Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How do you handle players who hit into you?

"Hit in to" is a broad range. If its 20-50 yards behind me, I give them the evil eye and move on. If they hit my cart or hit past me, we're going to chat. Attitude has a lot to do with it, as does whether or not they yelled a warning. You can usually tell if it was intentional or not based on the previous interactions up to that point. I've hit into people a bunch, rarely intentionally. I always drive up and apologize. I apologize once, if they keep railing on it, I tell them to buzz off.  I've had a few folks offer to fight, I'm usually willing if that's what you want.  If they stomp my ball or put it on a tee, I take the hint and just laugh and play on. Why take offense? I deserved it. 

Six months or so, someone hit my 13 year old son in the back and before I could even think about it, I lost my crap. I had a pitching wedge in my hand and hit it back to the tee. We were 220 or so out so there was no danger. On the next hole. the man who hit it told my son I was a rectal jester while I was in the restroom but didn't say anything to me directly. I asked him when I came out if there was an issue and he was quiet. I have hit back to the tee on very few occasions, never in a manner where I could actually hit someone. 

Add one of these to the bag 👍.

maxresdefault.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

• 3 weeks later...

This is really rare for me but it has happened before.  I play pretty fast and I always push my group when they are playing slow.  If someone actually hits into me and or my group I will jump in the cart and go talk to the group in a tactful manner. Hitting into someone is not unlike confrontations in a chat room.  Folks will do and say things differently when not within touching distance. I have yet to have someone threaten me when I confronted them. They usually apologize right away.  

Have I hit into someone before?  Yes, on purpose and by accident lol.  Some course have blind shots with no audible warning (bell) to sound the fairway is clear.  When I have done this it was 100% by accident, usually haven't even seen them in front of me until it happens.  Now hitting into someone on purpose wasn't really hitting into them.  I would never hit a ball that had a chance of hurting anyone.  However, I have sent friendly hints that landed 50 yards behind a very very very slow group.  Just being honest.  

Edited by SteddyGolf

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 3 weeks later...

I typically never confront someone for hitting into me because I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that nobody hits into someone on purpose.  Now, if it happens more than once then that usually goes out the window.  Key here also is if it is a flat golf course where they can definitely see you or not.  A lot of factors can play into whether to say something or not.  Some hardos will hit into people if they think the group in front is playing slow.  There are definitely situations where the group in front is playing slow but IMO that does not give someone the right to hit into them. 

Would be nice if we all just agreed to not hit into each other and let's all just have a good time out there ✌️✌️✌️

Luke Vermeer
Titleist Enthusiast

Driver : Titleist TS3
3-wood : Titleist TS2
Hybrid : Titleist TS2
Irons : Titleist 718 AP2 (Soon to be T-100)
Wedges : SM7's 50, 55 and 60 degree
Putter : Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Broomstick 48"
Golf Ball : Titleist PROV1
Bag : Titleist Tour Staff / Titleist Vokey Carry Bag

I've been hit as many times from my own foursome that from someone behind me.  

If it's a group behind me, I'll typically look back and shrug my shoulders.  Most of the time, they hit into us because they hit the shot of the lifetime.  How can you argue with that?   Most of the time, there's nothing malicious in the act so I just brush it off and focus on my next shot.  When it's more than once during a round, then there will have to be "some esplaining" as Ricky used to tell Lucy!  Those incidents are few and far between.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I have to say that I felt like hitting into a group today. I had 6 birdies and 2 bogies in the first 10 holes today. Play came to a complete stand still on hole # 11 and my round went in the tank soon afterwards. I realize that I need to not let slow play effect me, but come on. I was headed for the round of a lifetime for me. All I want to do is play at a consistent pace of play.

Edited by GaDawg
Grammer

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

If I know they are jacka$$e$ I typically would like to hit a ball back at them but I would rather stay out of trouble so I just forgive them for their transgressions and tell them to play through, then make a noticeable laugh when they make a bad shot after I've distracted them with a weird noise, haha.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 

Srixon ZX 2 Hybrid 

Srixon ZX 7 Wood

Srixon ZX5 Irons

Cleveland CBX Zipcore Wedges

Cleveland Milled Soft Putter 

I have bounced a ball or two into people and Always Always go, hat in hand, and apologize. That said if a ball comes into my group and I look back and those who are following are a good long ways back I just wave. The second time I find the tallest tee in my bag and put the offenders ball on that tee. The third time I make a very showy approach to the ball that flew into us, I wave at the offender, point at his(her) ball. bend over and pick it up and wave it at them, then very visibly put the ball in my pocket and walk off.  Some time later in the round I will leave the ball in the hole or on a tee box.  

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos: