Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best value golf ball?

The best "value ball" is the one that gives you the performance you want, with some minor compromise maybe, at the lowest price. For some, that best value may come from a ProV1 for someone who is more demanding.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

I can agree with @elight on the TopFlite Hammer balls - have found a few that are in the found ball collection and played a few rounds with them.  I like how they fly, and seem reasonably good around the green. They definitely strike down the “rock Flite” stigma.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Recently tried Srixon softfeels....love them.  May be my new go to.

Just curious about the Kirklands.....does the box label them as v2 or v3?  How would one know?

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

On 6/16/2023 at 6:56 AM, elight said:

Balls have been procured. Accidently double-ordered the Srixons. Also, received a box of TM Distance+ as an early Father's Day gift. Sort of wish I could add the OnCore ELIXR (currently B2G1 free, bringing the price down to $20/dozen), which would be interesting as a 3-piece urethane ball at a price point even lower than the MaxFli Tour, but I really can't buy more balls than I already have, and also it appears they only come in white.

PXL_20230613_010749482.NIGHT.jpg.73289a281acdb736ca60106929e20f37.jpg

Holy Hedoublehockeysticks... that is a serious cache of balls.  It would take the rest of my days to use, lose, and/or retire that many balls 😁.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a 48 pack of callaway pack hex tours balls, they’re a bit harder than the chrome soft with a lower flight…. My windy day ball

Edited by Thunderbucket

10.5 Nike square w/ UST shaft

Ping 425max 3wood

Sonartec 2 hybrid

Nike square 3 - 4 hybrids

Ping G710 5-pw

Callaway x tour wedges

Yes putter

Callaway chrome soft

IMG_0595.gif

When I started playing again, I had a lot of luck with Maxfli Straightfli. You can usually get a 4 dozen box for around $70. 

Driver: Callaway Rouge ST

3W: Callaway Rouge ST

Irons: Callaway Mavrik

52: Titleist Vokey SM8

58: Jaws Raw

On 6/29/2023 at 5:33 PM, EEZurg said:

Recently tried Srixon softfeels....love them.  May be my new go to.

Just curious about the Kirklands.....does the box label them as v2 or v3?  How would one know?

Kirkland V3 packaging is different (now predominantly black). Also, "Performance +" alignment mark on ball itself is different.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

1 minute ago, Hobert said:

Packaging is different (now predominantly black). Also, "Performance +" alignment mark on ball itself is different.

... Yup. V2 on the left and V3 on the right:

KirklandV2V3.JPG.4346b4d72023bb6711993ec24db7c45a.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Kirkland V3 packaging

image.png.c217fb98616494f1455e53e926f1b222.png

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

excellent....Thanks all

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update on my findings before moving into the final phase of testing (which is the Q Star and Maxfli Tour balls).

Overall, I only found one ball that I really didn't like, which is the Snell Get Sum. Just seems excessively spinny off the tee, while also perhaps being the worst performer greenside, and not having any noticeably distance advantage. So basically does nothing in any area to help a high handicapper's game.

On the extreme value end, I liked both the Top Flite Hammer Distance and Maxfli Straightfli for different reasons. Basically, both live up to their billing. The Hammer Distance really did produce an extra 10+ yards for me throughout my bag. The Straightfli was noticeably straighter than probably any other ball tested. Both were decent on approach but mediocre around the green as expected.

The Soft Feel seems to really be middle of the pack in every area. A "jack of all trades, master of none" type ball. It probably won't help you in any area, but won't hurt you either. It's probably a good place for a beginner to start before being able to identify what their priorities and needs are in a golf ball.

On the higher end of the value spectrum, we have the TriFli and the Q Star. I really, really like the TriFli. The greenside spin is noticeably better than the aforementioned balls, I suppose thanks to the 3-piece construction. It just performs well all around except for distance which might be expected for a 45-compression ball. I played the Q Star a while back but want to play it again before any final judgments.

Finally, after playing these balls for the past two months, I want to then switch back to the Maxfli Tour (which I had been playing) and also a Pro V1 (have never really played other than found balls, but have a box that I received as a gift), to get a better feel for how, if any, my game compares with a tour-level ball.

At the end of the day, we understand that you are sacrificing quality for price when you don't play a tour-level ball. But unless money is no object, at some point you will do the math of how many strokes a better ball is likely to gain you (if any) and decide if the extra price is worth it. Although I know that the official MGS line is that these balls aren't worth testing because they are clearly inferior, but I think that this testing is worthwhile to establish these two parameters (likely performance impact especially for high handicappers/beginners vs. price), since almost everyone is doing this math in some capacity. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

5 minutes ago, elight said:

At the end of the day, we understand that you are sacrificing quality for price when you don't play a tour-level ball. But unless money is no object, at some point you will do the math of how many strokes a better ball is likely to gain you (if any) and decide if the extra price is worth it.

... To be fair, there are more than a few tour level and especially DTC tour level balls that are low cost. Like the Kirkland V3 at $14 a dozen. 

The Kirkland balls are an outlier, and their unique properties are well documented. It's possible that this ball could be good for some players who want/need a very spinny ball, but I don't think this describes the vast majority of high handicappers. I played the ball last year and found this to be true. 

Among the DTC balls, we're really talking about the Maxfli Tour ($2.50/ball if you buy 48), Vice Pro ($2.67/ball if you buy 60), and maybe Snell MTB ($2.67/ball if you buy 60). These balls are already tested extensively and certainly there are a great many people who would benefit from using them and for whom they would constitute a great value especially in comparison to other tour-level offerings. 

Check out the Sugar balls. We have some members currently testing them, here is the thread:

They are value priced. I took advantage of a discount code they offered when the testers were announced and I have been pleased with the performance of these balls. Sugar is marketing them as a value competitor of the ProV1 and honestly they aren’t far off. Decent distance off the tee and good spin around the greens.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

53 minutes ago, elight said:

The Kirkland balls are an outlier, and their unique properties are well documented. It's possible that this ball could be good for some players who want/need a very spinny ball, but I don't think this describes the vast majority of high handicappers. I played the ball last year and found this to be true. 

... You are talking about the V2, not the V3. 

I personally do not buy Kirklands cause I don’t have a Costco membership. You CAN buy them off resellers on Amazon, but most of the listings are for refurbished balls. I have yet to see the V3 listed as well.

Edit: This is wrong lol

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

Among the DTC balls, we're really talking about the Maxfli Tour ($2.50/ball if you buy 48), Vice Pro ($2.67/ball if you buy 60), and maybe Snell MTB ($2.67/ball if you buy 60). These balls are already tested extensively and certainly there are a great many people who would benefit from using them and for whom they would constitute a great value especially in comparison to other tour-level offerings. 

58 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

It has to be the QStar Tour now at $35 per dozen. The balls seems to fit many swing types. We're likely going to see a big bump in the newest gen when it arrives. Add their buy two and get the 3rd free occasionally, it's been a good value.

Good case/point.  I'd say that Maxfli Tour and Tour X, initially released and priced, owned this space. Pricing (post Covid) has definitely shifted the landscape a bit.  MGS's Ball Lab's "actual price" calculation is a good measure of answering your question presuming one has narrowed down which comparable ball offerings fits them best.

It might exist, I dunno... but it would be great to see a cummulative data set that has all the ball tests ever done and key findings to include retail vs. actual price.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, BallsLeon said:

I personally do not buy Kirklands cause I don’t have a Costco membership. You CAN buy them off resellers on Amazon, but most of the listings are for refurbished balls. I have yet to see the V3 listed as well.

You can buy direct from Costco online without a membership. Prices can be slightly higher and you have to pay a 5% non-member fee, but with that included the K-sigs are still the cheapest Urethane ball money can buy.

I play the V3's and have no problem with excessive spin, and a slice on the tee is usually my miss. Wedges and irons spin as good or better than any other ball I've played.

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

9 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Check out the Sugar balls. We have some members currently testing them, here is the thread:

They are value priced. I took advantage of a discount code they offered when the testers were announced and I have been pleased with the performance of these balls. Sugar is marketing them as a value competitor of the ProV1 and honestly they aren’t far off. Decent distance off the tee and good spin around the greens.

Good to hear - was wondering if some would be posting "non-official" reviews as well.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

@hbetts well damn! My apologies, I stand corrected. That is a great deal.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

1 minute ago, Willie T said:

Good to hear - was wondering if some would be posting "non-official" reviews as well.  

Maybe, once the official testing is wrapped up. Without stepping on the tester’s toes, I can say I like the ball and would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

Just for kicks, broke out a sleeve of Srixion Soft Feel for the round Saturday afternoon with my son and grandson.  Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the humidity but I felt like I was a club to a club and a half short all day.  The ball just seemed to rise and die.   Anyway, they won't be part of the upcoming wedge testing with the Indi wedges....

Hold on - if a dozen Maxfli Tour balls costs $40, that's $10 if you lose three balls in a round. If you drop down to a non-tour ball at $25 dozen, that's $6 in lost balls in the same round.

Is saving $4 per round worth it?  Putting with a urethane ball is far superior.  Urethane balls check up with wedges around the green. Maxfli offers one of the highest quality balls on the market.

Do a side-by-side putting and chipping test with 3 Maxfli Tour balls and 3 non-tour balls. Suspect you'll have your answer very quickly.

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

46 minutes ago, Duxman130 said:

Hold on - if a dozen Maxfli Tour balls costs $40, that's $10 if you lose three balls in a round. If you drop down to a non-tour ball at $25 dozen, that's $6 in lost balls in the same round.

Is saving $4 per round worth it?  Putting with a urethane ball is far superior.  Urethane balls check up with wedges around the green. Maxfli offers one of the highest quality balls on the market.

Do a side-by-side putting and chipping test with 3 Maxfli Tour balls and 3 non-tour balls. Suspect you'll have your answer very quickly.

... Good points and when you buy the Cube of 4 dozen, the Maxfli Tour and Tour X drop to $30 a dozen so you are saving even less. If you don't wanna spend the $120, 2 dozen Maxfli's are usually on sale for $35 a dozen. I always think a urethane ball is best for almost any player because sooner or later you will be faced with a shot where you need to spin the ball, especially a pitch or chip to a short sided pin. You may not have the skill to pull it off consistently and granted if hitting it very fat or thin, the type of ball won't matter but if you do pull off the shot with decent results it should encourage you to do a little more short game practice so you can do it again. 

... Other than the already mentioned Maxfli's and Sugar balls, there are often sales from previous years offerings and many DTC's that make the cost much more palatable. I would add I disagree with elight and have introduced several slower 85 and under swing speed high index players on to the Kirkland V2's and the added spin produced more distance off the tee. I put a new Aldila NVS sr flex shaft in my 81 yr old pard and with the Kirkland V2 he gained 20 yards off the tee. After struggling to shoot in the low 80's the added distance had him shooting under his age several times now. 

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

I always think a urethane ball is best for almost any player because sooner or later you will be faced with a shot where you need to spin the ball, especially a pitch or chip to a short sided pin. You may not have the skill to pull it off consistently and granted if hitting it very fat or thin, the type of ball won't matter but if you do pull off the shot with decent results it should encourage you to do a little more short game practice so you can do it again. 

This is kind of where I'm at right now. I have a few dozen e12 Contact to play, but from here on out I think I'll be going strictly urethane balls  when I stock up. I'm losing a lot less than I used to, and finding that with some of the courses I play, having a little extra bite around the greens especially when they're dry is going to work in my favor. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Maybe, once the official testing is wrapped up. Without stepping on the tester’s toes, I can say I like the ball and would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

... Maybe you can answer this Ben, but the pictures seem to show a very shiny cover that looks like a cheap surlyn covered ball to my eye. I know it's urethane but my lifelong personal bias just won't let me play a shiny cheap looking ball. The original CUT ball had this same look. I know pictures can be deceiving and wondered if they look the same in person? 

I've been a Srixon Soft Feel fan for around four years now. I've used them at least 80% of my rounds during that time. I don't see any lo9ss of distance with them but no, they don't check up as well on the green on approach shots. As has been stated, the price is hard to beat for a quite good ball. I also like the Maxfli Tour X but keep going back to the Soft Feel's because the Maxfli's didn't come in yellow or green which are easier for me to follow and find in the rough. I want to try the Q Star Tours but haven't yet.

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Maybe you can answer this Ben, but the pictures seem to show a very shiny cover that looks like a cheap surlyn covered ball to my eye. I know it's urethane but my lifelong personal bias just won't let me play a shiny cheap looking ball. The original CUT ball had this same look. I know pictures can be deceiving and wondered if they look the same in person? 

Hopefully the picture does it justice. In comparing the finish of the ball with a ProV1, it’s stated target competition , the finish of the ball is very similar. I would not characterize it as glossy or shiny. IMG_1022.jpeg.a5a4ecc82500a2824171e1cc41817735.jpeg

WITB: