Jump to content

GOLFTEC Lessons


Recommended Posts

I started at golftec 2 months ago and have loved it. My average score was 110 and I’m trying to actually get better for next season. I mesh well with my coach and have learned a ton about my swing. I have much better contact now and hit a draw instead of a slice. I also like being able to review video of my lesson in the app. The other nice thing is I can go in and practice for up to 90 minutes a week seperate from my lesson. 

  • Like 2

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, chiefs2121 said:

I started at golftec 2 months ago and have loved it. My average score was 110 and I’m trying to actually get better for next season. I mesh well with my coach and have learned a ton about my swing. I have much better contact now and hit a draw instead of a slice. I also like being able to review video of my lesson in the app. The other nice thing is I can go in and practice for up to 90 minutes a week seperate from my lesson. 

What kind of package did you get and what was the cost?

  • Like 1
  • :taylormade-small: M3 driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :bridgestone-small:e12 soft golf balls
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Shankdog said:

What kind of package did you get and what was the cost?

I wanted a longer package so mine includes 25 lessons, either in the facility or on course, 1 fitting, and 90 minutes of practice time per week. It was right around 2k.

  • Like 3

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

Link to comment

Just make sure you like your coach. What I mean by like, They are willing to change tactics if you are having a hard time making the change they are looking for in your swing. the last coach I had had a love affair with a pool noodle, 5 straight lessons with that damn thing and wanted to strangle him with it. It wasn't working and I told him I didn't like it, just couldn't get used to it. He wasn't willing to change so I changed coaches had one lesson and haven't been back.

They are good guys and like them on a personal level, but as coaching goes, it wasn't a good fit. 

That all said I had 2 other coaches from Golftec who were awesome and helped me a ton. 

  • Like 1

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Just make sure you like your coach. What I mean by like, They are willing to change tactics if you are having a hard time making the change they are looking for in your swing. the last coach I had had a love affair with a pool noodle, 5 straight lessons with that damn thing and wanted to strangle him with it. It wasn't working and I told him I didn't like it, just couldn't get used to it. He wasn't willing to change so I changed coaches had one lesson and haven't been back.

They are good guys and like them on a personal level, but as coaching goes, it wasn't a good fit. 

That all said I had 2 other coaches from Golftec who were awesome and helped me a ton. 

Mine used the noodle just to give me a feel and then took it out. We use the video a lot the actual data from the monitor mostly. I’ve gotten better results each time and the drills have been good for my swing.

  • Like 2

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

Link to comment

I went years ago and it really wasn't for me.  While I understand what they are trying to do, I don't necessarily think you need to equate your positions to a PGA Tour Pro. 

To me it's more about your contact with the ball and being in control of that.  I do like that the lessons are recorded to some extent and all info is readily available.  It makes it so much easier to go back and review. 

As someone else mentioned, it does seem like the golf tec folks are a bit more single minded.  I believe the best coaches have a knack for communicating the necessary changes they believe with best help the student in a way that the student will gravitate towards.  People learn and think about things differently.  When a coach can simplify it helps immensely. Golf Tec, in my opinion, does not simplify anything, but rather does the opposite.

  • Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Link to comment

I have no experience with Golf Tec and have heard mixed reviews.  For me personally, they seem to generic and textbook... if that makes sense?  I would rather work with an independent, preferably someone closer to my age, that has a solid reputation.  I think success, with whoever you choose to get lessons from, is largely dependent on the personal connection the student and coach make.  If you feel confident in what he/she is suggesting and that they are working around your capabilities, as opposed to simply replicating the textbook swing mechanics, the likelihood of success increases greatly.  Good luck.

  • Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have no experience with Golf Tec and have heard mixed reviews.  For me personally, they seem to generic and textbook... if that makes sense?  I would rather work with an independent, preferably someone closer to my age, that has a solid reputation.  I think success, with whoever you choose to get lessons from, is largely dependent on the personal connection the student and coach make.  If you feel confident in what he/she is suggesting and that they are working around your capabilities, as opposed to simply replicating the textbook swing mechanics, the likelihood of success increases greatly.  Good luck.

I have been lucky in that my coach doesn’t just use what they tell him. It’s geared towards me and I love seeing the video when I make changes or what is off in my swing. As part of my package we have also done lessons outside and even playing lessons at a local course. So I like that I’m not just stuck in a generic situation but that I have their tech to see where I am off as well.

  • Like 2

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

Link to comment

My wife and I sighed p for 3 lesson each and I have o say that it was an enjoyable experience. However I still think it comes down that the Pro that is running it. Sam was one of the best I have had lessons with.

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - Preferred

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Link to comment

I just started a 10 lesson package at GolfTec and just had my 2nd lesson. I will say that I've been very pleased so far. My first lesson, there was a discussion about weight shift and what I thought it was and his explanation was very eye opening. I've played once since my lessons and working through the swing stuff on the course was tough, but I didn't want to revert right back to my old habits. I really find the video to be very valuable and good feedback. What I feel and what's actually going on are often drastically different. So far, its been worth it to me. 

  • Like 3

:cobra-small: RADSPEED Driver 9* HZRD BLUE SMOKE 6.0 shaft

:ping-small: G425 MAX 3 wood 

:srixon-small: 5 wood

:titelist-small: H1 Hybrid

 

Link to comment

Yes, focusing on the swing changes is crucial.  You'll, no doubt, have some bad shots and scores as you work on the improved swing, but as you continue to work on the new move, it will pay off later.  Keep working on it and don't get discouraged.  Change will take time.

  • Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
On 8/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, Roxy13113 said:

Has anyone had recent experience with lessons at GOLFTEC?

I've been taking a series of lessons at a nearby GolfTec center and have been fortunate to get paired with a really nice and really patient 😆 coach who has really helped me a LOT. Golf is slooowly becoming a lot less frustrating for me and even starting to become .. yep! .. a little enjoyable!

I will note, though, that... 
1. I'd also previously also thought that GolfTec lessons were a "formulaic", one size fits all kind of thing. Yes, their underlying teaching method is based upon their own research into measuring the movement patterns of Pro Tour players, but ... they do realize that not all normal human beings can move like a pro so they can adapt their lessons to the individual (and importantly keeping in mind that the individual has to be adaptable to learning and not, well, be stuck in their own ways of doing things).
..so..
2. Your experience and perception of their effectiveness can very largely be based on the relationship you have with your coach - but then that is going to be true with any golf instructor - communication and understanding are key! If you don't like the coach at your center then request a change.
..and..
3. Their ultimate goal is not to get you to swing just like a pro tour player but to get you to swing more alike to the movement patterns exhibited by the majority of pro tour players and ultimately to help *you* play better golf (not just better golf swing).

The pool noodle - I've seen a bunch of comments related to this; IMO the instructor is using it as a teaching aid - just like any other golf instructor might hold up a club shaft or an alignment stick - to visually illustrate, eg., a swing path or the limit of a swing motion. If the student is performing the movement as the instructor is asking then the noodle should be taken away.

So for someone starting out - check out the coachs' bios at your local center online and then see if you can schedule a "Swing Evaluation" with that person who appears of interest to you. This can allow you to check out both the learning center and the coach. 

* Buyer's Tip:
Try to time your purchase during the period when Golftec is having a sale .. they sometimes offer -15% off all "Game Plan" packages and Lesson Packs. One sale just ended in August and there may be another coming up in November (check their website for announcements).

  • Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment
4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I've been taking a series of lessons at a nearby GolfTec center and have been fortunate to get paired with a really nice and really patient 😆 coach who has really helped me a LOT. Golf is slooowly becoming a lot less frustrating for me and even starting to become .. yep! .. a little enjoyable!

I will note, though, that... 
1. I'd also previously also thought that GolfTec lessons were a "formulaic", one size fits all kind of thing. Yes, their underlying teaching method is based upon their own research into measuring the movement patterns of Pro Tour players, but ... they do realize that not all normal human beings can move like a pro so they can adapt their lessons to the individual (and importantly keeping in mind that the individual has to be adaptable to learning and not, well, be stuck in their own ways of doing things).
..so..
2. Your experience and perception of their effectiveness can very largely be based on the relationship you have with your coach - but then that is going to be true with any golf instructor - communication and understanding are key! If you don't like the coach at your center then request a change.
..and..
3. Their ultimate goal is not to get you to swing just like a pro tour player but to get you to swing more alike to the movement patterns exhibited by the majority of pro tour players and ultimately to help *you* play better golf (not just better golf swing).

The pool noodle - I've seen a bunch of comments related to this; IMO the instructor is using it as a teaching aid - just like any other golf instructor might hold up a club shaft or an alignment stick - to visually illustrate, eg., a swing path or the limit of a swing motion. If the student is performing the movement as the instructor is asking then the noodle should be taken away.

So for someone starting out - check out the coachs' bios at your local center online and then see if you can schedule a "Swing Evaluation" with that person who appears of interest to you. This can allow you to check out both the learning center and the coach. 

* Buyer's Tip:
Try to time your purchase during the period when Golftec is having a sale .. they sometimes offer -15% off all "Game Plan" packages and Lesson Packs. One sale just ended in August and there may be another coming up in November (check their website for announcements).

I agree with the tour player statement, mine has shown me a couple of them but it is more to show just what a perfect example of what he is teaching me could look like. It just shows that swing compared to mine and where I could be missing. I like it because I get a visual of what he is talking about. 

  • Like 1

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, chiefs2121 said:

I agree with the tour player statement, mine has shown me a couple of them but it is more to show just what a perfect example of what he is teaching me could look like. It just shows that swing compared to mine and where I could be missing. I like it because I get a visual of what he is talking about. 

Yeah I also find those visuals pretty helpful to reinforce .. or even explain in a different way .. what the coach is trying to get me to do. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment

I had a swing evaluation at a new location about 3 weeks ago. I was curious about their tech and what it might reveal about my swing as I get back into the game after a TKR. The tech is really impressive, but I've held off buying a package. The suggestions I was given were ok, but a bit on the cookie cutter side. I have a LiveView camera, which I've found really useful. I know what my swing should look, feel, and perform like, so at least for now, the visual feedback is more than enough. Once I get the obvious flaws worked out, if I still feel I'm leaving improvement on the table, maybe I'll consider a package, but I think Golf-Tec preaches stack and tilt and this is not for me. I'm not looking to change my swing, I'm just want to optimize what I have. If I feel the need, I can rent Trackman time at Golf Galaxy, and a range not too far way has Toptracer as well. 

Driver: :tour-edge: c721 9.5 / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Irons: :taylormade-small:P7MB 3-PW, Project X IO 5.5, 1.5 flat
Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 54/10, 58/12
Hybrid: :callaway-small: FT 20 degrees
Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP Cell Pro 3-4
Putter: EVNROLL ER2 Black

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...