice. As someone who started playing after retirement it seemed like forever to get into the 90's. This past season I finally broke the 90 barrier but still have the occasional stinky round that has kept my handicap up. I practice a lot especially 100 yds in and consider that to be the best part of my game now. The worst part is what's between the ears - I have to figure out how to recover quickly from a bad hole. It seems to take me 2-3 holes to do that.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Most recent swing video, trying to instill what I learned from my recent lesson with Monte

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

I have broken 90 only twice (picked up this stupid game in '12) so I'm no one to give advice but I used Dave Pelz's clock method with short game. I don't have a feel for shots like one of my buddies does. I give him a yardage and he pulls the same club and can knock down a spinner or loft one up into low earth orbit...that's not my game. It's more technical than feel for me and it seems to simplify it. I'm fortunate that I have several wedges that were given to me or I found on the cheap on eBay. 

I haven’t had any time to practice since the end of December. It has been a tough start to the new year. My wife was hospitalized with bacterial meningitis, which is a life threatening illness. We are fortunate it was caught early on enough that she was treated and she is on the road to recovery and is now out of the hospital.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Praying for a speedy recovery for your wife!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you very much

Updated 07/15/2022

I haven’t had any time to practice since the end of December. It has been a tough start to the new year. My wife was hospitalized with bacterial meningitis, which is a life threatening illness. We are fortunate it was caught early on enough that she was treated and she is on the road to recovery and is now out of the hospital.

Glad to hear it was caught in time. Hope 2020 brings good health.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

21 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Glad to hear it was caught in time. Hope 2020 brings good health.

Thank you

Updated 07/15/2022

I'm glad to hear you all caught it in the early stages and she's on the road to recovery. I hope and pray she gets better soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

34 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm glad to hear you all caught it in the early stages and she's on the road to recovery. I hope and pray she gets better soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you, appreciate it.

Updated 07/15/2022

Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery.  Looks like you are the right track.  You have a good coach.  I've been following Monte for most of last year, and in August my wife and I went to Monte's clinic in Snohomish.  He knows what you need to change and he has a no-nonsense way of describing it.  He's improved my swing this year, but I have more to do.

The short game is crucial to reaching your goals.  You can't practice it enough.  I started golf late in life (mid-40's), but my handicap only came down significantly when I worked on chipping, pitching and putting.  As the short game improves, so does your confidence, and that leads to lower scores.

Best of luck on your quest!!  I hope to see Monte again soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

42 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery.  Looks like you are the right track.  You have a good coach.  I've been following Monte for most of last year, and in August my wife and I went to Monte's clinic in Snohomish.  He knows what you need to change and he has a no-nonsense way of describing it.  He's improved my swing this year, but I have more to do.

The short game is crucial to reaching your goals.  You can't practice it enough.  I started golf late in life (mid-40's), but my handicap only came down significantly when I worked on chipping, pitching and putting.  As the short game improves, so does your confidence, and that leads to lower scores.

Best of luck on your quest!!  I hope to see Monte again soon.

Thank you.

Will you be at the Monte clinic this summer in the Seattle area? I'm hoping it is in Snohomish because I live nearby. I am for sure going to attend as long as the dates work.

Updated 07/15/2022

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Thank you.

Will you be at the Monte clinic this summer in the Seattle area? I'm hoping it is in Snohomish because I live nearby. I am for sure going to attend as long as the dates work.

I probably will.  We usually go to Seattle area in the summer to play with friends, so will coordinate that trip.

I am also thinking of going to Monte's course in Irvine, CA: less people, more 1 on 1 time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Update as of 1/12/20

Give my wife’s medical situation, i haven’t gotten a chance to go to the driving range. I have been focused on putting at home. I have one of those 12 foot Birdie putting greens that i practice on everyday.

I am also going to start the Fit For Golf 101 program this week. I would like to improve my overall fitness and lose about 10 pounds.

Updated 07/15/2022

Today was my first day that i could make it to the driving range. Had some good swing and some bad, but a big reduction in the big hooks and big pulls. I also think i have a good idea what i am doing wrong when im making bad swings, so need to avoid that.

Updated 07/15/2022

In the last few days, I made the decision that I will be joining the local country club in my area, which is 5 minutes from my house. I believe this will give me more time to practice, because I can go to the range anytime, and also go out for a few holes mid-day or after work to practice. I qualify for the young professional membership, so the rates are pretty good and the initiation fee is very low.

Updated 07/15/2022

During my recent practice sessions, have been having up and downs with my swing. I think my problem is too much head movement (down during the backswing and forward on the downswing), as well as arms getting stuck to my chest.

The other thing I am pondering is whether I was fit correctly into my irons. I was fit into C Taper Lite X-flex because my swing speed was recorded at 85 MPH with a 7 iron, and a "chart" said I should be in X-flex. I was fit back in June, when I knew almost nothing about club fitting, so I trusted the fitter at the golf shop I went to. I was basically given multiple X-flex shafts to try and was asked which weight feels better. We didn't go through any numbers of the launch monitor at all. I now believe that while I do have swing issues to work through, the X-flex is not helping with my low trajectory issues.

Updated 07/15/2022

During my recent practice sessions, have been having up and downs with my swing. I think my problem is too much head movement (down during the backswing and forward on the downswing), as well as arms getting stuck to my chest.
The other thing I am pondering is whether I was fit correctly into my irons. I was fit into C Taper Lite X-flex because my swing speed was recorded at 85 MPH with a 7 iron, and a "chart" said I should be in X-flex. I was fit back in June, when I knew almost nothing about club fitting, so I trusted the fitter at the golf shop I went to. I was basically given multiple X-flex shafts to try and was asked which weight feels better. We didn't go through any numbers of the launch monitor at all. I now believe that while I do have swing issues to work through, the X-flex is not helping with my low trajectory issues.

Without seeing your swing it is impossible to tell I’d head or arms are even an issue. Feel does not equate to what you may really be doing.

Fitting based on swing speed isn’t the best way. There are other factors that should be looked at for fitting flex like launch, spin, shaft load, etc. IMO if just looking at 85 mph 7 iron that probably puts you in stiff not X. Weight is about tempo and getting the face back to the correct impact position not what “feels” good.

Just my thought and hope you can achieve your goal.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As someone who spent 20 years trying to figure out this game by myself I offer a piece of advice. Get someone to look at your swing, take a lesson. It speeds up the process immensely. I finally took one a year ago and changed the way I approach my swing. 

The head movement is generally a cause and not the effect. Thus why taking a lesson is huge. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Without seeing your swing it is impossible to tell I’d head or arms are even an issue. Feel does not equate to what you may really be doing.

Fitting based on swing speed isn’t the best way. There are other factors that should be looked at for fitting flex like launch, spin, shaft load, etc. IMO if just looking at 85 mph 7 iron that probably puts you in stiff not X. Weight is about tempo and getting the face back to the correct impact position not what “feels” good.

Just my thought and hope you can achieve your goal.

Thanks. I was told by an instructor that the head was an issue, and I think i started regressing a bit with the head movement based on recent video. I'm going to get some additional feedback from the instructor soon.

Regarding the fitting, I now know a lot more. Really went into that original fitting clueless and just depended entirely on the fitter without knowing even the right questions to ask. Also, I don't think I should be fit into a X either.

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

As someone who spent 20 years trying to figure out this game by myself I offer a piece of advice. Get someone to look at your swing, take a lesson. It speeds up the process immensely. I finally took one a year ago and changed the way I approach my swing. 

The head movement is generally a cause and not the effect. Thus why taking a lesson is huge. 

Agree on the lesson part. I had been taking a lot of lessons, but one in-person lesson with Monte Scheinblum was a game changer. I've been working through his feedback and now am trying to fine tune some issues. Some of my old habits are coming back.

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Agree on the lesson part. I had been taking a lot of lessons, but one in-person lesson with Monte Scheinblum was a game changer. I've been working through his feedback and now am trying to fine tune some issues. Some of my old habits are coming back.

It has taken me just under 1 full year to implement what my instructor gave me. It's not easy and old habits creep in all the time. Your on the right track. Keep putting in the time and you'll reach your goals. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I joined a country club yesterday and played 18. Was great practice, but it was so wet out that i stopped putting at some point and didn't keep score. It wasn't realistic to putt on such slow greens, and even the holes were filled almost to the top with water.

On another note, I started to become frustrated with my low trajectory shots and fighting pulls and pull hooks. I had started to wonder if I was fit into the wrong clubs/shafts. I went to golftec for a fitting today. The fitting made me learn that my C-Taper Lite X-flex shafts were not a good fit for me. I fit better into lighter weight steel shafts in the 100 gram range. When I tried the lighter shaft, my trajectory went up, distance improved, and no more pull hooks unless I put the really bad swing on it. I actually started to hit small, controlled fades, which I actually prefer because I am scared of the lefts.

I also tried the new Callaway Mavrik Max irons. I hit those even better. 170 yard carry with about 120 mph ball speed, that is about 10 yards more carry. I triple confirmed that it wasn't due to jacked up lofts, both the Mavrik Max and 919 hot metal 7 irons are 30 degrees. The dispersion was even better. An upgrade in irons may be coming soon.

Updated 07/15/2022

I joined a country club yesterday and played 18. Was great practice, but it was so wet out that i stopped putting at some point and didn't keep score. It wasn't realistic to putt on such slow greens, and even the holes were filled almost to the top with water.
On another note, I started to become frustrated with my low trajectory shots and fighting pulls and pull hooks. I had started to wonder if I was fit into the wrong clubs/shafts. I went to golftec for a fitting today. The fitting made me learn that my C-Taper Lite X-flex shafts were not a good fit for me. I fit better into lighter weight steel shafts in the 100 gram range. When I tried the lighter shaft, my trajectory went up, distance improved, and no more pull hooks unless I put the really bad swing on it. I actually started to hit small, controlled fades, which I actually prefer because I am scared of the lefts.
I also tried the new Callaway Mavrik Max irons. I hit those even better. 170 yard carry with about 120 mph ball speed, that is about 10 yards more carry. I triple confirmed that it wasn't due to jacked up lofts, both the Mavrik Max and 919 hot metal 7 irons are 30 degrees. The dispersion was even better. An upgrade in irons may be coming soon.

Congrats on the new club. I’ll speak for others when I say we’d love to see some photos of the course
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/