Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

GolfSpy MPR

image.png

By common consensus, the Titleist TS series of drivers were a major success. Titleist is looking to build off that with their latest series of drivers, the TSi.

We need some Forum members to let us know how the newest release of Titleist drivers perform, not just on Tour, but in the hands of golfers like us. Handling the testing this time will be:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

62 year old, male golfer, high SINGLE digit handicap, seeks NEW DRIVER for long term relationship.  I enjoy long walks in the fairway, wedges and short irons into par 4s, and avoiding trees and the beach as much as possible.  Good looks a plus, but I’m more interested in forgiveness of my many faults.  Only serious candidates need apply.

Buying a new golf club is a bit like dating.  You are attracted to a club based on its internet profile and looks.  You swipe right and take it out a few times to see if you are a match, discover the things you like about it and the areas in which the club is lacking.

IMG_5143.jpg.2b9541ada8461d3e47c37b6c0be45b1a.jpg

This is the story of my courtship with the Titleist TSi2, thanks to MGS and Titleist. 

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

The MGS/Titleist TSi testing opportunity came at just the right time as I was contemplating breaking up with my old driver.  I have played the Callaway Big Bertha Fusion for 4 years:  10.5 degrees, Mamiya Recoil 450 ES, F3 (56 grams), which Mamiya characterizes as a mid to high launch shaft.  The Fusion is known has high MOI, very forgiving and stable, without compromising distance. 

While the BB Fusion has served me well, I have changed in the last 4 years.  My average score has gone down 14 strokes per round, I’ve lost weight and gained swing speed.  My average drive went up 20 yards and my P-average went up 35 yards.  It was time to tell my Callaway, “It’s not you, it’s me.”IMG_5177.jpg.fbba9afb2af3faac53f575127bf39952.jpg

Pride and Prejudice?

In the fall, I started to research drivers to demo.  I admit to being a bit prejudiced against Titleist clubs.  They are the Mr. Darcy of golf clubs—prideful, status oriented and conceited, not for the average Joe.  Are the TS, and the new TSi a change for Titleist?  

The TSi’s on-line profile made a lot of claims:

1.      Pure Distance.  Features a deep, lower CG to maximize distance through Speed Optimized MOI design.

2.     New Face.  New Possibilities.  [A] driver face that delivers increased ball speed at every point of contact.

3.     Faster in the Air.  Faster at Impact.  Improved aerodynamics lead to added speed…look square at address, with a shape as satisfying as the sound.

Are the claims real, or was I being Catfished? 

IMG_5161.jpg.e00bfccbc5c701333e06fba69ab09fe4.jpg

Come Rain or Come Shine

We first met at a driving range on a cold and foggy day in Iowa near the end of October.  Picture Rick and Ilsa at the end of Casablanca, and you get a feel for the conditions.  While romantic in the movies, it’s not great when you can’t see your shots land because of the fog.  Thank goodness for launch monitors.  By the end of the fitting, I was encouraged.  “Luis, this is  (could be) the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

The key takeaways:  1.  Take advantage of Titleist Thursdays for a free fitting.  I ended up with a different shaft from what I would have ordered without the fitting.  2.  The experience was very low stress and there was no pressure to buy.  3.  Setting it up was easy and communication from Titleist was excellent.  Titleist Thursday is a great way to meet cute clubs and see if there is a spark without the pressure of paying for dinner and a movie.  

Based on the fitting, I ordered the Tsi2.          

.  IMG_5081.jpg.cbbd96c8401679cff358b12b88c23946.jpg

The TSi2 and I arrived at my Florida house on the same day, November 2.   

On to the main review:

Looks--The First Time, Ever I Saw Your Face (8 out of 10)

For most of my golfing life, looks really didn’t matter.  I was in the If You Want to be Happy for the Rest of Your Life camp.  In the 90’s I played Ping Zing 2 irons.  In the 2000’s I had the Nike Sasquatch Sumo driver, which wasn’t exactly known for its great body or stunning face.  The Fusion is better looking, but still not a lingerie model.  It has a great personality. 

The TSi2 is a good looking club.  The club head is a bit elongated, but not as much as my Callaway.  

IMG_5169.jpg.cc6d7a0c7dab94669729d18046c1fb3e.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg.006184717453efd17a84e27fc6e6363a.jpg

At the fitting, I checked out the TSi3, which has a more classic look—more rounded, not as long.  But the TSi2 is good looking for a high MOI driver.  I personally like the high gloss finish, which is complimented by the matte shaft.

It sets up nice and square to the ball and target.  When I set up to the ball, I can see the face of the club.  The contrast from the highlighted mid-section of the face helps with consistent set up. 

IMG_5158.jpg.06598e257547ac79d16486e0523b379b.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg.e8656e44d0d3772597a095096854e2e5.jpg

The club is clean, simple, and dare I say, classic.  There is nothing on the head to distract.  No bright colors or intrusive logos.  It’s a 10 when compared to other high MOI drivers, but only and 8 when compared to all the drivers out there.   

Sound and FeelHooked on a Feeling (10 out of 10)

I love the solid “thwack” from a well hit ball.  To my ear, it’s not tinny or metallic sounding at all, which the Fusion is on mishits.  I mentioned that I once played the Nike Sumo—one of the worst sounding drivers of all time.  On the range, other golfers would turn and stare when I hit balls, some would dive for cover.  After a few minutes, all the other golfers on the range would “move away from me on the Group W. bench.”  Not so with the Titleist.  The sound is duller when you hit on the toe or heel, but it does not cross the line into unpleasant.    

It feels solid, even on miss hits.  I can feel where I make contact on the face much more so than with the Fusion and there is less twisting on mishits.  Balls, especially range balls, do leave a bit of residue on the face.  I can match feel to actual strike location.  I played two rounds with the same Pro-V and didn’t notice and extra wear and tear on the ball, however.  

IMG_5082.jpg.17a601f3e9a192668393fe0cefdeafa4.jpg

All I can say after hitting the TSi2 is Ooga Chuka, Ooga Ooga.   

Basic CharacteristicsGetting to Know You (16 out of 20)

Our first five dates were on the driving range.  Here, reality didn’t quite live up to the promises. 

“Improved aerodynamics lead to improved speed.”  Yeah, not so much.  I hit hundreds of balls on the launch monitor comparing my old club to the Titleist.  Averaging them all together, I saw less than 1 MPH of clubhead speed.  

“Pure Distance.”  Again, not so much.  Drivers are maxed out on center hits.  My best drives were indistinguishable.  No driver is going past 1.49 smash factor.  Sorry.  

So the Titleist failed to live up to it’s profile on two if it’s central claims.  How about the last?

“A driver face that delivers increased ball speed at every point of contact.”  Okay.  Now we’re getting somewhere.  The Fusion is high MOI.  The Titleist is better. Ball speeds jumped on less than perfect hits.  High on the face, low on the face, it didn’t matter too much.  As long as contact was in the central (textured) part of the face, ball speed was excellent.  On severe toe and heel shots, speed dropped, but not as much as with the Callaway.  

I deducted points because the club didn’t live up to two of its profile claims.    

IMG_5173.jpg.98cbc93d451f3229532e8c8ae4d571a1.jpg

On CourseFun, Fun, Fun and I’m a Believer (28 out of 30)

I hadn’t kicked the Titleist out of bed for eating crackers, so it was time to introduce it to the real world.  On course performance is excellent.  I played multiple rounds hitting both drivers off the tee to compare performance.  What I found on the range held true on the course. 

My good shots were about the same, but slight miss hits were better and big miss-hits were much better.  I found more fairways and first cuts.  Dispersion was better.  Also, the Titleist is a bit more workable.  On my Florida course, I have three par 4s that call for less than a driver off the tee if hitting straight, but allow for driver hit with a draw.  The Titleist gave me the confidence to hit a draw and I gained substantial distance on those holes as a result. 

The launch characteristics of the Titleist and Callaway were similar, but the Titleist was straighter and longer over all.  Head to head in a best ball situation, I ended up playing more shots from the Titleist.      

Miscellaneous--Happy Together (8 out of 10) 

I knocked two points off here, albeit, I might be a bit picky.  The crown of the club does show “idiot marks” when sky balls are hit.  They don’t buff out like on a matte head.  And I do wonder about how the club will hold up looks-wise long term.  After two months, the club is showing a bit of wear, more so than I expected.  But it was rode hard and put up wet. 

IMG_5172.jpg.f75c6f8c22f25ffb57f65b89be603468.jpg

Play it or Trade ItWhen I’m 64 (18 out of 20)

The Titleist is in the bag.  I plan to play it—hopefully long term.  I took two points off here simply because the TSi2 head is not adjustable.  It might be nice to tweak it a bit over time.

Will I still love it "when I’m 64?"  I’ll let you know in 15 months.  

Total Score—88 out of 100.

Summary

The Titleist TSi2 is a good looking, great sounding and solid driver.  It is very forgiving, more so than the super high MOI Fusion.  My over all distance is better and dispersion has improved.   

Getting fit at Titleist Thursday was a great experience and highly recommended.  

The TSi2 changed my perception of the Titleist brand.  They do make clubs for mere mortals.  

Do I recommend you buy one?  No.  Do I recommend you try one?  Yes.  If you want forgiveness without losing distance, add it to your demo list.  

This 64 year old, high single digit handicapper with a mid 90s MPH swing speed, found a match in the TSi2.

Edited by alfriday101

This will be a great review topic, I am excited about it and still a bit jealous of the testers here.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

🤩 yessssssssss, is papa getting a new TSI head to go with the hulk shaft?! This thread will be the determining factor! Good luck all

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Following, closely.  The new face material is intriguing; Titleist is normally not an OEM I'd associate with overblown performance statements that its products can't back up.  If these live up to the hype you testers are in for a treat.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

29 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

@Golfspy_CG2 and the fine folks at Titleist have set me up to get fitted here tomorrow...I am officially the luckiest SOB on this site! MUCH more to come very soon...

About | TPI

That is going to be awesome. If it weren't for COVID, I would definitely be down for a day trip to Oceanside.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

32 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

@Golfspy_CG2 and the fine folks at Titleist have set me up to get fitted here tomorrow...I am officially the luckiest SOB on this site! MUCH more to come very soon...

About | TPI

Awesome; try to take a few pics and share the experience, this is an incredible opportunity in and of itself, never mind the club!

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Following, closely.  The new face material is intriguing; Titleist is normally not an OEM I'd associate with overblown performance statements that its products can't back up.  If these live up to the hype you testers are in for a treat.

Apparently the new face material they're using has been used on the Mars rover... that alone is exciting! 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

An initial background on my game, specifically re: the driver.

• I am currently a 5.1 handicap. I have a pretty quick tempo, aggressive transition, and when I was last fitted was in the 106-108 mph swing speed range with the driver. 
  • Historically the driver was always the best part of my game, with 275 yd tight draws *when my timing was right*. 
  • My timing started getting bad and I decided to work on a swing change to get rid of my early extension & flipping issues about 2 years ago. It's been an adventure but my handicap is now as low as it has ever been and I feel much more confident... with 13 of the clubs in my bag. The exception is, the driver has been legitimately awful during that time and is now the worst part of my game. WTF!
  • I got fitted a little over a year ago with Truespec. The prescription from that was Epic Flash SZ with the Ventus Blue 6x, at something like $1000 all-in. I didn't want to fork over that much, and figured I'd find it on ebay for cheaper. So I bought a raw Ventus, and found an Epic Flash SZ (3 diamond) head thinking they were a bit fade-biased so could only help my issues, which have historically been lefts. At under $700 all-in, I was feeling pretty smart with my decision...
  • I'm not sure if it was my continued swing evolution, the difference between the standard Epic Flash SZ and the 3 diamond head, or a combination of both, but I have never been comfortable with this driver in my hand. It's also the most I have ever spent on one club so I haven't wanted to give up on it.
  • I am generally trying to play a fade these days but have plenty of double crosses and will pepper in a few fades that turn into full blown slices as well. Not great Bob! 

I am really hoping the TSi can help me get back to feeling comfortable with the driver in my hands. If this fitting & process doesn't work I may need to permanently remove driver from the bag because it probably means I am a lost cause!

Never a lost cause, you will get it figured out. That Ventus is pretty tip stiff, plus the triple diamond fade bias could be leading to the unexpected slices.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

An initial background on my game, specifically re: the driver.

• I am currently a 5.1 handicap. I have a pretty quick tempo, aggressive transition, and when I was last fitted was in the 106-108 mph swing speed range with the driver. 
  • Historically the driver was always the best part of my game, with 275 yd tight draws *when my timing was right*. 
  • My timing started getting bad and I decided to work on a swing change to get rid of my early extension & flipping issues about 2 years ago. It's been an adventure but my handicap is now as low as it has ever been and I feel much more confident... with 13 of the clubs in my bag. The exception is, the driver has been legitimately awful during that time and is now the worst part of my game. WTF!
  • I got fitted a little over a year ago with Truespec. The prescription from that was Epic Flash SZ with the Ventus Blue 6x, at something like $1000 all-in. I didn't want to fork over that much, and figured I'd find it on ebay for cheaper. So I bought a raw Ventus, and found an Epic Flash SZ (3 diamond) head thinking they were a bit fade-biased so could only help my issues, which have historically been lefts. At under $700 all-in, I was feeling pretty smart with my decision...
  • I'm not sure if it was my continued swing evolution, the difference between the standard Epic Flash SZ and the 3 diamond head, or a combination of both, but I have never been comfortable with this driver in my hand. It's also the most I have ever spent on one club so I haven't wanted to give up on it.
  • I am generally trying to play a fade these days but have plenty of double crosses and will pepper in a few fades that turn into full blown slices as well. Not great Bob! 

I am really hoping the TSi can help me get back to feeling comfortable with the driver in my hands. If this fitting & process doesn't work I may need to permanently remove driver from the bag because it probably means I am a lost cause!

This is great, I'm even more excited now that your fitting is there.  I don't know who you'll work with, but I've been through a fitting and witnessed a few others there, and they all are great and will get you dialed in for sure. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Throwing out something here for fun. Anyone want to guess what shaft that I am fitted into tomorrow during the fitting (shaft, flex, weight), based on the info I provided about my game? I will give away a small prize for who ever guesses the right (or closest) shaft.

You can assume the shafts will be from this list: https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/golf-drivers/tsi2

Updated 07/15/2022

6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Throwing out something here for fun. Anyone want to guess what shaft that I am fitted into tomorrow during the fitting (shaft, flex, weight), based on the info I provided about my game? I will give away a small prize for who ever guesses the right (or closest) shaft.

You can assume the shafts will be from this list: https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/golf-drivers/tsi2

That's an awesome way to generate some traffic on the thread, nice.

You don't think any custom shaft options will be available to you?  (Forgive me if that was in the text somewhere...I didn't apply.)

I'll go Tensei AV Blue RAW in the 55 model (58g) stiff.  No "prize" necessary, unless it's the club after you're done testing!

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

That's an awesome way to generate some traffic on the thread, nice.

You don't think any custom shaft options will be available to you?  (Forgive me if that was in the text somewhere...I didn't apply.)

I'll go Tensei AV Blue RAW in the 55 model (58g) stiff.  No "prize" necessary, unless it's the club after you're done testing!

Its possible that custom shaft options may be available but not confirmed as of now. For the purposes of this quick contest, we will keep it to the core shaft list in that link.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

This is a complete guess, but I'll assume you'll be looking for something with a bit higher launch, so I'll go with this:Screenshot_20201021-195822_Chrome.jpg.c39c80215eb0d319764620d74510f17a.jpg

Great start to the thread guys, this should be interesting. The new face material is intriguing. 

52 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I forgot the most basic thing in my intro, my name is Derrick if you didn't know that already.

I have been giving some thought to metrics that i plan to track as part of this test. Besides distance, I want to track playable shots off the tee. Maybe there is a better name or actual name for this, but what i mean is that fairways in regulation is not that important to me. A "playable" shot for me could be in the fairway or in the rough, but the second shot needs to have a chance to be either hit onto the green in regulation or a reasonable lay-up distance on a par 5. Anything that is OB, hazard, requires a punch out, etc., counts against this metric for me. I also think if i top a shot and it lands in the fairway but i only hit it 50 yards, that should also count against, even though its in the fairway.

I did something very similar with a stat i created a couple years ago-RGIR—meaning Realistic Greens in Regulation.  
So if i was behind a tree, or was 200 plus out on a par 4, i had no chance to reach either of those greens   But if i was in the fairway or light rough 130 yards out, that is a RGIR. So i tracked my stats on those to get an idea of my iron play  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I did something very similar with a stat i created a couple years ago-RGIR—meaning Realistic Greens in Regulation.  
So if i was behind a tree, or was 200 plus out on a par 4, i had no chance to reach either of those greens   But if i was in the fairway or light rough 130 yards out, that is a RGIR. So i tracked my stats on those to get an idea of my iron play  

That makes sense, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list