Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best value golf ball?

1 hour ago, rjacobs4 said:

I've played the TaylorMade Tour Response with great success in the past.   I'm currently buying/using used mint ProV1's but I would go back to the Tour Response without much prompting.

Also I've not played but intrigued by Snell's new balls.  Anyone played them yet?

The tour response ball scuffed when I looked at it sideways. I would say it was me but no other ball I have played had that problem.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

14 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

The tour response ball scuffed when I looked at it sideways. I would say it was me but no other ball I have played had that problem.

I like the Taylormade Tour response. I've used regular white and a matte finish yellow. The matte yellow did show some scuffs after I hit it out of a bunker (once).

Edited by roland49

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

3 minutes ago, roland49 said:

I like the Taylormade Tour response. I've used regular white and a matte finish yellow. The matte yellow did show some scuffs after I hit it out of a bunker (once).

I tried them late fall and it was pretty chilly. warmer weather may soften them up a little and make them compress instead of scuff, who knows lol.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

28 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

I tried them late fall and it was pretty chilly. warmer weather may soften them up a little and make them compress instead of scuff, who knows lol.

Well, it was in the upper 70's to mid 80's here when I played them (last Thursday, 6/1/230).

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

Another place to look for value could be amazon. Many different brands there trying to make a name fo themselves. In fact I tried one brand based on reviews on this forum

PB420

9 hours ago, archship said:

My Best Value Golf Balls are the ones I find, clean, and sort to either use (Pro V1) or give away (other 3 and 4 piece balls) or send out to the range (everything else). I literally find hundreds of balls per year because I walk courses, glance in the woods, weeds, and water as I go by, and only lose one or two every few rounds, so I have not bought balls in 20+ years!  

That sounds like my good friend who’s an old course pro, now in his 80’s, who hasn’t bought a ball in over a dozen years.  He will tell you they all hit the same to him - straight down the middle but not too far.  For me, the best value ball maybe the 100 or so Pro-V1/-V1x’s given me last fall by my neighbor’s gentleman friend.  Granted they are earlier generations-but they for the most part look like they’ve never been struck.  They’re from his son’s course where he works as a course pro in Atlanta.  Never been so at ease in terms of hitting “free” $4 golf balls and with that freedom goes away the fear of losing one!  On the flip side Bridgestones work well (like the e6 and e12), Top Flite Gamers, Srixon Q Star and all the OPB’s that I’ve found at the course.  For me it comes down to what feels good off the putter, sounds crisp off the irons and flies like it has afterburners off the driver.  Still looking for that magic bullet! 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Maxfli straightfli is basically the 2 piece version of the Maxfli trifli. Same dimple pattern and allegedly negligible difference in results.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

I am trying both the TriFli and the Straightfli. So far I've tried the former for 9 holes and liked it, although I didn't find it particularly straight off the tee. I'm hoping that the Straightfli lives up to its name. 

I played the Q Star previously and liked it at the time. It was hard to come by this spring as they were changing from last year's stock to this year's. I ordered 3 dozen and will be testing it again. No doubt a better ball than those priced $5/dozen less, but the question is are the improvements worth the extra price for a high handicapper. We'll see! 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

After a long time of just buying the recycled balls, I started using Vice this year. I have been impressed with them so far and in my area you can pick them up in Walmart. Color may not be the cheapest ($38 for a dozen), but I feel they have helped me improve my game and I generally find myself in the fairway or slightly off. Again my not be the cheapest, but better then spending $50 for pro v1.

Hello

I was playing Maxfli Tour 4 pc and really liked them. I have now switch to SUGAR GOLF BALLS.  3pc ball at 80 compression. It’s a direct to consumer $60-65 for a Cube of 27 balls. I find the ball durable, long and good around the greens. That’s under $ 2.50 a ball. I even got a $5 off coupon plus a free hat. The price also included tax and shipping. Go to Sugargolf.com you won’t be disappointed…..

Mark J. Ruble

Sugar golf balls.

80 compression 

white 3pc

Direct to consumer 

Cube of balls is 27 $60-65 includes tax and shipping 

I got a $5 off coupon plus a free hat

durable, long and good around the greens 

Sugar Golf.com

Great ball…

Mark J. Ruble

Maxfli Softfli is a 35 compression ball. Straightfli is 85ish. TopFlite Hammer Control is 70ish, while the Hammer Distance is mid 80's. Also, there is the TF XL, which is 90. Pinnacle Rush is high 80 comp., and for me, was the longest ball I had ever played, but with no manners around the green. I currently play the Hammer Control, with my 80ish swing speed, being a high capper, I like this ball. With my CBX2 wedges, and the "dimple in dimple" cover, it works very well on the greens, as it checks well, with a little run out. I have never tried the the Distance model, but may be more to your liking, with your 90 SS. Hope this helps...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

IMO, Noodle Long & Soft or Bridgestone e6

WITB (at the moment...):

Driver:  TaylorMade SIM Max2

Fairway Wood:  Callaway Rogue 3-Wood

Hybrid:  Callaway Rogue 3-Hybrid

Irons:  Callaway Apex21

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey Spin Milled & Cleveland CG14

Putter:  EVNROLL ER8

Golf Ball:  Titleist Tour Soft

I’m a high handicapper trying to improve for the last couple of years.  My swing speed is “mid”.  I’m retired now and play 2-3 times per week.  I had been playing the Kirkland balls for a couple years and not really caring if I lost a few each round.  I also played a lot of “found” balls and have some opinions.  The Kirklands were fine, but felt hard and were hard to control off the tee.  Last fall I tried the yellow Maxfli Tour.  Not very happy.  They scuffed terribly and didn’t feel any softer or more controllable off the tee than Kirklands.  I had a couple dozen orange two-piece StraightFli balls in bright orange that I pulled out for fall after the yellow Tours and they were OK for cheap balls, but the covers felt really hard and just plain didn’t impress me.  This year I’ve been playing the 3-piece ionomer cover TriFli balls almost exclusively.  The lower 45 compression is great.  They feel great off my driver and I AM hitting a little longer and definitely straighter.  They’ve been predictable length off my irons (though not frequently enough in the right direction - as is my problem with any ball).  Full swings with wedges and short irons near the green don’t roll-out on the green too much.  They feel good putting.  I usually lose a couple balls each round (MAJOR success, regardless of score, when I finish with the same ball I started with).  But at $40/2 doz. At GG or Dick’s, I don’t feel like I’m wasting a lot of money on balls and I’m happy enough with TriFlis to not put any other found balls in play.

Lousy golfer, but playing makes me happy.😀

WITB:
PXG Proto 0811X+ Driver
PXG Proto 0341X 5W
PXG Proto 0317X 22deg and 25deg Hybrids
PXG Gen3 0311XP irons 5-GW (5i only for chipping from under trees 😕)
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52deg & 56deg wedges
Putter-PXG Gunboat w/Superstroke regrip + others I design and mill from super-dense wood.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:39 PM, elight said:

"Value" means different things to different people. I am specifically looking for an inexpensive ball that will suit a high-handicapper with a medium (95 mph) swing speed who loses a lot of balls. I have come to the realization that, for a high-handicapper, there is little reason to pay a premium for a tour-quality ball - even a DTC one - when you are likely to lose 2-3 per round, and are unlikely to reap the performance benefits. I'd rather something cheap but consistent. I have been playing Maxfli Tour balls, but even these I feel are too expensive at the rate I'm losing them (and new model not yet available in yellow). For good reason, it seems that most of the analysis going into tour-level balls

So, here are my requirements:

• Must be available in yellow or a similar high-visibility color.
  • Must be available for < $25/dozen (or seemingly always on sale for that price).
  • Must not be too soft (60+ if not 70+ compression - or talk me out of this requirement).
  • Must not be too spinny off the tee (again, talking about high handicappers trying to keep it in play).

Last year, I gamed Srixon Soft Feel a lot and kept finding myself coming back to it. Looks like they're still reasonably priced, and are finally available to ship in yellow (but not available locally). I also ordered 5 dozen Snell Get Sum in yellow for $80 (+$10 shipping) which seems to be a steal, but I imagine this is a closeout price and once they're gone, they're gone. I saw the thread here about the Maxfli TriFli which is intriguing at 2 for $40 (although 45 compression seems too low). Would love to try Vice Tour at $20/dozen, but not available in anything other than white.

Most of what's out there on this topic on the greater Internet appears to be stuff that was written by robots with the primary purpose of getting you to click on an affiliate link. So what's the Maxli Tour of non-urethane balls?

I work at a golf course, the ball of choice bought in the Pro shop by the high handicap players is The Noodle . the next is ProV or TP5 don't ask me why . The Noodle cost $25 for 18 balls and the ProV & TP5 $55 for 12 balls. They all do the same thing a perfect 220 yards huge slice or a 150 yard duck hook. On the bright side I go out twice a week and find the ProV. Thanks 

Did you try starting from the green, find the ball you like to putt and chip or pitch with, and then work backwards thru your lofts and swing weights on irons to work with that ball, and especially Mr. Driver, find the loft and flex etc. for you.  I read about doing this, start with the short game feel and spin etc.  I liked urethane on the green, and the rest of my infrequent schedule to play a round, well, any urethane for now.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I’ve been playing the cheap top-flight balls up until I started improving. Have been playing some cheaper Wilson balls recently but noticed I tend to play better with a more expensive ball like the Maxfli tour on oncore x1. It may be in my head or it may be that I play safer since I don’t want to lose the expensive balls. Either way it has been helping to lower my scores this season. Good luck finding your fit!

Callaway junkie with a Scotty for the win.

Balls have been procured. Accidently double-ordered the Srixons. Also, received a box of TM Distance+ as an early Father's Day gift. Sort of wish I could add the OnCore ELIXR (currently B2G1 free, bringing the price down to $20/dozen), which would be interesting as a 3-piece urethane ball at a price point even lower than the MaxFli Tour, but I really can't buy more balls than I already have, and also it appears they only come in white.

PXL_20230613_010749482.NIGHT.jpg.73289a281acdb736ca60106929e20f37.jpg

Very curious about the Srixon Soft Feel! They stood out to me when I was looking at the Ball Lab data for budget balls. I also need to start playing a brighter color ball for identification purposes and like their yellow.
I'm currently playing Straightflis that I got a big box of.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

On 6/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, BallsLeon said:

Very curious about the Srixon Soft Feel! They stood out to me when I was looking at the Ball Lab data for budget balls. I also need to start playing a brighter color ball for identification purposes and like their yellow.
I'm currently playing Straightflis that I got a big box of.

You will not be disappointed with the yellow soft feels. Good value, feel and great yellow color. The best yellow out there. 

Edited by NC Golfer

I will probably test the Soft Feels last, since they are the ball that I played the most last year. They always seemed to fly straight for me.

I am going to post everything as a big unofficial review once I get through all the balls. So it might be a while. I will say that so far I've played the Snell Get Sum, the MaxFli TriFli, and the TopFlite Hammer Control. The Get Sum was a disaster - probably set a personal record for most balls lost in one round, just couldn't keep the thing in play. The TriFli seemed like a good all-around performer but I don't understand the non-sale price point, and am not a huge fan of a matte finish. The Hammer Control was impressive, with high heights and straight flights at a great price point (especially the sale price). 

I've played 4 rounds with the Q Star yellow and I am very happy with them. Good performance and very easy to see off the tee and in the rough

Driver- Mizuno STZ 230

5w- Taylor Made Stealth

5-GW- Mizuno JPX 923 Forged

Wedges- Cleveland

Putter- Odyssey

Handicap- 14

I just finished my second  9-hole round with the Hammer Control - I am impressed! This thing definitely flies straighter than the others I've tested thus far. It is a very capable ball considering it's one the cheapest you'll find (currently on sale for $1/ball).

The Maxfli StraightFli will be next, as it makes sense to test these two balls which specifically advertise a straighter flight one after the other. I am holding the full write-ups until they're all tested.